The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:32 pm

Caine wrote:What was good about Episode 1?

If we're going to talk about Star Wars... Image I've overall been quite disappointed with the prequels, though there are a couple of worthwhile moments. For one thing, they've introduced the term "padawan" into the vernacular, and that's such a fun word I use it as often as humanly possible. And there are a couple of worthwhile quotes, like "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent" and "Why do I get the feeling that we've picked up another pathetic life form?"

Mostly, though, the dialogue is damn fun to make fun of, which holds equally true for Episode II.

Originally posted on: 09-Jan-2004, 19:36 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:32 pm

Just about every movie I've seen has had some good quotes.

2 hours of wasted time, but 3 good quotes. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Originally posted on: 09-Jan-2004, 21:59 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:32 pm

The only difference between the new Star Wars movies and the old ones is the age at which you first viewed them (and the special FX, of course). The dialouge in the original Star Wars films was every bit as cheesy. Time has merely given a golden sheen on the classics.

In fact, except for Jar-Jar, I would say that the newer Star Wars movies are better than the old ones. They are far superior in context of storytelling, theme, & filmmaking in general.

Originally posted on: 09-Jan-2004, 22:02 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:32 pm

thx3876 wrote:The only difference between the new Star Wars movies and the old ones is the age at which you first viewed them (and the special FX, of course). The dialouge in the original Star Wars films was every bit as cheesy. Time has merely given a golden sheen on the classics.

In fact, except for Jar-Jar, I would say that the newer Star Wars movies are better than the old ones. They are far superior in context of storytelling, theme, & filmmaking in general.

5 questions

What are you on?

Where do you get it?

How much does it cost?

Do you have to steal to get the money?

Or do they let people in insane asylums use computers with internet access?

Originally posted on: 09-Jan-2004, 22:04 GMT

Gaizokubanou [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gaizokubanou [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:32 pm

"The only difference between the new Star Wars movies and the old ones is the age at which you first viewed them (and the special FX, of course). The dialouge in the original Star Wars films was every bit as cheesy. Time has merely given a golden sheen on the classics.

In fact, except for Jar-Jar, I would say that the newer Star Wars movies are better than the old ones. They are far superior in context of storytelling, theme, & filmmaking in general."

I wouldn't say that it was the age of the viewers that are the factor here, since when Star Wars first came out it was a hit even among older audience. I think it would make more sense if you said the time the movie came out matters, because back than all the stuff in Star Wars was so original and ground breaking, whild new Star Wars does feature updated effects they are much more common now and the concepts in the movies are also out dated. But I personally think new Star Wars are inferior since they failed to expand the existing universe; instead they barely hung on to it and abused it for quick cash.

Originally posted on: 09-Jan-2004, 23:01 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:32 pm

A bit extreme, Caine. A bit extreme.

thx3876 wrote:The only difference between the new Star Wars movies and the old ones is the age at which you first viewed them (and the special FX, of course). The dialouge in the original Star Wars films was every bit as cheesy. Time has merely given a golden sheen on the classics.

Yes and no. After being disappointed by I and II, I did go back and rewatch the originals with a more objective viewpoint than usual. Yes, a lot of the dialogue was cheesy. Yes, there was some silly/unnecessary stuff. But I do think that the limitations the special FX of the day posed upon Lucas kept the original films somewhat more focused. The visuals that were there were important, but just as much of the films were carried by the characterization and plot.

I feel considerably more emotionally invested in IV~VI than I do with I and II when I watch them. I and II seem to go out of their way to dazzle our eyes and, at the same time, make me groan with a deluge of pointless visual gags and attempts at "humor". C3PO, while an amusing but loveable annoyance in IV~VI, falls to the abysmal levels of Disney-esque "comic relief" in II. It might have gotten some chuckles out of little kids and fans of hackneyed puns, but all I could ask myself is, "So when does it end!?"

Speaking of C3PO... I personally think Lucas also goes out of his way to make references to IV~VI, all at the expense of the prequels' integrity. Sure, it's nice to see some of our "old friends" again, but do they really need to be there? And doesn't a lot of the information in IV~VI pretty much indicate that they SHOULDN'T be?

Plus I'm boggled by the combination of exquisite design work... and lamentable flops. The Trade Federation aliens and Boss Nass never cease to make me cringe. At the same time, a lot of great design work is put to complete waste -- I like the way Jar-Jar looks, but that's about the only nice thing I can say about him.

They are far superior in context of storytelling, theme, & filmmaking in general.

I'd need to hear some compelling arguments before I would let myself believe that, though feel free to try. This "Live-Action Evangelion" thread is more or less a free-for-all, anyway.

Originally posted on: 09-Jan-2004, 23:18 GMT

SeannyB [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SeannyB [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:33 pm

the new Star Wars lack the spirit and homemade-ness of the old. Stylistically, they just don't meet at all.

and by "spirit" I mean they seem to lack a vision, or an objective. It feels like the product of someone trying and failing to please the masses' expectations of "star wars". They fly from one cliche to the next seemingly without purpose. It doesn't come together to make an interesting journey... rather a bunch of needless and disjointed starwars-esqe scenes with absurd (but misguided) production value.

And the characters are so bland and/or crappily written, there's no motivation for me to care for their adventures.

