Diebuster Questions [SPOYLURZ]

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Diebuster Questions [SPOYLURZ]

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:42 pm

Just rewatched Gunbuster and did my virgin run of Diebuster the other day. Didn't feel like bumping some old generic thread, so... Since I have no thinking power of my own, and didn't get to check out the supposedly nifty booklets released with the DVDs (Netflix'd instead), I'm left with a number of questions...

1. What was Nono doing in a comet?
2. Why the heck do they call the real space monsters "variable gravity wells"?
3. Why was the Exelio black hole termed the new 11th planet?
4. Why did it take the Exelio space monster six months to reach Earth after warping?
5. How the heck did an uber-space monster end up assimilating the black hole, anyway?
6. How come a planet-sized ultimate humanoid weapon gets totally pwnd by 3-eyes, but "Nana-gou" Nono and Topless-less Oneesama in the restored Dix-Neuf can effortlessly defeat the thing with Inazuma Double Kick and the power of Sisterly Love? (And I won't accept "hard work and guts" for an answer. :tongueflap:)
7. Exactly what is Nono's "singularity"? (Yeah, I know it has something to do with the physics of black holes.)
8. WTF happened to Nono, exactly?
Last edited by Reichu on Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:59 pm

Err..... They got Gainax'd seems the logical conclusion.

Honestly, I didn't give much thought to things like that. I just enjoyed a nice sequal to an equally awesome Gunbuster. They kept the originals 'Guts and Effort' spirit, which is pretty hard for sequel's to do....

Anyway, I'll have a pop nonetheless

1: Nono in a comet? Well, it's a hot space- Girl in a Box thing. Just a larger extent. Maybe when humanity sealed itself up inside the solar system, they decided she was to dangerous to remain alive... but couldn't outright kill her, so froze her inside a comet instead.

2: I guess they call the STMC "Variable Gravity Well's", because they haven't really realised that they're actually STMC. It's believed the Titan STMC was actually a form of Topless. They think the Buster Corp's are the Space monsters of old. The incorrect name probably stuck as these things tend to do.

3: Why not? If it was orbiting the sun?

4: Smaller Galaxy Class Uchuu Kaiju can live at the core of a Star... who's to say larger ones can't finagle around with Black Holes. Wasn't the Excelion powered by a pair of Black Holes? They formed the jump drive, didn't they?

5: Prototype Spiral Power system. Notice how they spin around. -o-;

6: Nono's singularity could've been a representation of her spirit/soul... like Tetsuo's light in Akira movie, or the singularity that would've had to exist within her for her Warp Drive to work. Modern science doesn't eaxactly know what goes on inside the singularity... but a naked singularity is posited to be light emitting.

Well.... that's all I can come up with....
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:03 pm

I would love to add my usual pedantic tuppence, but I find that the series just slipped out of my consciousness. I hadn't realised quite how entirely forgettable the show was.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:30 pm

Dartz wrote:Maybe when humanity sealed itself up inside the solar system, they decided she was to dangerous to remain alive... but couldn't outright kill her, so froze her inside a comet instead.

What does that have to do with her original purpose, though? (Which was to command the Buster Corps or something...?)

I guess they call the STMC "Variable Gravity Well's", because they haven't really realised that they're actually STMC. It's believed the Titan STMC was actually a form of Topless. They think the Buster Corp's are the Space monsters of old. The incorrect name probably stuck as these things tend to do.

"STMC"... I'd seen some websites call them that, but I couldn't figure out why. Was that acronym somewhere in the original show?

I'm more referring to... Well, "variable gravity well" just seems like a really weird name to give a huge-ass alien. And the stuff about the ... STMC on Titan being a "Topless", and (later) the comment about humanity evolving into "variable gravity wells" in order to survive, was really just plain confusing.

Why not? If it was orbiting the sun?

Black holes aren't normally considered "planets", I don't think.

Smaller Galaxy Class Uchuu Kaiju can live at the core of a Star... who's to say larger ones can't finagle around with Black Holes.

