The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:34 pm

???

Dude, he doesn't look the slightest bit Asian, especially in those Ep21 flashbacks.

You know what would be cool? Getting George Takei to play the guy sitting next to Gendo in that pic, Jonathan Frakes as Gendo, and having some kind of weird Star Trek in-joke... that would be hella funny.

Reichu wrote:Xanatos and Gendou are both megalomaniacs, true, but they are completely different types of megalomaniacs. Ol' David is kind of the crazy, charismatic, fun-loving kind (the evil incarnation from "Future Tense" nonwithstanding -- that was just Puck frelling with Goliath's brain, anyhow) who enjoys creating temporal paradoxes, flying around in battle armor, and having karate matches with his half-fey wife, whereas Gendou is the dark, brooding, self-loathing sort with a weakness for green-eyed women and Mickey Mouse gloves who wouldn't think twice about turning everyone on Earth into Tang.

And Riker is the no-nonsense macho heroic type with a weakness for telepathic women who can play his instrument... er... you know what I mean. The point is, he's a versatile actor and one badass bad guy.

And for the record, Gendo DID have an objection to everyone on Earth turning into Tang. He wanted only himself and Unit 01 to turn into Tang, remember? "Death creates Nothing" and whatnot?

Originally posted on: 09-Mar-2004, 19:04 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:35 pm

Fuzzy Chickens wrote:You know what would be cool? Getting George Takei to play the guy sitting next to Gendo in that pic, Jonathan Frakes as Gendo, and having some kind of weird Star Trek in-joke... that would be hella funny.

Might as well. After reading the last interview of Tiffany Grant on trivialbeing.net, it would appear the entire movie is going to be one big joke anyway so why not? I'm officially against this movie now until they confirm thayt it will be a Japanese cast set in Japan.

Yeah I know I'm doing a 180 on my opinion, but oh well. There's only so much an EVA fan can take of Matt Greenfield and Tiffany Grant's stupidity before they burst.

Originally posted on: 10-Mar-2004, 06:58 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:35 pm

Tiffany Grant's stupidity is nowhere near as annoying as her Asuka voice.

Originally posted on: 11-Mar-2004, 01:26 GMT

rei82 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby rei82 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:35 pm

Fuzzy Chickens wrote:Tiffany Grant's stupidity is nowhere near as annoying as her Asuka voice.

BLASPHMEY!

Originally posted on: 12-Mar-2004, 14:48 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:35 pm

Fuzzy Chickens wrote:Tiffany Grant's stupidity is nowhere near as annoying as her Asuka voice.

The scary thing is, that's her actual normal speaking voice.

:uhoh:

Originally posted on: 12-Mar-2004, 23:14 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:35 pm

Reichu wrote:"Gargoyles" references? W00t! That show still kicks arse (even if half or more of the episodes have crappy Korean animation).

OT: Gargoyles was excellent, at least what I've seen of it. *thinks Demona is great*

And, yes, the Grant-Greenfield organism seems lacking in sense at times. I've read some interviews with Grant, and she comes across as pretty flighty and hyper.

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2004, 01:23 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:36 pm

thx3876 wrote:The scary thing is, that's her actual normal speaking voice.

You're joking, right? Oh dear God tell me you're joking!

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2004, 15:29 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:36 pm

If chicks can be cursed with sounding like that NORMALLY, maybe it's not such a bad thing that little kids think I sound like a man.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2004, 16:36 GMT

NeonProdigy [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NeonProdigy [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:36 pm

Image Ha ha he..... yeah.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2004, 22:01 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:36 pm

Woah, really? I guess it's not so surprising, since some Canadian VAs I'm familiar with sound a lot like their characters.

I don't see what's so creepy about it, though, unless you guys are scared of a real-life dub-Asuka walking around. Image

Funny thing about Grant is, she likes Asuka and will sometimes cosplay as her.

*not responsible for any trauma caused by this post*

Originally posted on: 15-Mar-2004, 00:25 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:36 pm

Fuzzy Chickens wrote:You're joking, right? Oh dear God tell me you're joking!

Nope. Watch the English cast interview on the Raxephon Orchestration 6 DVD.

And just in case you ever had any Misato fanboy fantasies, Alison Keith also makes her appearance.

Incisivis wrote:I don't see what's so creepy about it, though, unless you guys are scared of a real-life dub-Asuka walking around.

Actually, yes I am. And she is.

Incisivis wrote:Funny thing about Grant is, she likes Asuka and will sometimes cosplay as her.

I don't think that link works, but anyone who cares to see such evil things has only to cruise her official site.

Originally posted on: 15-Mar-2004, 09:42 GMT

SeannyB [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SeannyB [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:36 pm

yeah. It's all true.

Tiffany Grant was dressed up as Asuka at one of the recent AnimeCentral conventions (chicago area). She was real annoying, cuz she carries this really fake enthusiasm and she can't stop talking. From what I remember anyway.

