What made you a fan of Eva?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Evangelion217
Lilith

What made you a fan of Eva?

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion217 » Mon May 26, 2008 9:54 am

Hello! I'm new here and this is basically my first post. I'v been reading a lot of threads of here, and I really love the discussions. My good friend Eva Yojimbo introduced me to "Evangelion", and to this website. It's his(or her) fault for creating a new addiction for me. I love this anime, and I find it to be the greatest achievement in both art, and literature(forget cinema). So I just wanted to express my views, and my love for this anime. And I was hoping to know if anybody had the same experience. :grin:

Here's my mini-review.

I first started watching this series back in January. When I got done with it, I was completely blown away. My first viewing was a VERY emotional experience for me. While the following viewings have been a more intellectual experience. I try to piece together the puzzle, and find different things that I never saw before. "Evangelion" can be interpreted in so many ways, and there is so much to explore. It's so massive, that it needed to have another series that promises to be great. And it also needed a manga to show different sides of the characters, and different stories.

I loved all of the characters. I got to know, and learn all aspects of them. The show gives you a very intimate look into who they are as people. Their not just cartoon drawings, nor do they have cardboard personalities. They are vibrant, and full of life. They have many layers, and emotional complexities. And what makes them so realistic, is that they are walking contradictions. Every person on this planet is a walking contradiction of some sorts. We want to get close to someone, but we don't want to get close to someone. We want to love somebody, but we don't want to love somebody. Because of our fear of being hurt. Everybody is scared of being vulnerable with someone.

I was able to relate to all of the characters insecurities. And I could definitly relate to their loneliness. It's that empty void that you feel within your heart, and you wish somebody could see it. I don't feel that void as much as I use to. But it's still there, and it's probably going to be there for awhile. I also wanted to mention that I felt really bad for most of the characters. Many animes have made me feel for the characters that they present, but not like this. I felt complete and utter sadness for nearly all of the characters. I was almost brought to tears. Infact, I was brought to tears towards the last episode. I don't know if it was tears of joy, or tears of sadness. But the "congratulations" scene hit me very hard. Infact, that whole episode hit me hard, because it gave me a lot of insight to myself. All of Anno's feelings about life, is exactly how I feel. It's like he was expressing my feelings. I couldn't beleive it, but they were right there.

Now the thing that I loved the most about this series, is how it takes it's conventional premise, and turns it upside down. It starts out like any other mecha anime that I'v seen, but it ends up like nothing else before. The first 10 episodes are pretty up-lifting, and almost predictable in some ways. I was really enjoying it, but didn't see anything special. The only thing that made my jaw drop, was the animation, and the visuals. Infact, the fourth episode is what made me fall in love with the series(Hedgehogs Dilemna). For the very reasons that Eva Yojimbo pointed out on another website. It had the most perfect character development that I have ever seen in my life. Shinji doesn't have a lot of dialogue during that episode, but you get to know everything about him. Anno uses the voice overs, and the images to develop Shinji throughout that entire episode. You got to see, and understand his loneliness. Now after this episode, the show gets back into it's conventional style. But after episode 10, everything breaks down. It becomes an allegory(or metaphor) for the downward spiral of depression. All of the stable relationships/friendships begin to faulter. The main characters start to have mental breakdowns, and descent into an awful state of depression. Which mostly have to do with the unresolved sexual tensions that grow between them. Injuries, deaths, and defeats also cause blows to their psyche. And I'v never seen anything like it. Infact, there hasn't been anything like it.

Now this series is not complete without "End Of Evangelion." Which is an even more powerful ending to the series. It gives us a lot of hope towards the end. But it's also very sad, and painful to watch. It's one of the most brutal, and violent films ever created. And the emotions that it invoke within me, was almost too much to bear. It has a happy, and sad ending. You get the sense that life is hard. It's so hard that you just want to wither away. That you just want to curl up, and create a shell for yourself, so nobody could see, touch, or hurt you. But there is also that glimpse of hope. That humanity will learn to love, and accept one another. That we will be able to comfort each other, and be there for one another. This glimpse of hope for humanity, is shown when Asuka caresses Shinji's cheek. That is one of the most beautiful moments in cinematic history, and that entire scene will be debated for years.

I'v been a fan for four months, and I know so much about this franchise, that I think my head will explode oneday(lol). I love it. I love the characters, the emotional complexites of the characters, the visuals, the dialogue, the philosophy, the themes, and it's powerful message of hope.

