Just got the Gunbuster/Diebuster movies.

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel

Just got the Gunbuster/Diebuster movies.

•      
  •      

Postby flatulant » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:51 am

If anyone wants, I'll give a review tomorrow.
Last edited by flatulant on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:49 am

You mean these movies?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=7455

flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby flatulant » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:01 am

Ornette wrote:You mean these movies?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=7455

Yes, those movies.
"Also, Ursus: Hohenstein, Rei, and Smith have to merge to create like an AWESOME 3I hybrid being! GIANT NAKED SMITH!" - SSD

flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby flatulant » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:33 pm

Okay, my review is going to be in three parts. Part 1 is the gunbuster movie, 2 is the diebuster movie, and 3 is going to be the extras.

BEWARE OF SPOILERS

Okay, the Gunbuster movie, as we all know, is Gunbuster condensed into 95 minutes. I feel they did a pretty good job condensing it, even though I missed the characterization. It starts out with the opening of episode 2, with Coach and Admiral Takaya aboard the Luxion. It then jumps 6 years later, to the condensed episode 1, which left out the Inazuma Kick. After episode 1, it plays the opening sequence from the series (which I thought was a nice touch) Episode 2 has the whole Amano/Jung rivarly cut for the latter half with encountering the Luxion. Episode 3 starts with Noriko and Smith on the tram, then cuts to Noriko overhearing Amano and Coach. All the scenes with Smith are intact after that, and then comes the first Sortie. We have Noriko visiting Smith's comrades and Coach after that, and then we have snippets of Noriko's training from episode 4 set to some sad music.

It then cuts to the attack in subspace, followed by them warping out. The battle of Haley's Comet is completely intact. Episodes 5 and 6 are mostly uncut. And sorry, episode 6 is still in black and white.

Now that I have the summary out of the way, I'll review the new audio. As you probably already know, they redid all the audio just for this release. It's mostly superb, with only a few minor complaints. I noticed a few extra sound effects here and there.

They did a good job transferring the movie to DVD format. The picture quality I felt was actually improved from the series subs that I have on my computer.

All in all, I give this movie a 9/10

As soon as I watch Diebuster the movie, I'll post a review of it, including summaries of the new scenes.
Last edited by flatulant on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:47 pm

flatulant wrote:And Hooray!!!, episode 6 is still in black and white.

Fixed
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:49 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
flatulant wrote:And Hooray!!!, episode 6 is still in black and white.

Fixed

This man speaks truth, ep 6 in b/w is awesome. Makes it really stand out.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:56 pm

Ep 6 with colors would pretty much defeat point of it all

Honestly, it works and looks so much more beautiful without colors

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:43 pm

Wasn't that the whole idea... so viewers would focus on the story rather than the awesome Space Battles and bustgunner?
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:18 pm

"Background art doesn't shirk on detail, and coloration is vivid without being glossy or overly bright. Or at least it is that way until the final episode, which was done almost all in black-and-white despite the use of color film. Appearances to the contrary, the monochrome effect was actually a deliberate artistic decision by Anno and not due to the budgetary issues GAINAX is almost legendary for; according to the accompanying booklet, the move was done to focus the final episode more on the “immensity of ideas” of sci-fi storytelling on display (and there are a lot of them) than the quality of the visuals. Whether or not one will get that point without actually reading about it in the booklet is debatable, but such a move does command attention."

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:35 am

I would buy Gunbuster on DVD, but it's $70 at Best Buy.

70. Fucking. Dollars. I couldn't possibly make this shit up.

That's $10 more expensive than Eva, for fuck's sake.
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Oh wait, did you mean the fruit?

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:32 am

Xard wrote:Appearances to the contrary, the monochrome effect was actually a deliberate artistic decision by Anno and not due to the budgetary issues GAINAX is almost legendary for; according to the accompanying booklet, the move was done to focus the final episode more on the “immensity of ideas” of sci-fi storytelling on display (and there are a lot of them) than the quality of the visuals. Whether or not one will get that point without actually reading about it in the booklet is debatable, but such a move does command attention."

Fun and games with Yasuhiro Takeda!

The Notenki Memoirs wrote:For the last episode, he did the unthinkable - he filmed the episode entirely in black and white on color film. Deliberately doing so cost the studio a lot more money, and a whole lot more effort than was necessary.

Anyway, I'm really interested in a review of DieBuster, especially what the supposed new scenes were. And the extras that came with the set, I've been wondering what all of those were...

And SeanTucker, Honneamise's prices are already famous. The reason the price is now the SRP, instead of lower, is because Bandai Visual collapsed due to low sales because of high prices. They got folded into Bandai Entertainment, but I don't think they'll take returns from the store for BV releases.
Also, the Gunbuster vs. DieBuster movie set has a SRP of $80, and all 3 volumes of Gunbuster 2 (which had 2 eps each) had a SRP of $40, meaning $120 to get the whole series.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby flatulant » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:13 pm

Wow, someone who finally wants me to review the Diebuster movie and the extras. That's the main reason I didn't review them, lack of interest.

Let me just pull out the old DVD so I can write the review as I'm watching it.
Last edited by flatulant on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:06 pm

All the films are available on Amazon for Region 1 release.

The whole thing is coming out on THE DARK KNIGHT day...er...December 9.

