The Gainax Cash Cow, or, Why The F*!& Did I Buy That?!

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:20 pm

Excuse me, I have no eva collection except for the DVDs and the mangas. So what is so good about buying all these things?

whoah! Your the last person I was expecting to hear say that! You did want to conquer the world using Eva right? Well an indirect way of contributing to that goal is by buying the merchandise of the company that makes it.

Though I only buy eva related stuff if I think it looks cool. I remember back when eva wasn't so popular I used to buy all this stuff, but then I realized that Gainax was beginning to pull a George Lucas and flood the market with their stuff which is why I only buy the really cool stuff now.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

marmotgirl
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby marmotgirl » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:46 pm

universalperson wrote:Was that original a piece of artwork, or was that Kaworu's prototype design?

It's taken from a Sadamoto illustration (was in Vol #10 of the manga I think), but it's part of the same Rebuild range from Kotobukiya as this Misato...which I thought was out alrady but apparently it's a March pre-order.

TheImperialist wrote:Excuse me, I have no eva collection except for the DVDs and the mangas. So what is so good about buying all these things?

Delicious fucking consumerism. Accumulation of crap. The idiotic grin on my face when endless days of academic meltdown are punctuated with the sunshine of a parcel of plastic from Japan.[/quote]
"Dude, it's not that I don't think you're cool or anything but the fact is that that guy is driving a Big Red GTO and you're pissing about in an enraged banana."

yokuchi
Adam

Postby yokuchi » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:59 pm

marmotgirl wrote:Delicious fucking consumerism. Accumulation of crap. The idiotic grin on my face when endless days of academic meltdown are punctuated with the sunshine of a parcel of plastic from Japan.

This is my new definition of gaijin otaku. :wink:
insert witty and offensive political banter here

marmotgirl
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby marmotgirl » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:00 pm

yokuchi wrote:
marmotgirl wrote:Delicious fucking consumerism. Accumulation of crap. The idiotic grin on my face when endless days of academic meltdown are punctuated with the sunshine of a parcel of plastic from Japan.

This is my new definition of gaijin otaku. :wink:

\m/ Awesome \m/
"Dude, it's not that I don't think you're cool or anything but the fact is that that guy is driving a Big Red GTO and you're pissing about in an enraged banana."

Zuggy
Banned

Postby Zuggy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:00 pm

I've pre-order this model pictured from a local shop, for a March release. I would like the Misato one in the same series of models as well but it's pricey.

The merchandising I have is a wallscroll of Rei in a purple dress, which is around 1.10m by 80cm large. I also have the Kotobukiya Ayanami Party Dress model that came with a neat velvet podium.

BLACKANGEL32076
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:49 pm

Dude, they have a Misato version of that?!? Got pics???
-...because a lot can happen in 24hrs.
-"Consistancy people, consistancy!!!"-George Carlin

JP
Adam

Postby JP » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:49 pm

BLACKANGEL32076 wrote:Dude, they have a Misato version of that?!? Got pics???

Dunno if its from the same line, but,

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DC82149#LargeImage
The pregnancy is now absolute.

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Incisivis » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:33 pm

I buy because it reminds me of all the fun I had with the material. Fortunately, since I don't like any of the female characters, it doesn't break my bank.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

Zuggy
Banned

Postby Zuggy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:44 pm

That Misato figure is nice. There are a couple of Asuka ones I've seen from the same series, where she's posing on top of a chunk of rubble.

Took some photos - Ayanami Party Dress Version and Extra Figure Pajamas Baby, both prepainted, the light is from a 60w lamp and it still came out dark?!

A model based on the 2002 calendar that I'm never going to finish the way things are going (so much sanding to do!).

And a wallscroll -

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:43 pm

TEH Rei!!! :rei_dance:

Anyway, love the wall-scroll. ^_^

I might have mentioned these/showed the pic links already, but here are the newer figures I have:

I have the Ayanami Party dress version figure, Rei BMX (sp) bike trick figure, Asuka School uniform version (the one where she's sitting on a brick wall), and Asuka Casual Dress version (in a red-white striped shirt and shorts, sitting at the edge of her bed.)

The other goods/figures are mentioned a few pages back.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Incisivis » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:30 pm

Okay, I think I should now *actually* contribute to the direction this thread went.

Stuff I have besides series media:

*Newtype 100% Collection
*Shinji, Sachiel, and Eva-01 Kubricks Set
*Kaworu, MP-EVA and MP-EVA transport Kubricks Set
*Kaiyodo EVA-01 (the one that came with the little Kaworu figure)
*Revoltech Renewal EVA-01
*Assorted bootleg mini-posters, usually cast shots or Shinji images
*SonMay bootleg soundtracks, before I knew what they were
*Really, really cruddy plush of Shinji in a Plug suit with sandy hair. It's probably the closest thing I have to an item I'd regret, but...I don't. Shinji fans must take what they can get.
*Episode 09 bedtime Shinji plush
*Shinji 3" plush UFO Catcher keychain
*Kaworu 3" plush UFO Catcher keychain
*Kaworu wristwatch
*Shinji Gashopon
*Kaworu Gashopon
*Shinji Wallscroll (with 3-in-1 Shinji model kit boxart)

Hey everybody, guess who my favourite characters are? :rolleyes:

Here's an interesting bit, though:

This was the first piece of Evangelion merchandise I ever bought: a bootleg purse with Rei and Kaworu images, with a flower on the zipper; truly special. Unfortunately, a corner broke out of it (what?) and it became useless.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:51 pm

I think I know of a store that still sells the Shinji Episode 09 bedtime plush...Would it be worth it?

Speaking of which, the Eva Store sells that shirt Shinji was wearing in that scene. ^_^ (White long shirt, red circle, has the Kanji (as translated by ADV): Daily Calm Spirit written on it.) I soooo wanna get that shirt! ;_; http://www.evastore.jp/index.cgi?rm=detail&id=1437&genre=60_apparel&page=5&key=&8%A1%E04=2%A1%DE0

Anyway...
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Incisivis » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:44 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I think I know of a store that still sells the Shinji Episode 09 bedtime plush...Would it be worth it?

I'd say so. I'd imagine he's hard to find right now, and as plushes go he's a fairly good likeness, and even has a sad-Shinji expression on his face.
I liek Shinji

Kyoko Sano
Embryo

Postby Kyoko Sano » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:07 pm

Evangelion Flavored Condoms...Nuff said.
You are Mine, Only Mine. ~ Kyoko Sano
Goddess For Dessert
EAT ME!!!

shito
Embryo

Postby shito » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:32 pm

Anyone know of a SD Lilith keychain? I bought one in like 1998/99, it had the spear of longinus through it and all, it was really cool... but somehow it's gone now. I'd like to buy it again but now I can't find it anywhere.
My only hope is to randomly find it someday lying in some hidden spot in my room...

I don't really regret buying anything I think... except bootleg OSTs. But even so, back then it was hard to DL music from the internets, so it's not that bad.
death and

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:39 pm

I regret not buying that Sachi cap I saw at a convention I went to. I would've so worn that to school. But when I decided to go and buy it, the person was gone. :raincloud: ( http://www.ncsx.com/2007/060407/Monday/evangelion_sachiel_hat_fxy.jpg )

I'd like a Sachiel backpack. That would be the shit.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby honsou » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:43 pm

Sachiel_13 wrote:I regret not buying that Sachi cap I saw at a convention I went to. I would've so worn that to school. But when I decided to go and buy it, the person was gone. :raincloud: ( http://www.ncsx.com/2007/060407/Monday/evangelion_sachiel_hat_fxy.jpg )

I'd like a Sachiel backpack. That would be the shit.

That is a awesome hat! I will take 20

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:40 pm

I don't buy NGE merchandise unless it's officially licensed unlicensed shwag. And the Angels need to have human noses.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Chowwow » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:23 am

Normally, I don't buy into merchandising and refrain from being a part of the money whoring of Evangelion. The manga is fair game though, I simply love it, and I have recently been buying some of the most recent volumes.

I managed to score a copy of Volume 10 in California, something that was exciting by itself. However, one day while touring shops in San Francisco, however, I found this too. Some should not be surprised:

A closer look:

Even though it was five bucks and I wasn't a Capricorn, I thought it was cool nonetheless. How many times do you come across something with Yui's face on it?

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Shiro » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:11 am

That's epic win right there. Yui just has poor Gendou and Fuyu wrapped around her little finger. And chibi Fuyu is always a treat. (Katakana says "Gen" on Gendou's shirt, and "Kou" on Fuyu's; for Gendou and Kouzo)
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”