The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Over time, notable threads from ANF will be preserved here for the Benefit of All.

Moderators: Ornette, Monk Ed

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3651
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:04 am

For some reason, I really have to wonder where people find all of these Eva fans who are worth complaining about, because I don't see any around these parts. (Except for you, Monkey. Image )

Originally posted on: 21-Jan-2005, 23:33 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 138
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:04 am

Hexon did you even read the quote by Tsurumaki?


Yes I did. But not all that is is intentional. You don't always burn your steak because you wanted to.

Originally posted on: 22-Jan-2005, 00:08 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel
User avatar
Posts: 618
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:04 am

Hexon.Arq wrote:Yes I did. But not all that is is intentional. You don't always burn your steak because you wanted to.


Pfft! All that time I was going on about authorial intentent, and you've just encapsulated the entirety of the topic, more or less, in one sentance. Nice one. That's exactly what I was driving at. This was all in another thread, but it's the same essential argument.

Originally posted on: 22-Jan-2005, 01:32 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel
User avatar
Posts: 618
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:04 am

TsunamiShijo wrote:Ah so i guess the exact words of the asisstant director are just a conpiracy so that people wont get mad at them, I see. Like MagicianCamille said, EVA fans will say anything to keep living in their make believe world that EVA is the best anime ever made.

Hexon did you even read the quote by Tsurumaki?



The judeo/christian imagery is a vehicle for the plot and so forth, it could have been greek mythology, and it might have worked just as well.
Thus was the point Of Tsurumaki's statement, it was only there to look cool, it had no [/u] christian[/u] meaning[/u]

What is it that EVA fans just will not understand?


The type of people doing this are starting to REALLY annoy me. Do I come in to the sub-forum for your favourite anime and start ragging on "G-Gundam fans" (or what the heck ever!) and how they annoy me, or how pathetic they are. No? I didn't think I had done. On the one hand, you could say that's because I don't think so, and I don't. On the other, you could also say that it's because it would be discourteous.

How about anyone else who is a reg on this forum? Do they do that? Do the ones who get personal abuse directed at them on some occasions do anything to deserve it other than to like and be passionate about a certain anime? If they don't, then I suggest it might be pleasant (although highly unlikely) if you were to extend us the same damn curtesy!

:holds thumb and index finger up, real close together:

I am this close to just giving up on this forum. I don't expect there'd be many people who that would bother, but it's how I feel. I've had a belly full of people moaning on about Eva fans, you know? Well, here's one less that youl'll have to put up with, unless things change pretty soon.

MODS: Posts like the one I'm complaining about are severely off topic in a forum such as this one, and by some definitions, trolling. Offensive, rude, pointless, and irritating. Just some opinions from a probable soon-to-be ex-member.

Any of you other regs had about all you can stomach? I don't stand for this kind of trash in life, and nor will I stand for it on the internet. Offensive generalisations are something that I just don't care for.

Originally posted on: 22-Jan-2005, 01:46 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3651
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:05 am

Like I said before, I honestly wonder where exist all of these fans whom the NGE-bashers love to complain about. Sometimes I get to thinking that they are just a myth that has been fabricated by the opposition to "justify" the crap they diss at us, because NGE-bashing has become a favorite sport for those who feel they have "something to prove" by it. The people who post here, anyway, seem to be innocent as charged. If you're going to complain, do it to the right audience.

Biscuit, I wouldn't let these folk suck the fun out of the forum for you. They're a dime a dozen, and just an annoyance to be brushed off, lest they get what they want and nip you successfully. If people started leaving on account of them, that would make me a Sad Reichu.

Originally posted on: 22-Jan-2005, 02:47 GMT

TsunamiShijo [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 5
Joined: Feb 03, 2008

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TsunamiShijo [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:05 am

And i agree that most EVA fans do understand that point but some just dont get it. I have nothign against EVA fans as a whole, just against the hardcore ones who say that all other anine sucks compared to EVA blah blah blah. I watched EVA, I liked it for a while, but i found better things and moved on. So in no way am I trying to offend anyone and i'm sorry if I did I was only trying to make my point about some peoples obsessions on the religous aspect of EVA.[/u]

Im sorry was i unclear about my opinions in the first place. And by the way this is a forum where people discuss their views and if you can't handle the fact that people will have different views than you then why did you sign up in the first place? When people bash anime that I like i don't get mad and cry about it i respect their opinions and take them to heart. Everyone likes different things. And everyone understands that that is what message boards are for. It's not like I insulted your character or said derrogatory comments. Please grow up.

Originally posted on: 22-Jan-2005, 03:18 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel
User avatar
Posts: 618
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:05 am

TsunamiShijo wrote:Im sorry was i unclear about my opinions in the first place. And by the way this is a forum where people discuss their views and if you can't handle the fact that people will have different views than you then why did you sign up in the first place? When people bash anime that I like i don't get mad and cry about it i respect their opinions and take them to heart. Everyone likes different things. And everyone understands that that is what message boards are for. It's not like I insulted your character or said derrogatory comments. Please grow up.


First of all: Now you're getting personal.

Second of all: I don't give a damn what you think of my favourite anime, and nor was I complaining about that. I was complaining about you moaning about the FANS of that anime. That's personally directed, even if at a large group.

Third of all: It ain't just you.

Fourth: This is the Evangelion message board!!

Five: Who the heck is 'everyone'? Everyone knows this... Everyone says that.

Six: Yeah, you're right, I'd be a fool to leave because of what you say, or think. I take that back.

Seven: Why can't forums be like usenet, and have a handy 'kilfile' function.

