Your first viewing of "End Of Evangelion??"

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Evangelion217
Lilith

Your first viewing of "End Of Evangelion??"

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion217 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:21 pm

What was it like?? Do you want to know what it was like for me?? Well then I'LL TELL YOU! :grin:

During my first viewing, I kept fast-forwarding through different scenes, because I just didn't know what to make of it. My mind was being completely f ucked. I had to go through different studio labels to get to the opening scene, then I had to see Shinji jerk off on Asuka. Then I had to see a depressed Misato, Rei breaking Gendo's glasses, and the entire Nerv headquarters getting demolished by SEELE. The violence was so disturbing, and jarring, that I simply had to tune out of it, just keep myself from going alittle bit insane. Then came Asuka's final fight. I spoiled that whole thing for myself, before I actually saw the film, and I was still rooting for her. But I knew the results, and that she would be killed. And when that happened, I became an emotional wreak, and Shinji's scream only added to that effect.

The first part of "EoE" has got to be the most disturbing, emotional, and violent thing that I have ever seen in my life. And the second part didn't get any better. Again, I get to hear that earth shattering scream from Shinji, and some more hell breaks loose. Third impact was starting, and not only was I seeing the apocalypse, I was feeling it in every bone in my body. Then the lance of loginus shows up, and Shinji's Evangelion(aka Yui Ikari) was taken hostage by those "Evas In Drag" looking things, and Shinji's Eva actually looked like Jesus..........hanging from the cross. Easily the most beautiful, and disturbing image at that point. Then Rei finally merges with the body of Lillith, and she basically becomes a Ghostbusters version of herself. She not only gets prettier, but taller at the same time. She gets so tall, that she could reach the heavens, and looks directly at Shinji. And for once, I didn't mind Shinji screaming like a bitch, because I was doing it at the same time. Shinji and I related to one another during that scene, because it was EXTREMELY f ucked up. Then the Lance of Loginus has sexual intercourse with Unit O1/Yui Ikar(I wonder how Yui must of felt :lol: ), and they form into the tree of life. I forgot what any of that meant, but it was basically about to put Shinji in instrumentality, and put the fate of the world in his hands.

To be honest, I was wondering what type of jackass would want to put the fate of the world in the hands of a mentally f ucked up kid, and THEN attempt to convince him that he shouldn't end the world(lol). After that, I lost my train of though, fast-forward through the sandbox scene, because my mind was just gone at that point. But then I decided to go back, and look at the sandbox scene. So what I interpreted was that the mountains looked like tits, the lights were the nipples, the swing resembled Yui's happyness to see her son again, and then it resembled her sadness, after witnessing him destroy the sand castle, that looked exactly like Nerv headquarters. At that point, my mind was made of stool. I could not make out anything that I was seeing, nor help the fact that I had to fast-forward through half of what I was seeing. Then I finally get to see a couple of montages of Shinji yelling, and whinning about how the three women in his life were liars, and are always out to hurt him. He then walks into a room(David Lynch moment), and tells Asuka that he wants to be next to her. Which turns into a big argument, that leads to Shinji strangling her............okay. After that, I just went with the flow. I didn't try to fast-forward, or rewind anything. I just let myself go, and see where this sh!t was going to take me. And to my surprise, it took me everywhere. It took me to a state of fear, peace, sadness, depression, happyness, joy, relief, pain, and to the stars.

There is not a single film that has taken me to that many places in just a couple of minutes. And to top it all off, those emotions came right back to me during the final scene. The infamouse "One more final: I need You." After Shinji rejects instrumentality, and gives humanity the choice to either come back, or stay where ever the *beep* they are, I thought things were going to get better. I thought there was going to be a very up-lifting ending, to end all up-lifting endings. And remember, I forgot that I spoiled the film for myself, before actually viewing it. So when the final scene came, I was blown away by it's beauty, and sheer ugliness. I saw a lot of red, blue, black, and grey looking colors. I saw Shinji, and Asuka lying next to each other, which made me wonder if they were the so-called "Adam and Eve" of this "New Beginning." Well if they are, then their story ain't going to start off nice and pretty. Shinji wakes, and sees Rei standing in the same exact spot that he saw her at during the beginning of the first episode. I think this scene made me realize that Anno planned on this the entire time. That this is the ending that he wanted to make, and give to the world. It's like everything you see in "EoE", was meant to happen. Then Shinji attempts to strangle Asuka once again. At that moment of brutality, I was wondering how nihlistic could this get. But all of a sudden, Asuka stops Shinji, by caressing his cheek with a gentle touch. Not only was I surprised by that, but I was mostly suprised by their change of character. It's Shinji who's acting in a violent way, while Asuka is trying to be the "peaceful one."

