The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:55 pm

Do you think Eva is going to feel groovy anymore when they've cut out the religious crap, insanity, sexual frustrations and blood?

What makes you think that these aspects would be absent from a live-action version? Remember that The Matrix is an R-rated sci-fi/action film that has done quite well for itself at the box office. While The Matrix has nowhere near the depth of Evangelion, it shows that you don't have to PG-up a movie for audiences to accept it. Sure a lot of the things you mentioned would not be handled exactly as they are in the animation, but there are other ways of expressing the same ideas in less graphic terms that could get the same point across.

And for your amusement, here's reason #488 why this live action project is simply impossible: NGE is too gay.

As much as I hate to bring up LOTR once again, you could say the same thing about the Frodo/Samwise relationship. I hear people making jokes about this all the time. Some have gone as far as to assume Tolkien was a closet gay. None of this has hurt that franchise has it?

Originally posted on: 04-Dec-2003, 00:28 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:55 pm

thx3876 wrote:As much as I hate to bring up LOTR once again, you could say the same thing about the Frodo/Samwise relationship. I hear people making jokes about this all the time. Some have gone as far as to assume Tolkien was a closet gay. None of this has hurt that franchise has it?

Well, those are just narrow-minded people who, for some reason, don't think two males can have an intimate friendship without being homosexual, which is a load of nonsense. [Though if Samwise WAS actually gay, he expressed reaction formation to the extreme (e.g., thirteen children with Rosie)!]

Originally posted on: 04-Dec-2003, 00:36 GMT

Gaizokubanou [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gaizokubanou [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:56 pm

"How is not using whities "limiting [your] resources by a lot"? You need Asians to satisfy the look of Japanese characters who are no longer conforming to the anime style, which, by nature, makes people race-neutral in appearance (except for the rare occasions when a character is designed to stress their ethnicity). Movie-makers almost always cast for looks at least in part. Assuming that Tokyo-3 will still be in Japan and the principal cast is still composed of Japanese people, the "casting by looks" principal should still apply. Just to give a silly example, Mike Myers has played a Japanese dude on SNL, but I doubt he'd be cast for a big-budget film like NGE to play a Japanese dude."

Why can't you see that if NGE is turned into a movie it has to throw away the Japanese logics//ties and adapt western style for it to succeed... RAR Everyone here is talking like they are going to keep the original names and etc., but that would cause sales disastor, cause that doesn't interest the majority. They probably won't even set the setting to "tokyo" since not many people in USA relate themselves to it. The Japanese setting and names worked in anime, but it won't in live action. RAR

Originally posted on: 04-Dec-2003, 04:51 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:56 pm

Gaizokubanou wrote:Why can't you see that if NGE is turned into a movie it has to throw away the Japanese logics//ties and adapt western style for it to succeed... RAR Everyone here is talking like they are going to keep the original names and etc., but that would cause sales disastor, cause that doesn't interest the majority. They probably won't even set the setting to "tokyo" since not many people in USA relate themselves to it. The Japanese setting and names worked in anime, but it won't in live action. RAR

What's with all the RARing? You're basing your viewpoint solely on simplifications and generalizations on what the US populace supposedly "wants". Much of Hollywood uses the same formulaic approach to mass-produce movies that are almost guaranteed to draw in enough movie-goers to make a profit, no matter how crappy they are, but not all of Hollywood limits itself to creating such offal. Not following the "Assembly Line Blockbuster" approach does NOT doom a movie to failure. If the movie has it where it counts, critical approval and word of mouth recommendation can often overcome a supposed lack of "majority interest". Complete and utter "Americanization" is not a prerequisite for a film to be accepted in this country.

And, honestly... Do you WANT NGE:TM to be mediocre filth? I sure as hell don't.

Originally posted on: 04-Dec-2003, 07:13 GMT

Gaizokubanou [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gaizokubanou [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:56 pm

"Complete and utter "Americanization" is not a prerequisite for a film to be accepted in this country."

of course not, but complete utter original "Japanese" version is also not fit for film material either.

