Pill Popping Ayanami

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Zuggy
Banned

Pill Popping Ayanami

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:18 pm

Was hoping our resident doctor might recognise what medication Rei is on.

Thought there was a nice high-res image of Rei's table (so you could read the Japanese written on the packaging) on one of the collectors discs but couldn't find anything.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:27 pm

I do believe that in the manga, Ritsuko strongly implies that Rei physically needs to take this medication to survive...apparently due to some of the inherent flaws in her cloned-body
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:40 pm

Yeah, but it's never said what the pills she takes are.

Written on the bottle in the first image is 内 which means interior - I don't recognise the other kanji on the bottle tho'. There's loads of writing on the white packet as well as on the bottles in the second image - the shape and colours of the three different types of pills in the two images might give something away too.
Last edited by Zuggy on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:43 pm

this is a good effort zugzwang but I really think that so little of the actual containers are shown that we'll never be able to know *exactly* what they say, its too cut off
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:50 pm

Depends. If I come across a kid's medical record and it says "Thomas had a B-" and the rest of the page is torn or whatever I'll know that it went on to say "BCG vaccination".

I don't know how much Brik handles medications, but if he does the same sort of thing would apply as above with regards to recognising stuff with hardly any info.

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:59 pm

Zuggy wrote:Depends. If I come across a kid's medical record and it says "Thomas had a B-" and the rest of the page is torn or whatever I'll know that it went on to say "BCG vaccination".

Or it could mean that he had a Brain tumor removed. There really isn't enough information from just one letter, and if the medication truly is required for Rei to survive, as V said, than it could be all sorts of things: immuno-boosters, hormone supplements, basic vitamins, or even something theoretical that 2015 doctors have and we don't. I'd say there are too many possibilities to nail it down.
Gamer_2k4

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:01 pm

They probably made a lot of it up man. For one thing, who'd know what medication a clone would need to take? Too me, the fact that the labels are pretty ambiguous would suggest to me that they're trying to keep it ambiguous, or just plain not using any medication, because there's always somebody who'll go:

Diamorphine Chloride! Rei must be in a lot of pain.

Or try to bitch about it eing the wrong medication for her condition. We're only meant to know that's she's taking tablets, not what they are, or what they're for...

And whats to stop them being Custom Clone Tablets?
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:24 pm

V wrote:I do believe that in the manga, Ritsuko strongly implies that Rei physically needs to take this medication to survive...apparently due to some of the inherent flaws in her cloned-body

Ritsuko says that she's the one who keeps Rei alive, which could mean other things, too.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:35 pm

Those pills contain SOP nano-machines that regulate Rei's abilities and behavior. :grin:

But seriously, she seems to take as much medicine as an old crone. That in and of itself should raise red flags that at the very least she needs them to function normally. She might be able to live without them, but if she could, which I doubt, she'd probably be a drooling idiot.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:41 pm

Reichu wrote:Ritsuko says that she's the one who keeps Rei alive, which could mean other things, too.
good LORD I've never thought of that pairing @_@

but what about the "situation" with Rei I and Naoko, then?
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:54 pm

Iron Rooster wrote:Those pills contain SOP nano-machines that regulate Rei's abilities and behavior. :grin:

But seriously, she seems to take as much medicine as an old crone. That in and of itself should raise red flags that at the very least she needs them to function normally. She might be able to live without them, but if she could, which I doubt, she'd probably be a drooling idiot.

Remember Rei's hand dropping in EoE and Gendo talking about her AT-Field not being capable of keeping her together?

As Rei's body is artificial and not her real one I guess that means there's problems in keeping it together by AT-Field. To make it possible those pills exist.

I thought manga pretty much confirmed this theory *shrug*

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:27 pm

@Xard - Interesting, I doubt she'd been taking any pills recently in EoE. You might be on to something.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:42 pm

Iron Rooster wrote:@Xard - Interesting, I doubt she'd been taking any pills recently in EoE. You might be on to something.

