The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:53 pm

Gundam_08 wrote:Keanu Reeves could make an okay Kaji. He just needs to learn how to act.

I never thought I'd say this, but Winona Ryder is a little too pale to play Rei.

Haha.. score!

Originally posted on: 01-Dec-2003, 17:28 GMT

Radio_Free_Mars [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Radio_Free_Mars [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:53 pm

personaly I would switch Reeves, with Connery. Dude it could work, and hes definely more of a Kaji kinda guy, then "Neo".

Originally posted on: 01-Dec-2003, 22:27 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:54 pm

Cripes, if this movie ever DOES get made, I hope like mad they get a bunch of unknowns to play the parts rather than the typical Hollywood talent. Preferably, a bunch of unknowns of Asian (or at least part-Asian) pedigree.

Originally posted on: 02-Dec-2003, 00:04 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:54 pm

Reichu wrote:Cripes, if this movie ever DOES get made, I hope like mad they get a bunch of unknowns to play the parts rather than the typical Hollywood talent.

The down fall of that might be they are unknown because they suck.

Though I agree, if say Connery, for example played Keel. I would not see old man Lorenz, I would see Connery. That would sort of ruin things.

Reichu wrote:Preferably, a bunch of unknowns of Asian (or at least part-Asian) [b]pedigree.

Pedigree?Image

However I doubt they will use Asian actors, as it would be an American production.

I also fear what they will do to Rei. I doubt they will leave her with blue hair (Though it would probably be odd). I would think they could leave her eyes red, they have contacts, and it would not be that intrusive.

And besides even if they cast Jesus Christ as Rei, I would still be pissed. I doubt if anyone could play Rei to my satisfaction.

Originally posted on: 02-Dec-2003, 00:16 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

"Unknown" actors don't necessarily suck. F'rinstance, there have been indie films produced using folks, many of whom have never acted before in their lives, who give a better performance than many of the folks who work professionally. Talent is talent, regardless of how well known you are.

tv33 wrote:However I doubt they will use Asian actors, as it would be an American production.

Last I checked, there were plenty of Asian-Americans. Image

I also fear what they will do to Rei. I doubt they will leave her with blue hair (Though it would probably be odd). I would think they could leave her eyes red, they have contacts, and it would not be that intrusive.

Granted Rei is a stylized albino, she would end up with white hair in the translation to live action. It would just be really hard to take the blue hair seriously if you're seeing a real person (as opposed to an animated character).

I doubt if anyone could play Rei to my satisfaction.

Not even Megumi Hayashibara? Erm, all kidding aside, I suppose the more hard-core a fan you are, the harder you're going to be to please. Well, depends on your priorities, I suppose... But take me, for instance. I'm more apt to take issue with Weta's Eva redesigns than the majority of NGE fans. And, well, you're going to be uber-picky about who gets cast as Rei. (Assuming anyone ever gets cast at all...) Makes sense, I suppose.

Originally posted on: 02-Dec-2003, 00:28 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:"Unknown" actors don't necessarily suck. F'rinstance, there have been indie films produced using folks, many of whom have never acted before in their lives, who give a better performance than many of the folks who work professionally. Talent is talent, regardless of how well known you are.

Oh, I quite agree, all well known actors start off as nobodies. However, inexperience often plagues most independent films (Not to mention child stars).

Reichu wrote:Last I checked, there were plenty of Asian-Americans. Image

Well yes (They would need to look no further than my University, I sometimes wonder if I have stumbled into Hong Kong) However the majority of Americans being white, and it not being a period piece (Like The last Samurai) I doubt they will do it.

I don't much care either way. (I am still hoping it never sees the light of day) To me white people playing Asians in The last Samurai would be a lot worse then white people playing animated people.

Reichu wrote:I'm more apt to take issue with Weta's Eva redesigns than the majority of NGE fans.

I have only seen those old magazine concept art pictures. Have they released anything else? If so how have they changed the Eva's?

Originally posted on: 02-Dec-2003, 00:50 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

tv33 wrote:Oh, I quite agree, all well known actors start off as nobodies. However, inexperience often plagues most independent films (Not to mention child stars).

Plagues them in what way? I would imagine that a role call of names nobody's ever heard of might present some problems commercially. (Makes me think of "Time Bandits", for some reason... The main characters are six dwarves -- played by real acondroplesiacs -- and a British kid, so they marketed the film with big names that only played cameo roles. So what if John Cleese is only in it for about 10 minutes -- his name's still on the front cover because it's a lure.)

