The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:49 pm

huge freakin' screenshot
Why does that pic remind me of 'Twin Peaks'?...

Originally posted on: 08-Nov-2003, 02:37 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:50 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Why does that pic remind me of 'Twin Peaks'?...

[airhead]Huh? I don't get it...[/airhead]

Well, unless you're making a reference to the... ::cough:: ... foreground. -o-;

Originally posted on: 08-Nov-2003, 02:45 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:50 pm

Reichu wrote:[airhead]Huh? I don't get it...[/airhead]

Well, unless you're making a reference to the... ::cough:: ... foreground. -o-;
You got it... who cares about the levitating phantasm (I prefer to regard that as an avatar of the Goddess Rei/Lilith, BTW); being a shallow male (is there any other kind?), my attention always centers on the, um, foreground of that image... Image

Originally posted on: 08-Nov-2003, 02:54 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Shin-seiki wrote:I prefer to regard that as an avatar of the Goddess Rei/Lilith, BTW

So then what on Earth was her avatar before she suffered the misfortune of being put into a GSF of Yui? [In my doujin -- yes, I ALWAYS have to mention that, hope you have your drink nearby Image -- I gleefully revert Lilith to her more primordial, pre-Rei -- and IMO considerably more interesting -- state, and her "avatar" becomes a pair of V-E-R-Y F-R-E-A-K-Y E-Y-E-S. Not that the Rei incarnation will be gone altogether...]

being a shallow male (is there any other kind?)

I certainly hope so, otherwise my incredibly high standards are going to doom me to remain single forever. (Well, either that or resort to lesbianism...)

Originally posted on: 08-Nov-2003, 03:29 GMT

felineki [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby felineki [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:50 pm

Reichu wrote:I certainly hope so, otherwise my incredibly high standards are going to doom me to remain single forever. (Well, either that or resort to lesbianism...)

There's always me... Image

Originally posted on: 08-Nov-2003, 04:33 GMT

MDWigs [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:50 pm

Reichu wrote:She only grew a new arm after assimilating Gendou's (sort of like what Yui-sama did in episode #19 with Zeruel's arm). It is true that Lilith herself has the ability to produce infinite biomass even without a super-solenoid (she was perpetually bleeding LCL), though that biomass has to come from a preexisting body, it seems. After 3I went kaputt, the bloody chunks of GNR's body mysteriously petrified, not unlike the harpies.

I personally believe that her ability to grow a new arm stemmed from her assimilating Adam (and his S2-Engine) contained within Gendou's hand, as opposed to her actually using the biomass of Gendou's arm to reform her own. But that's a side issue and not directly related to the issue of whether Rei would return. I think she probably could, but I don't think she would. She said goodbye to Yui and Eva-01, she said goodbye to Shinji (see huge freakin' screenshot) and then she was gone. If Yui and Eva-01 were to represent eternal physical proof of humankind's existence, then I think Rei and Kaworu are going to eternally watch over humanity, and as Rei said, represent, "Hope. The hope that people might be able to understand one another.".

As for shallowness, well if ignorance is bliss, then I suppose that is better than being too deep (hmmm we are discussing Eva....). I'd like to think that some males fall in between, (even cynical, bitter, old men in their early twenties like me Image)

Originally posted on: 08-Nov-2003, 07:24 GMT

SandalpHon [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SandalpHon [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:50 pm

well, I just gotta say that i'd be willing to pay up to the four figure mark to see this if it gets made. I'm a die-hard fan, so basically anything with the words 'neon genesis evangelion' in it is worthy of my complete and utter devotion. lol

Originally posted on: 09-Nov-2003, 16:33 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

SandalpHon wrote:well, I just gotta say that i'd be willing to pay up to the four figure mark to see this if it gets made. I'm a die-hard fan, so basically anything with the words 'neon genesis evangelion' in it is worthy of my complete and utter devotion. lol

Weta is more than capable of coming up with beautiful visuals, though if the production illos they've released SO far are any indication, we're in store for some very frightening departures. I know their variations on Zero and Sho give me nightmares. :scared:

The giant she-spider and fell beasts :liplick: coming up in a couple of months will hopefully make up for any atrocities Weta commits upon my beloveds (i.e., Evas and Angels) in the future, though.

