Gurren-Lagann: GAINAX'S Epic! (There Be Massive Spoilers)

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:13 pm

SeanTucker wrote:"Giga Drill Break" = fail

"GIGA... DURRIIIIRUUU... BUREEAAAAAKAAAHHHH" = epic fucking win

(Yes, I prefer the fansub to the official sub/dub by a massive margin. Bandai didn't just drop the ball, they threw it off a goddamn cliff.)

Breaking news: Licensing company refuses to pamper one fan, chooses professional approach instead

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:25 pm

It's not like it changes the outcome or the move itself. STOP ARGUING ABOUT IT LIKE A BUNCH OF WEEABOO FAGS! Love y'all! :heart:
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:31 pm

A lot of this is just arguing over the differences between USAn and Japanese vowel values (for which I confess to preferring the latter).

SeanTucker wrote:I honestly like Gurren Brigade a lot better than Team Gurren, too. Hell, they could have done a direct translation and called it the Red Brigade, and I wouldn't be complaining.

But I'm sure other people would... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Brigade
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:59 pm

SeanTucker wrote:I honestly like Gurren Brigade a lot better than Team Gurren, too. Hell, they could have done a direct translation and called it the Red Brigade, and I wouldn't be complaining.

Yeah, I'm actually wondering where you got "Red Brigade" out of グレン団. The closest I could find it what appears to be a fanfic, but I have yet to find guren, gurren, グレン, or ぐれん mean red, in any shade, nor communism.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:01 pm

It may be a play or soft form of kurenai (紅) which means crimson. I guess guren could come from that somehow like 神 can be kami and gami or 道 can be both tou and dou, but i've never seen anything but kurenai/gurenai.
Last edited by ZapX on Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:03 pm

cat42 wrote:
Yeah, I'm actually wondering where you got "Red Brigade" out of グレン団. The closest I could find it what appears to be a fanfic, but I have yet to find guren, gurren, グレン, or ぐれん mean red, in any shade, nor communism.

My fansubbed copy had a note saying that "gurren" can be literally translated as "red" or "crimson".

EDIT:

ZapalacX wrote:People are thinking of kurenai (紅) which means crimson. I guess guren could come from that somehow like 神 can be kami and gami or 道 can be both tou and dou, but i've never seen anything but kurenai.

This sounds correct, actually.
Last edited by SeanTucker on Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Oh wait, did you mean the fruit?

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:05 pm

It's definitely not 'red'. As I said above it COULD MAYBE come from kurenai.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:07 pm

SeanTucker wrote:My fansubbed copy had a note saying that "gurren" can be literally translated as "red" or "crimson".

http://www.color-guide.com/red.htm

Guren (remember, in Japanese it's グレン which would be "guren" not グッレン which would be "gurren") is not listed. Not in Katakana, and not in hiragana. The shades could have more than one name, or they might have left out some shades...
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:12 pm

Okay, just so this doesn't become a flame war I'm going to quit talking about it. Back to your everyday TTGL discussion.
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:14 pm

There is a GazettE song called 紅蓮(ぐれん) which means 'crimson lotus'. It also uses the same kanji as gurenai so that may be it.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:26 pm

SeanTucker wrote:Okay, just so this doesn't become a flame war I'm going to quit talking about it. Back to your everyday TTGL discussion.

Sorry if it seems like we're picking on you, that at least wasn't my intention to do so, it's just you were talking about Bandai dropping the ball in regards to their translation, and then proceeded to list the things they got right that the fansubbers kept getting wrong. (Given that the fansubbers ignored other GAINAX translations, I'm surprised they didn't spell the show's name "Guren Lagan")

I agree with you though on dub Kamina, his voice is no where as good as Katsuyuki Konishi's, and I'll probably agree with you on Viral, as I have fallen in love with Nobuyuki Hiyama's voice, but I can only name 2 dubs that are close to the level, in my opinion, to the Japanese track. But dubs aren't meant to be "an exact replica" of the original Japanese, they are meant to appeal to a more mainstream audience, so they have to be judged by American standards.

Barinax
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Barinax » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:58 pm

I found this "YouTube poop" a while ago. I never liked most of them, but this is hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNy6gRYgSjc

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:00 pm

Yah, that's NAveryW's. I think he posted it in this very thread a couple of pages ago.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:03 pm

cat42 wrote:
SeanTucker wrote:Okay, just so this doesn't become a flame war I'm going to quit talking about it. Back to your everyday TTGL discussion.

