The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:59 pm

Caine wrote:Something has finely happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

So his this actually real, will this be in the movie? Will her name really be changed?

I don't think Rei's name will be changed (just reversed), but I *did* have a crazy wacked out dream where there was some kind of a new Evangelion series, not a continiution or a live action movie, but a cartoon network made recreation that they where showing at night (but not on Adult Swim) and it scared the crap out of me... and then I went on the website and aparently Rei's name had been changed to Aecia.... I hope that doesn't actually happen, but that "Rei" is terrible enough to give me nightmares I guess...

Originally posted on: 22-Dec-2003, 21:49 GMT

Painkiller [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Painkiller [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:59 pm

Does anyone have the live pictures that came in anime insider? If you do, pleeeeease put em up.

Originally posted on: 23-Dec-2003, 06:53 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:59 pm

Gato wrote:actually... I like the whole toe thing on Eva 00...

Oh dear... o_O;

From the standpoint of functionality, I find it terribly silly. The Evas' original footwear is designed sort of like giant sneakers, with the appropriate padding and support. If your toes are sticking out like that, it probably won't be too long before you have to find a good pediatrist (which might be kind of hard if your foot is the size of a school bus...).

Originally posted on: 23-Dec-2003, 16:15 GMT

elfwannabe [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby elfwannabe [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:59 pm

Caine wrote:Some details don't matter. As I said, the Middle-Earth that I know cannot have arrows that involve plastic. The arrows in the movie do. I don't care. That was directed at Reichu, who noted how much attention they payed to detail. I care about the fact that The Sword That Was Broken has barely been mentioned. Aragorn was supposed to argue about whether or not he should let Theoden's guards take it. As far as I know, he doesn't even have it in the movie. I would maybe add that in. Other things I would like include Samwise being given the soil, and people going back to the Shire. Stuff like that. Maybe put in Tom Bombardil for five minutes. That's the type of stuff that I want.

dude, as much as i loved tom, he was one of the most unessential charaters in the story. he was mentioned for about three chapters in a part of the book that seemed to drag on for much longer than it needed to. and what they did with arragorn worked. as much as you would have loved to see the Sword earlier, making that one alteration would have required a major scrpit change in which much of the debate between elrond and arwen would have had to be placed in the first movie and dragged it down. that WOULD have put people to sleep. i didn't like arwen to begin with, so adding more of her into that first movie would have been unbearble. it would have screwed with the pacing of the movie so much. the pacing they set arragorn at worked; he was a different person at the end of the movies than he was at the beginning. that was one point they stressed in the documentaries of the second film that you don't seem to want to be bothered with: every person has to have a dynamic element to their personality or else they become boring, hwich is why the made faramir into the person you see on screen. the sword was the climax in arragorn's change as aperson, if they put that part in the first movie, that dynamic element is lost. watch the extra's of the extended version of "The Two Towers", then come to me with relevant points rather than the whining you seem to like.

and are you people seriously going to complain about some teeth and toes? are you nuts? that is an awesome design!! granted Rei does look different, but ill wait to pass judgement until i see how this new Rei will play out in the script.

Originally posted on: 23-Dec-2003, 19:40 GMT

SeannyB [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SeannyB [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:59 pm

I think the stringy muscular is a bit overdone. I like the old design of (one of the manga interviews put it) "power constrained". This one is just arrr I'm a monstarr, but it could've been much worse for sure :)

but I was "yuck"ing to Rei Ayanamiare over there. Ayanamaire?? lol!! Who are they trying to fool here? It's not Japanese or European anymore... it's just a mess of a name. The facial design is very newskool Squaresoft style (I dislike), but I guess such a thing isn't very important until they cast an actual person play the new Rei Ayanam......iare

Originally posted on: 23-Dec-2003, 21:14 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:59 pm

I have to say "Urgh" to the redesigned EVA-00. One of the things I liked about that design was its simplicity when compared to the later units. The redesign takes out what I liked about it.

Originally posted on: 23-Dec-2003, 21:45 GMT

Mog [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mog [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:00 pm

:bawling: Oh god! They're realy gonna make this movie! I thought it was all a joke.:complain: How can this be! The evas look stupid and weak.:scared: Is there no god. Why ADV!? WHY?:twitch: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! !!!!:boom:

