Anime Recommendations Thread (READ RULES BEFORE POSTING)

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Tue May 27, 2008 3:34 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:I really liked the school side of the story -- while I called it "Marimite with spaceships"

Don't get me wrong, the school side of it was really well done. Also, marmite is gross.

Edit: I took a look at some of the translated manga, and while I'm not a huge manga fan, I didn't think it was anything special. However, I would love to see another anime series made from this universe, there's the potential of epic scale, super sci-fi explosions, hottie lesbians, and all other necessary elements of a good story.
Last edited by slothen on Wed May 28, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue May 27, 2008 8:10 pm

I saw a few episodes. I agree- the opening theme is gorgeous.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:15 am

Episode 7 of Spice and Wolf recently got subbed, which was a DVD only release. Unfortunately, it isn't very plot oriented, which is okay because the previous episode was the end of an exciting story arc and episode 8 was the beginning of a new one. Because I watched this series as it aired, there were several minor details that was fuzzy to me so I decided to marathon it all (13 episodes), and this time, along with the previously unaired episode 7.

So I'm going to need to recommend this for anyone who is interested in a fantasy-ish romance-ish slice of life with a cute, tsundere lead female, Horo. Horo is a wolf goddess who lives in wheat and was bound to a land because she promised to help keep the wheat harvest in a town plentiful. The town had since developed new ways of harvesting wheat and dealing with the droughts so she had felt she wasn't needed anymore, and therefore wanted to return to her homeland in the North. She happens to come upon a traveling merchant named Lawrence which helped her escape the town and he agrees to accompany her to her homelands. And the story, which is based on a series of highly acclaimed light novels, begins from here as they travel from town to town on their way to the North.

Unlike most fantasy or slice of life shows, this show revolves around trade, economics, companies, merchants and merchant guilds. However, the most memorable part of the story (for me) is the "romance" between Horo and Lawrence. At first, while at an inn, Lawrence introduces Horo as his wife in order to avoid suspicion, so she plays along. But they both endlessly tease each other with Horo usually ending with the upper hand, always using her charm to get what she wants, whether it's getting Lawrence to admit to something or apologize for something, or getting a better deal with an exchange of goods or a price of an item. At times, their relationship becomes strained as the story gets serious through things like getting betrayed by a trading partner or getting duped by another merchant causing their finances to crumble. There's also a bit of development between the two throughout the series.

Unfortunately, the series doesn't end with them arriving to their destination, maybe in the next season if there is one. However, it does have a pretty good ending; it isn't sad, it isn't cheesy, just a good end to a story arc involving a deal where actual lives are on the line. After having watched this series again, and all the way through in one sitting, I had to bump my MAL rating for it up a notch, from an 8 to a 9. It's a good show that's straightforward, and doesn't have your usual anime tropes, with the possible exception of seeing Horo nude somewhat often, since she 1) doesn't mind walking around with no clothes and 2) loses her clothes anyways when she transforms. But this doesn't happen enough for it to be distracting, and only in a couple of episodes. I'd recommend anyone who's into fantasy/romance/slice of life and would like to see a different take on this genre to check out this wonderful short series.

MAL entry (which includes more reviews) http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?id=2966

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:05 am

Ornette wrote:Spice and Wolf

Well worth your time and easy to fall in love with. Everything from the OP song to the characters to the artwork is pure awesome.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby zimlord » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:30 am

this is next on my list, which has been moving rather slowly lately. anyway, i'm putting this ahead of darker than black. horo looks teh sex.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:44 am

In the end I did not understand why the guy bought the old clothes. Couldn't catch the economical gig on it. Anyone explain?
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:11 pm

It's pretty stupid really. Hey buys it at a higher than bargainable cost in order for the shopkeeper to think he's made a good profit then Lawrence says he's in good with a Milone company and that he wants to do more business in the future. This was to put the shopkeeper in the position to think he's made out. THEN, Lawrence pretends to want to buy some clothes for Horo, and the shopkeeper ends up letting him have very nice clothes for cheap. Lawrence was saying that the shopkeeper would never have let those nice clothes go for so cheap if he didn't already make a good profit on a previous sale with a promise of future business. In reality, the shopkeeper ended up losing money because the first sale was meager compared to the clothes.

CanonRap
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CanonRap » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:10 pm

Cat Soup

Found a copy, picked it up, watched it.

Healthy dose of WTF followed.

And I would like to back up the previous Tsukihime recommendation with a Kara no Kyoukai ("The Edge of Emptiness") one, since I didn't see it on the list...

(I would just dump whatever I wrote on my blog here, but it has no clear intro, so here we go...)

For those who have played Tsukihime before, Rakkyo (the series nickname) is sort of its prototype; similar characters, and the main character also has the same ability as Tohno Shiki but slightly different.

The story is anachronistic; the first chapter (it was originally a novel written before Nasu got involved with Visual Novels) takes place in 1998, but the story itself starts in 1995, so the beginning is pretty confusing.

Well, onto the meat of things. This movie has been hyped, and for good reason; it will be possibly the first time that a TYPE-MOON work gets an animated adaptation from a competent studio. It gained an almost messianic profile amongst fans of Nasu’s works. Outsiders wonder what’s the big deal.

The big deal turns out to be that not only is Kara no Kyoukai one of the earliest TYPE-MOON works, it is also one of the two most fundamental; the other being Notes. Much of the canonical concepts appear in this work, and it also sets a very serious tone, being text and not a visual novel that needs to attract audiences.

