Random Hypothetical: Gender Bender?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Random Hypothetical: Gender Bender?

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:53 am

Just throwing this out there... would NGE still 'work' if all the charecters were of opposing genders, or would things be screwed up in entirely new ways by this role-reversal? How much would the story be different due to social views of gender issues?

Just a couple examples of issues this might raise to get conversation started:

If evas are male and powered by fathers' souls, does the umbilical/womb imagery need to be scraped entirely?

Is it really the same situation when timid female Shinji moves in with hard-drinking male Misato who jokingly promises nothing will happen?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:15 pm

If the pilots father was in the eva, you'd just have just about every other giant robot show in existence. Its the pilots reaction to the evas soul, it is a cliche' that the hero is trying to live up to their fathers legacy. That is not exactly what would happen in this case, but the effect would be similar; I'm thinking of the scenes in the Lion King where Simba talks to his father from beyond the grave.

You would get the good old "words of wisdom" type scene instead of, say, Asuka's epiphany when she discovers her mother inside Unit 02. Very different, ne? Psychological elements of the show like that would be ruined, because little kids are always more attached to their mothers, at least until a certain age.

The show already has Misato and her father to play this relationship, anyway.

And besides, I really can't imagine Yui taking Gendo's place as commander of NERV. She just isn't enough of a bitch; she has too much heart to ruin her own sons life for the good of humanity.

This could make for an interesting fanfic, if handled right, but the show itself needed the mother/child dynamic to work.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:40 pm

Legendary copypasta wrote:Image

The secret of Evangelion is that they took super robot pilots and reversed their genders
if Rei was male, he'd be the awesomely silent/cool/calm guy.
When he rushes that angel with an N2 mine under his arm sacrificing his life ... that is the scene where MANLY TEARS flow for A MAN'S WAY OF LIFE AND DEATH.
Asuka, if a man, would be an awesomely HOT BLOODED pilot. And pervy with his advances on Shinji, but a little tsundere.
And Shinji, as a weak little girl, as a girl, puts it into context. You'd be fapping furiously to Shinjiko every night because of her shy demeanour
And with girl Kaworu, Shinji x Kaworu would be amazingly hot.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:43 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Image

FAIL. After seeing that, I'm pretty sure the characters should just stay the genders they already are.

...though Rei would be pretty awesome as a guy. Kaworu MIGHT be cool as a guy, too, I guess. =P
Last edited by Gamer_2k4 on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gamer_2k4

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:44 pm

WIN.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:46 pm

Submit that pic to the caption contest. NOW. :toothy:
[/opinion]

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:46 pm

:lightbulb:

oh, my, GOD!!

IT ALL MAKES SENSE TO ME NOW!

srsly, that could make for one hell of a fanfic

(and good LORD would I be all over "Shinjiko")
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Random Hypothetical: Gender Bender?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:15 pm

Gamer_2k4 wrote:FAIL. After seeing that, I'm pretty sure the characters should just stay the genders they already are.
That's but one oekaki take on the subject. You could also try this:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9ZOf-3q2x4

Formless One wrote:Submit that pic to the caption contest. NOW. :toothy:
Done

NemZ wrote:Is it really the same situation when timid female Shinji moves in with hard-drinking male Misato who jokingly promises nothing will happen?
NSFW links

http://sexylosers.com/242.html vs
http://sexylosers.com/063.html and http://sexylosers.com/111.html
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:30 pm

Is it me, or does Asuka look like a blond (red w/e) Kaji in that pic?

Anyway, I am definitely going to have to go to the caption thread to laugh my ass off!

Also...

Is the second one from the foreground supposed to be Kaworu, because if it is he is still a dude....wait....nevermind I get it now.
Many apologies for the double post, but I found this....

Forget about actual Kensuke and Toji.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby zimlord » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:36 pm

Damn, Fem-Toji is fine.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:10 pm

Formless One wrote:And besides, I really can't imagine Yui taking Gendo's place as commander of NERV. She just isn't enough of a bitch; she has too much heart to ruin her own sons life for the good of humanity.

Yui could have just been rewritten to fill Gendo's part in the series though...
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:35 pm

Action_Bastard wrote:but I found this....

It's not like we'd lost it :D That's linked from Reichu's site.

There is a whole school of gender bending fan art out there (and not just for Eva, by a long chalk), anyway. And Shinji being a lightly retouched Nadia makes Shinjiko a popular subject.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:47 pm

I've got to say, I'm already more fond of this version of Kensuke. Has sort of a 'Inquisitive Yearbook Girl' look going there that works much better than the 'ultrageek' he usually sports.

Fem-Toji looks like she's a refugee from Battle Athletes.

Mr. Tines wrote:The secret of Evangelion is that they took super robot pilots and reversed their genders

Yes, I know that from a charecter perspective, but my point is to wonder how much of the plotline would be changed due to expected social values being imposed on the charecters?

Would fem-Shinji be seen as even more victimized being jealously hounded by butch-Asuka? Would the Asuka/Kaji dynamic be more acceptable than the Shinji/Misato one? Does the religious adam/eve/lilith thing work at all?

The youtube link you offered... fem-Gendo is the stuff of nightmares.

Actually, I'm familiar with Sexy Losers. Is that strip ever going to be updated or what? I was rather fond of the bukake star and the radio show bits.

Action Bastard wrote:Is it me, or does Asuka look like a blond (red w/e) Kaji in that pic?

Looks more like a blonde, male Misato to me.

Awesome nick, btw!
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:58 pm

Well if Shinji was female, she would have looked for love from other people, doing dirty deeds to satisfy herself, if you know what I mean... Probably with male Asuka, since he would be in the vicinity. They probably would not live with male Misato, with the drinking and all, so maybe a dorm type complex would be implemented on the Nerv grounds or owned property.

Also....

I have always wondered what I would be like as a chick, I would probably be insanely gorgeous but with morals and smarts at the same time. Image
MyAnimeList

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:09 pm

Action_Bastard wrote:Well if Shinji was female, she would have looked for love from other people, doing dirty deeds to satisfy herself, if you know what I mean... Probably with male Asuka, since he would be in the vicinity.

You have really high opinion on women do you?

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:21 pm

No no no no no, I am not sexist in any way, shape, or form, that is just how it would be...in the show. I am open to other interpretations of what would go on.
MyAnimeList

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:23 pm

Action_Bastard wrote:Well if Shinji was female, she would have looked for love from other people, doing dirty deeds to satisfy herself, if you know what I mean...

I expect quite the opposite... demure little Shinji-chan trying very hard to be a good girl to impress mama Gendo in spite of Asuka and Misato's blatant advances. There's almost no chance she makes it to the movie without getting raped (or Reiped?) by one of them.

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:29 pm

Well then if the genders were switched, then other aspects of the "joy" of adolescence would thus be toughed upon, and rape seems like a good candidate. Don't know who would commit the act, but one of males will have to come to Fem-Shinji rescue following the incident and kick whoever did the raping 's ass. Then that person would be Fem-Shinji's true love interest.
MyAnimeList

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:33 pm

Huh?! whats all this about rape?! O_o Man, this thread went weird in a hurry.
[/opinion]

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:45 pm

ok ok, changing.........I believe that they all would have gone on that school trip and they all would have fun and such, but would have to cut it short and make a hasty return to fight the angel. There, no more raping, now it can be as happy as leekspin!!!Image Those crazy Finnish!
MyAnimeList

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”