Dance Dance Revolution

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

[Video Games] Dance Dance Revolution

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:21 am

Some know me as an egotistical Eva geek. Others know me as a guy who's known to break out a dance pad and stomp on arrows. I was even a founder member of UMBC's DDR Club. I've been playing DDR for four years now and I range between 7 and 9 feet on Heavy. I have 1st US Mix, Konamix, Max, Max 2, and recently got Extreme for Christmas. Favorite tracks include Jana Jana, AM3P, Silent Hill Challenge, Tsuguru, Dream a Dream, and Sandstorm.

Anybody else out there stomp on arrows for fun?
Last edited by The Eva Monkey on Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:01 am

I sure do, but on a keyboard. :P

I'm a StepMania geek, but I don't have the interest or money to invest in a PS control adapter and a pad. I'm not that skilled, either, but I can get a decent score on a 10 if I try hard enough... Most of the time I play 8-9, though.
Asuka > Rei

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:31 am

Ryo wrote:I sure do, but on a keyboard.

Same here (EDIT: here: keyboard of a PC (Not PhilipCult! :D)). I have wooden legs, so guess why I don't dance too often... :wink: And to add to this, I'm a tipical hermit, guess why... :wink: Whoops! This is not obvious... or maybe it is? *Scrathes his head with his long, red tail.* :wink: :twisted:
Last edited by Faußtin on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
:twisted: !!!HELL IS FUN!!! :twisted:

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:08 am

I can kind of understand why people play on keyboards. I play on the controller when I just need a fix or want to unlock some songs, but I still prefer playing on a pad. I don't understand the people who play exclusively on a keyboard.

For you Stepmania geeks, do you play Stepmania ONLINE?

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:44 pm

When I was babysitting not too long ago, the girl I was watching showed me Flash Flash Revolution, and I just couldn't get into it. The whole point of DDR is to dance. Finger-dancing is just... boring.

But yeah, I loves me some DDR. I've been playing since at least 2001, and despite the fact that I don't have the game or any pads for it, I can do almost all songs in Heavy. Yay for taking advantage of my friends' games for 5 years. xD
Close your eyes and listen hard

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Titus » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:09 am

This is so sad
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey
"Titus I love you!" - Zugzwang
"TITUS + ADSL = Disaster" - Timesplitter 01

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:52 pm

Ayanami wrote:Finger-dancing is just... boring.

That depends on the difficulty. I can assure you that a 12+ song is just plain impossible to complete with a pad, and many of the songs I play are labeled "keyboard only" for a reason.
Asuka > Rei

Eternal Yamcha
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eternal Yamcha » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:12 am

I believe I started playing the game in 2000 or 2001. My peak came during 2003/2004 when I was beating several different Paranoia mixes on heavy, beating 8s and 9s and was working on getting Max Unlimited and Max 300 beaten on heavy... Though that wasn't going to happen.

I've all but quit the game though, my lack of stamina + having asthma sort of really sucks and makes it hard to play the game. Nowadays I play Dance Maniax, the one game that's slightly similar to Para Para whatever... The one with two sensors on top and two on bottom. Just the day before yesterday I beat 4.5 songs without missing a step, I had a 1400+ combo. I can beat most of the hardest songs on that game at 2.5 times speed... The last time I played it was the 8th time I have ever played the game... Didn't take me long to get great at it... Strange.

Bean Bandit
Lilith

ddr

•      
  •      

Postby Bean Bandit » Mon May 21, 2007 5:00 pm

woot! a ddr thread!

playing DDR takes up much of my time. Its a workout. I've been playing for a little less than a year on Ultramix 1 - 4, Extreme 1 -2, Konamix, and Supernova. I've learned valuable techniques from my sensei and can achieve mostly A's and sometimes AA's on Heavy and sometimes Oni. Ratings of 8 - 10 feet, usually. I'm in my school's DDR club, and when I transfer to my new school next year, I hope to get my own DDR club going. Kickass...

Favorite songs (music-wise and step-wise):
Waka Laka, GO!, Butterfly, Paranoia (all versions), Holic, Can't stop falling in love, B4U, Brilliant 2U, Matsuri Japan, Grandolin (I get A's on this Oni), A (actually the name of song), .59, and Dam Dariram.

Here's some impressive DDR videos you'll appreciate:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BRU5bPhuZcI
Waka Laka AAA (all perfects!)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Df6wMkZIKmM
Legend of Max AA. Its the hardest song in the game. Both guys are great but the guy on the left is ownage.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UEeJRiDJ69I
Some impressive double freestyling by the A-team. The song is Brilliant 2U.

On the topic of stepmania...
i enjoy the game a lot. Doesn't touch the real thing. But its pretty cool none the less. Great song selection. If this is any incentive to Eva fans, you can do about five different versions of Cruel Angel's Thesis. I can AAA it.

Woot!
What do you like to play? ...Pokemon! Pokemon?

Ya see, the kids, they listen to the rap, which gives them the brain damage. Ya see?

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Mon May 21, 2007 5:37 pm

Have you tried Mario DDR? Fucking sweet :D

I need to buy another one though... sucks when you have it memorized. Any others for Gamecube? I haven't seen many for GC...
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bean Bandit
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Bean Bandit » Mon May 21, 2007 6:28 pm

I've played Mario DDR before and its not bad. The visuals make me nostalgic, I'll give you that. The gameplay itself is far outdone by the real DDR games, tho.

And no, they haven't made any other DDR games for the gamecube. It's too bad, but the gamecube's become a floundering system. I own one, tho, and agree it would be cool for Konami to branch out a little. Thing is, i'd have to get a new set of Nintendo pads...

Ya see, the kids, they listen to the rap, which gives them the brain damage. Ya see?