Originally posted on: 09-Nov-2003, 23:01 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:50 pm

I've been reading these boards now for a while and this is my first time posting. I've noticed something that I thought would be relevant to this thread.

There's a shot in LOTR : The Two Towers that greatly resembles a shot from episode 24 of Evangelion. If you have The Two Towers theatrical version on DVD, watch towards the end of Gandalf's battle with the Balrog. ( at app 3 and a half minutes into the film ) Then go to the 59:54 point of your Death & Rebirth DVD and watch the shot of Eva 01 and Eva 02 decending into Terminal Dogma.

It's been noted that some WETA's staff are Eva fans. Could this be coincedence or proof?

BTW, I really hope to see less negativity from fans in the future. They need our support to make this live-action movie get made and get made well.

Originally posted on: 12-Nov-2003, 01:42 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:51 pm

Well, here are the shots that thx mentioned so you can judge for yourself:

A little vague, but I suppose it's there... Interesting, nonetheless.

thx3876 wrote:BTW, I really hope to see less negativity from fans in the future. They need our support to make this live-action movie get made and get made well.

If they want my support, they can have it. Image

For my part, I'm being as impartial as possible until more about this project turns up. Though, like I said, the Eva redesigns that have been released don't exactly float my boat.

Originally posted on: 12-Nov-2003, 02:08 GMT

red_LED [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby red_LED [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:51 pm

Vague.... but curious, they are kinda similar

Originally posted on: 17-Nov-2003, 06:28 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:51 pm

thx3876 wrote:BTW, I really hope to see less negativity from fans in the future. They need our support to make this live-action movie get made and get made well.

So, rallying support for Sauron? Well, do as you please. I'm no longer kicking and screaming against this project, since I realized how impossible this whole thing is. It isn't going to happen, period.

Originally posted on: 17-Nov-2003, 14:44 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:51 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:So, rallying support for Sauron?

If I got a Fell Beast as a steed, he11, I'd join the Dark Side! The stench doesn't bother me. ::p

"Good birdy..."

Originally posted on: 17-Nov-2003, 15:35 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:51 pm

Well, It would seem that the similer shots I mentioned before (and Reichu so kindly posted) were coincedence after all.

In the Appedixes sections of The Two Towers extended DVD it is clearly stated that the scene in question was based on an older painting by Alan Lee or something. Still, even in coincedence, I believe there is a little more than "vague" resemblance between the two scenes.

In both scenes we see figures decending through a hole in the ceiling into almost the exact same foreground. Even the music is eerily similer.

Coincedence sure.

Vague, IMHO not neccesarily.

And on the subject of the Eva movie itself, what's so evil about wanting to have a live-action Eva movie see the light of day? After all it could possibly be a <gasp> improvement. Now, before anyone starts boiling the tar and feathers, let me explain.

Evangelion, with all it's brilliant originality, is far from being perfect. It is possible that a clever screenwriter could flesh out the certain core elements with more clarity than the animation much in the same way as the Lord of the rings movies did for the (again; brilliant but not in any way perfect) novels. Always keep in mind that because the mysterious aspect of the animation a lot of the weight of the story is what we as fans project on to it. Everyone here has thier own connection to the story that is different from anyone else and there is no right or wrong way to interpret the meaning of Anno's great story.

Again, as some have mentioned before, this movie may never happen. And even if it does could turn out to be another Battlefield Earth or Starship Troopers. In any event, I know that no matter how this turns out, my love of Evangelion cannot be changed, nor should any of your's be.

So, best of luck to ADV, GAINAX, WETA, and whoever funds the film. If the project has Anno's blessing, it can have mine too.

