[Film] First 'Speed Racer', then 'Dragonball', now it's...

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

[Film] First 'Speed Racer', then 'Dragonball', now it's...

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:09 am

COWBOY BEBOP's time.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-07-22/live-action-cowboy-bebop-film-in-development-at-fox

Personal Opinion Time (YAY)

Surprised to see studios are still picking up anime titles for live action remakes. I would've figured since the flop of 'SPEED RACER' they'd steer clear of anime like the plague. My guess though is that the studios are paying close attention to the awareness surrounding the new DRAGONBALL movie (which looks like a classic on the same level as 'The Super Mario Brothers Movie'). The show has a lot of fans and is closely being followed so the studios want to play it safe and pick up the 'quintessential' anime titles just in case DB makes money. They don't want to get screwed over and have to pay three times as much money for a property rights after DB makes bank.
Which only means that if DB makes cash, when you combine that with the TRANSFORMERS sequel (which is essentially an anime adaptation) these anime films should probably become the norm soon. The new "Asian Horror Film Remake" trend.

As for COWBOY BEBOP...eh, never really a fan. It sturck me as cool for cool's sake. I remember the show was very episodic (intentionally so) so I think it could work great treated as an episode (kind've like the animated movie). But knowing Hollywood studios it will be an "Origin" Story so they can set up a franchise.

"Origin" stories suck in general.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:17 am

At least with Cowboy Bebop, we wouldn't have to worry about Americanizing the setting or names.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Rhyno
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Rhyno » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:57 am

I'm kind of excited about this. Besides Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop is one of my favorite animes. I realize that they could really screw up the story, but this quote from the article is promising:
Stoff promised "a real degree of faithfulness," and added, “When I met with them in Japan, one of the first things that I brought up was the experience that we had on A Scanner Darkly, and how hard we worked to remain faithful to Philip K. Dick, and that was our big concern here.”

With the sci-fi/western motif Cowboy Bebop has going, it has that Firefly/Serenity feel to it. I realize that Cowboy Bebop predates Firefly, but I was exposed to Firefly first. All they would need is a good cast to represent the characters.

I can't remember where I read it, but there was a discussion a while back about what live action actors you would cast for Cowboy Bebop. Here are/were my picks for the big four:
Spike Spiegal: Nathan Fillion - What can I say? I'm a fan of his. He played an excellent Malcolm Reynolds. I think he could pull off Spike. I could also see Christian Bale.
Jet Black: Bruce Willis - Hellboy has also got me thinking about Ron Pearlman. I think someone also mentioned Jason Statham. I think you get the idea of what type of actor I'm after.
Faye Valentine: Famke Janssen - This is a tough one for me. I think she could pull it off, but I'm not sure. I just watched Pirates, so I also think perhaps Keira Knightly. I'm not as sold on these picks as I am on the others.
Ed: Dakota Fanning - How old is she anyway? I could see her being eccentric like in I Am Sam (my wife made me watch it).

I don't know if this was the point of the thread, but I figured I'd just throw it out there.

reagen
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby reagen » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:25 am

Wow.....Hollywood are really getting into these things, eh?!

I'll wait until I get some pictures!! Wouldn't get my hopes up, Dragon Ball and Speed Racer has destroyed all my hope for Hollywood adaptation!!
She Smell Like Angels Ought To Smell
The Perfect Woman, The Goddess...
Worth Killing For, Worth Dying For, Worth Going To Hell For....
------------------------------------------------------
I Can Only Love One Woman,
No Matter The Day, No Matter The Era
That Will Not Change...

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:50 am

Oh noes

Rhyno
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Rhyno » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:15 am

I'll wait until I get some pictures!! Wouldn't get my hopes up, Dragon Ball and Speed Racer has destroyed all my hope for Hollywood adaptation!!
I was impressed with Transformers. I'm really looking forward to the second movie.

As long they have a producer who is planning on remaining faithful to the anime, I think it has a good shot at being decent.

I haven't seen Speed Racer. I've heard horrible things, so I've avoided it up to this point. I'll probably end up catching it eventually. I'm too big of a John Goodman fan not to.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:27 am

NAveryW wrote:At least with Cowboy Bebop, we wouldn't have to worry about Americanizing the setting or names.

This is true, but they need to do justice to the anime, don't they? (I know most of them don't)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:27 am

BUT WHO WILL PLAY EIN?!!!!!!
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:27 am

I'm going to be very unhappy if Spike doesn't have his Jericho.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:47 am

actually pretty do-able
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:52 am

BrikHaus wrote:BUT WHO WILL PLAY EIN?!!!!!!

LLLLLLAAAAAASSSSSSSIIIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:17 am

Rhyno wrote:I was impressed with Transformers.
Transformers isn't an anime.

Rhyno wrote:I haven't seen Speed Racer. I've heard horrible things, so I've avoided it up to this point.
The Speed Racer anime was relly never exactly ultra-high quality to start with...

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:22 pm

IMHO, I say Hollywood needs to stop trying to make anime into live action. Other types of cartoon might and have worked before, but anime will never work. Anime is in league of its own, and are practically movies themselves, and would have a hard time translating over to live action. (Might I also mention anime-physics)
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:24 pm

As long as they don't give it to a complete idiot, I think it would probably turn out pretty well.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:38 pm

NAveryW wrote:
Rhyno wrote:I was impressed with Transformers.
Transformers isn't an anime.<snip>
technically, no, but there was an anime for it, so... :shrug:

anyway, this doesn't come as a surprise to me, considering Dragon Ball and Robotech are purportedly being made

I'm anxious in regards to casting and who's directing, they will be KEY to whether this thing will kick arse like The Dark Knight or if it will suck arse like Speed Racer (and IMO Transformers, don't hold it against me) if the wrong people are involved

we'll have to start playing THAT game of pick-the-cast-&-director now
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:44 pm

Action_Bastard wrote:IMHO, I say Hollywood needs to stop trying to make anime into live action. Other types of cartoon might and have worked before, but anime will never work. Anime is in league of its own, and are practically movies themselves, and would have a hard time translating over to live action. (Might I also mention anime-physics)
Anything can be adapted well if done by the right people who know what they're doing and care about what they're making.

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:19 pm

True, true, just look at the new Batman films, (yes I know it is not anime, but there was one that came out last week) Tim Burton made them worse and worse, but under new management, it became works of art. But still, I am just saying, some anime just can't be done.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:23 pm

Of course... there's always Cowboy Bebop at his computer to worry about. Take a quick look at tvtropes.org to find out what I mean by that.

CB always struck me as very suitable for America though..... Something that would fir the US style of film noir/gangster movie...

But that's just me...
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby zimlord » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:47 pm

BrikHaus wrote:BUT WHO WILL PLAY EIN?!!!!!!

Martin Sheen.

Rhyno
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Rhyno » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:06 pm

I think this is very doable. I would think that if the producers do indeed plan to remain faithful to the anime, Cowboy Bebop would translate very nicely to a live action film. I agree with Gendo'sPapa that an origin story should be avoided. I would prefer to see the characters introduced on the fly like the Cowboy Bebop animated movie... or even like Serenity. With Cowboy Bebop being episodic in nature anyway, the live action movie could be a one-shot story also like the animated movie.

I already gave my ideas for the actors, but I forgot to mention possible directors:
Ridley Scott - I think I heard the Blade Runner was an inspiration for Cowboy Bebop
Joss Whedon - I really am a fan boy of his
Quentin Tarantino - His direction of fight scenes in Kill Bill has me thinking...
Christopher Nolan - He sticks out because of his most recent success
David Fincher - Ehhh... maybe

Return to “Film and Video”