Yeah, and Ritsuko is locked up too. And it's not like she has to anymore with Third Impact being just around corner

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:02 am

Zuggy wrote:Depends. If I come across a kid's medical record and it says "Thomas had a B-" and the rest of the page is torn or whatever I'll know that it went on to say "BCG vaccination".

I don't know how much Brik handles medications, but if he does the same sort of thing would apply as above with regards to recognising stuff with hardly any info.

....no, I would not take "Thomas had a B-" and jump to the conclusion of "BCG vaccination". Bad example for what you're trying to say I understand, but it remains that I think you're going to jump to conclusions.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:32 am

V wrote:....no, I would not take "Thomas had a B-" and jump to the conclusion of "BCG vaccination". Bad example for what you're trying to say I understand, but it remains that I think you're going to jump to conclusions.

Gamer_2k4 wrote:Or it could mean that he had a Brain tumor removed.

Incidence rate for children with brain tumours isn't high, whereas every school-going child in the country has had a BCG vaccination. There might be a one in a million chance that they had a brain tumour instead sure.

V wrote:I really think that so little of the actual containers are shown that we'll never be able to know *exactly* what they say, its too cut off

Gamer_2k4 wrote:There really isn't enough information from just one letter, and if the medication truly is required for Rei to survive, as V said, than it could be all sorts of things: immuno-boosters, hormone supplements, basic vitamins, or even something theoretical that 2015 doctors have and we don't. I'd say there are too many possibilities to nail it down.

Dartz wrote:They probably made a lot of it up man. For one thing, who'd know what medication a clone would need to take? Too me, the fact that the labels are pretty ambiguous would suggest to me that they're trying to keep it ambiguous, or just plain not using any medication, because there's always somebody who'll go:

Diamorphine Chloride! Rei must be in a lot of pain.

Or try to bitch about it eing the wrong medication for her condition. We're only meant to know that's she's taking tablets, not what they are, or what they're for...

And whats to stop them being Custom Clone Tablets?

Did any of you even bother to try to identify any of the stuff in the screenshots before giving up?

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:41 am

Zuggy wrote:
V wrote:....no, I would not take "Thomas had a B-" and jump to the conclusion of "BCG vaccination". Bad example for what you're trying to say I understand, but it remains that I think you're going to jump to conclusions.

Gamer_2k4 wrote:Or it could mean that he had a Brain tumor removed.

Incidence rate for children with brain tumours isn't high, whereas every school-going child in the country has had a BCG vaccination. There might be a one in a million chance that they had a brain tumour instead sure.

Well, Rei is definitely a one in a million child. It would be jumping to conclusions to assume that her medication is the same as ones that the average child would take.

But, on the other hand, you're right; it's probably better to try to identify the drugs and fail than to just say, "Screw this, we'll never know."
Gamer_2k4

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:46 pm

It's a made-up drug called Plotus Devicide.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Soljer13
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Soljer13 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:19 pm

Prozac, Vicodin, Ritalin, Vitamin Supplements, lithium, sodium valproate, Chlorpromazine, Quetiapine, Olanzapine, carbamazepine, lamotrigine, benserazide, zidovudine, lamivudine, efavirenz, tenofovir, emtricitabine,
lopinavir, ritonavir, methotrexate, cyclophosphamide.
PURGE! CLEANSE! KILL! FOR THE EMPEROR!

p06
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby p06 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:35 am

Zuggy wrote:Yeah, but it's never said what the pills she takes are.

Written on the bottle in the first image is 内 which means interior - I don't recognise the other kanji on the bottle tho'. There's loads of writing on the white packet as well as on the bottles in the second image - the shape and colours of the three different types of pills in the two images might give something away too.

it says 内服, which basically tells you that the medicine is to be taken orally... (as opposed to externally applied creams which would be 外服).

The brown bottle on the second picture seems to say B-7. Vitamin B7?
-=p06 51 3w=-
:+5134+063

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:19 am

soljerameelguy wrote:(whole bunch of drugs)

Wait, really?

Really?

So Rei is bipolar, schizophrenic, and apparently has aids?

O_o
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”