Interesting little details in 1.XX

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Xero759
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Xero759 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:01 pm

I've gone thru the rip a few times, taking notes on things I found interesting so as to use for some kind of future commentary project, but darn you UrsusArctos, you've covered most of the interesting ones. Other little things tho...
-Amazing amount of flipflopping between Nerv's old and new logo, it's almost like they intentionally keep alternating it.

-While I'm not sure if anybodies gotten super-reliable subs yet for the rip, some lines pop out, such as when Gendo is telling Shinji to pilot Unit-01 for the first time, he says "The Bastard has found his way here" when Sachiel makes an explosion near Nerv.

-Looking at the soundtrack, Rei's theme has been named Rei-Opus IV. This may be the whole "A door is just a door" issue, but I really think (or want to believe) that the "IV" has some kind of meaning. It's not the 4th music track played in the movie (it's actually the 3rd), it's not the 4th track on the OST (it's actually the 13th). If we wanted to take it into story context, it shouldn't be the 4th version of Rei, either count her 2nd or 5th depending on the story, or maybe there is some change in Rei's backstory this time around (if you accept the whole "this time around" thing)...

-Regeneration is still a confusing matter. Unit-01 has regenerated its arm along with the armor in the fight with Sachiel, just like the show. It makes you wonder if they'll change the regeneration process for Zeruel, assuming we get to fight him of course (and we better!)

-Ibuki makes the insightful comment of "the blood is like a lake from hell...it reminds me of second impact." When I first saw this, I thought she might have been referencing all the water that seems to be red in the movie, it looks more like she's talking about the bloody explosion left by Sachiel.

-product placement makes me hungry

-Shinji has lost the yellow stars on his shoes but has gained fashion sense in exchange

-Something that really confuses me: According to my subs, Nerv has labeled Shamshel as "The 5th Angel," meaning we've skipped one somewhere. As such, Ramiel is the 6th. I'm curious who we've skipped. I know considering how long the movies get to be that we're probably going to have to cut some (Sandalphon and Ireul seem like the most likely candidates to me). Maybe Asuka took out Gaghiel somewhere in between, like Sadamoto's manga reducing the fight to a few panels.

-Shinji seems more popular at school this time around, all the girls at the swimming pool call out "Ikari-kun!" while he's staring at Rei.

-Ritsuko is sneaky with her cover this time when she talks to Misato over a drink and a cig. "Men aren't interested in me." Everybody will buy that...

-Train transport for eva during operation Y. Taking a leaf out of Roger Smiths book...

-Kaoru's conversation with Seele is, of course, great interest. Seele seems to make a bunch of allusions to a play as they say "He has already entered the stage" most likely being Shinji (maybe Gendo, but doubtful). It goes even further with "Thats right, as it's written in the Dead Sea Scrolls. The time to fulfill the contract is near." emphasizing that the scrolls are a sort of script for humanity. Seele then goes to mention that "They're only on the third one." This is MOST LIKELY talking about angels, but we've skipped one still. It could be Children as well and getting Asuka soon, or units. It's all very vague by my subs, which really makes me want some clarification.

These are the biggest things that jump out to me, well other than the raspberry-flavored water, but its been mentioned before, along with the moon as well.

Really want to take some of this content on the forums for my fan-commentary.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:47 pm

Xero759 wrote:-Something that really confuses me: According to my subs, Nerv has labeled Shamshel as "The 5th Angel," meaning we've skipped one somewhere. As such, Ramiel is the 6th. I'm curious who we've skipped. I know considering how long the movies get to be that we're probably going to have to cut some (Sandalphon and Ireul seem like the most likely candidates to me). Maybe Asuka took out Gaghiel somewhere in between, like Sadamoto's manga reducing the fight to a few panels.

Asuka is still being tested with Unit-02 in Germany. She has not fought any Angels yet, most likely. Sachiel is also now the 4th Angel, and Lilith is the 1st.

Xero759 wrote:-Shinji seems more popular at school this time around, all the girls at the swimming pool call out "Ikari-kun!" while he's staring at Rei.

He was popular in the TV series as well. There are more hints of that in the TV series, he's just not interested in those girls, just like he isn't in the movie.

Xero759 wrote:-Kaoru's conversation with Seele is, of course, great interest. Seele seems to make a bunch of allusions to a play as they say "He has already entered the stage" most likely being Shinji (maybe Gendo, but doubtful). It goes even further with "Thats right, as it's written in the Dead Sea Scrolls. The time to fulfill the contract is near." emphasizing that the scrolls are a sort of script for humanity. Seele then goes to mention that "They're only on the third one." This is MOST LIKELY talking about angels, but we've skipped one still.

A better translation for the end would probably be something like:
Kaworu: The third again, huh... You never change, do you? I can't wait to see you, Ikari Shinji-kun.

