What were your Thoughts before watching EVA?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

pata_333
Embryo

What were your Thoughts before watching EVA?

•      
  •      

Postby pata_333 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:35 pm

First of all, i tried using the the search function but i didn't found any thread about this so,

The first time I saw Eva was when i was 8 years old, there was a TV channel
here called LOCOMOTION who used to emit South Park, during the commercials of South Park, a really nasty trailer of EVA was shown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBHZ_fN3ljo&feature=related

Which kinda actually gave me the creeps since I though it was a really scary series (Lilith looked really creepy on that trailer, besides the music didn't helped much)

I remember that I Though that Asuka, Rei, And Shinji were much older, and that there relationship was more friendly.

Also I Used to Thought the series was much more violent, I really thought that each chapter was gonna have like at least 5 minutes of pure blood and violence.

Definitely Evangelion wasn't a series Children, and that trailer showed all that!

AIN'T FUCKING WITH EVANGELION!!
Nothing really matters,
Anyone can see,
Nothing really matters-,nothing really matters to me,

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:45 pm

That was a really nice trailer, though it may have shown a bit more than a newcomer to the series should see.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:50 pm

yeah. i was curious...nothing really else to say...
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

pata_333
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pata_333 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:50 pm

NAveryW wrote:That was a really nice trailer, though it may have shown a bit more than a newcomer to the series should see.

Yeah it's true, I think they made it that way to attract mature people and scare the little ones (like me >_<)

P.S: the guy who speaks at the end of the trailer is the latin spanish voice for Chef from South Park :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nothing really matters,
Anyone can see,
Nothing really matters-,nothing really matters to me,

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:23 pm

NAveryW wrote:That was a really nice trailer, though it may have shown a bit more than a newcomer to the series should see.

Are you kidding? That trailer was WEAK! They could have done better just showing the intro music and clips, IMO.

And I didn't really have any thoughts about NGE before watching it. One of my friends had the mkv files on his computer, so I thought, "I'll give it a whirl," within really having any expectations in advance. Though I'll admit I thought there would be more mechas and less whining.
Gamer_2k4

Barinax
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Barinax » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:59 pm

Well, I don't remember how young I was. I can barely remember what I thought.

I can only remember...

- Angels... I probably imagined Ayanami with wings
- something about DNA
- humans being "the eighteenth angel"

I was expecting a really futuristic world, without cars and traditional guns and more mechas, as well as people getting attacking by Angels in Tokyo-3. And also for it to have a much faster pace.

I read it on Wikipedia. I spoiled myself, but I don't think I ended up remembering most of it.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:02 pm

Before watching Eva, I was a happy little school boy. And now look at me.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:52 pm

I was wondering what 'evange' meant and what it had to do with lions.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:22 am

Nothing - hadn't heard of it - just stumbled on episode 6 one day during either the late night animation showings on Sci-Fi or on Saiko Exciting.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:05 am

NGE was one of the first animes I heard about when I became interested in the medium. I didn't really read about it... I just remember thinking that it looked like Giant Robots fighting and the name implied something to do with God so the teenager and me thought it seemed pretty awesome. Didn't end up seeing it for about 8 years after that though.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:19 am

I had heard a little bit about it and that it was one of the more popular anime series EVAR, but it only looked like a standard mecha show like Gundam, Robotech or Voltron

but like I said before, my view of Japanese entertainment being at an all-time low after Haim Saban and the Power Rangers fiasco and futhermore with Pokemon phenomenon, they all prevented me from taking it seriously

sometime later, I accidently happened upon it late on Saturday night on Adult Swim and I was hooked
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:18 am

Sachi_13 wrote:Before watching Eva, I was a happy little school boy. And now look at me.

[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

...you're a lot happier now?
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:31 am

I wanted to get into the series in high school but didn't really have the means at the time. I was able to watch dub episode 5 because a friend had a tape of that volume, but it just left me confused/uninterested since I didn't know wtf was going on/why that Shinji kid was piloting Eva.
I saw dub episode 03 on Adult Swim and liked it more this time around. I ended up getting Platinum vol 1 and 2 that Christmas and I loved that show ever since.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:49 am

Didn't know a thing about Eva till I bought the series.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby zimlord » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:06 pm

Hunter21 wrote:Didn't know a thing about Eva till I bought the series.

same here. saw the complete collection in the bargain bin and figured "what the heck." i had only heard a few things about it before that. at the time i couldn't even pronounce 'evangelion' correctly.

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:30 pm

Hunter21 wrote:Didn't know a thing about Eva till I bought the series.

Yeah i literally rented the series on a whim because i had heard it was good (but nothing else). Watched the entire thing without spoiling my self at all, now that was an experence.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:36 pm

I knew of NGE as one of the major/classic Japanese Giant Robots titles, but nothing more about it when I started -- in retrospect I must have skimmed the first chapter of the manga in Super Manga Blast or similar, many years before, but that didn't stick. About the only bit of spoilage I had was on the Amazon page when ordering EoE.

It was rather different from Dirty Pair Flash or Burn Up Excess...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|🕊|🐸|MAL

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:00 pm

I knew nothing about it, but first watched it in 2002. I had recently bought the Cowboy Bebop boxset from Amazon, and they sent me a recommendation that I might also like the freshly released Evangelion boxset. They said in the ad that it was considered one of the best anime of all time. Knowing only that, I downloaded it, loved it, and then bought the box set..... and then bought the platinum boxset years later.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:08 pm

zimlord wrote:same here. saw the complete collection in the bargain bin and figured "what the heck."

May I ask how big of a bargain it was?
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby zimlord » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:58 pm

Sharaz Destler wrote:
zimlord wrote:same here. saw the complete collection in the bargain bin and figured "what the heck."

May I ask how big of a bargain it was?

bargain bin's a bit of a hyperbole in this case. I think it was something like 30-40% off that week on certain boxsets, which put the collection at about $40, maybe? I was used to seeing 26-ep boxsets run around $80, so I figured it was a steal. Pretty awesome purchase in retrospect.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”