Ign feature

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Ign feature

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Sat May 24, 2008 4:11 am

Ign have just done a short feature on what the Rebuild movies need to become an industry staple or something like that:
http://uk.anime.ign.com/articles/876/876456p1.html

Just thought you might be interested.
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 24, 2008 4:28 am

ZOMG their web design sucks.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat May 24, 2008 4:57 am

For the most part, scenes are pretty much the same as they were in the original series but with better animation and better pacing.

but with better animation and better pacing.

and better pacing.

better pacing

WAT

and finally quiet the long debates about its quality.

What debates? EVA brought new peaks to storytelling (starting from breaking cliches to camerawork) and far more indepth- characters than there had ever been in anime.

Of course it is completely possible to dislike NGE. But to deny its objective merits and qualities in ridiculous. Especially End of Evangelion features many scenes that are handled more skillfully in every aspect than nearly all rest of anime.

I just watched Haibane Renmei and I absolutely loved it. In middle episodes I saw a lot of cutting and camerawork which were nigh non-existent before Evangelion. I watched Paranoia Agent some time ago. Before Eva such show would've been impossible to make. And "pillow shots" weren't even nearly as often seen before Eva than after it.

Comparison between Evan and top-notch anime series of early 90's (such as Nadia) is even more crushing

2.) Show us a more likable Shinji.

One of the most common complaints about the Evangelion series and its spinoffs was the protagonist, Shinji Ikari. It's difficult to find another franchise that has been as successful with such a disliked main character. He's often described as whiney, emo, and sometimes just plain creepy (a certain scene involving Asuka's near naked body comes to mind).

This is ironic since the only thing Shinji really wanted in the series was to be liked. He wanted the love and attention he never got from his father after his mother died. But, instead of empathizing with him, many viewers hated him for his perceived weaknesses, lack of maturity, and lack of growth.

Shinji's struggles to deal with the immense pressure of fighting to save the world understandably test his fragile 14-year old mind, and the series does a superb job of characterizing his problems with self-esteem, affection, and fear. But we rarely see him rise above those issues. It's hard to root for a guy that doesn't grow and learn to overcome his obstacles. Just when it looks like Shinji might step up and surpass his weaknesses, he falls right back into disappointing and dysfunctional behavior.

However, if the franchise is going to advance, Shinji has to show some sort of growth, similar to the healing and change in Anno's own life. He's married now (to a manga writer), his Evangelion series has won many awards and praise, and his work on the sugary Cutie Honey anime and live action movie certainly indicates that he's a much happier man that is beating his depression and loneliness and growing through the experience. We hope that Shinji's new development in Rebuild of Evangelion shows a similar kind of maturation.

Uuhhhh... Episode 26 everyone? As dark as NGE it is about overcoming and defeating depression too, even from the very beginning. Both EoTV and EoE refrain this same message though EoE does it with more cynicism.

3.) Give us a more coherent storyline.

So far, Rebuild of Evangelion hasn't done anything to confuse the fans any more than the original storyline did. It would be an understatement to say that Evangelion's overall storyline requires a lot of attention. Sure, it started out simple enough, but the later episodes became more and more steeped in philosophy, psychology and Christian mythos, culminating in endings that left many people thoroughly confused and/or disappointed (more on the endings later). Some called the story "deep", and said that anyone that couldn't fill in the plot holes was simply not smart enough or not paying attention. Others called it pretentious; a lackluster attempt to be mysterious and interesting by throwing around psychobabble and rough understanding of Western religion.

It's the seemingly purposeful plot holes that help to give Evangelion such longevity and popularity. There are so many unanswered questions at the end of the series that anyone can speculate and interpret the storyline in any number of ways that fit in with their own philosophy. The fans, in a way, have written their own versions of the story to fill in the blanks, and so the series becomes more personal to them. But the flip side of this phenomenon is that there is no cohesion to the story, and no theme that can bind the fans together and provide a clear point of focus and critique.

Evangelion succeeded at forcing people to be active viewers instead of passive watchers, but a series can be thought provoking and meaningful without being confusing and overly complicated.

When asked why he chose the name "Evangelion", Anno once replied: "It comes from a Christian word meaning 'Gospel' and it's supposed to bring blessings. It has some Greek roots. I chose the name because it sounds complicated."

So we have a creator whose work reflects his own personal struggles, and his desire to choose things simply because they are complicated. This information sheds a lot of light on how the themes of Evangelion came to be. With a wiser, more mature Anno at the helm, we hope to see a more complete and masterful story that will finally reveal the true essence of the franchise.

Jesus fucking christ, I was 15 when I first saw the series. It took 3 viewings of final two episodes untill I "got it". I was 15

Besides, it wasn't chosen because it was complicated, it was because it sounded cool

"Some called the story "deep", and said that anyone that couldn't fill in the plot holes was simply not smart enough or not paying attention. Others called it pretentious; a lackluster attempt to be mysterious and interesting by throwing around psychobabble and rough understanding of Western religion."

lol

Superficial aspect of show is pretentious =/= show's pretentious and has no deeper message

4.) Deliver a good ending!

Aww NOT AGAIN

"Are open-ended conclusions bad? Not necessarily. But when great chunks of the storyline go unexplained, it's inevitable that many viewers will be disappointed. And they have every right to be; it's not unreasonable to expect a complete story from beginning to end."

What "great chunks"? All is explained in End of Evangelion apart from few plotholes.

Besides, Anno couldn't care less about the storyline from the beginning. It was just excuse for him to exorcise his own demons. Narrative didn't mean shit for him in the endgame as eps 25 & 26 showcases

Sure, from traditional viewpoint it unexcusable. But there's reason why NGE is basically deconstruction of anime

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Sat May 24, 2008 6:45 am

Indigo Arcangel wrote: http://uk.anime.ign.com/articles/876/876456p1.html

rofl

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Sat May 24, 2008 8:38 am

Wow. People are really laying into this article. I wish I'd read it before posting.

