The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:35 pm

Smetimes other people are much more of a danger *coughjacksoncough*.

It isn't guaranteed, nothing in life is, but most of them do seem to fit in.

Originally posted on: 10-Jan-2004, 15:56 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:35 pm

Traitor.

If you're calling me a traitor, I think you need to look in the mirror. Anyone who calls themselves a Star Wars fan and doesn't fully support the entire saga equaly is the true traitor.

The books are nothing but a minor distraction that don't reflect George Lucas' [genious] true vision for Star Wars. The movies are what defines Star Wars and if you don't like Episodes 1 & 2, then you are not a Star Wars fan because they are true Star Wars canon.

Originally posted on: 10-Jan-2004, 19:27 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:35 pm

thx3876 wrote:If you're calling me a traitor, I think you need to look in the mirror. Anyone who calls themselves a Star Wars fan and doesn't fully support the entire saga equaly is the true traitor.

The books are nothing but a minor distraction that don't reflect George Lucas' [genious] true vision for Star Wars. The movies are what defines Star Wars and if you don't like Episodes 1 & 2, then you are not a Star Wars fan because they are true Star Wars canon.

No, I'm saying traitor, as in the name of the book.

They are so damn genius that they suck. the originals were good, the new ones aren't. The new books are better than the new movies. I consider Episode 1 the greatest joke in Star Wars. I also consider it the greatest insult to Star Wars. Quality is all that matters, not wheter or not Lucas wrote the thing.

Originally posted on: 10-Jan-2004, 19:41 GMT

Chibi Assassin [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Chibi Assassin [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:35 pm

thx3876 wrote:If you're calling me a traitor, I think you need to look in the mirror. Anyone who calls themselves a Star Wars fan and doesn't fully support the entire saga equaly is the true traitor.

Oh, come now. That's just silly. A person has to like EVERY single part of a series or they're not a true fan? Who the heck decided that? So...OK. I love X-Files, but there's a certain epiosde I just hate. I'm also not fond of the last couple seasons. And....that makes me a traitor? I guess I'd better toss out my videos and my T-shirt and my old Scully Halloween costume then, because obviously I'm not a true fan.
I'm sorry, but there are no rules to being a fan of something. You either like something or you don't. Why try to make it anything more?
It's OK to like the original movies and not the new ones. Really it is. I for one am not going to be brainwashed into thinking: "But it's Star Wars! Of course it's great!"

Originally posted on: 11-Jan-2004, 02:07 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:36 pm

No, I'm saying traitor, as in the name of the book.

I stopped reading EU novels a couple of years back, so I didn't know what you were talking about at first. You might want to try posting in complete sentances next time so I can understand what you are trying to say.

It's OK to like the original movies and not the new ones. Really it is. I for one am not going to be brainwashed into thinking: "But it's Star Wars! Of course it's great!"

Everything you said in that statement is absolutely correct. If you don't like Episodes 1 & 2, fine. But if you like the EU novels better, that just means that you don't like Star Wars, you like another persons interpetation of Star Wars and you're probably a closet Trekkie who needs to convert and get it overwith.

As someone who has read many rough drafts of the original Star Wars film, I can tell you that the characters and themes in the prequels are a lot closer to Lucas' vision than what he was able to acomplish with the classic trilogy. The original trilogy suffers from inconsistancies in the overall story because each movie was written one at a time without knowing where it would lead. The prequels, on the other hand, were planned out ahead of time and were shot knowing what was going to happen from one part to the next.

Originally posted on: 11-Jan-2004, 06:04 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:36 pm

thx3876 wrote:Everything you said in that statement is absolutely correct. If you don't like Episodes 1 & 2, fine. But if you like the EU novels better, that just means that you don't like Star Wars, you like another persons interpetation of Star Wars and you're probably a closet Trekkie who needs to convert and get it overwith.

There's a gray area bettween love and hate, if someone doesn't like eps 1 & 2 they simply don't like that part of the series. For example I'm not wild about the first 13 eps of Eva but I still consider myself to be an eva fan.

Originally posted on: 11-Jan-2004, 06:10 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:36 pm

thx3876 wrote:As someone who has read many rough drafts of the original Star Wars film, I can tell you that the characters and themes in the prequels are a lot closer to Lucas' vision than what he was able to acomplish with the classic trilogy. The original trilogy suffers from inconsistancies in the overall story because each movie was written one at a time without knowing where it would lead. The prequels, on the other hand, were planned out ahead of time and were shot knowing what was going to happen from one part to the next.

Maybe the trilogy was done better than episodes 1&2. After all, most people liked the trilogy better than Episodes 1&2.

"Everything you said in that statement is absolutely correct. If you don't like Episodes 1 & 2, fine. But if you like the EU novels better, that just means that you don't like Star Wars, you like another persons interpetation of Star Wars and you're probably a closet Trekkie who needs to convert and get it overwith."

Did you mistype that, or do you say that because i like EU better than Episodes 1&2 I don't like Star Wars.

Star wars is pretty much the only sci-fi that i have any interest in.

Originally posted on: 13-Jan-2004, 00:30 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:36 pm

Did you mistype that, or do you say that because i like EU better than Episodes 1&2 I don't like Star Wars.