Originally posted on: 23-Dec-2003, 22:18 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:00 pm

elfwannabe wrote:dude, as much as i loved tom, he was one of the most unessential charaters in the story. he was mentioned for about three chapters in a part of the book that seemed to drag on for much longer than it needed to. and what they did with arragorn worked. as much as you would have loved to see the Sword earlier, making that one alteration would have required a major scrpit change in which much of the debate between elrond and arwen would have had to be placed in the first movie and dragged it down. that WOULD have put people to sleep. i didn't like arwen to begin with, so adding more of her into that first movie would have been unbearble. it would have screwed with the pacing of the movie so much. the pacing they set arragorn at worked; he was a different person at the end of the movies than he was at the beginning. that was one point they stressed in the documentaries of the second film that you don't seem to want to be bothered with: every person has to have a dynamic element to their personality or else they become boring, hwich is why the made faramir into the person you see on screen. the sword was the climax in arragorn's change as aperson, if they put that part in the first movie, that dynamic element is lost. watch the extra's of the extended version of "The Two Towers", then come to me with relevant points rather than the whining you seem to like.

and are you people seriously going to complain about some teeth and toes? are you nuts? that is an awesome design!! granted Rei does look different, but ill wait to pass judgement until i see how this new Rei will play out in the script.

yes, he was unnesential, but he did add much. He was a different character that was unique, and the chapters that he was in were tedious, but they mattered. Pacing, have you seen The Return of the King? That movie isn't well paced, and the Shire scenes would have helped. Read my other posts, the ones where I say that I don't have the DVDs. to the thing about changing how the characters are, who else changed a lot. Not Gimli, he changed once, and that was early on, not really Legolas, gandalf didn't change the way he should have. I too hate Arwen, why not cut her, because she was in many unnecassary scenes.

The design is cool, the original is just better. I still maintain that this will not happen.

Originally posted on: 23-Dec-2003, 23:42 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:00 pm

While Tom Bombadil may not have been Legolas or Merry, but he was still an outstanding character, and is usually cited for his importance in the fact that he was not affected by the Ring of Power, even when he put it on. That's an incredible feat, not just for the time period they where living in, but for the history of Middle Earth as a whole.

As for the redesigning... why shouldn't we complain? The terrors of what could and what should never be have been flustering around in my subconcious ever since I had that cartoon network dream. The fact that they are so willy-nilly uncaring and ready to change whatever they want for no reason, and to actually less logical sense (as Reichu pointed out) tells me that this movie, though it could be awsome, is already on the track to the worst possible scenario. If Rei looks like that girl from the Spirits Within movie (as Sean pointed out, she sort of does right now) all is lost pretty much... but you're right, the real judgement has to be reserved until more starts to happen, and we see the movie (if it gets made), but I see no reason not to panic now; after all, if we do panic now, and the movie turns out okay, we'll enjoy it more, or atleast I will. If I expect this to be the best possible adaption of EVA to movie live action, I will probably end up crying, but since it already seems like we're going down a grim trail, if it does turn out to be the best possible adaption, it's not like I'll enjoy it any less.

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 03:12 GMT

Kiyone [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kiyone [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:01 pm

I stand by my position that, until they announce who's footing the bill and which film studio they've partnered with, it will never get made. What WETA's doing for them is preliminary art and a demo reel or two to show to the investors and studios. It's pointless worrying about it at this point.

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 06:30 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:01 pm

Before anyone gets thier panties in a bunch, take a look at these Ralph McQuarrie concept paintings for the original Star Wars movie.

here The guy on the left is supposed to be Obi-wan Kenobi. (looked pretty different in the actual movie, didn't he)

here Does anyone remember Stormtroopers having lightsabers (or shields for that matter) in the finished movie? No, because concept art is just that; concept.

edit : I tried to just post the images themselves, but it just wasn't working for me.

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 14:31 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:01 pm

thx3876 wrote:concept art is just that; concept.

Well, of course. Planning ahead is a key element in the design process -- you have to throw around a lot of bad and halfbaked ideas before you hit gold. (That is, unless you're an inspired genius every time you put your pencil to paper, but even good designs can be made better.) However, since WETA is not keeping all of this preliminary work hidden from our eyes until after the fact, for NGE fans to panic is only natural. We don't know what the final design is going to be, but the concept illustrations are the only idea of the direction they're heading in that we have at this point. And, by all indications, they're going to make my beautiful Evas F-U-G-L-Y. :bawling:

(Not that I consider the original designs perfect in any way. What do I look like, a fangirl? Image)

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 17:00 GMT

elfwannabe [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby elfwannabe [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:01 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:While Tom Bombadil may not have been Legolas or Merry, but he was still an outstanding character, and is usually cited for his importance in the fact that he was not affected by the Ring of Power, even when he put it on. That's an incredible feat, not just for the time period they where living in, but for the history of Middle Earth as a whole.

