The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Set_Abominae [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Set_Abominae [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:54 pm

Set_Abominae wrote:Some of you are really overracting, especially when you know absolutely nothing about the movie besides some of the 'current' designs for suits and mecha.

Those are hardly character designs, just plug suit designs with some broad in them that bares a resemblance to the characters.

I also doubt the characters could have any more annoying personalities as real people than they could animated.

While this project might every well fail, none of you really know even a fraction about the movie and sure as hell not enough to get so damn hysterical over it.

I'm not a big Eva fan, I just really hate when people presume too damn much about things they know nothing about.

I'm going to keep quoting this until a little sense is regained (or gained) in this thread. You people do even know who is directing it.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 14:37 GMT

bishounen wannabe [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bishounen wannabe [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:54 pm

thanks man, cool link.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 15:28 GMT

Zack_theIceMan [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zack_theIceMan [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:54 pm

Now, remember everybody, a movies EARLIEST concept art will ALWAYS make it into the final film. What you see now is EXACTLY how it will appear on screen. <End>

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 17:11 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:55 pm

Set_Abominae wrote:I'm going to keep quoting this until a little sense is regained (or gained) in this thread. You people do even know who is directing it.

That's a sign of arrogance. I think we'll talk about whatever we want, regardless of your reservations about guessing at what something may become based on what it currently is.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 17:53 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:55 pm

My favorite comment so far in response to these new L.A.EVA pix (from another forum):
Somebody call Mike Nelson because we have a B-movie.

"This is about how much pure cocaine you would need to enjoy this movie"- Mike Nelson, MST3K.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 18:08 GMT

Bolo [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Bolo [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:55 pm

Set_Abominae wrote:I'm going to keep quoting this until a little sense is regained (or gained) in this thread. You people do even know who is directing it.

Well Hollywood has been failing me for many years now in the department of creativity. And this movie does little to help it.

While it is to early to tell and make judgements on a movie thats not even in production yet, the very fact thats its going to compress 26 episodes and two full length movies into ONE full length movie is something to be nervous about. It'll take nothing more than a miracle to pull this movie off.

Hell, i'm not even a big EVA fan and I don't like the very thought of this movie being made at all.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 18:25 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:55 pm

Bolo wrote:Well Hollywood has been failing me for many years now in the department of creativity.

Seconded. Remember what they did to First Contact! :bawling: Remember how The Sum of All Fears was bastardized! :smash: Image Remember Spawn! :dead:

And most importantly, remember G-Saviour!!! Image -o-;

But, kicking and screaming aside - Bolo, that's the best avatar ever.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 18:44 GMT

Kagerou [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kagerou [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:55 pm

Onaa-Kenkaku wrote:Ugh, the angel was changed and who the hell is Kate Rose?! if she's replacing Asuka I'm gonna flip. Eva's don't look like Eva's, ..... I'll see it cause I'm an Eva freak, but it's gonna be horrid.

Evas look almost exactly like Evas, but since we aren't in the anime medium anymore, they're going to be more detailed and thus probably new concept art. Oh no! They have toes. Freak.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 18:53 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:55 pm

Kagerou wrote:Evas look almost exactly like Evas, but since we aren't in the anime medium anymore, they're going to be more detailed and thus probably new concept art. Oh no! They have toes. Freak.

Well, as Reichu once pointed out, having toes is not an advantage for the Eva. It'd be hindering the Evangelion's mobility to have those crazy toes on there. (I beleive she said that the Evangelions do have toes, but have a metal boat/shoe so that they will move better) I wouldn't say that's more realistic.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 19:08 GMT

sys2021 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sys2021 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:55 pm

*sigh* seems like Hollywood is trying to do more than they can... if they're going to make this movie, they can't target a mainstream audience. Most of the people who will be seeing this is most likely going to be fans of the anime, so it would make sense to stay faithful to the original designs. I really don't like how the Evas look more organic, when the "armor" is supposed to be... ya know.... well I don't want to spoil anything if you haven't seen the series.

Hollywood has definitely bit off more than they can chew. The EVA movie, based on the designs, seems to be focused a lot on the "monsters of the week". Who knows if they are even going to touch up on the issues in the last few episodes, or EoE/Death+Rebirth.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 19:11 GMT

Kagerou [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kagerou [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:56 pm

Lets compare the two, shall we?

WETA Concept Art:

Eva Series:

Okay, we'll deal with the head in a moment. Lets just look at the body right now, the first thing I see is that the concept art is a lot more detailed. This is concept art, its most likely going to be more detailed just to get everything out in the air, I'd imagine the original designs of the EVAs were more detailed than the look of the series. The EVAs in the series aren't really as detailed, this is just because of the anime style and technology at the time, really good detail wasn't its thing, but this isn't anime anymore, this is a movie. Live-action, and in real life things are more detailed, therefor the EVAs are going to become more detailed. The next big thing is the flash of yellow at it's feet. Yes, this is new. They've taken away the boot aspect of the EVA's and have more of a sandal look on this one. Not a real big deal. They also appear a bit more gaunty and slim. This makes it look more organic, and I think they're going for that.