Then Shinji cries. But it's not the usual cry that we've heard from Shinji. No, this was a cry of complete, and utter pain. He came back to reality, and started to feel what reality truly is. It is pain, death, and sh!t. There is definitely a glimpse of hope at the end, and the ending goes as far to imply that things will definitely get better for both of these characters. But then Asuka says the most controversial line of them all, "How disgusting." That line has different translations, different meanings, theories, and interpretations. But one thing is for sure, it has left many viewers, including me, with a hollow place within our hearts. It's such a brutal, and depressing line, that fits with everything else that we've seen. But I didn't want to hear it. I wanted Asuka to give Shinji some more comfort, instead of saying that he's disgusting. So you could only imagine how depressed I was after that.

My jaw was droped, my eyes were full of tears, and my entire life had been changed in an instant. After that first viewing, I gave "EoE" an 8/10. And that rating has changed to a 10/10, after my second viewing. "Evangelion" has not only changed my life, but it has changed my entire view on life in general, and how I view animes in general. After seeing "Evangelion", I realized why I dislike a lot of animes. Because they all failed to aim this high, and to reach a level of artistic expression, that not only transcends it's genre, but the entire medium.
Last edited by Evangelion217 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

"Komm Susser Todd" is the most up-lifting song about depression"- Evangelion217

It's stange that "Evangelion" became such a hit. All the characters are so sick!- Hideaki Anno

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:58 pm

Can we all get a tl;dr version, please.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:11 pm

Basically, he felt completely mindfucked.... just like everybody else the first time they watched it.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:45 pm

Well, my first time watching it, it was fucked up. Maybe because I had only seen episodes 1, 2, 8, 9, and 10 before seeing it. So basically I was all, WTF is going on. I did feel like crying at one point, but didn't. I then stopped watching the show for a while, and then bought the Platinum almost a year ago and rewatched them all. Now I understand it all and now feel that this ending is better than the TV one, IMO. So there you have it.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

pat457
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby pat457 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:08 pm

In a few words: It's. very. disturbing.
"God forbid that I actually make any logical sense whatsoever!"
- Me from around three years ago. Thank God I still don't.

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:32 pm

Its even more disturbing when your idiot friend is showing it to you when you haven't seen the series first, and its a sub, and you have never even heard of it before. Its almost enough to make you go out of your way to avoid all things Japanese. But then when the repressed memories come back to the surface after seeing some references in wiki, maybe an AMV on YouTube, and you find out there was something more to it... you might go out and see the rest.

Now that I have wasted your time, may I say that it was not the most disturbing thing I have ever seen. Its just that first time that just throws you off.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

pat457
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby pat457 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:40 pm

Formless One wrote:Its even more disturbing when your idiot friend is showing it to you when you haven't seen the series first, and its a sub, and you have never even heard of it before. Its almost enough to make you go out of your way to avoid all things Japanese. But then when the repressed memories come back to the surface after seeing some references in wiki, maybe an AMV on YouTube, and you find out there was something more to it... you might go out and see the rest.

Now that I have wasted your time, may I say that it was not the most disturbing thing I have ever seen. Its just that first time that just throws you off.

That "first time" of mine was actually only a few weeks ago. Yep, it's quite off-putting then, especially seeing Shinji's face contort in every possible way imaginable and hearing him scream in almost every other scene.
"God forbid that I actually make any logical sense whatsoever!"
- Me from around three years ago. Thank God I still don't.

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:52 pm

That story, though exaggurated, was true. My idiot friend actually thought he could introduce me to the series by showing me Death and EoE before I had even heard of Evangelion. And it wasn't even a very good sub, I think it was fan-made. That was three(?) years ago, and I had absolutely no interest in Eva until I saw the AMV Gendo's Paradise on YouTube.

True story.
[/opinion]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:37 pm

EoTV: Okay I think I get it but wtf did I just watch?

EoE: Okay I think I get it but wtf did I just watch?

Either way, I highly enjoyed both ending(s) despite my utter confusion which made me join this complete nerds. ;)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Lincolnshire Poacher
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The Lincolnshire Poacher » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:47 pm

The first half dug underneath my skin most of all for its treatment of its characters (My experience left me with more of observations than material to critique and analyze. I simply said to myself 'No other director would possibly consider putting his characters into scenarios like this...'). In fact it made me have to let out a heavy sigh several times because it was so off-putting what I was viewing through. It's really hard to fully explain through all the feelings without making a summery as complete as the OP.

But the assured feeling of impending doom on the characters, that was a stress to see. The last half was as disturbing although not in the same way as the first. This was very psychologically eerie because of its lucid fashion of proposing scenes without leaving any room for explanation ("Sandbox Scene"/"Coffeepot Scene")

"One More Final: I Need You" hit the hardest. It displays the final aftermath of the scene, a denouement. The world obviously isn't left in as 'good' condition as it was at the very beginning, but the all things considering what's transpired in the last 86 minutes, it should have ended so much worse.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:35 pm

My first viewing consisted of "holy shit!" moments interwoven with "wow!" moments, ending with a deep need to watch that again and find out what the hell just happened.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby zimlord » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:11 pm

Basically, after I watched it for the first time I was like "sweet, now I can make my friends watch this and impress them with my fine taste in mindfuckery." And so I started lending it out to people or having them download it. And thusly I became the local animu sage, whom many would ask for good anime and such.

