Square peg - fitting EoE between ep. 24 & 25

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Mon May 19, 2008 9:44 am

NAveryW wrote:
Zuggy wrote:E.O.E. sucks.
Wait, do you actually feel that way? I've always kind of felt like the series itself is almost just build-up to EoE (not knocking the series, but I consider EoE to have elevated itself past anything that was on the rest of the show).

I AGREE
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 21, 2008 12:46 pm

@ AEF: I thought it was 14 days to a month? And can somebody please remind me where the "14 days" part comes from?

NAW-kun wrote:You may want to look at this thread if you haven't yet.

:shinji_blush: NAW-kun, you flatter me. :rei_blush:

Anyway.... *ahem* I don't think I need to give my thoughts on this topic yet again. ;) Essentially, MD-sama's viewpoint, but going one step further(?) and thinking EoTV is for the most part what's mentally going on with the characters while EoE is the (meta)physical state they're in. I really don't see anything wrong with this particular viewpoint, and do think it can work considering how trippy 25/26 as a whole is (One example: Though I mentioned this somewhere before, there's the possibility of the Ritsuko/Misato "Instrumentality is bad but you've been wanting this too, mmkay?" argument simply being a part of Instrumentality or some previously unseen discussion in Reality between the two).

With either ending sucking: I like both equally as well as think one ending can't be understood without the other. But, some people are going to like EoTV better, others prefer EoE, and still others don't like either ending which is okay. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion after all.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Wed May 21, 2008 1:25 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:@ AEF: I thought it was 14 days to a month? And can somebody please remind me where the "14 days" part comes from?

14 days to 8 months. 14 days from crescent Moon to full Moon.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 21, 2008 2:02 pm

Ah, I see.

Thanks. ^_^
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Evangelion217
Lilith

Re: Square peg - fitting EoE between ep. 24 & 25

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion217 » Mon May 26, 2008 11:47 am

The relieved, cured happy-Shinji ending, is I believe the kind of ending Anno originally & still wanted before the

I think "End Of Evangelion" is exactly what Anno wanted from the beginning. But budget cuts, and other things kept it from happening. So the series ending came out of instinct, and everything turned out fine in my opinion. I feel that a lot of fans didn't like the series ending, because they weren't expecting it. I loved it, because it proved that "NGE" is the greatest psychological series of all time. The last two episodes completely take place withing the characters minds, and with that, the barriers between them and the viewer is broken down, and you really get to know who they truly are. I loved it, but it wasn't as satisfying like "End Of Evangelion." Infact, the reason that I prefer "EoE", is because it found a balance between the action, and the psychological aspects of the characters. And it was very fulfilling experience for me. Easily one of the greatest endings, to any series, in any genre. :)
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

"Komm Susser Todd" is the most up-lifting song about depression"- Evangelion217

It's stange that "Evangelion" became such a hit. All the characters are so sick!- Hideaki Anno

Kurochi
Embryo

Re: Square peg - fitting EoE between ep. 24 & 25

•      
  •      

Postby Kurochi » Mon May 26, 2008 12:19 pm

I think "End Of Evangelion" is exactly what Anno wanted from the beginning. But budget cuts, and other things kept it from happening. So the series ending came out of instinct, and everything turned out fine in my opinion. I feel that a lot of fans didn't like the series ending, because they weren't expecting it. I loved it, because it proved that "NGE" is the greatest psychological series of all time. The last two episodes completely take place withing the characters minds, and with that, the barriers between them and the viewer is broken down, and you really get to know who they truly are. I loved it, but it wasn't as satisfying like "End Of Evangelion." Infact, the reason that I prefer "EoE", is because it found a balance between the action, and the psychological aspects of the characters. And it was very fulfilling experience for me. Easily one of the greatest endings, to any series, in any genre. :)

QFT

I'm glad Anno ended up making both endings, because they tie together to make the greatest ending I or anyone else could think of. Sure some more closure would be nice, but that ruins the whole point of eva.
Who needs roads when we've got wings?
Who needs wings when we've got minds?
Who needs minds when we've got sins?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”