It was a bit confusing, since in the original they got sucked by the billions into black holes. And then, thousands of years later, one of the black holes that sucked up millions of them is assimilated into a planet-sized STMC? lolwut
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:21 pm

1) HARD WORK AND GUTS.
2) HARD WORK AND GUTS.
3) HARD WORK AND GUTS.
4) HARD WORK AND GUTS.
5) HARD WORK AND GUTS.
6) fanwank something.
7) HARD WORK AND GUTS.
8) HARD WORK AND GUTS.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:41 pm

You're worthless, Zap.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Re: Diebuster Questions [SPOYLURZ]

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:34 pm

Reichu wrote:8. WTF happened to Nono, exactly?

NONO BECAME MAI WAIFU
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:22 pm

The Space Terrible Monster Crowd originated in Super Robot Wars, I believe.
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:57 pm

Reichu wrote:WTF happened to Nono, exactly?
Have you seen the first Ghost in the Shell film? It's pretty much exactly like that.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:13 pm

NAveryW wrote:Have you seen the first Ghost in the Shell film?

Yes, but I went away from it going, "Uhhhhhh... whatever."
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:08 pm

Reichu wrote:Yes, but I went away from it going, "Uhhhhhh... whatever."
And here I had thought you were an intellectual. >=(

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:26 pm

Reichu wrote:Yes, but I went away from it going, "Uhhhhhh... whatever."

All that geopolitical talk too much for you? Tsk, tsk.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:29 pm

Reichu wrote:1. What was Nono doing in a comet?

I don't think we're told specifically, but I have a feeling it has something to do with the "fabled ruins" they mentioned in passing during episode 6 that was one of the old spaceships from the first Gunbuster. Something made her shut down, or go into sleep mode, and dust and shit accumulated around her over a couple thousand years.

Reichu wrote:2. Why the heck do they call the real space monsters "variable gravity wells"?

Because the only true space monster they've seen so far was the one on Titan, which kept fluctuating the gravity of the moon. Since they were the same kind of creature, they just called the one from the Black Hole Exelio a Fluctuating Gravity Well as well. Keep in mind though, they were still calling the Buster Legion "Space monsters", so that was already taken.

Reichu wrote:3. Why was the Exelio black hole termed the new 11th planet?

Because it's cool. It probably orbited the system like a planet.

Reichu wrote:4. Why did it take the Exelio space monster six months to reach Earth after warping?

Needed time to evolve to it's 3rd evolutionary stage? I think this had something to do with the Rip Van Winkle effect. See the note about science in the next answer.

Reichu wrote:5. How the heck did an uber-space monster end up assimilating the black hole, anyway?

Probably has something to do with the true space monsters' ability to fluctuate the gravity around them. Keep in mind, Gunbuster 2's rubber science is even more flexible than Gunbuster's.

Reichu wrote:6. How come a planet-sized ultimate humanoid weapon gets totally pwnd by 3-eyes, but "Nana-gou" Nono and Topless-less Oneesama in the restored Dix-Neuf can effortlessly defeat the thing with Inazuma Double Kick and the power of Sisterly Love? (And I won't accept "hard work and guts" for an answer. :tongueflap:)

Sorry, but the answer is given in the show by Lal'C, and the answer IS "Hard work and guts".

Reichu wrote:7. Exactly what is Nono's "singularity"? (Yeah, I know it has something to do with the physics of black holes.)

Nono is speaking metaphorically. She means that she wants Lal'C to know that Nono truly cares for her. It's her feelings for Lal'C. Basically, it's a paper crane.

From pg. 16 of vol. 3's booklet:
Interviewer: The cosmic censor scene was powerful.
Tsurumaki: We visually depicted the cosmic censorship hypothesis. (laughs) The content described appears to be like Nono's wish, and as it is told as though real, it can also appear as if Nono may have already experienced this. Nono vanishes beyond the gravitational singularity and goes beyond time. Thus, in the near future, or the far, far future, Nono and Lal'C may go see the skylarks together.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:28 pm

Ah, I guess I was wrong. I had thought that Nono had been "assimilated" into Lal'C and they had kind of become one person.

bob13bob
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bob13bob » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:02 am

1. What was Nono doing in a comet?
She was the 7th gunbuster and ancient. Part of and/or controls (they call her the queen) the automated evolution gunbuster machines. As they surrounded the milky way galaxy keeping real monsters (RM) out; and humanity in, probably as a measure to not provoke RM attacks. Since she was inactive for so long, my guess in sleep mode drifting in the galaxy which eventually became a comet (masses drifting through space attract each other and form comets).

