Rebuild: Canon???

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:45 pm

Well if the makers of the original have decided to alter the actual facts and story line how can it not be cannon? It is their creation--they know what they intended and what they want the meaning and facts of the story to be--I am guessing what they say goes since it is all just their own creation anyway, right?
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:07 pm

From what I understand, Canon means that in this case, Rebuild, is in the same Continuity/universe as the original series/films.

If the Cyclical History theory(?) proves incorrect however, then Rebuild's in its own separate canon like the Manga, anime or the games (if those count for anything) are.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:17 pm

I see what you are saying, except I believe Anno stated that this is the story he wanted to tell 'originally' but for various reasons didn't/couldn't. If that is the case, whatever it relation to the first take I would think this telling would be elevated, but that is just my opinion.
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:18 pm

From what Anno-sensei has alluded to in interviews regarding Rebuild, it is a separate canon unto itself.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:22 pm

That's what I understand, too.

I guess the potential Cyclical History stuff is just meant to fuck with our heads then. (Yay, that's always fun. XD)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:39 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:From what Anno-sensei has alluded to in interviews regarding Rebuild, it is a separate canon unto itself.

Hmm, well if that is true than I was wrong--my recollection was that this was the story he always meant to tell, or something along those lines.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:46 pm

It still might be.

We just have to wait to find out.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:25 pm

bp32 wrote:--my recollection was that this was the story he always meant to tell, or something along those lines.

But if that's the case, Rebuild would replace the originals canon altogether (not add to it). And that's something I sincerely doubt Anno and Gainax are willing to do.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:59 am

TriLink12 wrote:
bp32 wrote:--my recollection was that this was the story he always meant to tell, or something along those lines.

But if that's the case, Rebuild would replace the originals canon altogether (not add to it). And that's something I sincerely doubt Anno and Gainax are willing to do.

It won't replace it, it's an alternate version. Same way EoE didn't replace EoTV, they are alternate versions that people enjoy equally.

Soljer13
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Soljer13 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:20 pm

Shiro wrote:It's all an elaborate plan to get the new generation snared. Anno needs the revenue, so he's getting new teens to like the series, and since Rebuild isn't gonna be just a retelling, they'll all go back and watch the old series, but since it isn't airing, they have to buy it. So they spend money. Then they buy EOE. Then they buy merchandise. Rinse, lather, repeat.

WINRAR is YOU!
PURGE! CLEANSE! KILL! FOR THE EMPEROR!

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:19 pm

TriLink wrote:

Nope, he said that he wanted to include some of the things he couldn't fit into a series, like the revamped Operation Yashima. But that doesn't mean that the actual story itself is different. Animation limitations and time constraints just made him cut some stuff. Just think: If he had done the Webuild Yashima in Ep6, then we'd have lost budget by 24 instead, and we'd not have even had Kaworu at all. /sarcasm.

Szmitten wrote:It won't replace it, it's an alternate version. Same way EoE didn't replace EoTV, they are alternate versions that people enjoy equally.

inB4SSDflaming

EoE and EoTV aren't necessarily alternate. Just different. Who's to say EoTV didn't take place in Shinji's head as well as everything else during 3I. It's a multi-leveled experience, so thousands of sequences could have been happening in his head at the same time. It's never stated that he actually accepts Instrumentality in EoTV, that's bullshit that the companion booklets that came with Renewal had.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:04 pm

I've brought Rebuild into Tier 4 in the Tiers of Canonicity, along with the Manga, and I gave Rebuild precedence over the Manga in case of any conflict between them on an issue that isn't present in the Anime. Also, in case of a conflict between the two that involves something touched upon but less emphasized in the Anime, whichever opinion would fit the established facts closer wins.

Flaky, I know, but I can't do much else about it.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:18 pm

For now, that works. BUT: If Webuild turns out to be an official continuation, (Sorry, Reichu) then that might have to be revised. We need a statement from Anno after all 4 are finished.

Phantom_Blitz
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Phantom_Blitz » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:27 pm

Has anyone considered that the canonicity with the original might be stated from the title itself. It is called "Rebuild" of Evangelion and by the End Of Evangelion everything was pretty much deconstructed.

Whenever we rebuild something we arent ever really able to create exactly what was the original creation.

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:04 pm

Sorry about delaying the DVD release, but I really must say that the idea of a "remake/sequel" isn't that farfetched, and has been done before (this author thinks of Gunstar Super Heroes).

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:24 am

Phantom_Blitz wrote:Has anyone considered that the canonicity with the original might be stated from the title itself. It is called "Rebuild" of Evangelion and by the End Of Evangelion everything was pretty much deconstructed.

Whenever we rebuild something we arent ever really able to create exactly what was the original creation.

never thought of rebuild as a literal "I'm doing Eva over again!"
however I thought Anno wrote a letter saying that he wanted to revist "Eva and do things he couldnt the first time through pr something to that affect
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:49 am

Shiro wrote:For now, that works. BUT: If Webuild turns out to be an official continuation, (Sorry, Reichu) then that might have to be revised. We need a statement from Anno after all 4 are finished.

Basically my thoughts on the matter, and hopefully it won't be something about morning sickness or some such. And as the cynical twit I am, I'd have to say that Shiro took the words right out of my mouth.

Shiro wrote:It's all an elaborate plan to get the new generation snared. Anno needs the revenue, so he's getting new teens to like the series, and since Rebuild isn't gonna be just a retelling, they'll all go back and watch the old series, but since it isn't airing, they have to buy it. So they spend money. Then they buy EOE. Then they buy merchandise. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Then again, he's human, and everyone loves money.

Cheers.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:28 am

Well, they say Rebuild is a 'retelling' of Eva, so a few discrepencies would appear ergo, not canon in the traditional sense, but a kind of in the middle ground between a 'true' canon and 'absolutely new storyline', unlesss there is an absolute proof that the world of Eva just goes round in circles like a cycle of karma (slight implication in the song, but no matter) and Rebuild is just the continuation like a few million years later, my conclusion would be- depends.
I feel old

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:09 am

All talk of THAT THEORY goes in this thread-
http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4369
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Fri May 02, 2008 9:05 am

I'm just saying that unless more implications come up, it is up to open debate.
I feel old

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”