The story is lifted nigh-intact from the original novel, containing the same strange plot but with several revised moments. Being a movie, it was not constrained by visual censorship and is heavy on blood. The visuals are beautiful, the music is incredible, and the story is immersing. The action scenes are brief but excellent, being part of the natural story without hindering it. The voice actors and actresses are all big-name veterans and they all give quality performances.

Before I start losing myself in fanboyism, in short, it sets a perfect mood for the series to come. Mysterious, questioning, and a good introduction to Nasu’s multiverse. Really, unless you watch anime purely for the aesthetics, I find it hard to imagine anyone not enjoying this to some degree.

Screencaps here.

The first film is about several seemingly unrelated suicides of high school girls; for some reason, they always leap off the same building. They don't leave suicide notes, but they kill themselves in such dramatic ways; most likely, they didn't even want to do it.

The series as a whole is rather brooding and has all the usual Nasu flavour; characters who double as philosophers and therapists, plots involving anger, fear, and the darker sides of people, and the struggle of life. People may be more familiar with a more famous work of his, Fate/stay night. Rakkyo manages to go much deeper, exploring the ideas of destiny and fate, human perception, and also sets up much of the multiverse's concepts, especially concerning the soul.

...Well, I hope that was somewhat adequate. I don't usually write stuff like this on forums. (And it's been hellishly long since I used this interface.)[/code]

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby zimlord » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:13 pm

CanonRap wrote:
Cat Soup

Found a copy, picked it up, watched it.

Healthy dose of WTF followed.

hell yeah, holmes.

StandardEvaFan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby StandardEvaFan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:18 am

Black Lagoon
The most badass anime ever.

Black Lagoon includes a considerable amount of graphic violence, often involving violent gun fights and spectacular physical feats in battle. Many of the characters who are most skilled with weapons (mainly guns) are women, thereby bearing a similarity with "girls-with-guns" genre with the six strongest women in the series parodying some type of stereotype (dragon lady, maids, nuns, etc.). Some of the scenes and dialog are within the realm of dark comedy, as humorous moments occur or are mentioned during and after many violent battles. (From Wiki)

It has lots of smooth action, and interesting dialogs. Despite the fact that it doesnt really have a plot , it still does a great job on character development. Come on, what could be better than badass females with guns in a whole city of crazy villians

ALL HAIL REVY :pwnd:

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:53 am

BobBQ ought to approve of that.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:12 pm

He's had Chang as an avatar, who was a badass among badasses in that show.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:16 pm

I'm somewhat rusty on what happened when, but I highly recommend/review Gainax's (....Never heard of 'em :tonguegrin: ) Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann ("Pierce the Heavens Gurren Lagann")

The story begins thousands of years in the future when humanity is forced to live in underground villages. This is to the point that people are mocked when saying that there is a surface, despite rumors about how humans used to live above ground. Two people living in such a village are Simon, a 14 year old digger who was orphaned when an Earthquake killed his parents as well as his best friend/surrogate older brother, 18 year old Kamina. When digging one day, Simon stumbles across a mysterious looking key that's related to another discovery that occurs soon after: a giant face in the ground which turns out to be a small mecha. Soon, monsters called Beastman appear in the village, along with somebody trying to stop them: a 14 year old girl who lives nearby the surface named Yoko. The three soon enough end up in the surface and Simon's tale of growing up only begins.

While Gurren Lagann is a good old fashioned shounen/Mecha series, there's enough comedy, romance and action to keep anybody entertained. The plot espeically keeps you hooked, although it's nowhere near as deep as Eva, simply all in good fun. Despite this being one of the shows that you should just turn off your brain when watching, several scenes in the show are quite moving, espeically considering the show's main theme of believing in yourself.

The characterization is mostly limited to development of the main characters, although it's done so well that you actually feel for one of the major "villains" by the time episode 17 rolls around as well as disliking one of the protagonists in the very same episode. Story-wise, it's is divided into about 4 or so different arcs (which can be considered similar to Eva in terms of having Prologue, Action, Descent and Bitter Arcs), with a total of 27 episodes, although episode 16 is purely a recap episode with no new material.

If you want to see what's bound to become another classic of Gainax, kick reason to the curb and give Gurren Lagann a chance.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:10 pm

in terms of having Prologue, Action, Descent and Bitter Arcs

That's '70s, '80s, '90s and '00s arcs.

And I'll stick to my crazy guns and kick logic out the door. :tongue:
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:36 pm

That's actually what the Arcs are called? All I meant with using the Eva named Arc was an example of the sort of feel the GL arcs give (sort of).

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:55 pm

GRIN LOGIN actually has 4 arcs, with very simple names.

Win, Awesome, Awesomer, Epic.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:03 pm

Ah, yes. How could I forget. ^_^

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:09 am

CorporalChaos wrote:GRIN LOGIN actually has 4 arcs, with very simple names.

Win, Awesome, Awesomer, Epic.

I thought they were called "Win, Awesome, Badass, and Holy Fucking Shit that was Epic.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:49 am

Mr. Tines might have been referring to the general era of giant robot animation being paid tribute in each so-called "arc"? I dunno lol.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:09 am

BrikHaus wrote:I thought they were called "Win, Awesome, Badass, and Holy Fucking Shit that was Epic.

Ah yes. Thanks for catching my mistake.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Return to “Anime and Manga”