The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Pepperidge [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Pepperidge [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:25 pm

What about people who waited until right before the films came out to read the books? Image;;

Originally posted on: 07-Jan-2004, 06:45 GMT

evasivemanuvers [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby evasivemanuvers [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:26 pm

Depression wrote:Why stop at 2 when trilogies are all the rave these days =\

Trilogies suck ***

Originally posted on: 07-Jan-2004, 06:57 GMT

sys2021 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sys2021 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:26 pm

evasivemanuvers wrote:Trilogies suck ***
Uh, granted lately trilogies seem to be the rage, but there are quite a number of good trilogies out there. As for the bad ones... let's see.... The Matrix stands out in my mind, and possibly the American Pie series....

Personally, I don't care about the EVA live action movie. If it ever comes out, I'll definitely see it, but I could care less if it's ever made. Already Death & Rebirth and EoE have been made and released, so I'm satisfied. Unless the live action movie is done perfectly, I can't see the movie doing anything but detract from the series as a whole.

Originally posted on: 07-Jan-2004, 07:53 GMT

Hybrid Shock [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hybrid Shock [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:26 pm

I don't think it should be split...

Hell, i don't think it should even be made at all... Hollywood would destroy the work and effort (and the emotional trama) by Anno-sensei in making Evangelion what it is today....

Originally posted on: 07-Jan-2004, 11:01 GMT

Depression [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Depression [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:27 pm

And where exactly do you see me saying trilogies ARE good? I was just simply stating the fact that there are quite a few movie series that are or become trilogies as of late.

I just think that you would be watching a very condensed version of Eva at 2 movies if not one.

Originally posted on: 07-Jan-2004, 11:08 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:27 pm

Ah yes, we all know that telling a story in three parts makes it inherintly bad Image

Originally posted on: 07-Jan-2004, 15:07 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:27 pm

GandalfsWhisper wrote:Ah yes, we all know that telling a story in three parts makes it inherintly bad Image

Well you got to admit lately they seem to want to make everything into a trilogy (Or at lest a sequel). whether it is necessary or not.

As for the LOTR movies, for almost 8 years I had no one to talk to those wonderful books about. However the movies have sparked the interest of many of my friends and associates to read the books, and now we have great discussions. I am quite pleased they made the movies, and made them (In my opinion) about as good as you can get to the books.

Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 08:18 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:27 pm

tv33 wrote:Well you got to admit lately they seem to want to make everything into a trilogy (Or at lest a sequel). whether it is necessary or not.

LotR probably originated the current fad of producing one huge-@$$ movie and releasing it as three separate ones, perhaps because it demonstrated that doing so can actually be feasible in the long run and opened up the possibilities for other movie makers.

As far as "unnecessary" sequels, these have been happening for decades. If there is a perceived "demand" for more of the same, most movie makers will provide, regardless of whether the story in the original is good and done. Whereas, on the other hand, a lot of movies will set themselves up to be continued and never achieve that goal (e.g., the U.S. "Godzilla" and the live-action "Super Mario Bros."). Why some bad movies carry on for sequel upon sequel and others don't is beyond me, though.

Originally posted on: 07-Jan-2004, 21:12 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:28 pm

Reichu wrote:As far as "unnecessary" sequels, these have been happening for decades.

I am well aware of that, but in 2003 I belive something like 28 big budget sequel were released into theaters. Far more than any other year. I don't really want this to become a trend. One of the things I hate about TV is how they drag good shows out too long (And there are precious few good shows). The X Files is one of my favorite shows ever, but the last three or so seasons were terrible in my opinion. This happens with a good many shows.

That is one of the reasons I like Anime. Besides being a fan of fantasy entertainment, I like shows that end when they should, as most anime is one or a half season long.

Originally posted on: 07-Jan-2004, 21:22 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:28 pm

tv33 wrote:Well you got to admit lately they seem to want to make everything into a trilogy (Or at lest a sequel). whether it is necessary or not.

Trilogies are the current "fad" but that doesn't make them all really bad.

Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 01:14 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:28 pm

tv33 wrote:The X Files is one of my favorite shows ever, but the last three or so seasons were terrible in my opinion. This happens with a good many shows.

Yeah, what was up with that last episode... I mean... granted I didn't know the context 'cause I hadn't watched in a few seasons but...

Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 01:23 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:28 pm

I stopped watching the X-files after season six (or more accuratly the begining of season 7 ImageImage, I just knew it would keep spiraling down so I stopped watching it and because of that I have no memories of the few terribly done seasons.

Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 01:47 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:28 pm

Trilogies and sequels.

The Good: Star Wars: A New Hope, Star Wars: The Empire Stikes Back, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.

The Bad: Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 02:34 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:29 pm

Star Wars isn't a trilogy or a pair of trilogies for that matter. It is a saga. You are stepping on my turf on that one, buddy. So you can't win with me on the subject of Star Wars.

btw, All the Star Wars movies are great. Love 'em all or leave 'em, pal!

Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 03:39 GMT

Chibi Assassin [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Chibi Assassin [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:29 pm

Bleah. I gotta agree with Caine on the Star Wars issue. I've been watching Star Wars since I was little, and I was so looking forward to Episode I. To me it turned out to be a huge let down. Episode 2 even moreso. At least in the original three films, the people could act.

Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 04:57 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:29 pm

The acting styles are exactly the same in every single Star Wars movie. And they are acting in a specific style derived from 30's Saturday afternoon matinees, Film Noir, & the Golden age of Hollywood. It is technicly not bad acting because they are doing exactly what the director wants and doing it rather well.

Obviously not everyone likes Star Wars, but at least know what you are talking about before bashing it.

Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 06:39 GMT

elfwannabe [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby elfwannabe [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:30 pm

thx3876 wrote:but at least know what you are talking about before bashing it.

wow. that line seems like it fits this thread so very, very well

Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 22:37 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:30 pm

thx3876 wrote:Uh, because writing fan-fiction is fun and it's a great way to practice your writing skills. (if I actualy have any)

I have a couple of original ideas in the back of my head, but I just don't feel I have the skill yet to do the ideas justice. Writing a few fan-fics would be very helpfull for me to get the ball rolling so to speak.

Writing a good fan-fic is hard, much harder than writing an original story of your own. Writing a good Eva-fan-fic is insanely hard. When you're writing your own story you can just pull stuff out of your arse when you want to, there is no restrictions whatsoever. But when writing a fan-fic, there is a certain framework you must follow. The more detailed and fleshed out the original work is, the stricter this framework is - and I think everybody agrees with me that Eva is one of the top works of science fiction in this sense of overall depth. It has extremely complicated character interactions and technical jibba-jabba. The storyline has lots of unsolved mysteries, about which a fan-fic writer has to make many more-or-less-educated quesses, not to mention that the fans of the original tend to be raving obsessive-compulsive lunatics like me (ra-ta-ta, yo). And of course there are several other traps where a careless writer may fall, but I don't think I can talk about those without starting a merciless Eva-R bashing, and this is not a proper thread for that.
My point is, if you want to write a good fan-fic, especially a serious fan-fic, you must rock as a writer otherwise. But on the other hand, if you rock as a writer, why waste your time writing fan-fics when there's a whole world of original, unused ideas out there? I'm sorry if I insulted someone's feelings with my opinions, but I believe that if you have no faith in your own writing you should stay away from fan-fic -making too. Remember, criticism always comes, sooner or later.

In other news, I too think that we could stop drawing these parallels between LOTR-trilogy and this unlikely-to-happen LA-Eva. I'm not the expert of the subject, but I've heard Peter Jackson wanted to direct the trilogy because he is a huge fan of the orginal work. LOTR-movies are director's movies: Jackson had to fight against producers and other pod people to defend his vision, and the films prevailed because he kept his control during the whole process. Although I don't really think highly about the movies (overhyped, IMO), I respect mr. Jackson for succeeding in an almost impossible task: creating a massive book-to-movie remake that doesn't suck the way such projects almost by definition do.
But the live-action Eva (or, more correctly the Happy New Wave Robot Extravaganza 17) is not a director's movie. There is no director yet. Actually, there isn't really anything at all, besides a bunch of reality-estranged ADV-execs sitting in an office and throwing ideas around.

ADV goonie #1: "I'm bored!"
ADV goonie #2: "Me too. This work isn't intellectually stimulating."
ADV goonie #1: "I have an idea! Let's make a movie! A live-action anime movie!"
ADV goonie #3: "Oh my god, that's the best idea ever! A live-action Speed Racer!!!"
ADV goonie #1: "Eh, I was thinking more about Evangelion..."
ADV goonie #2: "Cool! You know, my sister knows a guy who is a good friend of Joel Schumacher..."
ADV goonie #3: "Can we get our names in ending credits?!?"
ADV goonie #1: "Naturally. I already have official project positions for all of us, even for Billy-Bob. Billy-Bob, you're going to be the head of the quality control."
Billy-Bob: "Awesome. Let me just finish photoshopping these dc-covers... there!"
ADV goonie #1: "And while you're added, call Amanda Winn Lee. We need a technical advisor too."
tv33 wrote:The X Files is one of my favorite shows ever, but the last three or so seasons were terrible in my opinion. This happens with a good many shows.

This is so terribly true. After the movie the show went to hell. Shame on you, Chris Carter! SHAME!!1!

Originally posted on: 09-Jan-2004, 00:02 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:32 pm

Writing a good fan-fic is hard, much harder than writing an original story of your own. Writing a good Eva-fan-fic is insanely hard. When you're writing your own story you can just pull stuff out of your arse when you want to, there is no restrictions whatsoever. But when writing a fan-fic, there is a certain framework you must follow. The more detailed and fleshed out the original work is, the stricter this framework is -

But if you are able to take one aspect of the original work and go a different direction with something, then you can avoid those pitfalls altogether. I personaly don't have any goals of being a writer. Most of my dreams lie in being involved in digital video editing or sound recording.

Also Nick, I wasn't offended at all at your critisism. Although I do kind of wonder about whomever that was that claimed my male physiology lacked a certain portion of the reproductive organ.

Originally posted on: 09-Jan-2004, 04:01 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:32 pm

What was good about Episode 1?

2 was decent, but couldn't live up to the name of Star Wars

Originally posted on: 09-Jan-2004, 19:00 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”