Originally posted on: 22-Jan-2005, 03:53 GMT

TsunamiShijo [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 5
Joined: Feb 03, 2008

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TsunamiShijo [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:05 am

I apologize.

Originally posted on: 22-Jan-2005, 06:07 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 138
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:05 am

Mommy! Daddy! You're ruining my birthday!!!

Oh, are you done? Good.

Originally posted on: 22-Jan-2005, 07:28 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 97
Joined: Oct 22, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:05 am

Heh... this thread will never die.

Originally posted on: 23-Jan-2005, 10:05 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel
User avatar
Posts: 787
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:05 am

Might as well add my tuppence to the thread at some point...

Talking about other movies with friends last night (starting with the two new War of the Worlds films due out this year, but wandering further afield), a few points got articulated that are germane to this thread.

First, too often in adaptations, the film makers are unwilling to trust to the source material or to their audience - which is why Team America (for all its flaws) is a much better hommage to Gerry Anderson than the Thunderbirds live-action movie (a disaster beyond even the abilities of International Rescue), which wasn't sure whether it was aiming at the parents who saw the show when they were kids, or the current generation of youngsters. It also leads to a simplification or coarsening (as in the opposite of fine-grained, rather than as the opposite of cultured) of character motivations (e.g. in the LotR movies, Pip and Merry join up because they are on the lam, not because of loyalty and friendship; the reasons for the armies of Gondor marching on Mordor are far less subtle in the film). In LotR this also added to the pointless interpolations on the way up to Cirith Ungol, just to drive home to the slow of wit that Gollum was an uncertain ally at best.

The second is a perceived need to add "human interest" - the in LotR, Aragorn's angst over taking up the sword and thus declaring an interest in the crown; and the whole-cloth invention of the "Aragorn MIA" element added into the already tangled middle volume.

And a third is the "more action/more violence" that seems to be required to try and hold those with short attention spans (more of the LotR battles broght on screen than were in the books).

If the EVA movie is made without being a deliberate art-house film, I can see the all three of these factors coming into play - the "cartoons are for kids" arguments will happen, and bring the first into play; the complexities of the human condition would suffer at that point, and be compensated by more conventional "human interest" - probably accumulating around the Misato-Kaji equivalents; and as it's a giant robot show, the third temptation will be there all the time.

Originally posted on: 23-Jan-2005, 10:53 GMT

MonkeyBoy0314 [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 31
Joined: Oct 20, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby MonkeyBoy0314 [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:05 am

you never know how the movie could fair (if it isnt just a rumor, that is). im an optimist, so im under the impression that it could actually turn out pretty damn good (im probably gonna end up seeing it no matter what Image )

and even if it isnt good, that doesnt mean that it is gonna ruin the series in any way. EVA will still be my favorite series, and everyone can just get on with their lives.

By the way, does anyone even know if it is actually true? private message me and send me proof, if you can!

Originally posted on: 23-Jan-2005, 18:51 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3651
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:05 am

MonkeyBoy0314 wrote:By the way, does anyone even know if it is actually true? private message me and send me proof, if you can!


What? The fact that ADV wants to make a movie? Proof ain't that hard to come by; it's staring you right in the face on two of ADV's DVD releases, for one thing.

And I officially propose we rename this thread "The Geeks Versus Peter Jackson". Seriously, this thread is more about the LotR adaptation than LAEM. Image

(On an aside, there seem to be plenty of Tolkien fanboys who enjoyed Jackson's films, rather than feel a need to chirp over every detail that strays from Ronald's vision... I'm guessing this is responsible for one helluva "well, now we know who the real fans are" battleground in Tolkien geek circles.)

Originally posted on: 23-Jan-2005, 19:14 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 138
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:05 am

As for the trifling of motivations, it should seem clear that in order to form more self-contained subchapters derived from the basic arcs, motivations will have to change and/or bring themselves to some kind of resolution. Unless you want the feeling of a cliffhanger, even an emotional cliffhanger, the inner substance will have to be retrofitted, even self-deceptively, to allow for major accomplishment. If Shinji begins as a wimp, he's going to have to harden somewhat befor the credits roll, otherwise no journey was made and time was wasted.

Originally posted on: 23-Jan-2005, 21:50 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel
User avatar
Posts: 413
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:05 am

Reichu wrote:(On an aside, there seem to be plenty of Tolkien fanboys who enjoyed Jackson's films, rather than feel a need to chirp over every detail that strays from Ronald's vision...)

I actually know several people who fit into both camps at once, oddly enough...

Off-topic, Monkey Boy, I think you spelled "Ezekiel" incorrectly. Image

Originally posted on: 23-Jan-2005, 21:53 GMT

kalisaris [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 4
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby kalisaris [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:05 am

There's no need to feed this, but I'll say I enjoyed highly both the books and the movies in different ways Image

Originally posted on: 23-Jan-2005, 23:52 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3651
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:06 am

And, sadly, there are those who us who are so put off by Tolkien's writing style that we can't enjoy the books, no matter how much we might like to...

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 01:13 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 138
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:06 am

I'll say; I feel like an idiot for having taken a month to get through Fellowship, but it's one of those situations where you must go back and reread every other line just to know what the hell is going on.

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 01:16 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3651
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:06 am

Then what I must feel like for having never finished The Hobbit[/u] must be beyond the ability of English to adequately describe.

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 03:17 GMT

MonkeyBoy0314 [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 31
Joined: Oct 20, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby MonkeyBoy0314 [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:06 am

Reichu wrote:Then what I must feel like for having never finished The Hobbit[/u] must be beyond the ability of English to adequately describe.

you never finished The Hobbit?! get to it, then!

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 03:22 GMT


Return to “AnimeNation Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest