Kaji gunshot vis a vis AWL

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Iron Rooster
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:01 pm

Ha ha, funny. I almost forgot that Eva was fucked up to begin with. I guess I'm saying fucking up the way it was meant to be fucked up. :smirk:
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:03 pm

Zerogoki wrote:I can't speak for everyone, but certainly the reason I hate that change is because the original sound was (certainly to my mind) obviously supposed to sound like a slap. No-one in their right mind would think that, with all his attention to detail, Anno would allow that sound to remain if it was supposed to sound like a gunshot.

Whether or not you get the artistic reasons for Anno's decision (juxtaposition of the actual shooting with Asuka's reaction to it; namely belting Shinji round the chops!) the reason I hate AWL's decision to change the sound to the gunshot is that it is beyond translating; it is second-guessing Anno's intention, and thus takes something away from the English-speaking audience's viewing experience. Not only that, but it is then made worse by the fact that in the commentary she seems completely unaware of what she did, thus proving her ignorance of the subject matter and showing her to be the completely unsuitable director that we all suspected.
What he said word for word.

You know why you don't do crap like this? Imagine someone taking the line "People shouldn't fear their governments, governments should fear their people" in V for Vendetta and changing it to "Yo man, Peeps shouldn't fear the man, the man should be scared shitless of they homeboys."

Translation is an ART. Anyone's who's read translated classic literature knows that, and the two schools of thought is literal VS spirit. But what you never, ever do is deliberately change something just to suit yourself and try to second guess the artist. That is stuff for juvenile fan-subs.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:46 pm

AWL should not have changed it, simply put. She should not have added the sound effects, either (I am still trying to find the name of the stock "gooshy" sound effects she used in the EoE dub, so I can mention it in the wiki).

It's the kind of crap you'd expect from the stereotypical dub edited for televsion (though even those aren't that edited in this day and age), not an alleged uncut release put out in the 00s.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:29 pm

Iron Rooster wrote:Holy shit, I cannot believe someone thought they had the right to FUCK UP Evangelion. Maybe we should change the sound of us crucifying those assholes from a 'slap' to a 'gunshot'.

Do you really think that? I mean do you literally think you'd physically attack these people or worse if you met? I pause to ponder what would happen if certain persons around here ever say, met the ADV folks at a convention or something
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and the End
The Beginning and the End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:35 pm

Have you not heard of the overstatement? I assume that the folks here would steer well clear of any ADV people at conventions, unless they had questions to ask about the production of the dub.
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:02 pm

I was within a meter or so of Greenfield, but I don't think I actually said anything.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:11 pm

Verily. Nonetheless I ask myself: what does ADV think of this fansite? Truth be told, so many other late 90's classic Eva fansites died off, that EvaMonkey/EvaCommentary became more or less the biggest remaining English fansite; that is to say, google "Evangelion fansite" and you'll find this place often as not. I ponder if the ADV folks have ever, in the past years, chanced upon these fansites. I mean there's quite a bit of *cough* copyrighted material being hosted on here, and I don't think they'd be "amused".... (EDIT: Er, that's just a rhetorical "pondering" I honestly have no answer to that, I'm saying simply that I myself wonder what the heck they think and what "actions" they might take if they decided to play it by the book...)

Reichu wrote:I was within a meter or so of Greenfield, but I don't think I actually said anything.

very interesting; when and under what circumstances?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:13 pm

V wrote:what does ADV think of this fansite?

If it's important enough, they'll let us know.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:36 pm

A long time ago, when ADV was about to first released Eva, AWL made an account on the madman boards and posted a few times. I don't think they purge their old threads so I bet they're still there.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:06 pm

hmmm....google reveals other reports that she did indeed do that but I'm having trouble actually finding the darned posts (shrug) probably not noteworthy anyways.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:31 pm

V wrote:hmmm....google reveals other reports that she did indeed do that but I'm having trouble actually finding the darned posts (shrug) probably not noteworthy anyways.

You just need to go to the first page of threads. And they aren't noteworthy.

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:24 pm

I watched the Japanese version, so I guess I'm not affected by any of this. Still, the "shot" in the original series wasn't that bad a rendering of a transitional sound (a "gunslap" as V so succinctly put it), I think...I considered it more of a silenced pistol shot than anything else the first time I heard it. Anno's subtlety is undeniable.
As for AWL, I never considered her noteworthy in the first place. "It sounded like someone got slapped..." and that little chuckle afterwards (ugh!) just serve to put me off even further. My advice: watch the original version. Of course, the only problem there is getting a reliable copy of the subs.
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”