ego?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Hand of God
Tunniel
Tunniel

ego?

•      
  •      

Postby Hand of God » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:46 pm

whats the ego and what is it for also what is at field (exactly what it is)?
the world is just a sick and twisted place

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: ego?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:30 am

Hand of God wrote:whats the ego and what is it for also what is at field (exactly what it is)?

The ego is one of the aspects of the self as identified by Freud (and then translated from German into Latin by his followers - he referred to Es, Ich and Überich, not Id, Ego and Superego)

The first things that Google turned up on the subject was http://allpsych.com/psychology101/ego.html

The Absolute Terror Field in NGE appears to be the physical manifestation of the soul - its shell or integument.
Last edited by Mr. Tines on Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:14 am

Isn't the ego like the "moderator" between the id and superego? Or am I mixing them up? The id is the part that acts, more or less, on impulse without regard for others, and the superego... is what?

Guh. I only learned this like, 3 weeks ago. :?
Close your eyes and listen hard

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:25 pm

what exactly is id, ego and superego?? i know that it has to do with the human psyche or something like that.
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:53 pm

Aha! I found my psychoanalysis worksheet. Cool.

Okay, so the id, according to that crazy Freud, is an important part of our personality because it allows us to have our basic needs met. The id does not care what others want, only what it wants. That's why little babies will cry and scream when they want/need something-- the id speaks up until its needs are met.

The ego begins developing within the next three years following infancy. The ego is based on the principle of reality, and understands that others have needs and desires, and that being impulsive and selfish can hurt others and yourself. It's the ego's job to satisfy the id while still keeping within the realistic boundaries of the situation.

By the age of five, the superego develops. The superego is the moral part of us and develops based on what moral ethics and values we're taught by our parents and society.

So there. I answered my own question.

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:57 pm

Thanks Ayanami, that helps some
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:49 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:The Absolute Terror Field has a real-world meaning in the discussion of autism

Have any refs for that? :twisted:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:54 pm

Reichu wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:The Absolute Terror Field has a real-world meaning in the discussion of autism

OK - let me rephrase "It is received wisdom around these parts that supposedly ..."

But feel free to prove me wrong. NGE will have muddied the waters for Google, in the same way that it has for "Chamber of Guaf".
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Hand of God
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Hand of God » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:05 pm

Ayanami wrote:Aha! I found my psychoanalysis worksheet. Cool.

Okay, so the id, according to that crazy Freud, is an important part of our personality because it allows us to have our basic needs met. The id does not care what others want, only what it wants. That's why little babies will cry and scream when they want/need something-- the id speaks up until its needs are met.

The ego begins developing within the next three years following infancy. The ego is based on the principle of reality, and understands that others have needs and desires, and that being impulsive and selfish can hurt others and yourself. It's the ego's job to satisfy the id while still keeping within the realistic boundaries of the situation.

By the age of five, the superego develops. The superego is the moral part of us and develops based on what moral ethics and values we're taught by our parents and society.

So there. I answered my own question.

thnx
the world is just a sick and twisted place

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:54 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:OK - let me rephrase "It is received wisdom around these parts that supposedly ..."

But feel free to prove me wrong. NGE will have muddied the waters for Google, in the same way that it has for "Chamber of Guaf".

I have gotten so frustrated with the lack of references about this ATF business that my mind feels tempted to throw it into the same quarantine block as those Barons of Hell. I added a comment in the OP tempting people to come forth with proof.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:01 pm

Reichu wrote:I have gotten so frustrated with the lack of references about this ATF business that my mind feels tempted to throw it into the same quarantine block as those Barons of Hell. I added a comment in the OP tempting people to come forth with proof.

*Reichu throws down the guantlet, all those who have previoulsy mentioned ATF or Barons of Hell scatter like cockroaches after the kitchen light has been turned on*
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:27 pm

Reichu wrote:

I read somewhere (I think it might've been an Anime Insider magazine... ) that the Absolute Terror field is a "wall" that people put up between themselves and others to shield themselves from bad situations or from people who try to hurt them (like an emotional shock absorber). With autism (and I know what I'm talking about here-- my mom teaches autistic children), the child is unresponsive (or unstimulated) to other people's emotions, or they display their emotions in unconventional ways. This is only one type of autism, but the symptoms are like an AT field. In all autism, it's caused by a chemical misfunction/disorder in the brain, where one area isn't being developed normally.

