Sean McCoy

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:59 am

AchtungAffen wrote:Yeah. Sometimes I also think that Evas "mysteries" are more of an accident than an essence.

Remember the Anno quote about NGE being a mystery?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:17 pm

No, don't remember. Well, my memory hasn't been working that fine lately.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:25 pm

Carl Horn wrote:I think I had a different experience of the show--not so much as a puzzle to be solved; to me EVA was something a lot more simple and immediate......

......In an odd way, despite my professional experience with the series that came later, or the evidence of my long, convoluted postings to this board, EVA for me is still a very uncomplicated thing in of itself. I feel its complexities more as effects than as a cause. See, that did make less sense than the series itself ;-)

I agree with this to some extent. I think that the emotions Anno is trying to evoke in various scenes, and the message he is trying to convey, each of us has intrinsic value as an individual, are a lot more obvious than some people seem to think.

But are you saying that we should only savor the feeling of watching EVA, and not try to understand the vehicle with wich the message is being transmitted? It wasn't clear until the Director's Cuts what a major factor Shinji's perceived rejection of Asuka in Ep. 15 was in her depression. This, together with the "Asuka learns about Kaji" scene from 24', was a deliberate addition designed to pave the way for her rejection of Shinji in the "Pre-3I instrumentality" sequence in 26'. This rejection was the major immediate factor that caused Shinji to say "Let everybody die."

I can't agree with you. These were way more than just interesting enhancements.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:24 am

thewayneiac wrote:In the ep. 20 commentary, McCoy proves himself to be beyond redemption. During the scene where Asuka, Rei and Misato are asking Shinji to become one with them, he says something like "This ties in with the end of the movie, where Asuka has taken on the characteristics of Rei and Misato".

ARRRGH!!! A whole new generation of Eva fans is being contaminated by this drivel!!!

Yeah i can see this one coming!
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:15 am

thewayneiac wrote:
I agree with this to some extent. I think that the emotions Anno is trying to evoke in various scenes, and the message he is trying to convey, each of us has intrinsic value as an individual, are a lot more obvious than some people seem to think.

But are you saying that we should only savor the feeling of watching EVA, and not try to understand the vehicle with wich the message is being transmitted? It wasn't clear until the Director's Cuts what a major factor Shinji's perceived rejection of Asuka in Ep. 15 was in her depression. This, together with the "Asuka learns about Kaji" scene from 24', was a deliberate addition designed to pave the way for her rejection of Shinji in the "Pre-3I instrumentality" sequence in 26'. This rejection was the major immediate factor that caused Shinji to say "Let everybody die."

I can't agree with you. These were way more than just interesting enhancements.

I don't mean to denigrate their inclusion into the series, only to say I felt Anno had said enough about the characters in the original TV version for me to accept their feelings already. In the case of Asuka, we have someone whose biggest single pride in life is directly linked to the insanity and suicide of her mother. In the case of Shinji, we have someone expected to save everybody but who was abandoned by the two humans who should have been closest to him at an early age. In other words, if there was to be bonus footage or extra scenes, I personally didn't need to be further convinced of why Asuka or Shinji might behave as they did. It's not wrong to put in such scenes; I'm just saying that Anno had already sold me the first time I watched the TV show.

--C.

Psyche ist ein griechisches Wort lautet in deutscher Ubersetzung Seele. Psychische Behandlung heisst demnach Seelenbehandlung.

"Psyche" is a Greek word, and its German translation is "soul." Psychical treatment hence means, "treatment of the soul."

--Sigmund Freud, 1905

MDWigs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:41 am

AchtungAffen wrote:No, don't remember. Well, my memory hasn't been working that fine lately.

"Evangelion is like a puzzle, you know. Any person can see it and give his/her own answer. In other words, we're offering viewers to think by themselves, so that each person can imagine his/her own world. We will never offer the answers, even in the theatrical version. As for many Evangelion viewers, they may expect us to provide the 'all-about Eva' manuals, but there is no such thing. Don't expect to get answers by someone. Don't expect to be catered to all the time. We all have to find our own answers." Anno Hideaki -PA #43, translated by Miyako Graham from 11/96 Newtype

I think this is the one Reichu is referring to.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen- year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time." --Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:57 pm

Thx.

Talking about Anno interviews. Someone not long ago posted a link to an interview on a site, but not through the site but through that websitearchives.com or whatever. I've been trying to find it but was unable. Does anybody have the link to that post?
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

the-artist-known-as-chris
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby the-artist-known-as-chris » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:03 pm

thewayneiac wrote:In the ep. 20 commentary, McCoy proves himself to be beyond redemption. During the scene where Asuka, Rei and Misato are asking Shinji to become one with them, he says something like "This ties in with the end of the movie, where Asuka has taken on the characteristics of Rei and Misato".

ARRRGH!!! A whole new generation of Eva fans is being contaminated by this drivel!!!

Ugh, tell me about it. That's one of the biggest fanboy myths in the fandom. It anoys the hell out of me.

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby anatrok » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:04 pm

Don't get angry, Laugh...

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”