Pill Popping Ayanami

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:30 am

TOPIC.

Not being able to identify the drugs she's using isn't an excuse to post junk.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

p06
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby p06 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:52 am

When i watched it the first time i had the impression that she was taking those drugs because of the injuries she received during the activation test... things like antibiotics to prevent infection, painkillers and such.
-=p06 51 3w=-
:+5134+063

bioweapon680
Adam

Re: Pill Popping Ayanami

•      
  •      

Postby bioweapon680 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:34 pm

Zuggy wrote:Was hoping our resident doctor might recognise what medication Rei is on.

Thought there was a nice high-res image of Rei's table (so you could read the Japanese written on the packaging) on one of the collectors discs but couldn't find anything.

I don't recall her ever taking pills onscreen... right?
But she probably takes them regularly offscreen or doesn't take them at all.

A person can't lie long on pills... sort of like AIDS and HIV victims
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0aQB4rNV_w Read the vid description b4 watching

evilhead008
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby evilhead008 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:17 pm

Did any of you even bother to try to identify any of the stuff in the screenshots before giving up?

EDIT: Stupid resize. Fixing. IF MY CPU WILL WORK

[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=131&i=pill1jw8.jpg]Image[/URL]

[s]Sharpened everything up a little on Photoshop, hope it helps our Kanji readers.[/s] Posted before, but all I understood in Mandarin was Nei, on the brown bottle that means inside.

From the looks I see:

K-13, Potassium?
T/I ALLA ?
MG ? Magnesium?
K Potassium
B-7 Vitamin
HEA ?
CHEA ?

Question about the screenshots:

Is the first one in Rei's room, and the second one in the lab where Rei was "born?" I always assumed that the scene was used for "container of a soul" symbolism rather than the pills she was on. Could Anno really have gotten that detailed?

The second shot, presumably in the abandoned lab, has a lot more empty bottles... maybe that was to keep her cloned body alive during infancy? If that's so, most of them can be ignored, probably being supplements and crap to keep blood pressure and crap normal.

Prozac, Vicodin, Ritalin, Vitamin Supplements, lithium, sodium valproate, Chlorpromazine, Quetiapine, Olanzapine, carbamazepine, lamotrigine, benserazide, zidovudine, lamivudine, efavirenz, tenofovir, emtricitabine,
lopinavir, ritonavir, methotrexate, cyclophosphamide.

I can't tell if you're being serious on that. But why would she be taking Lithium?

p06
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby p06 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:45 am

Is the first one in Rei's room, and the second one in the lab where Rei was "born?" I always assumed that the scene was used for "container of a soul" symbolism rather than the pills she was on. Could Anno really have gotten that detailed?

If this is true, then perhaps what i initially thought might be correct. Because the packet on the first screenie looks like general prescriptions from a hospital/clinic, and hence it seems more likely that she is taking them because of her recently received injuries. The packet has her name written on it, and certain options circled with a pen-- this means the packaging, if not the medicine inside too, at least is mass produced.

I mean, you would imagine top secret formulas that enable clones to stay in one piece to be packaged somewhat differently.
-=p06 51 3w=-

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:17 am

Anyone check out the screenshot of the meds in Rei's apartment from episode 23? She hasn't taken any of those things in quite some time...

A genga of the version from the Third Annex is published in Groundwork 3, and it's a big easier to see everything. I'll try to scan it in later.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:47 am

evilhead008 wrote:Is the first one in Rei's room, and the second one in the lab where Rei was "born?"

Yes.

evilhead008 wrote:Sharpened everything up a little on Photoshop, hope it helps our Kanji readers.

There is no kanji to read on the screenshot you editted... unless I'm blind.

Reichu wrote:A genga of the version from the Third Annex is published in Groundwork 3, and it's a big easier to see everything. I'll try to scan it in later.

:rei_hissyfit:

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:07 am

evilhead008 wrote:
soljerameelguy wrote:Prozac, Vicodin, Ritalin, Vitamin Supplements, lithium, sodium valproate, Chlorpromazine, Quetiapine, Olanzapine, carbamazepine, lamotrigine, benserazide, zidovudine, lamivudine, efavirenz, tenofovir, emtricitabine,
lopinavir, ritonavir, methotrexate, cyclophosphamide.
I can't tell if you're being serious on that. <snip>
trust me, he wasn't
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:53 pm

I think you're right about some stuff. The element symbols were the first things I picked up.