P.S: I think I'm one of the few fans who loves both endings. :boingy:
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

"Komm Susser Todd" is the most up-lifting song about depression"- Evangelion217

It's stange that "Evangelion" became such a hit. All the characters are so sick!- Hideaki Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What made you a fan of Eva?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon May 26, 2008 10:10 am

Evangelion217 wrote:The show gives you a very intimate look into who they are as people. ... I was able to relate to all of the characters insecurities. And I could definitely relate to their loneliness.

I would go as far as to say that whether you relate to the character like this or not is what determines whether you are a fan of the show or not.

Evangelion217 wrote:"End Of Evangelion." ... it's also very sad, and painful to watch. It's one of the most brutal, and violent films ever created. And the emotions that it invoke within me, was almost too much to bear.

Very true. One of the most harrowing pieces of cinema I've sat through. Part of the reason I don't want to rewatch it is that either it will hurt as bad again -- or, worse, I'll've become inured to it and not feel the same impact.

Evangelion217 wrote:It has a happy, and sad ending.

:whistle:

Evangelion217 wrote:I've been a fan for four months, and I know so much about this franchise

This is the point at which it usually erupts in the form of fanfics...

Evangelion217 wrote:P.S: I think I'm one of the few fans who loves both endings. :boingy:

I'm not sure that "love" is the right word, but they are both appropriate endings given the way the tale is told.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Mon May 26, 2008 10:54 am

I liked the whole surreal vibe, Anno's visual style, and the open-ended, cryptic nature of the story. It's like a puzzle with multiple solutions.

Evangelion217
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion217 » Mon May 26, 2008 10:55 am

Thank you for posting. :)

I would go as far as to say that whether you relate to the character like this or not is what determines whether you are a fan of the show or not.

That's probably true. But there are a lot of people who dislike Shinji, and still manage to enjoy the series. Although, they probably don't enjoy it as much as I do. People will always see things differently.

It's stange that "Evangelion" became such a hit. All the characters are so sick!- Hideaki Anno

Squirrel Ninja
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Squirrel Ninja » Mon May 26, 2008 10:56 am

I would guess almost all the people who really got into the show had a very similar experience. You don't decide to be a fan of this show, something about it grabs at you and refuses to let go. As you said it's a very emotional experience and all the characters are deep and relateable, which as Tines said makes the show. I also though both show endings were great, but there best taken in conjunction with each other, so it's hard to distinguish too much. When I finished watching the ending of the series I was blown away, literally writhing as the story drew to it's conclusion. Then I watched EoE and it was hard to digest just after seeing the first ending, it really sort of hammered everything home. The second time I watched shortly there after, I remember crying through parts of it. Like Tines, I've been worried after that, that rewatching the series would diminish some of the emotional impact. I wanted it to hurt just as much every time. In the times I've rewatched since it's hard to say what fells like, perhaps the impact is somewhat softened, but something about the show is always intact, it's still perfection once the beach cuts to black.

Evangelion217
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion217 » Mon May 26, 2008 10:57 am

chee wrote:I liked the whole surreal vibe, Anno's visual style, and the open-ended, cryptic nature of the story. It's like a puzzle with multiple solutions.

:thumbsup:

Very true. And like most great art, it's REALLY open for interpretations. Almost every one of them are valid. Although some interpretations make more sense then others, and seem to support what is going on during the series/film. It's a true puzzle in every sense of the word, and it's fun to put the pieces together. Atleast in my opinion.

majlund
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby majlund » Mon May 26, 2008 11:13 am

There are people on the forums who are much better than me at analysing and providing insight into Eva, so I'll leave the fancy words to them.
But to answer your question - The show grabbed my heart and held it in a vice.
Si vis Pacem para Bellum

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon May 26, 2008 11:46 am

Mr. Tines wrote:
Evangelion217 wrote:The show gives you a very intimate look into who they are as people. ... I was able to relate to all of the characters insecurities. And I could definitely relate to their loneliness.

"If a person who can already live and communicate normally watches it, they won't learn anything."

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon May 26, 2008 11:47 am

Nice to see you here (finally) mj, and a great first post I must say! I think by now you know inside and out what all I love about NGE and what attracted me to it from the beginning, so I'll spare you the epic. But you seemed to hit all the main points that hooked me and have kept me hooked more so than anything else I've ever experienced.