To me white people playing Asians in The last Samurai would be a lot worse then white people playing animated people.

If it's a parody film, then it might work. Image But whities playing people named such conspicuously Japanese things such as "Ikari", "Fuyutsuki", "Suzuhara", "Akagi", etc., is just fundamentally wrong in my book -- it doesn't matter that the characters were originally animated as opposed to based on some historical premise. If a character is supposed to be Asian, Hollywood might not get the exact right ethnicity, but they probably will get someone with the appropriate Asian blood (like Rosalind Chao playing Keiko O'Brien in "Star Trek"). Otherwise, it's just silly.

Originally posted on: 02-Dec-2003, 01:02 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Plagues them in what way?

A lot of independent films (Though most "independent films" are not that independent anymore). have started to use big name actors. They get the exposers and a seasoned actor. And the actor get to take a brake from the blow-them-up big budget film, and regain some of their legitimacy as an actor.

Take the name of any big name actor, and I bet they have played in one or more independent films in the past year or two.

Edit- I will admit that is only a fraction of all the idy films made, but they are the only ones that get any recognition.

Reichu wrote:But whities playing people named such conspicuously Japanese things such as "Ikari", "Fuyutsuki", "Suzuhara", "Akagi", etc., is just fundamentally wrong in my book -- it doesn't matter that the characters were originally animated as opposed to based on some historical premise. If a character is supposed to be Asian, Hollywood might not get the exact right ethnicity, but they probably will get someone with the appropriate Asian blood (like Rosalind Chao playing Keiko O'Brien in "Star Trek"). Otherwise, it's just silly.

I very much agree, I just doubt Hollywood would make an ALL Asian cast. They probably assume it would hurt sales.

Originally posted on: 02-Dec-2003, 01:17 GMT

Gaizokubanou [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gaizokubanou [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:54 pm

If they use all asian related actors, I think it would be horrible cause they are limiting their resources by a lot. Also Evangelion covers grand scale events such as end of world and etc., I just think it's silly to have only asians being involved in it. The only reason every character has Japanese name is cause it was made in Japan, location is based on Japan, and they wanted to sell to Japanese viewers first. This is going to aim for usa crowd, so they will probably relate it more toward usa culture and background rather than Japanese, which would mean substantial change in material(than again, I rather see something that's very different and kinda cool rather than direct clone of original that disgrace the original). I mean how many non-anime fans will be interested about "neo-tokyo" and things like that?

Originally posted on: 02-Dec-2003, 16:20 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Gaizokubanou wrote:If they use all asian related actors, I think it would be horrible cause they are limiting their resources by a lot.

How is not using whities "limiting [your] resources by a lot"? You need Asians to satisfy the look of Japanese characters who are no longer conforming to the anime style, which, by nature, makes people race-neutral in appearance (except for the rare occasions when a character is designed to stress their ethnicity). Movie-makers almost always cast for looks at least in part. Assuming that Tokyo-3 will still be in Japan and the principal cast is still composed of Japanese people, the "casting by looks" principal should still apply. Just to give a silly example, Mike Myers has played a Japanese dude on SNL, but I doubt he'd be cast for a big-budget film like NGE to play a Japanese dude.

I suppose my real point is, you don't need Hollywood's big names (most of whom are Caucasian, incidentally...) in order to get a good performance. If "NGE: The Movie" sees the light of day, hopefully they'll cast talented people who are appropriate for the roles, regardless of how unknown they are. And I'm sure there are enough talented Asian-pedigree actors in the English-speaking countries (Hollywood doesn't limit itself to hiring from the U.S.A., you know) that we could get a great cast.

Though, hey, Asuka's only a quarter Asian, so the choices wouldn't be as limited there. (Her actor would likely STILL be an unknown, though.) And if the SEELE guys made an appearance, there could be a few big-name cameos they could throw onto the movie posters to lure folks in. After all, it's not beyond Hollywood to give big-name cameos precedence over main characters played by "nobodies" when it comes to putting their names in big letters on the posters and video covers -- as I mentioned earlier.

I mean how many non-anime fans will be interested about "neo-tokyo" and things like that?

This is "NGE", not "Akira". Image

Originally posted on: 02-Dec-2003, 16:58 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:54 pm

If the live action version is going to retain the original names of the characters then they should hire actors of asian decent... period. Why would somebody want to assume that an asian actor couldn't act as well as a caucasian performer. Most American actors are really just on screen personalities anyway. (Jack Nicholson comes to mind)

And yes, a story of this magnatude has never been brought to the screen before. But this alone does not make it impossible. Eventualy someone is going to have to raise the bar in science-fiction movies once again as Kubrick did with 2001 and the Evangelion story would be the best way to achieve this feat.