I wil agree with most of XARD'S points tho'. Some of the stuff IGN has done in this article is either pure dumbassery, or an attempt to voice the opinions of the general anime-viewing community.

I will somewhat agree with some of their p[oints on Shinji's character - but only just. A slightly more confidant Shinji would be nice (maybe a mix of both the anime and manga versions) but not by too much, otherwise it would completely take away from the whole point of Shinji's Character.

"Quote:
For the most part, scenes are pretty much the same as they were in the original series but with better animation and better pacing.

Quote:
but with better animation and better pacing.

Quote:
and better pacing.

Quote:
better pacing

WAT "

QFT
Normality is overrated

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Sat May 24, 2008 8:55 am

Guys it's pretty common knowledge that IGN is a terrible website run by terrible people. Bring them up on any gaming forum and expect a long rant.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat May 24, 2008 9:55 am

true dat

not as bad as Gamesopt though :lol:

But that pacing comment was ludicrious

First half of Eva 1.0 is HORRIBLY paced. That's pretty much my only criticism of the movie but if I exclude my fanboy status it is bad enough to drop it to three and half stars out of five

terminus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby terminus » Sat May 24, 2008 2:32 pm

however I tottaly agree with IGN on
"Are open-ended conclusions bad? Not necessarily. But when great chunks of the storyline go unexplained, it's inevitable that many viewers will be disappointed. And they have every right to be; it's not unreasonable to expect a complete story from beginning to end. The "you figure it out" ending is a tired concept at best; at worst, it's a cop out. And it's also a surefire way to get people to start throwing around that "pretentious" word that critics have slung around this franchise like the proverbial albatross.

The final installment of Rebuild of Evangelion must deliver a great ending."

I want more closure!

Kurochi
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kurochi » Sat May 24, 2008 2:48 pm

IGN is retarded 99% of the time and you shouldn't pay attention to them.

But, I do agree with some parts.
Who needs roads when we've got wings?
Who needs wings when we've got minds?
Who needs minds when we've got sins?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat May 24, 2008 3:25 pm

terminus wrote:however I tottaly agree with IGN on
"Are open-ended conclusions bad? Not necessarily. But when great chunks of the storyline go unexplained, it's inevitable that many viewers will be disappointed. And they have every right to be; it's not unreasonable to expect a complete story from beginning to end. The "you figure it out" ending is a tired concept at best; at worst, it's a cop out. And it's also a surefire way to get people to start throwing around that "pretentious" word that critics have slung around this franchise like the proverbial albatross.

The final installment of Rebuild of Evangelion must deliver a great ending."

I want more closure!

How could you possibly make better ending than One More Final?

Yes, that was a challenge

PartyHard
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PartyHard » Sat May 24, 2008 4:19 pm

No need to add anything, Xard hit the nail on the head.
* Kederaji is now officially offended by the Red Cross.
<FraX> How much blood did they want today?
<Kederaji> Well, you know that questionnaire they ask you before they poke you with the needle?
<FraX> Yeah.
<Kederaji> Well, the guy took a look at me and started marking all the sex related questions as "No".
<Kederaji> Didn't even bother to ask me, just marked them "No."
<Kederaji> The bastard.
<FraX> Was he right?
<Kederaji> He was, but that's not the point!

Wevangeliwon
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Wevangeliwon » Sat May 24, 2008 5:56 pm

Xard wrote:Image

I think this picture can summarize the article. Although I do agree with the milking Eva for all its worth, everything they have either said is obvious or just plain stupid (2 and 3).

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat May 24, 2008 6:17 pm

A "happy" Shinji is not wanted or needed, but he doesn't have to be eternally pathetic either.

Okay they really don't get it. >_<

Anyway, I also agree with the milking bit (lol Gainax) but that's it. For instance, it took me only viewing EoTV and EoE back to back to "get" what happened even though I was still somewhat confused.

[Another facepalm.jpg]
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Sat May 24, 2008 9:25 pm

FOr the record happy endings are more of a western phenomenon. Evangelion is primarily Japanese.

IGN is full of idiots.
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat May 24, 2008 11:02 pm

IGN's opinion of what would make Rebuild good is different than all of yours. Therefore, they must be wrong, and complete idiots.

Right?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sat May 24, 2008 11:28 pm

I often have similar thoughts about you Brik.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Sun May 25, 2008 1:30 am

I never knew so many people hated IGN.

@BrikHaus - I agree with you, it's their OPINION. Whether you like it or not people. You don't really have the right to judge them unless they said something like 2 + 2 = Poo. Yeah, I do think some of the stuff they said is shallow and even just plain dumb, but by the way they're criticized, you'd think they just gang raped your mothers.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Sun May 25, 2008 2:40 am

Very good use of sarcasm, Brik.

I see what other people are getting at with some of the 'less fine points' of this articles, but sometimes your being a bit closed minded, eg, @SSD, I thought that the comment you quoted on their thoughts on Shinji was very justified.

I'm just saying that if we routinely react so strongly to such articles, were going to be labeled a ravid pack of fanboys.
Normality is overrated

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun May 25, 2008 3:25 am

And fangirls. ;)

Of course everybody's going to have own opinion, it just seems like they're um...off, with some of their viewpoints? With the Shinji quote for instance: While he's not meant to be "eternally pathetic", he IS a character that's hated because of his personality even though Shinji doesn't want that sort of thing.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Sun May 25, 2008 3:42 am

This whole thread made me lol. I'd forgotten how bitchy eva fans can be.

MOAR!
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”