The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:31 pm

Reichu wrote:Um... no. Those pictures have the character designers' names right on them, and they're not "Ray", "Susan", or "Kate".

How surprising that there are more complaints about the Lilim than the Evas. Image

Well... the Lilim look a lot worse than the evas do. Especially "Misato" *ugh*

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 04:37 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:31 pm

not me, but I liked the idea. what's wrong with Blacks or latinos?

I agree. If they're going to change all the names and make them non-Japanese Characters, they might as well make it a multi-national and multi-racial cast.

Icarus is the son of Daedalus a great engineer who was imprisoned in a huge tower on an island for some reason. Daedelus created wax wings so that he and his son could escape. He warned his son not to fly to close to the sun because his wings would melt, but the boy didn't heed his father and flew too high which melted the wings, he fell to earth and drowned.

I knew the fable, I just couldn't remember the culural origin of the name itself.

(On a semi-related topic: Iron Maiden has a song called "The Flight of Icarus" about the myth)

Maiden fan, GandalfsWhisper?

I always liked "Rime of the Ancient Mariner."

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 05:54 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:32 pm

thx3876 wrote:Maiden fan, GandalfsWhisper?

I always liked "Rime of the Ancient Mariner."

Indeed I am. "Rime" is an awesome song, the way they adapted the original poem was exellent.

anyway... back to the LAEM

I actually like the picture of Ramiel, but the rest of it sucks.

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 06:11 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:32 pm

How surprising that there are more complaints about the Lilim than the Evas.

That's because the EVAs look fine. It's the Lilim characters they're messing up on. Hopefully the actors don't look as bad (or old) as the concept models look.

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 06:11 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:32 pm

thx3876 wrote:That's because the EVAs look fine. It's the Lilim characters they're messing up on. Hopefully the actors don't look as bad (or old) as the concept models look.

Well, the person who fits the concept design for Misato is probably workin' some busy street in Hollywood trying to get enough cash for her next "fix."

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 06:17 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:32 pm

Caine wrote:not me, but I liked the idea.

Somebody likes my crazy idea! W00t! I thought that since they're going to have to remove all religious references anyway, they might as well replace them with vague Greek/Roman mythological crap. Thus the evil aliens might use giant war machines called "Titans" and Lilith could be called... Aww, what was the name of the dude who was tied on a big rock and whose innards were eaten by seagulls on a daily basis? Whatever, I'm going to shut myself up because I'm making myself sick.

But do read the comments that the readers of aintitcoolnews have left! Hot damn there are some good ones! Image
(teh link, again: http://www.aintitcool.com/tb_displa...id=16790#721410 )
So WTF is Evangelion? Looks like a cross between "A.I." and the Transformers.

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 20:07 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:33 pm

Whoever did that awful Joan Jett looking picture of Misato needs to have their Crayolas taken away.

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 09:53 GMT

felineki [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby felineki [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:33 pm

thx3876 wrote:That's because the EVAs look fine.

Ha..... ha ha...... ha......

ha.....

You're not serious, are you?

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 16:30 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:33 pm

SeannyB wrote:in case somebody missed this:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16790

several new preprod artworks

I feel sick..... or should I say, you're disgusting? ("you're" being the guys or girls that drew that stuff)

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 16:43 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:33 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Somebody likes my crazy idea! W00t! I thought that since they're going to have to remove all religious references anyway, they might as well replace them with vague Greek/Roman mythological crap. Thus the evil aliens might use giant war machines called "Titans" and Lilith could be called... Aww, what was the name of the dude who was tied on a big rock and whose innards were eaten by seagulls on a daily basis? Whatever, I'm going to shut myself up because I'm making myself sick.

"Titans" instead of "angels"? Hey, it JUST might work...

That was Prometheus who was eaten by a vulture (not a seagull) every day. So I guess that would mean goodbye to the red cross, the stigmata, and the seven-eyed mask, eh?