Oh, and a quick wikipedia search for some labels:
CHEA - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_kinase
HEA - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hektoen_enteric_agar
CALLA - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calla http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neprilysin

I'm no doctor, but does this mean that Rei has Alzheimer's and a Salmonella infection and is missing key enzymes?

They could have put random letters on the bottles, or some of it could be inside jokes. They could have meant CALLA the poisonous plant, for instance, not the Alzheimer's treatment.

Edit: The thin bottle with the blue writing standing upright looks like it says "HATE - E ANTIGEN". Lol.

p06
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby p06 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:29 am

Is there any support for the claim that Rei needs to take the medicine regularly to keep herself alive? Or is it as i posted earlier just random ordinary prescriptions for her injuries?
-=p06 51 3w=-

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:22 am

It's strongly implied, but to my knowledge it's never stated directly.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:36 pm

p06 wrote:Is there any support for the claim that Rei needs to take the medicine regularly to keep herself alive? Or is it as i posted earlier just random ordinary prescriptions for her injuries?

It's all but outright stated in the manga version.

bioweapon680
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby bioweapon680 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:06 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:
p06 wrote:Is there any support for the claim that Rei needs to take the medicine regularly to keep herself alive? Or is it as i posted earlier just random ordinary prescriptions for her injuries?

It's all but outright stated in the manga version.

I know I'm being obvious, but some people didn't read the manga, much like me, who only watched the anime.

When you watch the anime, you don't get as much out and sometimes you have to watch stuff over to get it. The captions go by really fast sometimes and you're trying to read the captions while watching the action... quite annoying. Sometimes I've had to pause the anime.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the anime states Rei kinda lives off the pills for those that didn't read the manga and are new to Evangelion.

cheers!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0aQB4rNV_w Read the vid description b4 watching

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:14 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:It's all but outright stated in the manga version.

Manga != anime and "I'm the one who keeps you alive" != "I'm the one who supplies the pills which keep you alive".

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:40 pm

BobBQ wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:It's all but outright stated in the manga version.

Manga != anime and "I'm the one who keeps you alive" != "I'm the one who supplies the pills which keep you alive".

I'm well aware, you know, no need to be condescending about it. My point was that in the manga, Ritsuko threatened to withhold medication from Rei, who was alarmed enough to heavily imply this was VITAL medication. So it's almost all but confirmed to be true for the manga version, and since we see that Rei has pills of some sort in the anime version, it's not a TOTAL SHOT IN THE DARK to conjecture that it might be true in both universes.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:07 pm

Yeah, I ALWAYS wondered what was point of pills in TV show.

Then in EoE Rei's AT Field suddenly isn't able to hold herself together anymore. WTF?

No reason ever given.

But those two added together with manga's revelation (if you want to call it that) = PERFECT SENSE

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:35 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:My point was that in the manga, Ritsuko threatened to withhold medication from Rei, who was alarmed enough to heavily imply this was VITAL medication.

Which stage was this?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Teufel Hunden
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Teufel Hunden » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:12 pm

The majority of these lables dont seem to mean anything, probably just somthing to make them look more authentic. When you take into consideration the fact that in the manga Akagi stated that she's the one that keeps Rei's body alive, and the massive amount of pills, it would seem to me anyway, that we're supposed to put two and two together and come to this conclusion. Just my view on things however.
j00r l1v35 4r3 n0w 0v3r

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:22 pm

Reichu wrote:Which stage was this?

It's in stage 56. She gives Rei a shot, not pills.

This scene makes very little sense, in any case. Honestly Sadamoto, WTF?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Teufel Hunden
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Teufel Hunden » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:29 pm

I'm sure the pills and shots are far from the only things neccesary to keep Rei from comming apart at the seams quite literally. Either way, I'm sure most of the labels are intended for asthetic value, leaving the viewer to come to their own conclusion.
j00r l1v35 4r3 n0w 0v3r

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”