"critical approval and word of mouth recommendation can often overcome a supposed lack of "majority interest""

Art work wise yes, money wise no.
Without majority's approvement it'll be known as garbage, and review of few people itself don't sell movies too much.

Perhaps I did go too far as saying "Americanized", but it really should get out form "Japanized" version, to more "international".

Oh and...

RARARARAR

Originally posted on: 05-Dec-2003, 06:08 GMT

Vash_Bebop666 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Vash_Bebop666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:56 pm

I think the movie might be decent simply because the WETA workshop is building it. I mean come on people thse are the guys who built everything for the lord of the rings movies. and I dont know for sure how much money they are getting but GAINAX is supposed to be paying for the whole thing. I read that in a magazine.Plus, who ever said it was gonna come to america?

Originally posted on: 05-Dec-2003, 12:05 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:56 pm

who ever said it was gonna come to america?

This project is a co-production from GAINAX & ADV films. I seriously doubt a company in the US (ADV) would put up money and effort for a movie that will only be released in Japanese theaters.

Originally posted on: 05-Dec-2003, 22:21 GMT

elfwannabe [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby elfwannabe [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:56 pm

does anyone want to take on the task of cliffnoting the last 8 pages for me? what is the movie's subtitle?

Originally posted on: 08-Dec-2003, 02:09 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

elfwannabe wrote:what is the movie's subtitle?

"Giant Wetas From Outer Space".

Just kidding. The movie doesn't even have an official TITLE yet, let alone a subtitle.

Originally posted on: 08-Dec-2003, 06:11 GMT

felineki [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby felineki [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:56 pm

Reichu wrote:"Giant Wetas From Outer Space".

Just kidding. The movie doesn't even have an official TITLE yet, let alone a subtitle.

Heh, I'm the one who told you what a Weta was... glad too see that you've been able to incorporate it into your humor so quickly. Image

Originally posted on: 08-Dec-2003, 12:36 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

felineki wrote:Heh, I'm the one who told you what a Weta was... glad too see that you've been able to incorporate it into your humor so quickly. Image

Hey 'ki! (Psst... and happy belated birthday, while I'm at it.) After you told me about the mutant Kiwi Land grasshoppers, I learned even more about them from the bonus materials on the "Lord of the Rings" extended DVDs. Weird-looking things! Evidently, they scare the bejeezus out of director Peter Jackson... Image

Originally posted on: 08-Dec-2003, 14:06 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:56 pm

Vash_Bebop666 wrote:I think the movie might be decent simply because the WETA workshop is building it. I mean come on people thse are the guys who built everything for the lord of the rings movies. and I dont know for sure how much money they are getting but GAINAX is supposed to be paying for the whole thing. I read that in a magazine.Plus, who ever said it was gonna come to america?

In my opinion, involvemeny in LOTR movies is not good. Some of what Jackson did is unforgiveable.

Originally posted on: 11-Dec-2003, 03:08 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:56 pm

Caine wrote:In my opinion, involvemeny in LOTR movies is not good. Some of what Jackson did is unforgiveable.

I agree entirely, however WETA's only envolvement is in the special effects area of the project (and LotR's visual effects were amazing).

Originally posted on: 11-Dec-2003, 03:15 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm

Caine wrote:In my opinion, involvemeny in LOTR movies is not good. Some of what Jackson did is unforgiveable.

Bah! People need to lay of Jackson. I think he did it better than any other director I can think of would have. Imagine if Michel Bay did it! :scared:

I personally love the movies. But no movie will probably ever be able to come close to the original books, but that is because of the nature of movies vs the nature of books.

Originally posted on: 11-Dec-2003, 03:17 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm

tv33 wrote:Bah! People need to lay of Jackson. I think he did it better than any other director I can think of would have. Imagine if Michel Bay did it! :scared:

Who's he?