GUNBUSTER THE MOVIE:

http://www.amazon.com/Gunbuster-Blu-ray-Movie/dp/B001FZ09SC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1224273792&sr=1-4

DIEBUSTER THE MOVIE

http://www.amazon.com/Diebuster-Blu-ray-Movie/dp/B001FZ09SM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1224273869&sr=1-1

GUNBUSTER VS. DIEBUSTER BOX SET

http://www.amazon.com/Gunbuster-vs-Diebuster-Gattai-Blu-ray/dp/B001FZ09RS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1224273908&sr=1-2

I've never seen this films but really want too. I've yet to find a good torrent for the films. I have to say the box covers are pretty awesome.

Only downside- The prices (ouch) and it looks like they're only going BLU-RAY...which does me no good at the moment....

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:12 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Only downside- The prices (ouch) and it looks like they're only going BLU-RAY...which does me no good at the moment....

Those prices are actually lower than I expected, given the going rate for Japanese Blu-Ray (and the price of Wings of Honneamise).

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:56 pm

So has flatulant still not seen the Diebuster movie yet?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:41 am

Flatulant is a very timely and reliable reviewer.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:40 pm

I just watched the Gunbuster movie. While there were several improvements the film made, overall I was rather disappointed. Almost all the emotion is lost, as there's barely any characterization of anyone except Noriko. The ending still made me cry a little, but I felt that the emotional impact would have been much less had I not seen the series first.

BAD:

-Almost everything (especially before the OP) really feels way more like a recap than an actual presentation. They're just showing the events without giving you much of a reason to care about them. Almost all of Noriko's teasing by her classmates was eliminated, you never see or hear of Reiko Kashihara AT ALL until she's already graduated and is working as a coaching instructor, and Smith seems not like Noriko's love interest, but just like this guy she met a couple of times before she fought against the Space Monsters with him.

-This really fits into the previous statement here, but I felt that I need to mention this separately because it's so important. Jung Freud has practically no role at all in this film. You don't even realize that the "Jung" that they mentioned once or twice earlier in the film is this random pilot you see a couple of times until she's telling Noriko how sad she is that they won't be able to live in the same time anymore. Why are they acting so close? As far as one can tell from this movie, Jung never even talked to Noriko before then. This really takes away from the finale.

-This isn't something that they changed, but it's still annoying: the jitter is still awful. I'd think that for an HD theatrical release, they'd have fixed it, but it's still there and being in high definition makes it all the more distracting. I'm pretty sure there are programs that can remove that automatically, but they didn't bother at all. Even if they had to do it manually, a lot of the time we're looking at a still shot or something with just three repeating frames of animation that are unintentionally bouncing all over the place. This would take a very short time to fix and would really improve the film.

-The made-up science is completely unexplained. Don't expect to have any idea what a Doppler-Lorentz shift is if you haven't watched the science lessons from the original series. And what's all this about subspace ether? Isn't that theory completely superseded? You need the end-of-episode science lessons for this stuff.

GOOD:

-The introdump is eliminated. I felt that Noriko's school report was unnecessary, as you see all the information that it related throughout the first two episodes. It was pointless, and I'm glad they removed it.

-Several other redundancies and otherwise unengaging scenes were eliminated. Of course, I'd gladly prefer to have those redundancies in along with the more necessary characterization scenes over having all of those removed entirely.

-Jung Freud is only ever referred to as Jung. I laughed when I first heard her full name when I watched the series, and I'm sure it wasn't supposed to be funny.

-It's in high definition. Of course that's a good thing, even with all the jitter, cel flaws, and other artifacts.

-The final episode appears to have been left in mostly, if not entirely, unedited.

UNDECIDED:

-The entire audio track was re-recorded for the sake of presenting it in better quality. I didn't compare the acting in the original to the new acting, so I can't say which version I feel is better. The datedly synthy music is left unchanged, though. Normally I'd say that it would have been better to redo the music with a more modern synthesizer or even a real orchestra, but since this was shown with a film version of Diebuster perhaps it's better to have left it as is.

-I've always felt that Gunbuster's biggest flaw was that there were so many out-of-place instances of fanservice. There'd be a scene that was supposed to be sad and poignant, then in the middle of the scene there'd be some distractingly jiggly breasts and I'd laugh. I can only imagine how much this effect would be amplified if I had seen it when it first came out, before the Gainax bounce had become so ubiquitous. This movie removed almost all of the fanservice (which I'm sure must have brought many of the Gainax staff to tears). Normally, that wouldn't be bothersome. However, this means that the only times there's any nudity are when it's in the middle of an important scene that can't be removed, meaning that the only time there's any nudity is when it's the worst time for it to be present. This amplifies the jarring effect.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:29 pm

I wonder then.....is this movie or rather the Gettai Blu ray set even worth buying? Seems like NAveryW and others have expressed their overall dislike for the editing and now lack of characterization due to shorter air time.

So what I would like to ask is this. Given if I'm a big fan of Gunbuster and Diebuster (enjoying both of those OVAs immensely) would it be a done deal that i would enjoy the Gattai movies as well?

Is it worth it spending $80 on this set?

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:42 pm

I wouldn't waste your money. The movie doesn't even come close to the originals.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:03 pm

I wanted to see this series for a while now but the DVD sets are too much for me. I would like to watch them on Youtube one day though.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”