I'm a 'he' btw (haven't you ever checked my IMDb profile?)
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Kurochi
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kurochi » Mon May 26, 2008 12:15 pm

I dunno, I guess what got me hooked originally (I saw one episode when I was younger than I currently am) was the giant robots, although after I've seen the entire show I can honestly say that I was a fool to be hooked only for the giant robots. I've only recently watched the entire series, and a friend of mine actually told me that he though Evangelion sucked, so I never truly ended up watching all of it until recently. I had only seen episodes 9 and 10 (Ironically enough, those are two of my favorite episodes, with 25 and AIR(if AIR counts) being slightly more my favorite.) so I didn't know much about the story or how it was deep. After I started watching for a while I really started to connect with the characters. I see a lot of myself in Shinji (Sad, I know, but whatever) and I see part of myself in all the characters, which, like tines said, makes the show a good one. It makes you a fan.

What really hit me in the end was when Shinji went insane in episodes 16-17, or when he started going insane. It really started to get interesting after that and I couldn't stop. I guess I agree with tines and saying that I can't really rewatch EoE, because I don't know how it will impact me again, and I don't want to diminish the impact.
Who needs roads when we've got wings?
Who needs wings when we've got minds?
Who needs minds when we've got sins?

Squirrel Ninja
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Squirrel Ninja » Mon May 26, 2008 12:25 pm

Xard wrote:
"If a person who can already live and communicate normally watches it, they won't learn anything."

If that's true, than by that standard, I would say most people can't live and communicate normally.

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Mon May 26, 2008 1:12 pm

Eva made me a fan of Anime.

Rei Ayanami made me a fan of Eva
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon May 26, 2008 1:34 pm

Squirrel Ninja wrote:
Xard wrote:

If that's true, than by that standard, I would say most people can't live and communicate normally.

I say nothing on truth value of the quote. They are direct words from Tsurumaki which I felt fitted perfectly in what Tines said.
Last edited by Xard on Mon May 26, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evangelion217
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion217 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:09 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Nice to see you here (finally) mj, and a great first post I must say! I think by now you know inside and out what all I love about NGE and what attracted me to it from the beginning, so I'll spare you the epic. But you seemed to hit all the main points that hooked me and have kept me hooked more so than anything else I've ever experienced

Yes. It feels good to post on a site, and express my feelings with other fans. And you're analyses of the series/film is still a work of brilliance that I may never touch in my lifetime.

I'm a 'he' btw (haven't you ever checked my IMDb profile?)

Sorry my bad! :)
Last edited by Evangelion217 on Mon May 26, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evangelion217
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion217 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:16 pm

Dartz wrote:Eva made me a fan of Anime

I'v always been a fan of anime, before I saw "Eva." But then I went through a period in my life, where I started to get tried of anime, and didn't want anything to do with it. "Evangelion" brought me back into that world, and I love anime all over again. Infact, I started seeing other great animes like "Elfen Lied", and "Serial Experiments Lain." Great stuff.

Rei Ayanami made me a fan of Eva

She's my favorite character. Yes, I know it's a cliche to love the legendary Rei Ayanami. But I can't help it. :grin:

Tetsu Aero
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tetsu Aero » Mon May 26, 2008 3:28 pm

The EVA's was the main thing that got me interested because of their awesome design. Plus i do love the psychological part because Anno have it nailed pretty good, and having a character like Kaworu really spiced it up x3

Evangelion is an artistic masterpiece, and the Rebuild series keeps building on it. ^^

Wevangeliwon
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Wevangeliwon » Mon May 26, 2008 4:29 pm

Way back in June last year, after much procrastination, I finally decided to watch Evangelion. What I experienced was a flood of emotion and frankly, the writing is a fantastic. Such a great anime series that I love for several reasons.

There is so much praise I can give to EVA, but you've all covered that. I'll put it this way: when I saw Evangelion, it grabbed me and never let go (couldn't resist majlund).

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon May 26, 2008 5:43 pm

I LEIKED IT CUZ IT HAVE BIG ROBOTS
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Kurochi
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kurochi » Mon May 26, 2008 5:44 pm

Wevangeliwon wrote:when I saw Evangelion, it grabbed me and never let go
This is exactly what happened to me, and I think that's what happens to most if not all of the Eva fans. Eva was an emotional roller coaster of awesome.
Who needs roads when we've got wings?
Who needs wings when we've got minds?
Who needs minds when we've got sins?

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Mon May 26, 2008 6:26 pm

Tvtropes.org...

Then I read some fanfics.

*sigh*.
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”