Bean Bandit
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Bean Bandit » Mon May 21, 2007 6:31 pm

anyone got any opinions on ITG (In the Groove). It's like DDR, but at some parts you use your hands and stuff like that...not a bad song selection. I've been playing it recently and while I prefer traditional DDR, it's kinda cool.

Anyone play In the Groove?

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Sun May 04, 2008 12:56 am

Damn, no one's posted in this for awhile.

I just played DDR at my friend's house today. On a very good day, I can pass Fascination MAXX on challenge with the pad. (I almost died that day) Probably my favorite tough songs to play are Fascination MAXX and Paranoia Survivor. I sometimes pass Paranoia Survivor on heavy, which pisses me off since I always start off really well (full health bar) then die at the solid stream of eighth notes 2/3's in.

Any DDR gods here have tips for those of us who aren't that great? Maybe some technique and stamina hints?

Oh, and doubles is really fun too.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Sun May 04, 2008 1:16 am

Iron Rooster wrote:Damn, no one's posted in this for awhile.

I just played DDR at my friend's house today. On a very good day, I can pass Fascination MAXX on challenge with the pad. (I almost died that day) Probably my favorite tough songs to play are Fascination MAXX and Paranoia Survivor. I sometimes pass Paranoia Survivor on heavy, which pisses me off since I always start off really well (full health bar) then die at the solid stream of eighth notes 2/3's in.

Any DDR gods here have tips for those of us who aren't that great? Maybe some technique and stamina hints?

Oh, and doubles is really fun too.

Ah, i haven't seriously played in a good year and a half or so, but in my day i could hit most 9 footers. One of my friends is able to to do all songs on the highest difficulty level so i do have a few tips. Basically your goal is to use as little energy as possible, if you watch the best players you will notice they they barely move their legs, feet just switch without too much effort. Thats really the best way your going to save your energy.

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby zimlord » Sun May 04, 2008 2:49 am

Iron Rooster wrote:Any DDR gods here have tips for those of us who aren't that great? Maybe some technique and stamina hints?

sup. been whoring away at dancing games for a while now--maybe a little more than a year. i do tournaments, you know, all that jazz... many songs AAAed in extreme and supernova. also, i can pass 13 footers (i.e. uber rave, sphere, infernoplex, stunt flyin...all ITG customs btw) with mid 90%'s, which is probably the equivalent to some sort of AA in ddr. also have a few 14's passed...

what are you playing? from the songs you noted i'm guessing it's supernova? it sounds like you may still want to stick with ddr for the time being, get the max(x)es and the paranoias down pat. but when you're ready, step it up a notch with In the Groove (ITG). i mentioned it above, and it looks like someone mentioned it earlier in the thread. ITG is much more advanced than DDR. also, with fantastic timing, your accuracy will get much better. seriously, you'll be AAAing shit in no time.

as for stamina, just keep playing. heres a very good stamina guide by the legendary dukamok you might wanna look over. it has some very worthwhile tips.

PROTIP: don't play in hiking boots.

also, try not to just play at home on a foam pad or whatever you play on. check your local arcades for either ddr machines or itg machines, the latter being much more rare. it may also be a worthwhile investment to pick up a metal pad, like a cobalt flux, a ninja, or maybe a blue shark.

also,
if you haven't dled stepmania, i suggest you do so. really helps your reading and gets you more familiar with gimmicky charts like silikon or dancingbox.

so yeah, check that stuff out and just keep playing. :thumbsup:

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Sun May 04, 2008 1:00 pm

Hey thanks! I like playing doubles b/c it forces me to learn to alternate my feet better. I noticed some songs are damn near impossible if you don't constantly alternate feet in doubles. My college had a DDR Extreme (Official) machine but then the guy who owned it sold it a couple of months before I started! :dejected:

I tried ITG before. I noticed it had harder songs in general. The game seems to have been made by dedicated dance game fans who have mastered their skills. I have DDR Max 2, Extreme 1 and 2, and Supernova 1 and 2. My favorites are Extreme 2 and Supernova. Supernova 2 has the most ludicrous difficulty grading system. Paranoia Hades is a '9' on Heavy. I seriously think it's as hard as 10's in other games.

Probably my biggest problems with playing are stamina, fast crossovers, and reading extremely fast songs like Fascination MAXX.

I have worked on keeping my feet closer to the center so I don't move as much and as for stamina, I thinking losing some weight would help. I'm not huge but it's enough to hinder me.

And by the way, thanks! :thumbsup:
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby zimlord » Sun May 04, 2008 2:38 pm

Iron Rooster wrote:Supernova 2 has the most ludicrous difficulty grading system.

yeah, sn2's marvelous is actually harder to get than itg's fantastic, i think. it's konami's attempt to bring ITG players and Pump it Up players back to ddr. personally, i think it's just vexing since ddr was supposed to be easier than both games in the first place.

Iron Rooster wrote:fast crossovers

just play songs like 'rhythm and police,' 'candy,' and 'enter the dragon.' there are patterns that come up again and again in those songs. just watch for them, and after awhile you'll be sight-reading them pretty easily.

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Thu May 08, 2008 10:11 pm

Man, I haven't had ANY time at all lately to play DDR. Too much C++ Programming, Calc IV, Circuits, and Linear Systems crap to do. ;_;
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Thu May 08, 2008 11:10 pm

*sniff*

I miss teh Eva Monkey... :boohoo:
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby zimlord » Fri May 09, 2008 12:48 pm

Iron Rooster wrote:Man, I haven't had ANY time at all lately to play DDR. Too much C++ Programming, Calc IV, Circuits, and Linear Systems crap to do. ;_;

not even stepmania? you can play that during your c++ breaks.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”