*takes moment to ponder Reichu's new avatar* LMMFAO!

Originally posted on: 02-Dec-2003, 19:07 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Reichu- I somewhat disagree (Though it flies in the face of my other post -o-Image. I saw an Korean version of MacBeth last year in school. They kept all of the original names and the location, and it was a big success in Korean (Or so I was told). They did not find it odd because they are use to Asian actors (And Asian people in general).

The target audience for this movie will be Americans, so it would only be natural to cast people Americans are most use to seeing on screen and are a majority of the population. (From a business perspective).

I don't see any wrong in it, just the same way I don't see any wrong with Asians playing roles In MacBeth.

Also MacBeth has a far more European feel to it then Eva does a Japanese feel. For Example if Rurouni Kenshin was done using White people, that would be way to far out of place. But Tokyo-3 resembles a modern, Western location, such as New York or L.A. And they all ware western cloths, use cell phones, drives cars, ect...

Originally posted on: 03-Dec-2003, 08:29 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

I've felt it's somewhat dubious to compare Eva and Shakespeare, even here. For a play, it's not so illogical for them to be played by the local actors regardless of where you are, and widely varying dramatic depictions of the same script are the name of the game. The viewers of a play are required to use their imagination a great deal more than viewers of something designed for regular television, even in an extravagant Broadway production like "The Lion King" (which, BTW, actually took care to cast African-Americans in the main roles, at least in the version presented in a documentary I saw). Granted, Shakespeare adapted for television or cinema isn't going to have as many limitations imposed upon it, but it's still a play at heart.

I would also consider it more natural for people in a country like Korea, where the population is largely one ethnicity, to pay less attention to race in the casting process than a country like the U.S., which is one giant melting pot. Sure, Caucasians continue to dominate the popular media, but hopefully things like "NGE", if cast with paid due to the correct race of its main characters, could bend that unfortunate tendency.

There is no good reason why people of Asian decent should not be cast for "NGE:TM" ("the movie") just in order to "Americanize" it. After all, the many people of Asian decent in this country are just as much Americans as European-descended mutts such as myself. The USA by its very nature lacks homogeneality. Turning the NGE cast white in a U.S. adaptation is thus not only unnecessary but inappropriate. On the other hand, it would be understandable for THEMATIC content grounded in Japanese culture, and things on a similar note, to get the boot in the process of "Americanization".

tv33 wrote:Also MacBeth has a far more European feel to it then Eva does a Japanese feel. For Example if Rurouni Kenshin was done using White people, that would be way to far out of place. But Tokyo-3 resembles a modern, Western location, such as New York or L.A. And they all ware western cloths, use cell phones, drives cars, ect...

And, as it goes, modern (or the ficticious post-modern Japan in "NGE"), unlike the late-1800's Japan of Kenshin, is heavily Westernized. The environs presented in NGE are based on contemporary Japan, not the contemporary U.S.A. (as the live action footage from EoE's "Jesus bleibet meine Freude" sequences shows rather clearly). Japan's heavily Westernized state would make it easier for the location to be switched to the U.S. in NGE:TM, though I suppose my real point is that it's not necessary. American films do not necesarily have to take place in America (even though they USUALLY do).

And a last note: All-Asian casts do not necessarily turn the general U.S. populace off. Just look at "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".

Originally posted on: 02-Dec-2003, 22:01 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:55 pm

Reichu wrote:For a play, it's not so illogical for them to be played by the local actors regardless of where you are...

That play of MacBeth was a nation wide event (Apparently). They had big name Korean actors playing the roles. The only thing local about it was the country.

Reichu wrote:Turning the NGE cast white in a U.S. adaptation is thus not only unnecessary but inappropriate.

They could easily find westerners for a large budget production such as the Korean MacBeth. But they didn't because they are in Korea, and a majority of them are Asian. The play was changed for a local audience, as is mosts stories that cross boarders.

The point that we are a nation of immigrants does not change much.

Like I said I don't much care either way. If they keep them Asian it would be nice, and possibly open up peoples cultural perception and all that good jive (Witch could happen anyway). However if they don't (And I don't assume they will) I personally will find no wrong in it. The same way I dont find wrong in a Korean MacBeth.

