A.T. Field Technicalities

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:06 am

So maybe she knows what it is and how to attack with it (which would definitely fit her character), but isn't aware that it's what's keeping her intact in all of the battles?

Considering the amounts of training that Asuka has had, it is INCREDIBLY dubious that nobody has told her, "BTW, your Eva's A.T. Field protects you, so make sure you activate it every time you sortie." Obviously, however, no one has told her, "BTW, your Eva is really your mom and she's protecting you."
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:08 am

Gamer_2k4 wrote:Heck, do we see ANY of the Evas stopping an attack with an AT field before the movie? Because they sure seem to get torn up easily...

To be entirely honest, the answer is "not directly". We see them withstand the explosions of dying Angels such as Israfel and Sahaquiel, but never--as far as I can recall--is an Angel's attack on an Eva stopped entirely by the Eva's AT Field. This isn't to say that the Evas' AT Fields are weak; it's probably because of the majority of Angels' common use of short-range attacks (Sachiel, Shamshel, Gaghiel etc.) instead of firing projectiles, or the use of highly penetrative beams by the Angel (Ramiel, Arael, Zeruel when it cuts EVA-01's arm), or--a slightly vague option--"direct physical contact" attacks such as those used by Armisael and Bardiel.
However, we do see the AT Field in action in places such as the wave of heat emanating from the Eva-lift before Unit 01 attacks Shamshel, the shimmer in the air in the coordinated attack against Israfel, and the midair slicing of Zeruel's razor arm by a berserk EVA-01. Remember, just because the resonating orange barrier isn't seen doesn't mean that the AT Field isn't present, just that nothing's disturbing it strongly enough (a high-energy projectile, prog' knife or the like) to have an effect.
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:52 am

Reichu wrote:Considering the amounts of training that Asuka has had, it is INCREDIBLY dubious that nobody has told her, "BTW, your Eva's A.T. Field protects you, so make sure you activate it every time you sortie."

Well, in EoE, she makes the comment about having 12000 plates of armor. It's possible that the pilots just assumed that that was what was stopping enemy attacks.

AyrYntake wrote:However, we do see the AT Field in action in places such as the wave of heat emanating from the Eva-lift before Unit 01 attacks Shamshel, the shimmer in the air in the coordinated attack against Israfel, and the midair slicing of Zeruel's razor arm by a berserk EVA-01.

Right, and as I noted earlier, those were all offensive uses of the AT field. The pilots clearly knew about the AT fields, but I think it's up in the air whether or not they were aware that they (they, personally; clearly they saw the Angels protecting themselves with AT fields) could use them as shields.
Last edited by Gamer_2k4 on Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamer_2k4

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:58 am

Hmm...so given the neural synchronization used in controlling an Eva, what actually goes through a pilot's mind when they're expanding an AT Field? I don't suppose thinking "create big shieldlike barrier around self" will work, will it...?
And, to recap on an old, probably-already-long-established point, humans' AT Fields are actually physical barriers as well. It's why they fall apart during 3I when the transition guides come for them
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:53 pm

Hmm...so given the neural synchronization used in controlling an Eva, what actually goes through a pilot's mind when they're expanding an AT Field? I don't suppose thinking "create big shieldlike barrier around self" will work, will it...?

I figured it could either work as an instinctive reflex, or "OH SHI-" or something of the like.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Super Chris
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Super Chris » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:13 pm

A thought I had is that perhaps humans and angels simply have a different kind of AT field - I think this was mentioned as a possibility earlier in the thread, but I'll elaborate.

The human AT field is, of course, stated to be the dividing line between individuals; I am me, I am not you, and I can never be you, at least not until third impact happens.

Angels, on the other hand, do not have this limitation. More than one attempts to become one with an Eva (and at least one also tries to become one with the pilot within as well). Their AT field takes on a more physical nature.

I think I will also speculate, that much like how the human AT field keeps us from getting too close spiritually, perhaps this prevents the Angels from getting too close to each other physically. Maybe this is why they attack one at a time?

Of course, that's just random speculation from me. It should, of course, be taken with a grain of salt.
This is a signature. A better one will come sometime later.

p06
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby p06 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:31 am

I think I will also speculate, that much like how the human AT field keeps us from getting too close spiritually, perhaps this prevents the Angels from getting too close to each other physically. Maybe this is why they attack one at a time?

I agree, I think the AT fields represents the level of individuality in the forms of life.

Angels(individual beings with no evidence of social behavior)->Humans(some level of individuality with social behavior)-> Humans eventually merging with lilith (no individuality)

Hence humans had weak AT fields because of their inherent social behavior. A large part of NGE is dedicated to inter-personal relationships. Perhaps it is this (albeit incomplete) level of interactions between individuals that prevent AT fields from becoming powerful. Humans are built to socialize rather than segregate.
-=p06 51 3w=-
:+5134+063

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:04 pm

p06 wrote:I agree, I think the AT fields represents the level of individuality in the forms of life.

Angels(individual beings with no evidence of social behavior)->Humans(some level of individuality with social behavior)-> Humans eventually merging with lilith (no individuality)

Hence humans had weak AT fields because of their inherent social behavior. A large part of NGE is dedicated to inter-personal relationships. Perhaps it is this (albeit incomplete) level of interactions between individuals that prevent AT fields from becoming powerful. Humans are built to socialize rather than segregate.