Originally posted on: 09-Jan-2004, 23:28 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:33 pm

SeannyB wrote:the new Star Wars lack the spirit and homemade-ness of the old. Stylistically, they just don't meet at all.

and by "spirit" I mean they seem to lack a vision, or an objective. It feels like the product of someone trying and failing to please the masses' expectations of "star wars". They fly from one cliche to the next seemingly without purpose. It doesn't come together to make an interesting journey... rather a bunch of needless and disjointed starwars-esqe scenes with absurd (but misguided) production value.

And the characters are so bland and/or crappily written, there's no motivation for me to care for their adventures.

Granted I do enjoy the new Star Wars movies, but I think you're definetly right. For one thing, so much occured in the Star Wars movies, they where stand alone projects in themselves, Episode I & II seem more fragmented, not much really changed from the start after the end of one of them. I did go back and rewatch the original trilogy a couple of weeks ago, and there may be a few cheezy lines, but most of it is well done and in good taste, I didn't overrate them to myself.

Originally posted on: 09-Jan-2004, 23:39 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:33 pm

It's lik the Matrix. One was great, but reloaded and revolutions lacked the same...newness. there was no initiative or anything. Nothing new, and was it just me, or was the source a take off of the Force?

Originally posted on: 10-Jan-2004, 00:43 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Caine wrote:It's lik the Matrix. One was great, but reloaded and revolutions lacked the same...newness. there was no initiative or anything. Nothing new, and was it just me, or was the source a take off of the Force?

Good point, but I think the source was something seperate from the force. I guess it could be the same thing, but I tend to think that "the source" is an actual entity of some sort.

Originally posted on: 10-Jan-2004, 00:45 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:33 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:Good point, but I think the source was something seperate from the force. I guess it could be the same thing, but I tend to think that "the source" is an actual entity of some sort.

Read Star Wars books. Then maybe you might read one where people trust in the force, as if it were, *gasp* an entity,

Originally posted on: 10-Jan-2004, 00:50 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Caine wrote:Read Star Wars books. Then maybe you might read one where people trust in the force, as if it were, *gasp* an entity,

I don't know anything about Star Wars books, though I do recall Reichu reffering to them as fan-fic in nature... so you're saying that someone could potentially go and talk to the force, even kill it if possible?

Originally posted on: 10-Jan-2004, 00:59 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:33 pm

Read Star Wars books. Then maybe you might read one where people trust in the force, as if it were, *gasp* an entity,

No. Do not read the Star Wars books if you want to know what The Force is all about. Read the Star Wars EU novels if you wish to waste your time with half-@$$ wanna-be Star Trek type science fiction. The Star Wars books are not considered canon and most of them barely fit in with the continuality of the movie saga.

It's lik the Matrix. One was great, but reloaded and revolutions lacked the same...newness. there was no initiative or anything. Nothing new, and was it just me, or was the source a take off of the Force?

The first Matrix was great? Sure the special effects were really cool and quite innovative, but the story was lacking even in the first film.

Originally posted on: 10-Jan-2004, 01:58 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:34 pm

I know quite a few people who though that the first Matrix was an excellent film.

Barely fit the story? Maybe the story has progressed a bit. Thee are how many books? Some of the books were quite good. Traitor was excellent if you want to think. I consider your statements an insult to Star Wars. Have you read any of the books? if so, which ones? there are some bad ones out there.

I don't think the Source came across as killable. You could kill the force, technically. You can impede it. And many Jedi claim to listen to the Force.

Originally posted on: 10-Jan-2004, 03:39 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:34 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:I don't know anything about Star Wars books, though I do recall Reichu reffering to them as fan-fic in nature...

That actually wasn't me, though that IS all the Star Wars books really are -- fanfiction that has the benefit of being "official merchandise", but not part of the official canon.

Interesting how this thread's suddenly shifted gears into "Star Wars" land...

Originally posted on: 10-Jan-2004, 04:30 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:34 pm

Interesting how this thread's suddenly shifted gears into "Star Wars" land...

Swear to God . It wasn't my fault! :???:

Someone else put that worm in the water. I just came along and bit down hard.

I consider your statements an insult to Star Wars. Have you read any of the books? if so, which ones? there are some bad ones out there.

I've read many: too numerous to list. They all have their good points, but unfortunately most EU authors tend to write science fiction stories and Star Wars is not sopposed to be about science fiction. It's a mythology.

Originally posted on: 10-Jan-2004, 04:55 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:34 pm

thx3876 wrote:Someone else put that worm in the water. I just came along and bit down hard.

Something about the way you put that is extraordinarily quotable...

but unfortunately most EU authors tend to write science fiction stories and Star Wars is not sopposed to be about science fiction. It's a mythology.

"EU"?

Originally posted on: 10-Jan-2004, 05:14 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:34 pm

"EU"?

EU = Expanded Universe

i.e., anything that is not canon in the Star Wars franchise. (which is pretty much everything except the movies)

Originally posted on: 10-Jan-2004, 06:25 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:35 pm

Traitor. That isn't much Sci-Fi, that's philosophy.

I brought up Star wars.

If they're OFFICIAL, I say they have some credibility. Some are bad, of course, but many are good.

Originally posted on: 10-Jan-2004, 14:17 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:35 pm

Caine wrote:If they're OFFICIAL, I say they have some credibility.

Something being "official" doesn't guarantee its credibility or quality. For example, Tom Clancy himself worked as an executive producer for the movie version of The Sum of All Fears, thus managing to ***-invade his own book in a very nasty manner. Sometimes even the creators can be threat to their own stories.

Originally posted on: 10-Jan-2004, 15:06 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”