Reichu wrote:And a last note: All-Asian casts do not necessarily turn the eneral U.S. populace off. Just look at "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".

That is a good point. But that was a movie from China, in Chinese, and was marketed as a foreign film, set in pre-modern China. That is different than a American film, made in America for Americans.

Originally posted on: 02-Dec-2003, 23:25 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:55 pm

Is it just me, or aren't pretty much all of the characters already white, and relatively western looking to begin with? They are undoutably Japanese, but I think that's mainly thanks to our beloved seiyuu. I think the most accurate portrayal of Evangelion's characters using human people would enevitably be made-up of both asian and american people.

Originally posted on: 02-Dec-2003, 23:31 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:55 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:Is it just me, or aren't pretty much all of the characters already white, and relatively western looking to begin with? They are undoutably Japanese, but I think that's mainly thanks to our beloved seiyuu.

As Reichu pointed out most Anime characters are race neutral(Unless they are black or Arab I have seem to notice, or in something like Samurai X, where they look very Asian). Put Shinji and Asuka up next to each other and there is no difference of race. Yui is Japanese, no two ways about it, but she has light brown hair and green eyes. They creators do this just to have verity, and to make their characters unique.

Though it is odd how some characters look particularly Asian in the show. Like Shinji's school teacher, or the man from China Gendo meet with on the plane.

Originally posted on: 02-Dec-2003, 23:39 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:55 pm

thx3876 wrote:Eventualy someone is going to have to raise the bar in science-fiction movies once again as Kubrick did with 2001 and the Evangelion story would be the best way to achieve this feat.

I have to disagree with this: The best way to make a good movie is to create a completely new story that's specifically designed to work as a movie. No conversion & condensing troubles, no flame wars about which one is better, the original or the remake, and the most important thing - it feels fresh.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't 2001 a sort of collaboration between Clarke and Kubrick? NGE: TM (or Happy New Wave Robot Extravaganza 17 or whatever its name is going to be) is a little different thing. Do you think Eva is going to feel groovy anymore when they've cut out the religious crap, insanity, sexual frustrations and blood?

And for your amusement, here's reason #488 why this live action project is simply impossible: NGE is too gay. Come on, think about it a bit: We have a protagonist that is surrounded by beautiful women but still acts like a total wimp and thus never gets any. And he pilots a - sorry Reichu, this is for illustration purposes only - HUGE PURPLE MECHA with a HORN EXTENDING FROM ITS FOREHEAD!!! Remember the Tinky Winky sex scandal? That's nothing compared to what this movie is going to cause! And if Kaworu appears already in the first film, they might officially label it as the gayest movie in all existance! So, do you think the studio executives are going to take the risk? :uhoh: -o-;

EDIT:Well I'll be damned. They say the same thing better in ReDeath. Image

Originally posted on: 03-Dec-2003, 11:19 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:55 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:EDIT:Well I'll be damned. They say the same thing better in ReDeath. Image

Well, unlike Tinky Winky, Yui-sama has the advantage of being a feminine entity, which the creators of ReDeath did not seem to realize...

Originally posted on: 03-Dec-2003, 14:09 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:55 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:And for your amusement, here's reason #488 why this live action project is simply impossible: NGE is too gay. Come on, think about it a bit: We have a protagonist that is surrounded by beautiful women but still acts like a total wimp and thus never gets any. And he pilots a - sorry Reichu, this is for illustration purposes only - HUGE PURPLE MECHA with a HORN EXTENDING FROM ITS FOREHEAD!!! Remember the Tinky Winky sex scandal? That's nothing compared to what this movie is going to cause! And if Kaworu appears already in the first film, they might officially label it as the gayest movie in all existance! So, do you think the studio executives are going to take the risk? :uhoh: -o-;

Well, in Shinji's case, being a feminine male does NOT always mean you're gay, ya know. Image But if this movie does happen, I'm betting Shinji's characterization will undergo a major overhall. If that be the case, I'll consider John. Q. Public to be the real spineless losers. Image

Your comments about EVA 01, on the other hand, amuse.

Originally posted on: 03-Dec-2003, 16:00 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:55 pm

Incisivis wrote:Well, in Shinji's case, being a feminine male does NOT always mean you're gay, ya know. Image

Oh baby, I know that, but I don't think 13-year-old Vin Diesel fans do. And I don't believe they care about the feminine nature of Evas either, "they're just big robots".

Originally posted on: 03-Dec-2003, 18:33 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”