The Wall vs. Evangelion...a little project I have in mind

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

The Wall vs. Evangelion...a little project I have in mind

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:13 pm

Hi there.

Well, I have to confess that I've got something in mind for ACen 2015--a project that is tentatively entitled The Wall vs. Evangelion, which is nominally an AMV project that combines the narratives of Pink Floyd's masterpiece The Wall and Neon Genesis Evangelion. However, before you stick this in the AMV thread, let me continue.

The project involves a live band playing the songs onstage, with the vocalists occasionally dressed in costume to further the narrative along. Along with that and the AMVs, I also plan to incorporate specially-filmed live-action vignettes and redubbed sections of the anime series, with original clips from it to serve as the "sound effects" from the original album.

I plan to engage in this largely because I'm a huge fan of Pink Floyd in general and The Wall in particular, and also because I think it'll be great fun getting this thing together. I am already in the process of learning to play the electric guitar--but more on that later--so I am already making some headway on this. Song/AMV synopses to come later on. :jiggy:

All in all it was all just bricks in The Wall...
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

PartyHard
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PartyHard » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:18 pm

I've just watched The Wall movie. Good luck and bring on the mindfuck.
* Kederaji is now officially offended by the Red Cross.
<FraX> How much blood did they want today?
<Kederaji> Well, you know that questionnaire they ask you before they poke you with the needle?
<FraX> Yeah.
<Kederaji> Well, the guy took a look at me and started marking all the sex related questions as "No".
<Kederaji> Didn't even bother to ask me, just marked them "No."
<Kederaji> The bastard.
<FraX> Was he right?
<Kederaji> He was, but that's not the point!

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:23 pm

Which brings up an interesting idea. For the entire musical side of the EvaGeeks forums. We could have people record and send in their own played music/sung vocals to a song we pick and put them together using, I don't know Garage Band, and create an EvaGeeks Soundtrack.... Just a thought... (I just may have to orchestrate this idea, thank you very much Sharaz!)

But that is a pretty cool idea. I'd say GO FOR IT!!
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:38 pm

IrkenEvangelion wrote:Which brings up an interesting idea. For the entire musical side of the EvaGeeks forums. We could have people record and send in their own played music/sung vocals to a song we pick and put them together using, I don't know Garage Band, and create an EvaGeeks Soundtrack.... Just a thought... (I just may have to orchestrate this idea, thank you very much Sharaz!)

How long do you think your ears would stand up to the onslaught of my powerful singing? (Its probably worse than "The Super Kawaii-est Lucky Star Fandub Evar"...if you haven't seen it, I recommend that you don't.)

As for The Wall idea, good luck in that.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:51 am

Just don't be surprised if no one is surprised by your efforts. Eva and Pink FLoyd/The Wall have been linked together so many times it's not even funny anymore.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:46 am

Hunter21 wrote:Just don't be surprised if no one is surprised by your efforts. Eva and Pink FLoyd/The Wall have been linked together so many times it's not even funny anymore.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. But I'm sure people will be surprised at the extent of my vision--like I said earlier, I'm taking the entire narrative of The Wall and transposing it onto EVA. All too often, people have focused on only one song to fit the visuals (e.g. Comfortably Numb, The Trial, etc.) but here it's the whole double-album. And it's going to be done live, as soon as I can work out how to get little niggles such as licensing out of the way. Roger Waters is a good enough guy about that, I expect--he licenses The Wall out to non-profit theater groups to be performed...but what of GAINAX?
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

PartyHard
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PartyHard » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:54 pm

like I said earlier, I'm taking the entire narrative of The Wall and transposing it onto EVA.

For the sake of having more footage material, maybe you should consider including Rebuild?
<Kederaji> Well, you know that questionnaire they ask you before they poke you with the needle?
<FraX> Yeah.
<Kederaji> Well, the guy took a look at me and started marking all the sex related questions as "No".
<Kederaji> The bastard.
<FraX> Was he right?

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:00 pm

Jcmoorehead was looking at something similar, as a sort of stage show. You might want to talk to him. I think he has an accout here
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:02 pm

Yeah this is something I've been thinking of for ages. I think to make it work properly you'd probably have to take some songs out and maybe change them a bit but most of them could remain.

I'd probably have Mother as a duet between Asuka & Shinji.

One Of My Turns would be based on the scene in EoE where Shinji strangles Asuka. Except there'd be more flipping out and breaking stuff. On stage I'd have it similar to the Wall Live In Berlin where Roger acts out Pinks Part in the hotel room high up in the Wall.