Head time.

WETA Concept Art:

Series:

Once more, I have to say the WETA concept art is more detailed. I think its a pretty good alteration of it, keeps the same general details, the one eye, the round jewel on the forehead, the big chin, and keeps it all in the general same area. The gray has seemed to gone away. Yes, his mouth is agape in that concept, and it looks a little scary. Please don't cry.

Remember, this is just ADV and WETA trying to stir up some interest, once they get a director, depending upon their view of Evangelion, they're going to work with WETA most likely, and alter these. These are like first version concept art, they're going to change many many times. Hopefully, we'll get a director who likes the series and keeps things true and nice.

And if the feet are bugging you so much, just don't look at them. Maybe they're change later.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 19:18 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:56 pm

Kagerou wrote:Hopefully, we'll get a director who likes the series and keeps things true and nice.

0-9 system, anyone? Image

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 19:24 GMT

Kagerou [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kagerou [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:56 pm

I still like the movie too, it was a failure to the public, but I think it did better with the fans, but it is the cool thing to do to hate it.

It did have a flakey storyline though...

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 19:30 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:56 pm

Kagerou wrote:I still like the movie too, it was a failure to the public, but I think it did better with the fans, but it is the cool thing to do to hate it.

Anyone who hates something because it's "the cool thing to do" gets the raspberry from me. Image

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 21:30 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:56 pm

Kagerou wrote:I'd imagine the original designs of the EVAs were more detailed than the look of the series. The EVAs in the series aren't really as detailed, this is just because of the anime style and technology at the time,

Ikuto Yamashita's Eva design process is covered rather nicely in Sore o Nasumono: Shin Seiki Evangelion Concept Design Works[/u]. At one point where the Evas are recognizable (but noticeably different from the final design), they are considerably more detailed in the sense of the armor being bulkier and having more robotic touches. They're gradually slimmed down to the point where they look virtually the same as in the anime, except that the arms have some additional crap attached to them that's not there in the final designs.

At no point does the armor have a sinewy organic look to it -- after all, its only real purpose is to disguise the fact that the Evas are organic creatures, isn't it? Image So they've got smooth, mechanical plating that articulates with itself in a practical way. (Too bad John Howe isn't working with WETA on the NGE stuff -- he's anal about that sort of thing.) As I've said before, there's nothing really practical about what WETA's cooked up.(BTW, if anyone wants scans from the book, you only need ask.)

They've taken away the boot aspect of the EVA's and have more of a sandal look on this one. Not a real big deal.

Well, from a practicality (I just love that word) viewpoint, it is. Evas have very large, very human feet. They're expected to pull of all sorts of athletic manuevers. If you needed to run, kick, jump, and somersault, which would you rather have -- sneakers or sandals? It makes far much more sense to encase the entire foot into a shoe with adequate support than to have the toes (which, for some reason, WETA has reduced to four...) individually armored. From my point of view, anyway.

And, yes, Evas DO have toes:

Yes, his mouth is agape in that concept

Psst... If you're not going to call the Evas "its" like most people do, at least identify them by their spiritual gender. Thank you.

Also, considering that the morphology of the Evas' heads is supposed to take after a human skull (with some modifications), the EVA-00 head concept you highlighted is dangerously off. I don't even want to think about how the mandible articulates on that thing...

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 21:58 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:57 pm

I thought the Eva designs were actually pretty similar to the series, most of the body is similar, only major difference I see between the two is the head and the feet...let's see how it was change later on. I worried more about the character's design, they look really bad compared to the series.

Originally posted on: 19-Jan-2004, 00:27 GMT

Chrono [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Chrono [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:57 pm

thx3876 wrote:I agree with Kagerou. There's no telling how this thing is gonna (and it will) turn out.

I for one hate the Final Fantasy video games, but I love the movie.
Haha, it's the exact opposite with me. I love the games, but absolutely can't stand the movie (can't stand the anime either)

Originally posted on: 19-Jan-2004, 03:29 GMT

Kagerou [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kagerou [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:57 pm

The robotic plates are actually used to keep the Evangelions under control, to do their bidding, its their restraints, but they do hide the fact that they're organic.

Originally posted on: 19-Jan-2004, 05:01 GMT

elfwannabe [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby elfwannabe [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:57 pm

what else has WETA done besides LotR and some "Frighteners" movie. (i don't know what it's actually called, so don't shoot me.)

Originally posted on: 19-Jan-2004, 05:24 GMT

The fly [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The fly [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:58 pm

Kate rose is one fo the costume designers for the movie

Originally posted on: 19-Jan-2004, 05:49 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”