What are the "Adams"?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:12 pm

Phantom_Blitz wrote:Has anyone notices that each one of the "ADAMS" have a different looking core?

Mentioned in the other thread here: http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=148858#148858

Why is the FAR planting life throughout the universe? Are they bored? Feeling lonely? Gonna harvest our souls to further their own life?

Why do people feel the need to have children? Maybe they fancy themselves as Gods, and therefore feel the need to populate the galaxy with life. Maybe they've long died out while the Moons were traveling the galaxy toward their destinations. It's a common Sci-Fi trope.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:25 pm

The FAR made Mankind and Angels for the same reason the First Born (creators of the Monoliths) planted Monoliths on planets to encourage non-sentient apes to gain sentience: through all the universe they found nothing more precious than Mind, than Life, and they wanted to encourage its spread wherever they could.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:44 pm

Back to the topic of halos, Sachiel formed a halo in the movie right before it did that ATF hover-jump while surrounded by VTOLs. The halos might indicate that the "ADAMs" are hovering, but that is just crazy speculation.

IMO, I think the image of the ADAMs may be a dream sequence experienced by one of the characters in 2.0.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

giuliano
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby giuliano » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:42 am

just a thought... do you think there could be a link between those coffins on the moon and the adams? (at work so can't check some screenshots as to the number of them)
and also in that case have some connection to the moon giant...
It's GENDO~

Bluespade
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Bluespade » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:02 pm

When I watched Rebuild, I dont recall anyone ever mentioning "Adams" as in plural. Were they actually referred to that way? (maybe fansubs got it wrong?)

Also, where did those screenshots come from..... They look totally unfamiliar to me.

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:05 pm

ADAMs, the way I used it, makes it more understandable. Yes, it would just be ADAM for plural as well a singular.

As for the screenshots, the bottom one comes from the preview of 2.0 at the very end of the credits of 1.0. The top one is in DC Ep. 24 I think...
MyAnimeList

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:33 pm

Bluespade wrote:When I watched Rebuild, I dont recall anyone ever mentioning "Adams" as in plural. Were they actually referred to that way? (maybe fansubs got it wrong?)

ADAMS is what is written (by khara) in the preview at the end of 1.0.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v3320420fySsqD5H

Action_Bastard wrote:Yes, it would just be ADAM for plural as well a singular.

Why do you think that?
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:16 pm

Well after reviewing the preview in the link you put, I am proven wrong. I was assuming that since the offspring of Lilith are Lilim/Lilin, then the offspring of Adam would just be Adam. Adammites, Adamin, Adamers, etc. just doesn't fit right. You get my drift???
MyAnimeList

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:35 pm

Action_Bastard wrote:Well after reviewing the preview in the link you put, I am proven wrong. I was assuming that since the offspring of Lilith are Lilim/Lilin, then the offspring of Adam would just be Adam. Adammites, Adamin, Adamers, etc. just doesn't fit right. You get my drift???

No, because they are called Angels.

Of, Lilith is an Angel too, and quite possibly, Humanity, lol.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:48 pm

Wow, I was totally absent-minded. "Duh" on my behalf. I guess that is what one does when one assumes, make an ass out of you and me.

On a second note, maybe that Adams are not the FAR, but other Adams. What I mean by this is in reference to the giant on the moon at the end of 1.0. Maybe....it is another Adam.
MyAnimeList

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:01 pm

Sorry if it feels like I'm picking on you, that's not my intention to do so.

Anyway, wouldn't it be interesting if the FAR had more than one Adam model SOL lying around?

Or maybe any SOL besides Lilith is now an Adam?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:13 am

I still like the idea that Adams=other Angels similar to how Lilin is just another word for humanity.

No idea on whether or not Anno will use that, but it's just a thought.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:32 am

Adam's Children are pretty much fanon-called Apostles.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:46 am

Apostles is just an English translation of the word Shito though. (Gainax wanted Shito to be rendered as Angels in English even though it doesn't exactly mean this.)

Bluespade
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Bluespade » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:33 pm

Thanks for the clarification Cat42. They were never called ADAMS in the original though were they?

Looks like they may be going deeper into the angels origins in this one. I certainly hope so.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:48 pm

Pluralizing a Hebrew word by adding an "-s" is so utterly lame. I mean seriously. I know barely anything about Hebrew, but I DO know that's simply against the rules. ("Adamin" would have at least used an actual pluralizer, though it might not be grammatically correct.) Plus if they're trying to make a counterpart to "Lilin" (which they could well be, considering "LILIN(+?)" shows up in the preview right after...), a word that doesn't also mean "more than one Adam" would be a bit preferable.

"Adams" is lame in that "lol let's replace 'Children' with 'Boy' and 'Girl' instead of 'Child'" way.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:06 am

Reichu wrote:"Adams" is lame in that "lol let's replace 'Children' with 'Boy' and 'Girl' instead of 'Child'" way.

Agreed. Any thoughts on why Anno decide to change that? Maybe just to make it different from the series?

a word that doesn't also mean "more than one Adam" would be a bit preferable.

Maybe Shiro's right with that theory of his after all (Moon Giant(?), Adam, embryo-form Adam and Kaworu all having to do with Adam).

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:59 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Agreed. Any thoughts on why Anno decide to change that? Maybe just to make it different from the series?

He did it because he thought that having a non-uniform designation for Eva pilots was somehow a good idea.

Maybe Shiro's right with that theory of his after all (Moon Giant(?), Adam, embryo-form Adam and Kaworu all having to do with Adam).

Just FYI, the script describes the white silhouettes as "giants of light" (hikari no kyojin). Same term used to describe Adam at 2I, natch. Their resemblance to Adam is pretty superficial, though -- these "giants" look rather more like ethereal blobs than things with actual physicality, so I gotta wonder...

You forwarded some stuff in the 2.0 thread about the "Adams" here representing the souls of Adam's dead children (those posts ought to be split out and merged here), and pending further information I actually think that's the most likely possibility.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

eva unit05
Embryo

Eva Unit 06 vs unit 05

•      
  •      

Postby eva unit05 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:29 pm

who will win anyway?
[Eva unit 05]

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:59 pm

What do you mean "who will win?" Between Adam's Children and Lilith's? Obviously, it's not going to be as simple as one or another. Eva simply doesn't work that way.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”