Comfortably Numb would be incredibly epic at about 12 minutes long. With the whole Disco Ball above the crowd thing like in Pulse except it'd be red beams shining on it to try to represent Instrumentality.

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:21 pm

RE: JCMoorehead

You know what? I like the way you think!!! :thumbsup:

Except...I'd make "MOTHER" as a song for various characters expressing their doubts and fears to the MAGI, which seems very much like an overprotective mother in the original series, especially in "The Day Tokyo-3 Stood Still" when the power goes out!

For "COMFORTABLY NUMB", it'd be a duet between Kaworu (Roger's part) and Shinji (David's part). In this song, we give a whole new meaning to the line "It's just a little pinprick/But you may feel a little sick"--if you catch my drift. There's also a gadget I saw in a catalog: a laser star show, which costs $200 USD and gives you a laser and hologram starfield and "space clouds".

As for you, JC, I leave you with a parting thought: Gendo Ikari doing Instrumentality as the "fascist rally" sequence.
---------------------------------------------
RE: PartyHard

Please inform me when Rebuild is available to buy stateside. 'Til then, I can't use it. On that note, I'd like to know where I can obtain a copy of Death/Rebirth and End Of EVA.
-------------------------------------------------------

One other thought: I actually can't make an AMV to save my life. :pwnd: I thought I could write a script of what I'd like to see and have someone who knows better than I do make the video, whilst giving them enough free rein to add their own artistic vision. I'd like to have this whole project involve a little input from everyone, so that we can avoid a "Waters' Ego Trip" as much as possible :smirk:

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:32 am

Sharaz Destler wrote:As for you, JC, I leave you with a parting thought: Gendo Ikari doing Instrumentality as the "fascist rally" sequence.

Gendo Ikari doing the whole fascist dictator rally thing would certainly be an interesting thing to see. However what about if it was Shinji doing it instead? Shinji becomes so closed off as he goes through all that has happened and he snaps and becomes that character. At the start of In The Flesh when Pink marches onto the stage I'd have Shinji simply shoot Gendo and that's how it starts.

I do like your concept for Mother though, it makes a lot more sense then the duet version I had in mind. Comfortably Numb makes sense bringing Kaworu into it however for the Asuka Shinji Part I was thinking of having Asuka singing David's first part and then Shinji singing his secong part.

One of the problems I have found with the Evangelion/The Wall thing is that while there are some parallels you would have to change some aspects of the Wall to make it work because The Wall was Rogers personal work so some songs apply only to him. An idea I thought of would possibly be to take out songs that don't really fit in and maybe introduce another Floyd song into the script somewhere.

It's definately something that if I had the adequate time, talent and resources I'd love to do. The most I can do really is play a few of the songs on guitar and even then I'm very sketchy.

PartyHard
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PartyHard » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:32 am

I think keeping the Shinji=Pink theme to a maximum is a good idea, but putting Gendo as the main in the fascist parts is fine too. About the 'Mother' song, I like both JC's duet and your concept.

btw you might get some ideas from this.
<FraX> Yeah.
<Kederaji> The bastard.
<FraX> Was he right?

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:39 am

Interesting you should mention that website, PartyHard. I am actually a very good friend of Bret Urick's (the guy who wrote the analysis) and a frequent correspondent to his site. As a matter of fact, I am the one who recommended Neon Genesis Evangelion to him in the first place, and I also mentioned that the depiction of Pink's wife on the gatefold sleeve bears a frightening resemblance to a Japanese ghost called rokurokubi (they're those things with really long necks). As a matter of fact, that could also be Asuka's true form, when she's not looking like Catherine Tate. :ting:

Still, I toyed with your idea about Shinji doing the fascist stuff, but it ultimately didn't work--I like the idea that he's more of an "innocent bystander" here, just piloting his war machine under his father's orders and watching the horrors going on around him, until he realizes that he's lived his life all wrong and puts himself on trial.

By the way, I'm also thinking of using clips from anime other than EVA for this project--most notably, clips from "MAPS" alongside "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2" (specifically the "bunny-blender" thing). I suppose I'll have to go to even greater lengths, though, to prove just how sick my ideas can be, and how well I can make links between the two works. As far as I've gathered, there's a little bit of Pink in all of the characters, and if I just focus on Shinji alone, I won't have enough material for the full show.

Now to get in contact with someone at ACen about the whole thing. If they're planning on getting Mr. Hideaki Anno as a special guest of honor for 2015, this'll be one hell of a shock...