The "third" maybe mean the Third boy (Shinji), the third Angel (and if so, it might be that unknown giant he's looking at), or possibly even the Third Seele member, the third possible race of dominant life on Earth, or even the third Branch of Nerv, the third great civilization, the third planet from the sun, the third rice crispies treat, etc. etc.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:50 pm

Sacheil was identified as the Fourth Angel. I've noticed that when I've seen the Sachiel battle when it was up briefly on Youtube. A pause on AT Field neutralizing screen explicits says the AT-Field comes from the 4th Angel.

What the Third Angel is, is anyone's guess at this point.

Intrestingly, on that same screen, it says the AT-field from Shogouki comes from not just the core, but the Entry Plug, even though Sho is rather bezerk at this time. This could mean anything, this could mean nothing.
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:25 pm

Ah, the mysterious Third Angel.

I could be completely wrong but I'm on two and only beliefs on the issue at the moment.

To me, the third Angel is either Rei Ayanami (a little well planned bureacracy by Gendo could keep that little secret away from most of the NERV staff).

OR the third angel is the giant emaciated Eva on the moon. Everyones thinks Kaworu refers to Shinji...he ain't. Just subtle misinformation. I mean the second after Kaworu says that we cut to the giant Eva.

Hey, if Eva Unit 01 is a direct descendant of Adam-the first Angel.
And all the other Evas are manipulated offspring of Lilith- the second Angel.
Why can't Eva Unit 06 be the actual third Angel.

Hell, they have two Angels on ice already (well, one is omniously crucified but what the hell, they're melodramatic people), so why shouldn't a third be out of the question.

P.S. If you listen in the TV show, the girls scream "Ikari-kun" there too. Shinji could get some action. If he just stopped navel gazing.

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:34 pm

What about that misterious marks of an eva silhouette at the beginning?:

My first thought was that Rei already fought with an angel before Shinji comes to town, and obviously, she was defeated, and that is the mark where she landed, just like episode 5 of the series:

Also... when Gendou talks with the SEELE monoliths, one of the monoliths say that "it could repeat an atack from the fifth angel".
Is this a wrong translation or it means that the 5th angel atacked before?

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:51 pm

I think it's "Un poco inconveniente, pero será útil para el ataque del 5to Angel"
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:58 pm

cat42 wrote:
Xero759 wrote:-Shinji seems more popular at school this time around, all the girls at the swimming pool call out "Ikari-kun!" while he's staring at Rei.

He was popular in the TV series as well. There are more hints of that in the TV series, he's just not interested in those girls, just like he isn't in the movie.
Yes. My first thought (after realizing it wasn't in the Old Century show) was that they were making sure the viewer still knows Shinji is somewhat well-received despite the fact that the Y/N scene was removed.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:01 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:I think it's "Un poco inconveniente, pero será útil para el ataque del 5to Angel"

Yeah, thanks for rectifiyng that!
(gracias por confirmarme eso ;)

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:31 pm

NAveryW wrote:
cat42 wrote:

Yes. My first thought (after realizing it wasn't in the Old Century show) was that they were making sure the viewer still knows Shinji is somewhat well-received despite the fact that the Y/N scene was removed.

Y/N scene...?

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:46 pm

The "Ikari kun!!" by the girls exists also in the old Eva. Don't know if it's just Renewal, but there it is. Iketeru Shinji isn't just a Rebuild invention.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:19 pm

Xard wrote:Y/N scene...?

"Do you pilot a giant purple robot? Y/N"
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

jenova7
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby jenova7 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:19 am

Nephilim wrote:Image

if rebuild is indeed a sequal to the original, could this perhaps be unit one?

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:26 am

jenova7 wrote:
Nephilim wrote:Image

if rebuild is indeed a sequal to the original, could this perhaps be unit one?

Yes, but only if Rei was piloting it before Shinji appears (like the manga).

If Rebuild is a "sequal", it would be a reset of all the events.
*insert cool signature here*

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:05 pm

I don't know if these two details are connected, but are those crosses on Lilith the same as the crosses surrounding Unit-00's entry plug after Rei's breakdown?

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:44 am

Dunno if this has already been mentioned or not, someone recently on That Board posted a picture of Ramiel during it's geometric shape-shifting and you can see it has 4, if not 6 or 8, cores.

The Goose wrote:the crosses surrounding Unit-00's entry plug after Rei's breakdown?

When abouts in the movie do we see that?

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:16 am

When abouts in the movie do we see that?

After we see Gendo's glasses start to crack in the LCL, we see a cross-shaped object connected to Unit-00's entry plug.

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:22 am

Oh, the cross-shaped signal terminator plug. It's less easy to see in the TV series. Maybe there is a connection as the S.T.P. acts as a part of the restraints.

Why are the crosses aligned with Lilith's scar to begin with? Do they do that sort of thing in acupuncture (that's what first came to mind when I saw those crosses embedded in Lilith)?

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:57 pm

Here are the caps:
Image Image
*insert cool signature here*

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:42 pm

Hate to sound crazy, but I'm reminded of all those little crosses from EoE. Foreshadowing?
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:52 am

universalperson wrote:I'm reminded of all those little crosses from EoE.
Because in both cases they're all CROSSES?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”