But I agree, Jackson doesn't deserve the griping a small handful of fans are giving him. The people producing the movie are passionate about what they're doing, and their respect for the original material is genuine. As the producers themselves have pointed out, however, truncation and change in a book-->movie adaptation is inevitable. There's no real way around it. Quit complaining and just enjoy the films for what they are. Image

I personally love the movies. But no movie will probably ever be able to come close to the original books, but that is because of the nature of movies vs the nature of books.

As do I. I still haven't managed to get through the original books, but I've long been a fan of Tolkien-based art, and in that respect the movies are a dream come true. Jackson and company did well to get Howe and Lee on the design team, very well indeed.

Back to the main subject... WETA's involvement in NGE:TM doesn't have any implications beyond the special effects. They alone can't make the movie good, because visuals alone don't make a film. (Well, there might be some exceptions, but sci-fi extravaganzas probably aren't among them.)

Originally posted on: 11-Dec-2003, 03:33 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm

Reichu wrote:Who's he?

He is responsible for such abominations as, BAD BOYS, BAD BOYS II, PEARL HARBOR, PUPPET MASTERS ect...

Originally posted on: 11-Dec-2003, 04:09 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm

tv33 wrote:He is responsible for such abominations as, BAD BOYS, BAD BOYS II, PEARL HARBOR, PUPPET MASTERS ect...

Wat doo u meen? thos moovees were teh l33t.

Originally posted on: 11-Dec-2003, 04:18 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm

Reichu wrote:Who's he?

But I agree, Jackson doesn't deserve the griping a small handful of fans are giving him. The people producing the movie are passionate about what they're doing, and their respect for the original material is genuine. As the producers themselves have pointed out, however, truncation and change in a book-->movie adaptation is inevitable. There's no real way around it. Quit complaining and just enjoy the films for what they are. Image

The way he has done it shows no liking for the original. There are better ways.He cuts out certain stuf I can see no reasonable justification for getting rid of. Like subplots. He kills everything besides battles and main stuff. If you want griping, I can gripe as well as anybody. I see flaws that nobody else points out, but that's because they don't matter. But the sword, it doesn't seem to exist!!

Originally posted on: 12-Dec-2003, 03:22 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm

Caine wrote:The way he has done it shows no liking for the original. There are better ways.

Well, buy up the rights and make your own movie adaptation if you think you can do better. Image

And exactly how does the extensive amount of detail given to the atmosphere of Middle Earth in the movies show "no liking for the original"? Not to mention any accusation that Jackson is not incredibly fond of the original material is simply unfounded. If you watch the commentaries, Jackson, Walsh, and Boyens explain why they've made the changes they have. It's not of disregard for Tolkien -- it boils down to tough decisions that must be made in the process of adaptation. Subplots end up going because they're just that -- SUBplots. This is a three-part theatrical release, not a multi-season TV series. Have realistic expectations.

Originally posted on: 12-Dec-2003, 03:40 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm

I don't own the DVD. It is hard to listen to commentaries on something that i don't have.

I don't like how he could add, maybe three minutes of time to add in some stuff that belongs. Don't give me detail. Details, unimportant ones, are where the mistakes that i don't care about are. The arrows could not have existed in the Middle-Earth that I know. If you pay careful attention, they do have plastic. I don't care, but you apparently do and you happen to be incorrect.

Three more minutes in each movie is not too much, as they are all considered to be very long movies by most people. I could be wrong, but three minutes doesn't seem to be asking for much. Nor is nine, or even the friggin Fifteen, that's right 15 minutes that I want to be added to the whole entire series. Do you think that fifteen more minutes would make the trilogy too long?

My expectations are realistic, what I want is not. The 15 minutes is actually not as much as i want. It's as much as I think is realistic.

Originally posted on: 13-Dec-2003, 03:28 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”