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:45 pm

hey wait, I had a thread about all this somewhere
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:52 pm

Sharaz Destler wrote:For "COMFORTABLY NUMB"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgByv7Qs8Kc

all you ever need to know about pink floyd and NGE.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

PartyHard
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PartyHard » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:06 am

^ This. Best editing and sync job I've seen so far.

About finding copies of the films, D&R and EoE and info about the first Rebuild DVD.
<FraX> Yeah.
<Kederaji> The bastard.
<FraX> Was he right?

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:34 pm

I'm afraid, PartyHard, that I just don't have that kind of money at this moment. On that note, why are those two so rare?

RE: JCMoorehead

I see you're flying the colors again. That avatar actually inspired me to do a parody of Pink Floyd's crossed hammer insignia with the NERV elements within it. Here, I'll throw it on for you real quick:

[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=169&i=pfproject01fy5.jpg]Image[/URL]

Now, when I finished that, I noticed that one of the hammers is slightly longer than the other. Gives it a kind of "sinister cross" (i.e. the Christian cross but slightly tilted 25-30 degrees to the left), don't you think?

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:17 am

Updates: For the end of the show, I'm considering using Roger Waters' "Hello (I Love You)" from The Last Mimzy in place of "Outside the Wall".

I'll have to find a recording of Peggy Lee's "Fly Me To The Moon", too.

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:23 pm

And now for THE SCRIPT, whilst I've still got the ideas in my head.
-----------------------------------------------------------
OPENING (POSSIBLY A FILMED LIVE-ACTION SEGMENT)

SCENE: Shinji is in the Apartment. The TV is blaring, with bright colors--he's probably watching a "normal" giant robot anime. But he's not really paying attention. He's got his earplugs in, and he's listening to Peggy Lee singing "Fly Me To The Moon" on his SDAT.

CUT TO: Misato is trying to open the door. It's been a hard day at work and she wants to relax. Exasperated, she bangs on the door, calling for Shinji to let her in, but he's not listening. Then she remembers the key-card. She digs through her purse, finding the card. She opens the door...

and we FADE to white as the first chords of "In The Flesh?" begin.

IN THE FLESH?
SINGER: Adam (the Angel of Music)
AMV: We could possibly have clips from the Title Sequence, and something to suggest life before Second Impact/the Katsuragi Expedition.

Second Impact occurs with the "airplane" sound effect. We CUT to the image of a crying baby (Shinji, possibly in Ep. 20, DC).

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:26 pm

THE THIN ICE:

Here we have Yui and Gendo addressing the newborn Shinji. We see a different side to the latter than what comes later on: here, he's a far cry from the Schoolmaster/Dark Lord image to come. While Yui comforts and soothes the baby with all the good things he can look forward to in life, Gendo's message is quite different: "If you should go skating/On the thin ice of modern life..."

At the guitar solo, Yui is lost to Unit 01, and all hell breaks loose. The lad's problems have only begun, problems which he vocalizes in:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL, PART ONE

LYRIC CHANGE: Every instance of "Daddy" in the lyrics gets changed to "Father": "Father, what'd'ya leave behind for me?!"

AMV: A lot of those "abandonment" shots used in the second half of the series, and we can possibly make use of the "playground" sequences. The image of the little boy crying fades into the Shinji of 15 years later, witnessing Sachiel's attack.
--------------------------------------------
THE HAPPIEST DAYS OF OUR LIVES/THE SECOND BRICK

This should really begin with the first 5-10 minutes of the very first episode, so that we can get a sense of "okay, now we're really 'here'

As Sachiel attacks, the helicopters charge in. Shinji takes one look at the big meanie, and hallucinates Gendo's face on it. It screeches: "AH! YES, YOU! STAND...STILL, LADDIE!" as the music begins.

AMV 1: Shinji reflects on his tormentors, and takes quiet comfort in the fact that his father is tortured by the ghost of his wife as Unit 00 attacks the man in time with the backing vocals, and cutting in shots of her headstone in between.

SFX: A shot of the Second Impact Textbook, as a hand pulls out a brush and a bottle of red ink, writing "BLOODY LIES" in katakana.

AMV 2: "The Second Brick" is the EVAs' theme: "We don't need no thought control". We witness them going berserk with David Gilmour's part. The Rei clones feature on the choir's part, and, as the choir part ends, we witness as they dissolve.

On the guitar solo, I want to see the battle sequences edited in as triumphant and carefree a manner as possible, so that we can get this idea that the "piloting giant robots and beating the monsters" thing is a great, heroic ideal, only to see that totally destroyed by "Waiting for the Worms".
Last edited by Sharaz Destler on Thu May 14, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fan Works”