What anime are you watching right now? May07-Feb10

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

Postby Ironfoot » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:03 pm

Watched the first 3 episodes of Xenogrossa last week. Definitely some Eva influence, but so far I feel it to be far more shallow. The execution is interesting, but questionable.

Zerogoki
Tunniel

Postby Zerogoki » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:33 pm

SSD wrote:That, or Shinji getting butching up lessons from Haruka while Misato accidentally gives Usagi "juice" (alcohol).

:rofl:

Totally with you on Sailor Moon; love it! My favourites keep switching between S and Stars. (Maybe because they're the ones with the outer senshi in them...?) I first saw this more than 10 years ago, and way before I ever saw Eva, so I kind of did the mutual seiyuu thing backwards.

i.e. "OMG! That seiyuu playing Shinji sounds like Sailor Uranus!"
as opposed to
"OMG! That seiyuu playing Sailor Uranus sounds like Shinji!"

I'm currently doing a bit of catch-up on my animes, as there seem to be quite a few I've missed. Have just finished Serial Experiments Lain, and am about to start on RahXephon. (If Lovefilm ever send me the right disc! :angry: )

Am also trying to complete my viewings of all Studio Ghibli films. I think I've got 4 or 5 to go - the most recent one I saw was The Cat Returns.
zerogokiru theories make Zerogoki want to hit walls...
#I've got a soul,
But I'm not going to tell you whose...#

"It was originally Happy Magic Virtue Shield." NAveryW on the heap of odd that is the Enchanted Shield of Virtue...
Brikhaus: "I would use Eva-02 (because it's red) to deliver toys to all the good little girls and boys of the world on a single night. That night? September 19th, which is Talk Like a Pirate Day."

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:14 pm

I'm considering placing Legend of the Galactic Heroes on my to-watch list. Its 110 episodes long, sci-fi epic. space battles WITHOUT mecha. Everything I've read about it has been positive. Has anyone else seen it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_ ... tic_Heroes
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

C4
Lilith

Postby C4 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:59 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:About Crayon Shin-chan: I thought that aired Unedited on Adult Swim several years back and was released on DVD??

Shin-chan started airing less than two years ago(to be exact, during the fall of 2006) on Adult Swim, but instead of a straight translation, it's a "re-versioning", which means that they made the jokes a lot dirtier and added a lot of pop culture references. It's one of the funniest shows I've seen in years, and the acting is top notch; it was very surprising for a Funimation dub. Big fan, own the DVD, love it. :clap:

DELICIOUS YOKO ISHIDA: YOU MUST TRY. (Note to self: edit that page to include her songs)

Member Favorites: 1. How sad. -_-::

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby honsou » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:06 am

Just finished up "Welcome to the NHK" and i must agree with Ornette. If you have no seen it, its something that everyone needs to see. Its incredibly funny, touching and in all likelihood will strike a nerve. Amazing show. Now I'm watching Genshiken now, it seems to be good. I read the first vol. of the manga years ago and liked it so it will probably be decent.

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby zimlord » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:39 am

honsou wrote:Just finished up "Welcome to the NHK" and i must agree with Ornette. If you have not seen it, its something that everyone needs to see.

seconded whole-heartedly. :thumbsup:

NHK is one of my favorite anime, right up there with Eva, Cat Soup, and Haibane Renmei. I agree with hons on all accounts: the comedy is perfect, and at the same time manages to augment the story, which will indeed strike a note. Ye shall laugh and ye shall WEEP. It's seriously a great anime.

and while i'm at it, here's my NHK review on MAL.

Jay911
Lilith

Postby Jay911 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:06 am

Most recent: Spice and Wolf 7. Good episode, but did it really need to be held until the DVD release?

Kinda feeling like I need a new series now. Am NOT interested in Gurren Lagann; what I could really use is another season of Black Lagoon or FMP. Blah. :P :)
--j.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:14 am

Jay911 wrote:Most recent: Spice and Wolf 7. Good episode, but did it really need to be held until the DVD release?

Just be glad you grabbed it in time.

I finally finished FMA, and now I think I understand the hype. I just put in an order for the movie even though I remembered it garnering a lukewarm reception when it came out. Since completing the series I've completely abstained from reading any opinions of the film; my memories of its reception are extremely cloudy, and if I'm going to be disappointed then I want it to feel fresh at the very least.