On the other hand, there's nothing indicating that the Angels' AT fields are stronger than the Evas', and the Evas have absolutely no trouble working together. In fact, the Evas also have no trouble synchronizing with the pilots, though each has their own AT field.

I like what you're saying though, and I almost want to extend it to say that people like Shinji (and really, all of the pilots) have a stronger AT field, and consequently have more trouble bonding with other people. Of course, that's kind of out there.
Gamer_2k4

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:55 pm

Actually that might explain quite a bit about Gendo. Perhaps AT-field strengthening as a result of massive childhood trauma was intentionally provoked in pilot candidates and might just be a major selection trait for new recruits (after dead mom and being the right age [for whatever reason], of course).
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:06 am

you mean, although everyone in Shinji's class have dead mothers, Shinji, Asuka, and Touji are selected because they're that much more fucked up than the others in the class? interesting, but way out there.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:07 am

slothen wrote:you mean, although everyone in Shinji's class have dead mothers, Shinji, Asuka, and Touji are selected because they're that much more fucked up than the others in the class? interesting, but way out there.

Well, from Seele's perspective, it's perfect. The people who are best able to synchronize with Evas are also the people who have a steadfast determination to pilot, and who won't be missed as much if they die. Remember what was constantly being said in the final episodes?

"Why do you exist?" "To pilot the Eva."
"What's your purpose in life?" "Piloting Eva."

That's exactly what the higher-ups would want. Take the people whose only way of proving to themselves that they matter is to do exactly what you want them to. As long as that image is being fostered, that the pilots are just tools whose lives would be meaningless without fighting, you're set.

Remember when Shinji decided the first time that he wouldn't pilot the Eva anymore? They basically said, "Suit yourself, don't let the door hit you on the way out." Remember when Shinji refused to fight Unit 3 because he might have hurt the pilot? They threw him in handcuffs right away. Personal feelings and attachments are liabilities when you're an Eva pilot.
Gamer_2k4

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:32 am

If SEELE only picked the fucked up, depressed kids, moral among the pilots would drop and ability to defeat the Angels would disappear. Seele wanted the Angels dead, so they could do their own 3I. If the pilots failed to do their jobs, no point in hiring them.

They did, however, use Shinji in EoE, because they knew he was fucked up and depressed, and thought that he'd accept Instrumentality for them.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/m7PXjf8PdP

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:44 am

Sachi_13 wrote:If SEELE only picked the fucked up, depressed kids, moral among the pilots would drop and ability to defeat the Angels would disappear.

Well, there's a bit of a difference between being a loner and being depressed. And, if you recall, my original theory (read: wild guess) was that stronger AT fields increased social barriers, not mental instability. Better focus and less personal connections are just side effects of that. If you don't have friends, then you'll try to fill that void by mattering to someone, even if they're people who are only using you for their own means. That doesn't require depression, nor does it have to be associated with it.

Is depression possible? Naturally. Asuka went that way. But no risk, no reward, right? Seele and Nerv constantly had to take risks in order to ensure that their goal would be attained. Let Jet Alone potentially replace the Evas, or take a chance and send a nuclear powered robot on a blind trail of destruction? Activate a dummy plug with potentially disastrous results, or let your pilot get killed by an infected Eva? Lose the LoL to kill an Angel, or let it dismantle your pilots and eventually hit Central Dogma? Seele took risks all the time, and the use of particular children might have just been one of them.
Gamer_2k4

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:39 am

Sachi_13 wrote:They did, however, use Shinji in EoE, because they knew he was fucked up and depressed, and thought that he'd accept Instrumentality for them.

Odd then that the troops attacking Nerv were ordered to kill him.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:16 pm

That may not have been SEELE's idea. According to Chronicle (I think) the JSSDF was the only unit in Japan directly under the command of the Prime Minister. He wanted to seal NERV off for 20 years which is clearly not what SEELE wanted.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:19 pm

Even though SEELE was all like "lol NERV's gonna kill us all lol"? They were clearly trying to take out all the EVA's and their pilots. SEELE's scenario didn't really intend for Shinji to be put in charge of everything, that was Rei's decision. SEELE capitalized on it anyway though.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:54 pm

We really have no idea who gave the order. The PM showed he isn't SEELE's pawn so he could have given it for his own reasons.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:55 pm

Off-topic posts are off-topic. Keep this up, and you know what happens.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

devil_eAter
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby devil_eAter » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:01 am

This may be a strange theory, but we recall how Kaworu said the AT Field simply was are barrier from other people, one of which is of the mind, correct? Yet it is when the Eva pilots and the Eva (who harness the souls of their mothers) are together the AT Field is so strong that it protects them physically, despite its purpose ultimately seem to be to keep others away, it is when two are together it is strongest. Could this be away of sayng when people embrace each other, they are strongest?
Fred Phelps sucks....

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:08 am

I like it! :thumbsup:

And just to clarify:

Angels/Evas AT Fields=physical barriers

Lilin AT Fields=psychological barriers
~Take care of yourself, I need you~