While an AT field is something that every person has, and autism is an actual mental disorder, they're both similar in some respects. Although the symptoms of autism aren't voluntary, it just happens because that's what happens when you have autism. An AT field is a conscious effort to block out others to keep yourself from getting hurt.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:31 pm

A "ref", here, would be a source COMPLETELY independent of Evangelion. So an anime magazine holds no authority, unless they provide a bibliography with psychological texts that we can check listed in it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:31 pm

Ayanami wrote:I read somewhere (I think it might've been an Anime Insider magazine... ) that the Absolute Terror field is a "wall" that people put up between themselves and others to shield themselves from bad situations or from people who try to hurt them (like an emotional shock absorber). With autism (and I know what I'm talking about here-- my mom teaches autistic children), the child is unresponsive (or unstimulated) to other people's emotions, or they display their emotions in unconventional ways. This is only one type of autism, but the symptoms are like an AT field. In all autism, it's caused by a chemical misfunction/disorder in the brain, where one area isn't being developed normally.

While an AT field is something that every person has, and autism is an actual mental disorder, they're both similar in some respects. Although the symptoms of autism aren't voluntary, it just happens because that's what happens when you have autism. An AT field is a conscious effort to block out others to keep yourself from getting hurt.

Well said, well spoken--this is highly relevant to the other thread on Shinji and autism--puts the debate in a clear light IMO
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:33 pm

Reichu wrote:A "ref", here, would be a source COMPLETELY independent of Evangelion. So an anime magazine holds no authority, unless they provide a bibliography with psychological texts that we can check listed in it.

Its all symbolism...every web source that pops up is tied to Eva, so it is just the symbolic parallels between the two--doesn't make it any less interesting IMO

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:34 pm

Reichu wrote:A "ref", here, would be a source COMPLETELY independent of Evangelion. So an anime magazine holds no authority, unless they provide a bibliography with psychological texts that we can check listed in it.

Well yeah... I was just sayin'...

I think I'll hit up Google for a few now...

EDIT

Well fuck. After looking for like, an hour, I couldn't find shit. Although if you look through this pyschology dictionary, you might be able to find something. I stopped looking after I finished the C's. >.>

JinKazama
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby JinKazama » Fri May 13, 2005 7:35 am

IMO, the "AT field" in EVA is kind of a wall/barrier created in the mind of someone in attempt to block physical attacks from enemies. or in another way of understanding it, it is actually the ability of the mind to reject the existence of an object, by refusing to perceive mental impressions of the object on the basis believeing it is true that physical feelings are illusional and they are only constructions of the mind. thus AT field is the most powerful shield that a being can have to protect itself :wink:

as for id, ego and superego, Ayanami had explained it well.
--== P.F.P. ==--
Philosophy of Freedom Project
.... If The Third Impact is an imagining of mankind in search for the ultimate freedom and individuality, it's clear that The Philosophy of Freedom Project will be the only solution in reality ....

Shwiggie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shwiggie » Fri May 13, 2005 3:18 pm

I googled "absolute terror light of soul" and came up with this in the results. Interesting little mindjob, this. No scholastic references, but sort of an interesting take.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Sat May 14, 2005 3:56 am

Aside from external references, there seems to be intra-Eva a relation between physical form and "ego border". First thought it was some kind of primitive term for ATF, as the meaning of ATF only appears since #24. But I also saw this phrase on posterior episodes, and it's also related to physical form. Also, there seems to be a relation between these elements and the wavelength pattern. Have to research this a little more, but as a tip, from what I've been reading *lightly* there might be a relation between synch and wavelength pattern, defining a state for this "ego border", and the consequences on physical form. Gotta research more.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 17, 2005 6:21 pm

Shwiggie wrote:I googled "absolute terror light of soul" and came up with this in the results. Interesting little mindjob, this. No scholastic references, but sort of an interesting take.

Asuka is clearly descended from those reptilian aliens.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”