But other than that, I thought it was awesome. I've always been a fan of "unconventional" entertainment and this was sort of the first unconventional anime I had seen. For me, EoE was the perfect icing on the cake.

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:18 pm

It was the first fansub, nay, the first subtitled anime, that I watched. This was a fansub from KazAa (or however that names goes out), before Manga released the movies in R1.

It was bizarre and strange and disturbing, and I loved it, though it took far too long to "roughly" comprehend the movie, even if I had seen the series before.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

Evangelion217
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion217 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:11 pm

But other than that, I thought it was awesome. I've always been a fan of "unconventional" entertainment and this was sort of the first unconventional anime I had seen. For me, EoE was the perfect icing on the cake

Same here. And like you, I'am a pretty big fan of "Twin Peaks." :)
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

"Komm Susser Todd" is the most up-lifting song about depression"- Evangelion217

It's stange that "Evangelion" became such a hit. All the characters are so sick!- Hideaki Anno

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:53 pm

I felt rather bittersweet, the mindfuckery being the bitter and what however little made sense being the sweet

as odd as this may sound (and as much flak as I'll take after posting this), I almost feel at times that most of EoE was in retrospect unnecessary, due to its high degree of ambiguity and the fact it didn't explain much "after the end"

but of course, that's why we all love Eva so fcuking hard, don't we?

I am glad I saw the TV series first though or else I would have written off Eva completely as some bizarre, drug-induced, pr0nagraphic, imported "thing" from Jap'n
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:00 am

^ That was exactly how I felt. That just goes to show how damn good Gendo's Paradise was.
[/opinion]

swamp147
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby swamp147 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:00 am

Wow I'm glad I bothered watching all 26 episodes and Death (well, Death not really, but it was good to 'review') before watching EoE.

EoTV: I thought 'wtf?' That's it? Why are they even congratulating him? Is that all in his head? This makes no sense!!!

EoE:

Seeing the first half was pretty brutal. A lot of disturbing imagery and violence. JSSDF forces slaughtering everyone without mercy. Shinji doing absolutely nothing. Misato, Ritsuko, and Asuka killed. I was baffled. To be honest, after finishing 25', I thought Shinji seeing dead Nigouki and dead Asuka will make him super powerful, kill all the harpies, and somehow stop Seele to make for a happy ending.

What I got was something so much better. Although I only came to this conclusion after watching it more times, thinking about it endlessly, making some sense out of it on the Evapedia and the forums, and thinking about it even more.

The second half was trippy. I didn't understand most of what was going on, I just sat there looking at the cool images (like Rei's multiple faces bursting out of the harpies' faces and Instrumentality) and listening to conversations that I didn't really understand.

The first time I heard Komm, süßer Tod, I hated it. I thought "wait what? This music doesn't fit what's going on? It's cheery music. The music here is supposed to be epic and sad." It remained this way until I downloaded the song and listened to it. And again and again. Because I really loved it. It was a great song; the lyrics, the singing. So now I can enjoy the part in EoE where this song plays!

The ending left me feeling....empty. I didn't feel much concluding going on. I hadn't seen many movies that leave the ending up to your interpretation. Like what I said above, though, (3 paragraphs above this one) I really came to love it a lot. In my perspective, it gives a new hope. People can come back if they want to. Asuka is showing change for the better. Shinji's insanity just might have been cured by that caress. Hooray!

Well, those are my thoughts on my initial viewing of EoE. And I'm really glad I watched it too. I plan on writing about the final scene in a college essay.

zarwin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby zarwin » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:05 am

NemZ wrote:My first viewing consisted of "holy shit!" moments interwoven with "wow!" moments, ending with a deep need to watch that again and find out what the hell just happened.

this was exactly what happened to me. I watched it four times in a row. I'm still not clear on some parts.
Under construction

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:47 am

Start= Guns, explosions, main characters getting killed; YES!

Middle= Okay...the robot turns into a tree...I'll go with it.

Near end = Sandbox scene...when is this going to end?

Very near end = This isn't even animated anymore...when is this going to end?

Very very near end = I thought the last bit was very nearly the end, when is this going to end!?

End = What a waste of time and invested interest, I'm never watching this shit ever again >:[

I have since gone on to re-watch numerous times :]
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:03 am

One of my friends described it as like "watching a fish trying to fuck a frog." Can't say I disagree with him.

I remember being entertained by the first half, then feeling compelled to say "This is so weird!" every five minutes of the second half (and obeying that compulsion).
Gamer_2k4

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”