That's exactly what I meant. The films are the definative vision of Star Wars, the EU is not. Don't get me wrong, I totaly respect your opinion. It's just that what you like is not the true Star Wars and the film saga (including Episodes 1 & 2) are.

Star wars is pretty much the only sci-fi that i have any interest in.

Actualy, as I have stated before, Star Wars is not science fiction. It is a mythological tale spun from the same yarn as Lord Of The Rings or the legend of King Aurther. The sci fi elements are only aesthetic in nature and don't carry over into the story as they would in true science fiction like Star Trek or Evangelion.

Originally posted on: 13-Jan-2004, 02:27 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:36 pm

thx3876 wrote:Actualy, as I have stated before, Star Wars is not science fiction. It is a mythological tale spun from the same yarn as Lord Of The Rings or the legend of King Aurther. The sci fi elements are only aesthetic in nature and don't carry over into the story as they would in true science fiction like Star Trek or Evangelion.

@,@

What you are saying is that Star Wars is not science fiction, and that the Death Star, Light Sabers, X Wings, & AT-AT Walkers affect the story less than the technology used in Evangelion?

Science fiction = fictional depiction of advanced science. Regardless of the fact that Star Wars occurs in a pre-Earth time period, like Middle Earth in The Lord of the Rings, it is as science fiction as one can get, what with it's extreme use of high tehchnology to depict a highly advanced technological world that is the very essence of nearly every setting the story is put into.

Originally posted on: 13-Jan-2004, 02:41 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:36 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:Regardless of the fact that Star Wars occurs in a pre-Earth time period, like Middle Earth in The Lord of the Rings,

I have heard people make this claim before. I have seen Star Wars countless times, and I don't remember anything leading me to belive it was set in the past (Minus that "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" thing. I just assume that is someone telling a story after it happened, rather than fitting into our past time line). I mean, why would humans throw away all of there technology and return to Earth, with no history of their past space traveling ways?

As for the definition of science fiction.

Main Entry: science fiction
Function: noun
Date: 1851
: fiction dealing principally with the impact of actual or imagined science on society or individuals or having a scientific factor as an essential orienting component

Originally posted on: 13-Jan-2004, 03:29 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:37 pm

What you are saying is that Star Wars is not science fiction, and that the Death Star, Light Sabers, X Wings, & AT-AT Walkers affect the story less than the technology used in Evangelion?

Yes, this is exactly what I am saying. The AT-AT walkers could just as easily been oliphants, lightsabers are just really fancy swords, and the Death Star could just as easily been the tower of Barrad-Dur. Science has absolutely no bearing on the story at all.

Science fiction is about science. Science plays a very large role in the events of Evangelion. Not so in Star Wars. George Lucas himself has stated many times that Star Wars is a fantasy tale dressed up in the superficial trappings of 30's comic space operas like Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers.

Originally posted on: 13-Jan-2004, 04:11 GMT

Hankoubou [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hankoubou [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:37 pm

I'm lost,when did this become a Star Wars discussion???

Originally posted on: 13-Jan-2004, 04:21 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:37 pm

thx3876 is correct. Star Wars is Fantasy, not science fiction. It deals with the romantic themes consistantly found in fantasy stories (Resucing a princess, an ancient group of powerful beings, the war between good and evil)

My friend "Landy" describes Star Wars as the kind of fantasy humans would write if we lived our lives inside of interstellar space ships.

Originally posted on: 13-Jan-2004, 04:23 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:37 pm

Spike Spiegel64 wrote:I'm lost,when did this become a Star Wars discussion???

about 20 pages after it became a LotR discussion Image

Originally posted on: 13-Jan-2004, 04:24 GMT

NeonProdigy [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NeonProdigy [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:37 pm

OK, the rumor is that their may be a live action movie of Neon Genesis Evangelion in the works. This thread is for you to post who should play which characters, or how they'll do some scenes from the show, etc.

basically, POST AWAY!!!

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 00:26 GMT

Levon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Levon [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:37 pm

http://animenation.net/forums/showt...threadid=107556

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 00:28 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:37 pm

They should definetly recreate some of the classic scenes of the series, I don't align with the beleif that they should "take the inspiration of Evangelion and create something completely new." I'd definetly like to see everything with the Touji being a pilot scenario, that was powerful stuff. Plus, granted that they don't got too post apocolyptic on us (I'd hate that) I'd like to see the scene where Asuka & Rei interact for the first time, though it's gotta be sunny and cheerful out, no black skies of pain.

See ya in the Evangelion forum... (unless this just gets deleted. That or merged)

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 00:31 GMT

chocho [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby chocho [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:37 pm

they'll ruin it.

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 01:14 GMT

BeyonderZ [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BeyonderZ [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:38 pm

Here is a crazy Idea.... how about this movie NEVER GETS MADE... that would be the best thing to happen... what moron really thinks a Live Action Evangelion movie would be in any way shape or form any thing but a vomit bag of dubbie love.

:evil:

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 01:16 GMT

Li Shouron18 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Li Shouron18 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:38 pm

c'mon people lets stick to the subject which was the.....uh..(its been awhile since we've spoke of it)...oh yea! evangleion the live action movie.

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 02:30 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”