4. Why did it take the Exelio space monster six months to reach Earth after warping? Probably the time dilation effect (from ova1gunbuster) that was rubberly applied than and now.

5. How the heck did an uber-space monster end up assimilating the black hole, anyway
? The RM are never explained and both series humans knew next to nothing about them. They have capabilities beyond humans so this is consistent with their fictional universe.

6. How come a planet-sized ultimate humanoid weapon gets totally pwnd by 3-eyes, but "Nana-gou" Nono and Topless-less Oneesama in the restored Dix-Neuf can effortlessly defeat the thing with Inazuma Double Kick and the power of Sisterly Love? (And I won't accept "hard work and guts" for an answer.).
Degeneracy generators were purposely left ambiguous on how it worked, size having nothing to do with power is consistent with this series.

some things to keep in mind.

Gunbuster machines 1,2,3 were created 12k years ago.

Most of Jupiter 2 was used to make the black hole bomb gunbuster#3 in the original ova "gun buster". They attacked the RM nesting ground with it. A RM survived/evolved and harnessed the black hole.
The left over part of Jupiter#2, the core, was used in diebuster as an attack against the RM which failed.

Human Technology was more advanced in the first series. Specifically, Degeneracy generator, which was used as a power source and for warp. None of the human technology had it in second series "diebuster" except nono and restored form of Buster Machine No. 19: Dix-Neuf.

The first series:gunbuster was directed by Hideaki Anno (NGE) and second:diebuster by Kazuya Tsurumaki (FLCL) which really shows. The first series much more hard sci-fi
aadd want to register

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:40 am

Reichu wrote:6. How come a planet-sized ultimate humanoid weapon gets totally pwnd by 3-eyes, but "Nana-gou" Nono and Topless-less Oneesama in the restored Dix-Neuf can effortlessly defeat the thing with Inazuma Double Kick and the power of Sisterly Love? (And I won't accept "hard work and guts" for an answer. :tongueflap:)

I really don't think this is something that needs to be overthought. I mean, yeah, Dix-Neuf absorbed a degeneracy generator, but I think it's mostly the whole "If we want it real bad and yell at the top of our lungs with our super spiffy ultra rider kick, we can defeat any adversary. It's partially a formalistic element to symbolize the reconciliation of the two characters. Plus, it looks cool.

Reichu wrote:7. Exactly what is Nono's "singularity"? (Yeah, I know it has something to do with the physics of black holes.)

I think Nono's "singularity" is her ability to warp. I believe it's mentioned earlier when she does it that warping is lost technology.

I believe what happened is that when Nono and Lark kicked that bitch ass alien back into the black hole, they got sucked in too, so Nono gave her ability to warp (or used her warp ability) on Lark, thereby sacrificing herself to seal up the black hole and prevent it from splitting and possibly destroying the sol system.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:14 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:I really don't think this is something that needs to be overthought.

I was probably curious about the kinds of answers I'd get.

I mean, yeah, Dix-Neuf absorbed a degeneracy generator

Well, Dix-Neuf got it from one of the "space monsters", right? So each "space monster" has one of these things, and Diebuster was a fuckton of "space monsters", plus Nono, assembled together.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:08 pm

The reactor alone isn't enough. But the reactor allowed Dix-Neuf to reveal his true form.

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:10 pm

Effort and Guts/Spiral power You name it.

Of course, Lark is just a reused of the Kitsuribami character model from FLCL...
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:17 pm

bob13bob wrote:Most of Jupiter 2 was used to make the black hole bomb gunbuster#3 in the original ova "gun buster". They attacked the RM nesting ground with it. A RM survived/evolved and harnessed the black hole.
The left over part of Jupiter#2, the core, was used in diebuster as an attack against the RM which failed.

I thought that Jupiter 1was used to make the Black Hole bomb, and that the Fluctuating Gravity Well that Lal'C and Nono defeated came from the Black Hole Exelio, which was the ship that imploded in Gunbuster episode 5, inside our solar system. The reason Jupiter 2 is pretty deflated is because the black hole was sucking gasses towards it from Jupiter 2.

Not to mention also, Jupiter 1 in Gunbuster 2 is the ruins of a space ship that sunk.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”