As for the redesigning... why shouldn't we complain? The terrors of what could and what should never be have been flustering around in my subconcious ever since I had that cartoon network dream. The fact that they are so willy-nilly uncaring and ready to change whatever they want for no reason, and to actually less logical sense (as Reichu pointed out) tells me that this movie, though it could be awsome, is already on the track to the worst possible scenario. If Rei looks like that girl from the Spirits Within movie (as Sean pointed out, she sort of does right now) all is lost pretty much... but you're right, the real judgement has to be reserved until more starts to happen, and we see the movie (if it gets made), but I see no reason not to panic now; after all, if we do panic now, and the movie turns out okay, we'll enjoy it more, or atleast I will. If I expect this to be the best possible adaption of EVA to movie live action, I will probably end up crying, but since it already seems like we're going down a grim trail, if it does turn out to be the best possible adaption, it's not like I'll enjoy it any less.

but putting tom in the movie would have ruined the whole effect the ring possessed. if you show a character that is completely unaffected by the ring, you strip the ring of all power. the same thing happened with faramir when he was not tempted by the ring. they had to change that so as to make his character dynamic.

i will agree that the new Rei is too 'pretty' (for lack of a better word). i don't like her. but i think the eva looks really good. the old designs were great, but thay were simplistic in terms of movie standards. more detail has to be put in in order for the images to hold up on a sixty-foot screen. and i think it's good that they're redesigning things; this is now their movie, and just like they did with LotR, they have to reinvision things in order to solidify this project as theirs. although it would benice to see some of the original artists on the design team like how they got Lee and Howe for LotR.

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 18:00 GMT

UberDirector [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby UberDirector [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:01 pm

Everyone needs to just take a chill pill.

... Save the anger for the time when a trailer gets released.... the unleash the hounds of hell. I'm not growing any ulcers until then.

....oh... and anyone who disagrees with the pilots being 17 or 18 doesn't get EVA and should give more thought to why the age of 14 was chosen.

.....and unit 00's new look..........

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 18:01 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:01 pm

UberDirector wrote:Everyone needs to just take a chill pill.

... Save the anger for the time when a trailer gets released.... the unleash the hounds of hell. I'm not growing any ulcers until then.

....oh... and anyone who disagrees with the pilots being 17 or 18 doesn't get EVA and should give more thought to why the age of 14 was chosen.

.....and unit 00's new look..........
I'm not sure where you're coming from; are you for or against the pilots being 17-18? I certainly agree that the age of 14 was chosen for an important reason, which is why they shouldn't tamper with it...

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 18:06 GMT

UberDirector [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby UberDirector [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:02 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:I'm not sure where you're coming from; are you for or against the pilots being 17-18? I certainly agree that the age of 14 was chosen for an important reason, which is why they shouldn't tamper with it...
No, for an American release, the ages most certainly should be moved to 17 or 18. It's a cultural relevance issue. In order for the characters to be faced with the same issues they need to be moved to a different age. In Japan, children face the issues of adulthood much sooner, fourteen to be exact, where as American children don't have the same expectations and responsabilities heaped on them for several more years. If the movie is to be understood by the general American, the age needs to be moved up.

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 18:10 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:02 pm

UberDirector wrote:No, for an American release, the ages most certainly should be moved to 17 or 18. It's a cultural relevance issue. In order for the characters to be faced with the same issues they need to be moved to a different age. In Japan, children face the issues of adulthood much sooner, fourteen to be exact, where as American children don't have the same expectations and responsabilities heaped on them for several more years. If the movie is to be understood by the general American, the age needs to be moved up.
I dunno... Picture the scene in Magma Diver, when Asuka wags her boobies in Shinji's face and sez "Do you think, if I warmed my breasts up, they would expand?"; for a fourteen y/o Shinji to get red in the face and say "What would I know of such things?!" kinda makes sense, but if an eighteen y/o Shinji said that, everyone in the audience would be rolling their eyes and saying "God! What a loser!!"...

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 18:22 GMT

elfwannabe [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby elfwannabe [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:02 pm

and also, the stiff that the 14-year-old eva kids do, could not be don be 14-year-olds in an american movies. i cite the above mentioned "boobie" reference. it wouldn't happen. the only part that srcaes me is that most of the 14-year-olds i know today actually DO have boobs that big.

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 18:25 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:02 pm

UberDirector wrote:In Japan, children face the issues of adulthood much sooner, fourteen to be exact, where as American children don't have the same expectations and responsabilities heaped on them for several more years.

I agree with this. I mean, when is the last time you saw a 14 year old American child saving the world with his giant robot? That kind of stuff usually doesn't happen in America until they are old enough to drink.

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 18:26 GMT

UberDirector [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby UberDirector [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:02 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:....but if an eighteen y/o Shinji said that, everyone in the audience would be rolling their eyes and saying "God! What a loser!!"...
What's different about that and the standard reaction to 14 year old Shinji?

.... but really, let's examine something. Age of consent in Japan....14. Coincedence? I think not.

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 18:28 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”