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 17:27 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:33 pm

kamidake90 wrote:Well there is some good that will come out of this, all of the Eva fans out there will now understand a Gundam fan's distress when referring to Wing.

Don't tar everything with the same brush. I like Wing and UC. Image

And, demmit, at least your guys' favorites get some representation in that concept art. Grr.

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 17:43 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:33 pm

Incisivis wrote:And, demmit, at least your guys' favorites get some representation in that concept art. Grr.

You mean, you actually WANT to see Shinji and Kaworu get visually defiled by the hand of WETA? You should be feeling awfully lucky they haven't released anything regarding those two yet. ;;p

As far as all you folks who think the Evas "look fine" or, even worse, "look great" -- all I can do is solemnly shake my head in pity. tey look liek teh CRAP!!!!11

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 17:48 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:34 pm

Well, if they replaced Chrisitian symbolisom with Greek/Roman symbolism the name "Evangelion" wouldn't make much sense, they could call it "Titianian" or "Zeuselion" or "Olympion."

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 19:53 GMT

elfwannabe [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby elfwannabe [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:34 pm

i've been trying to support this movie from the start, but WETA is making it increasingly harder. the name changes are stupid, and i haven't even seen Shinji's new name. im guessing that whithall is supposed to be Misato. the evas and nerv look really cool, but the city doesn't look anything like tokyo 3. i neeed to get the new dvd and see that interview. or someone could tell us what is says.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 08:02 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:34 pm

Seeing as how this project doesn't even have a director or producer, none of these designs or character names can be considered final.

Even Matt Greenfield (Head of ADV and current producer of LAEM) has said that the initial scriptment (that includes said name changes) is more than likely to be changed once a director and studio get involved.

Let's hope he can find someone with more of a clue than him to creatively spearhead this project.

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 22:44 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:34 pm

You mean, you actually WANT to see Shinji and Kaworu get visually defiled by the hand of WETA? You should be feeling awfully lucky they haven't released anything regarding those two yet. ;;p

I don't think we're going to see anything on Kaworu unless this goes to a third movie.

As far as all you folks who think the Evas "look fine" or, even worse, "look great" -- all I can do is solemnly shake my head in pity. tey look liek teh CRAP!!!!11

Well, they don't exactly look quite as good as Ikuto Yamshita's original designs and the "toes" do indeed kind of bother me. But other than the name and age change of the characters, I see nothing to get excited about.

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 22:54 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:34 pm

Reichu wrote:As far as all you folks who think the Evas "look fine" or, even worse, "look great" -- all I can do is solemnly shake my head in pity. tey look liek teh CRAP!!!!11

They don't look "fine." They just couldn't be used as a key elelment in the summoning of Beelzebub, unlike the Lilim concept drawings which could be used as the ONLY element in the summoning of Beezlebub.

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 23:08 GMT

NeonProdigy [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NeonProdigy [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:34 pm

Hey, I could direct it! Yes, I can see it now(starts to daydream). No name changes! Make the city look like it does in the anime, leave the EVA's alone, but who to play as Rei and Asuka (NOT Hillary Duff, :scared: )?

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 23:56 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:35 pm

GandalfsWhisper wrote:They don't look "fine." They just couldn't be used as a key elelment in the summoning of Beelzebub, unlike the Lilim concept drawings which could be used as the ONLY element in the summoning of Beezlebub.

Perhaps a more accurate comparison would be this:

Weta's Evas: Summon Beelzebub
Weta's Lilim: Summon Sammael himself

Sammael being the One True Name of Hell's head honcho (don't buy into that "Satan" or, even worse, "Lucifer" nonsense Image), and Beelzebub being one of his many subordinates.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 00:07 GMT

Fenikkusu [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fenikkusu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:35 pm

I know that a lot of people have been fighting over weither there is going to be a live action Eva, so when I found these pictures, I thought it may help a little. Check out the site! It contains some of the preliminary sketches. Animenation has a link in the news section, http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16790

Enjoy!

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 00:46 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”