I haven't yet decided which DL'd series I'm going to return to. Before I return to work at the end of the summer, I'll also have to work on finishing SMTP 3:F, FFXII, Odin Sphere, and the third Xenosaga.

And they call this "recreation".

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:11 pm

Currently watching Berserk remastered.

Pretty good so far. The quality isamazing as well.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Since everyone moved to MAL this thread got a little neglected.

One thing MAL doesn't do, though, is record re-watching very well -- I'm currently going back through Marimite season 1, which is interesting when considered juxtaposed with the just finished season 4; also Kashimashi, and being pleasantly surprised once again by how it shifts gear from frivolity to drama in the last few episodes.

Also, both of these are from long enough ago that I had hardly any Japanese when I first watched them; the effect of 3 years more almost daily exposure is an interesting experience, too.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Axell
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Axell » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:27 pm

do we have a group on mal?

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:35 pm

This season my main shows are Eden of the East and K-on. Both are looking pretty good after one episode and feel like I'm gonna enjoy them a lot. I never keep track of anything other than finished stuff on MAL so this thread is good. Evageeks on MAL is here by the way.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Shiro » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:51 pm

Watching FMA: Brotherhood and finishing Shikabane Hime: Kuro atm.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:52 pm

Recently finished from last week: Akikan, Skip Beat!, Ichigo Mashimaro Encore OVA, Zoku Natsume Yuujincho, Clannad After Story, Lupin III: The Legend of the Gold of Babylon, Maria Holic, Minami-ke Okaeri, White Album, Toaru Majitsu no Index, Cobra the Animation OVA, Blade of the Immortal.

Still watching: Birdy the Mighty DECODE 2, Candy Boy, Eden of the East, FMA 2, Hajime no Ippo New Challenger, Higurashi Rei OVA, Jigoku Shouji 3, K-ON!, Mission E, Munti TV (newer series), One Outs, Queen's Blade, Rideback, Shikabane Hime, Shin Mazinger Z, Daughter of 20 faces, Valkyria Chronicles, xxxHolic Shunmuki, Zettai Karen Children.

In DVD Queue: Tenchi Muyo Universe, Kannazuki no Miko, Tales of Phantasia, Tokyo Underground.

I don't update my MAL with currently watching or rewatches, but I have most of those on my ANN profile

Axell wrote:do we have a group on mal?

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=2297

Jay911
Lilith

Postby Jay911 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:58 pm

I've been tracking my progress on another forum..

Recently finished: Toradora!, RideBack, Birdy DECODE

Not so recently finished: Macross F, Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, Onegai Teacher, and Gurren Lagann, despite my previous message.

Still going: Birdy DECODE 02

Impatiently waiting for: Spice and Wolf II, Black Lagoon 3
--j.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:03 pm

I use MAL as a prosthetic memory for managing where I am in my backlog most of the time.

I just finished the two series from Q1 that I followed -- Marimite4 and Rideback -- plus a year long meander through Aria the Natural; I've sampled a couple of series from this season -- Saki and Asura Cryin' -- and there's a few more to check out as subs arrive, but there isn't yet anything I can definitely say I'm following.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Baz » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:12 pm

My list is very short.

Just finished:
Clannad After Story - some great episodes but mostly dull
KareKano - re-watched recently, many episodes are pure gold
Paprika - excellent animation, but Perfect Blue was a better story and much more suspenseful
Gunbuster the Movie - hated it

Nothing planned for the future, but if I feel the need, probably Nodame Cantabile or something like it. I have too many movies in my queue for me to fit in much anime.
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:19 pm

I'm playing catch-up at the moment... recently watched Revolutionary Girl Utenna (and the movie, wtf?), GitS:SAC SSS, Wolf's Rain, and Voices of a Distant Star.

Next on the block is Simoun, and then I'm going to track down this Elfen Lied thing I hear so much about. :thumbsup:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Shiro » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:59 pm

Despite believing there was one episode left, apparently Shikabane Hime ended at 25. With a crappy ending. So yeah, done with that show.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

Guyver Spawn
Donor
Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:53 pm

Bastard, TTGL and Hellsing OVA 3 for me at the moment. I hope Idoen is good.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Return to “Anime and Manga”