Originally posted on: 15-Mar-2004, 09:56 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:36 pm

thx3876 wrote:Nope. Watch the English cast interview on the Raxephon Orchestration 6 DVD.

Okay, now I have a reason to buy more RahXephon

Actually, yes I am. And she is.

Peh. Image Asuka is Asuka, and always scary. I only use such absurdities as "dub-Asuka" to see what would happen. (This is what happens when midterms and essays hit you at the same time, folks)

I don't think that link works, but anyone who cares to see such evil things has only to cruise her official site.

But, is it such a thing any worse than what other fans have produced? I thought it was kind of funny, actually....

Originally posted on: 16-Mar-2004, 00:17 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:36 pm

SeannyB wrote:Tiffany Grant was dressed up as Asuka at one of the recent AnimeCentral conventions (chicago area). She was real annoying, cuz she carries this really fake enthusiasm and she can't stop talking.
Awww... Tiffany Grants fangirlishness is what I find most endearing about her. And its not fake enthusiasm, believe me. If I may share a personal encounter with her with you.

I attended the ADV panel at Otakon this past year, and I took the opportunity to ask her for permission to archive her "In defense of Asuka" essay on my site. Later, after the panel, I went to the dealer's room, and she came up to me with this generic brown paper bag. So she opens it up and pulls out an Eva 02 model and puts it up to her face, and peeks over top of it at me and says "lookie what I got!" in this very cute childish kind of way.

She's anything but fake, she has the enthusiasm I wish many people in the industry had, because she quite literaly LOVES her job. And some day, I hope to have that kind of enthusiasm about what I do professionally.

Originally posted on: 23-Mar-2004, 20:18 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:37 pm

Phony or not, I'd still rather listen to nails being grinded down a chalkboard than her Asuka voice work.

Originally posted on: 23-Mar-2004, 10:07 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:37 pm

I never once doubted Tiffany Grant's enthusiasm. It's her and her husband's knowledge and understanding of EVA that is in doubt and the operative point in this discussion. If they had any clue at all to what the point of EVA was, they wouldn't try to remove the story from it's Japanese setting or internationalise ::cough:: Americanise it.

We desperately need an influx of ideas and information from others cultures in the US. Taking a significantly Japanese story and Americanising it is artistically pointless. And if they are so concerned with making something that appeals to a broad US audience, they should choose another "mecha" style anime or just come up with an original story that does.

Originally posted on: 23-Mar-2004, 11:45 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:37 pm

thx3876 wrote:If they had any clue at all to what the point of EVA was, they wouldn't try to remove the story from it's Japanese setting or internationalise ::cough:: Americanise it.
Take it from someone who has gone over every piece of pre-production materials with a fine toothed comb. They haven't changed anything. The preliminary script they wrote is nothing more than a frame work, and any director brought on board would have the creative autonomy to adapt the story as they see fit. And if you're referring to the "slug names" you would know that those aren't what the characters will actually be named, they were merely placeholders that sounded better than Character A, and Character B.

http://www.evamonkey.com/em_liveaction.php
http://eva.trivialbeing.net/

Read up on the project before you go and insult people working hard to create something for you that they think you would enjoy. I am no great fan of ADV, but don't go and speak badly of someone when you don't even know the facts.

Originally posted on: 23-Mar-2004, 18:28 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:37 pm

thx3876 wrote:We desperately need an influx of ideas and information from others cultures in the US.

Are you serious? America is the most multicultural (God I hate that term) country in the world, and one who says other wise is kidding them selves. I walk down the street and can eat at a Chinese restaurant, a stake house, or have Mexican all on the same block. Walk into a music store I see rap music, Latin music, country music, classical European music, that new age stuff, all covering the shelves. And hello? Where are most of the people on this forum from?

The idea that America is the Great Wall of China of ideas from other cultures is nonsense some short sighted fool keeps trying to shove down all our throats. The majority of our culture is European influenced, but look at the rest of the world, they have accepted the European way of life as well.

And eh…Sorry for the rant. Back to the movie. -o-;

Originally posted on: 23-Mar-2004, 19:02 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:37 pm

I agree, anyone who thinks North America (Particularly the US) is too homogenous needs a kick in the head.

BTW, I love diversity.

Originally posted on: 23-Mar-2004, 19:09 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:37 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:And if you're referring to the "slug names" you would know that those aren't what the characters will actually be named, they were merely placeholders that sounded better than Character A, and Character B.

This might be a stupid question, but why didn't they use the real names then? Or is this some bizarre Hollywood convention that I haven't heard of? Like if there's a new Batman-movie coming up, the concept art pictures depicting the hero call him Sir Elton John? It makes just as much sense to me.

Originally posted on: 23-Mar-2004, 19:34 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”