The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:08 am

Someone ought to back this up in case something happens. It has at least some interesting conversation in it, but for the most part it behaves like a Mobius strip.

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2005, 18:33 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:09 am

Reichu wrote:but for the most part it behaves like a Mobius strip.

You mean, it's completely one-sided Image

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2005, 21:40 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:09 am

All that's left to do right now is make spam-posts, which are likely to be deleted, thereby stunting the growth of the thread. Stating once again that Weta's Yui looks like Tama-chan on Satanic steroids just for the sake argumentive longevity is downright wasteful. And as for being a Mobius strip, this thread hasn't nearly enough echidnas.

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2005, 22:12 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:09 am

Mr. Tines wrote:You mean, it's completely one-sided Image

Well, Mobius strip may have been the wrong analogy... I was thinking of the way that the single continuous surface of the strip is neverending, and in a similar way LAEM threads involve the exact same sentiments being inevitably regurgitated again, and again, and again, and again...

EDIT: Image @ Hexon's pun

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2005, 23:09 GMT

Z Metalla [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Z Metalla [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:09 am

Hexon.Arq wrote:And as for being a Mobius strip, this thread hasn't nearly enough echidnas.

Image I got the meaning of that one, easy!

Er, as for the movie, hopefully it'll stay in limbo for a long time (maybe forever). Of course, I also have this sick sense of curiosity as to how the LAEM would turn out. Image But, beware Murphy's law.... the movie might suddenly come out sooner than we believe/want it to/fear/othersuch terms... Image

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2005, 23:29 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:09 am

Z Metalla wrote:Er, as for the movie, hopefully it'll stay in limbo for a long time (maybe forever). Of course, I also have this sick sense of curiosity as to how the LAEM would turn out. Image But, beware Murphy's law.... the movie might suddenly come out sooner than we believe/want it to/fear/othersuch terms... Image

No, no. It'll be fine. You see it's really easy to compress ~11 hours of an awe inspiring anime with shakespearean plot and character depth into a 109 minute CG live action flic that needs to be rubber stamped by the MPAA.

There, I whined. And no I don't feel better.

Why is it that when something become popular, people go "They should make a movie of this!" Why is it that people feel that something should be Hollywoodized in order to somehow proclaim its presence for the world. Gentlemen we are talking about the industry that is making a Doom movie which is not set on mars and has no demons. Do you realise what they will do to Evangelion? Think the Super Mario Brothers movie here. We'll be lucky if Fuyutsuki gets one line, and it'll be a cold day in hell before humanity turns to tang on 35mm, let alone gets sucked en masse into a giant naked woman. Expect an 18 year old Shinji played by a 27 year old, a mute Ibuki, a brutish Touji, three angels, retcon simplifications and abundant cheezy one liners. The best we can hope for is that Gendou says not one word to Shinji for the entire film, but he'll probobly end up with a hackneyed speech to mouth to his estranged son before they engage in a cliched fistfight in the gallery above the Eva Unit One while Tokyo-3 collapses around them....

I still don't feel better.

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2005, 23:58 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:09 am

...he'll probobly end up with a hackneyed speech to mouth to his estranged son before they engage in a cliched fistfight in the gallery above the Eva Unit One while Tokyo-3 collapses around them....

Clichéd? Where the hell else have you seen that?

Originally posted on: 01-Apr-2005, 00:25 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:09 am

Hexon.Arq wrote:Clichéd? Where the hell else have you seen that?

The backdrops change, the characters change, the shots change....
....but it's the same danm brawl, over and over.

Originally posted on: 01-Apr-2005, 00:40 GMT

Headcrab [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Headcrab [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:09 am

OMF wrote:No, no. It'll be fine. You see it's really easy to compress ~11 hours of an awe inspiring anime with shakespearean plot and character depth into a 109 minute CG live action flic that needs to be rubber stamped by the MPAA.

There, I whined. And no I don't feel better.

Why is it that when something become popular, people go "They should make a movie of this!" Why is it that people feel that something should be Hollywoodized in order to somehow proclaim its presence for the world. Gentlemen we are talking about the industry that is making a Doom movie which is not set on mars and has no demons. Do you realise what they will do to Evangelion? Think the Super Mario Brothers movie here. We'll be lucky if Fuyutsuki gets one line, and it'll be a cold day in hell before humanity turns to tang on 35mm, let alone gets sucked en masse into a giant naked woman. Expect an 18 year old Shinji played by a 27 year old, a mute Ibuki, a brutish Touji, three angels, retcon simplifications and abundant cheezy one liners. The best we can hope for is that Gendou says not one word to Shinji for the entire film, but he'll probobly end up with a hackneyed speech to mouth to his estranged son before they engage in a cliched fistfight in the gallery above the Eva Unit One while Tokyo-3 collapses around them....

I still don't feel better.

Well I wouldn't exactly say Shakepearean plot...

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 02:26 GMT

Ultimate-ZERO [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ultimate-ZERO [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:10 am

Personally, the only way I can see this thing ending well, at all, would be if Anno himself directed, produced, authored, and casted the thing... But, there's as good a chance as that happening as me scoring the lead role as Shinji. (And I'm black, so that lets you know how slim the chances are... But... A black Shinji, he could get stuff done, you know... 'Specially if he were from the Ghettos. A Ghetto Shinji... Spewing ebonics, and wearing 'pimp' style clothes... And RAPPING! Can't forget the bling bling!

>_> Umh... Crap. I can hear everyone calling me a heretic. Better go now...

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 03:41 GMT

Grisha [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Grisha [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:10 am

Does anyone have any links to websites with a lot of informations and images in connection to this film? I've already seen all there is to see for those painting type images of what the evangelions will look like and blueprints for NERV etc...but it doesn't satisfy me Image

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 03:55 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:10 am

Ultimate-ZERO wrote:Personally, the only way I can see this thing ending well, at all, would be if Anno himself directed, produced, authored, and casted the thing... But, there's as good a chance as that happening as me scoring the lead role as Shinji. (And I'm black, so that lets you know how slim the chances are... But... A black Shinji, he could get stuff done, you know... 'Specially if he were from the Ghettos. A Ghetto Shinji... Spewing ebonics, and wearing 'pimp' style clothes... And RAPPING! Can't forget the bling bling!

>_> Umh... Crap. I can hear everyone calling me a heretic. Better go now...

Black Shinji...that could work. Image

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 03:59 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:10 am

Naw. Just make him a wigger. "Will the Real Slim Shinji please stand up?"

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 04:07 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:10 am

Thin-G wold be a great name for him, as that's what comes up whenever I translate his name...Image

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 04:12 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:10 am

And I'm black, so that lets you know how slim the chances are... But... A black Shinji, he could get stuff done, you know...

Laugh if you will, but I had suggested that some time ago as an alternative to convention, and was dead serious. I still am.

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 22:53 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:10 am

Headcrab wrote:Well I wouldn't exactly say Shakepearean plot...

I would. Evangelion is one of the few texts I've encountered that comes close to the level of depth and meaning encountered in Shakespearean plays. Every second line and shot practically drips with meaning, methaphor and intrguige. We're still debating it, so it must be good. I still think people will be debating it in ten or even twenty years time. Centuries from now is pushing it, especially considering the fundamentalsists will probobly have had all copys burned by then.

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 23:06 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:10 am

Geeks will always be at least one step ahead of the fundamentalists. Image

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 23:24 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:11 am

What will be scary is when the geeks are the fundamentalists.

"We found this stash of dubbed anime in his house. It's believed that he showed it to the neighborhood children."

"BURN HIM!!!"

Originally posted on: 04-Apr-2005, 23:47 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:11 am

The ritualistic genocide of dubbies... Ah, I can smell the burning flesh already.

(I need sleep.)

Originally posted on: 05-Apr-2005, 00:45 GMT

Ultimate-ZERO [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ultimate-ZERO [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:11 am

... Great. Then we'll have our own rendition of "450° Farienhight: The Tempature at which Dubbed Anime Burns..." >_>

Sign me up to be a fireman... Le Sigh.

Originally posted on: 05-Apr-2005, 01:55 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”