Sorry if it seems like we're picking on you, that at least wasn't my intention to do so, it's just you were talking about Bandai dropping the ball in regards to their translation, and then proceeded to list the things they got right that the fansubbers kept getting wrong. (Given that the fansubbers ignored other GAINAX translations, I'm surprised they didn't spell the show's name "Guren Lagan")

My point is, the official translations by GAINAX sound a bit stupid, no offense to them. The fansubbers may have intentionally gotten the translations wrong because they thought the wrong ones sounded a lot better, too.

(Yes, I know I said I'd quit talking about it, but when I see someone miss my point entirely, I feel obliged to set them straight on what, exactly, I meant.)

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:23 pm

SeanTucker wrote:My point is, the official translations by GAINAX sound a bit stupid, no offense to them. The fansubbers may have intentionally gotten the translations wrong because they thought the wrong ones sounded a lot better, too.

No, I got that your point was that the translator's subtitling, for example ガンメン as Ganmen, instead of Gunmen was a good thing. My point is, regardless if they feel a name like "Team Gurren" is stupid, it's still the name. Gurren Lagann is supposed to be somewhat cheesy, that's part of the fun. I just still don't using the correct translation is "dropping the ball".

ADV was dropping the ball by translating "無理を通して道理を蹴っ飛ばす!" as "We stick to our crazy guns and kick logic out the door!" I think Bandai is doing a much better job.

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:14 pm

Yeah, as much as I dislike the Bandai/GAINAX translation, the ADV one was infinitely worse.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:55 pm

Week after this GL episodes 9 and 10 will air on Sci Fi. I'm assuming it'll be dubbed still though.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:03 pm

Bought Gurren Lagann Sub version vol 3 today. Comments to come.

EDIT++++
Episode 19: "We Will Survive, By Any Means Necessary"
OP and ED both both subtitled.
And wow, I think I hate Rossiu more than I did last time I watched this ep. I know he thinks he's doing what's best, but he just went about it so wrong that it kind of does seem he did it all just to get the people to believe in him, rather than because he gives a shit.

"Attenborough" is now spelled "Aretenborough". Was it like that on the previous volumes?

Episode 20: "How Far Will God Test Us?"
Episode 21: "You Are Someone Who Ought To Survive"
First off, Rossiu lied, people died, had to be said.
Secondly, these 2 episodes demonstrate fairly well why I love Viral.
And third, in the fansub I watched, Yoko said to Nia something like "While I've been gone you've become a boring person... ...Nia.", in the official subs, Yoko says "I don't see you for a while, and you go and turn into a real bitch... ...Nia." I like the official subs better, but it's an interesting difference I think.

Episode 22: "This Is My Final Duty"
Interesting, from the preview for ep 23
"Even warped and twisted roads will snap into place... ...if you kick reason to the curb and give 'em a whack!"

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:16 am

The only thing I really didn't like was their handling of 'chouginga'. They chose "Super Galaxy" which to me sounds pretty goofy. I'd have gone with hypergalactic (though admittedly that sound kinda lame too) or something. I think "supercluster of galaxies" is hard to convey. I also disliked Kittan's "kono oresama no tamashii da" speech. I thought the original was a lot better flowing. "this is simon's...dai-gurren dan...the humans'...no, this is my soul!' flowed better than "this is simon's soul! this is team gurren's soul! this is the humans' soul! this is MY soul!" but i'm really just picky like that. Aside from the copious grammatical errors from the subs (no time to proofread I guess) I was fairly pleased...but the could have used better words than BOZO with kamina and kittan.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:24 am

Episode 23: "Let's Go, This Is The Final Battle"

ZapalacX wrote:The only thing I really didn't like was their handling of 'chouginga'. They chose "Super Galaxy" which to me sounds pretty goofy.

It fits. Look at how every reacts when he says it. They're pretty much like "What the hell is with this lame ass name?" It's supposed to be goofy.

In regards to the grammatical errors and such, as we've seen, they've fixed things people were complaining about to a degree through the releases. I'm convinced that these really are rushed subs, with no real time to fix grammar and refine them. The upcoming 6 disc release will likely fix these problems.

Also
Possibly the most satisfying image in the show.

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”