REBUILD OF EVANGELION 01 DVD Release?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

tian2992
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tian2992 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:09 pm

Zuggy wrote:
kasuturo wrote:Ridiculously, the trailers in Disc 2, for me, look much better than the final movie.

It's disgusting. It's not like the picture is dark but you can turn up the brightness and still see everything, it doesn't matter how much you turn up the brightness because the detail is just washed out by all the black.

Some comparisons between the trailers and the movie -

WTF happened? I'm angry enough over Manga Entertainment's treatment of EoE.

Edit - checked and the camrip of the movie is better than the DVD in terms of brightness...

Well, i felt that the DVD Rip has more brightness than the Cam, too much in my opinion

System Shocker
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby System Shocker » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:36 pm

I'm angry I watched the dvd version because NyaaTorrents.org has the Rebuild of Evangelion 1.01 You are (not) alone in 720p High Definition. It seems like they are superseeding right now though.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:35 pm

Asuka's Plug Suit wrote:So the theatrical version will not be released on DVD...?

That's annoying...but then, I'm a completist. I'd gladly buy the original version of DEATH and DEATH (True), as well as the Genesis 0:13 and Genesis 0:14 versions of EoE, even though the differences are minor.

what are the differences in Genesis 13 and 14?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:54 pm

V: http://www.pustan.com/ld/Japan/nge.html and http://www.angelfire.com/anime4/mdwigs/Movies.html

Scroll down towards the bottom on both sites, but reading the whole page of the latter would be helpful.

From on now, please use Google search to answer questions like these or post your questions in the appropriate thread subsection.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

tian2992
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tian2992 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:57 pm

System Shocker wrote:I'm angry I watched the dvd version because NyaaTorrents.org has the Rebuild of Evangelion 1.01 You are (not) alone in 720p High Definition. It seems like they are superseeding right now though.

Rebuild has not been released at HD, we are all waiting for the 1080p BluRei disk ;) ^_^

master_lloyd
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:23 am

tian2992 wrote:
System Shocker wrote:I'm angry I watched the dvd version because NyaaTorrents.org has the Rebuild of Evangelion 1.01 You are (not) alone in 720p High Definition. It seems like they are superseeding right now though.

Rebuild has not been released at HD, we are all waiting for the 1080p BluRei disk ;) ^_^

Dear god in heaven tian2992 has delivered a pun to us.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

kasuturo
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby kasuturo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:43 am

tian2992 wrote:BluRei disk ;) ^_^

Good one.
I do not have a signature.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:35 am

I'm watching a torrented rip, and so far everything looks great except for the sachiel fight scene, which is way too dark.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

System Shocker
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby System Shocker » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:14 pm

I can confirm for you that the 1280 by 704 version on [url]http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=torrentinfo&tid=17445[/url] looks better than the dvd version now that it is finished seeding. 1080p doesn't look that different from 720p anyway. And most people don't even have Full HD tvs. And I'm watching on my computer monitor.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:24 pm

Eh? How was that released? O_o I thought it wasn't out on BlueRay/Rei yet...

EDIT: Ahh, it's a "pointless upscale".
'NOTHER EDIT: If it's just an upscaling of the DVD, how can it possibly look "better"?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:43 pm

NAveryW wrote:Eh? How was that released? O_o I thought it wasn't out on BlueRay/Rei yet...

EDIT: Ahh, it's a "pointless upscale".
'NOTHER EDIT: If it's just an upscaling of the DVD, how can it possibly look "better"?

Well, some people believe having the same image at a resolution displayed with exponents makes it infinitely better. In RPG terms, I suppose, "it's all about the HQ." If you have the massive monitor, go for it. Otherwise, play with your brightness settings and pop in the DVD... or if you're really hardcore you could export the film into photoshop (from a .avi, or some such file) as separate frames, doctor them, then put them back in a photoeditor and synch up the audio.

By then, however, they'll have released it in the correct format. I don't blame them, as they can get away with it at least once with the Evangelion name. Well, not from a business standpoint, anyway, but arguing ethics in business is like trying two nuns fighting over who is the true bride of Christ (and they say Jesus hates polygamy!)...
My memory and thought patterns are quite dodgy, and can best be described as "the lights are on but nobody is home."

That should explain a few things, if not many.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:52 pm

Zuggy wrote:WTF happened? I'm angry enough over Manga Entertainment's treatment of EoE.

Edit - checked and the camrip of the movie is better than the DVD in terms of brightness...

DVD-wise, not that much better with contrast maxed, although when I watched it on my television, it didn't seem dark to me at all.

http://www.tesuji.org/images/rebuild_film_compare1.jpg
http://www.tesuji.org/images/rebuild_film_compare2.jpg
http://www.tesuji.org/images/rebuild_film_compare3.jpg

System Shocker
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby System Shocker » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:00 pm

I can tell from the beginning that it looks better than the 700 megabyte file because the beginning where Rei shows up and the birds fly looks less pixelated in the 720p video.

Also, I just checked and you can copy that 1280 by 720 file on the Playstation 3 and it plays it without having to convert anything.

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Thu May 01, 2008 9:33 am

Ornette wrote: http://www.tesuji.org/images/rebuild_film_compare1.jpg
http://www.tesuji.org/images/rebuild_film_compare2.jpg
http://www.tesuji.org/images/rebuild_film_compare3.jpg

The two shots of Rei look ok, that last link doesn't look that much different from the trailer. There is still a loss of detail that's most noticeable with the shot of Eva-01.

The thing is we shouldn't even have to be fiddling with the brightness and contrast to be able to see what's going on to begin with!

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Thu May 01, 2008 8:10 pm

Zuggy wrote:The thing is we shouldn't even have to be fiddling with the brightness and contrast to be able to see what's going on to begin with!

That's generally what everyone is angry about, and again it'll probably be fixed in one of the subsequent releases. Not the most covert way of snatching some money from the fanbase, but then again, they know people would buy a figurine of Asuka using the restroom. All intents aside, I can't imagine it being a complete mistake, there's likely something behind all that.

Bugs the hell out of me too, as I was really looking forward to seeing Unit 01 goin' berserk again (not the reason I love the series, but it's definitely fun).
My memory and thought patterns are quite dodgy, and can best be described as "the lights are on but nobody is home."

That should explain a few things, if not many.

Merlin Ocelot
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Merlin Ocelot » Sat May 03, 2008 8:18 am

OK, guys.

I'm a bit confused here. Can someone please tell me what kind of versions of the Rebuild of Evangelion film have been released on DVD? Do they have englisch subtitles yet? Is there an extended version or something?

Thanks! :D
"Death is the road to awe"

Iron Rooster
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Sat May 03, 2008 12:00 pm

The Rebuild DVD has no English subtitles, I'm sure of that. I think it doesn't even have Japanese subs. They changed some things in the DVD version, like misspelling "emergency". I do think there was topic recently that talked about this.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

Shin-seiki
Committeeman
Committeeman

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat May 03, 2008 9:54 pm

Iron Rooster wrote:The Rebuild DVD has no English subtitles, I'm sure of that.
Heh heh heh... :chuckles:

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and the End
The Beginning and the End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat May 03, 2008 10:03 pm

So English subtitles only? My, my. How slick!

And it's "Attention here, please!" this time. Hehehe. :mwahaha:
[Became a moderator on December 31st, 2007. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat May 03, 2008 10:11 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:
Iron Rooster wrote:The Rebuild DVD has no English subtitles, I'm sure of that.
Heh heh heh... :chuckles:

THOSE WEREN'T ON THE DVD AND YOU KNOW IT. EXPLAIN YOURSELF!
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”