Originally posted on: 19-Nov-2003, 16:31 GMT

SeannyB [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SeannyB [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:51 pm

thx3876 wrote:After all it could possibly be a improvement
*tar and feathers* Image

I (and I suspect several others) mainly enjoyed Evangelion because it's such a harsh personal work, and its flaws and overdone nature only help to amplify the feeling. My main concern is that, even if a great screenplay is written with well-developed well-portrayed characters within an air-tight Hollywood narrative structure with high-quality action scenes and whatnot... Evangelion will become "sterilized" in a sense. This is why I hope the live-action Evangelion will be vastly different from the original, instead of some Hollywood approximation of Evangelion.

it could be good, but not "good" in the way Evangelion was considering the live-action evangelion will be a $100mil feature -- thus no chance in hell for a "harsh, personal work"

Originally posted on: 20-Nov-2003, 08:09 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:51 pm

thx3876 wrote:Evangelion, with all it's brilliant originality, is far from being perfect. It is possible that a clever screenwriter could flesh out the certain core elements with more clarity than the animation much in the same way as the Lord of the rings movies did for the (again; brilliant but not in any way perfect) novels.

Evangelion is not perfect? I agree with you 100% on this one. With a little touch of parody, I could easily write a five-page essay named "why Evangelion sucks f*cking ***". But let me remind you that nothing is perfect. Nothing. Perfectness exists only in the realm of religion, but not in this mortal world. Eva is not perfect, it's merely awesome (Boo-hoo! :bawling: :lolImage.

But I truly don't understand how any unofficial additions could flesh NGE's story out with "more clarity", or any story in that respect. If a story rocks, it rocks, and if it sucks, it sucks. Simply as that. Only Anno, the god of Eva-universe, can do any "fleshing out" and even his powers are nowadays very limited since the story has, well, ended. Same thing with LOTR, only Tolkien could modify or add anything to the story. Peter Jackson can do what he wants, but his movies don't "flesh out" the original story one bit. Jackson has only power over his own unofficial adaptation, nothing else.

There will be no more official Eva (well, unless hell doesn't freeze over, anyway), and I'm completely fine with it. I take quality over quantity any day. If you want more stuff with NGE-brand on it, you can check out Sadamoto's interpretation and if you have a strong mind, internet is filled with fan-fictions of varying quality (from almost readable to crap, super-crap, úber-crap and [name removed by request]). There are also games, toys and even questionable bedsheets, if nothing else helps Image.
I don't hate even the grossest Eva dating games out there, since they hardly can harm the public image of the original work. But this live-action project has that terrible potential to stain the name of a great story.

If I have learned one thing, it is that that when Hollywood makes an adaptation, the original idea can be mutilated in a ways that you couldn't believe in your wildest dreams. Let's look at the possible scenarios there are:

LOTR was in many ways a dream-adaptation. The whole idea was put forward by an obsessed fan, who also happened to be an extremely skilled movie director. Jackson kept tight control over the project, had unique artistic visions and actually tried to respect Tolkien's work. Well, I consider the Fellowship of the Ring to be just a lame adventure-flick with mediocre effects, but that's just my uneducated opinion (GandalfsWhisper can rant more if he wants to). But I have to admit that it was a superb adaptation film.

Unfortunately, with live-Eva we can exclude this optimistic scenario instantly. There isn't even a director yet. And I also doubt that it would be a satirical adaptation, as Starship Troopers was. So, what options do we have left?

First Contact -scenario: Directed by a quality director, follows the plot very nicely, but in the end the whole goddamn ending is cut off and replaced with some stupid sentimental babble. When I saw the movie on television for the first time, I was so angry that I almost broke my remote control -o-;.

The Sum of All Fears -scenario: Bears the name of the original work and has some characters with familiar names. Everything else is cut off and replaced with mind-numbingly dumbed-down stuff. And when I say everything else, I mean _everything_ else. Luckily I knew what it was going to be when I went to the movies. I laughed through the whole movie like a maniac. And I lived to tell the tale.
I hate to say this, but this last scenario seems to be the likeliest to happen with live-Eva (well, character names will be replaced, believe me). I could elaborate widely why, but I think I've already ranted too much... Thank you for reading through this Broken English presentation.

Originally posted on: 20-Nov-2003, 08:16 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:51 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:...LOTR was in many ways a dream-adaptation. The whole idea was put forward by an obsessed fan, who also happened to be an extremely skilled movie director. Jackson kept tight control over the project, had unique artistic visions and actually tried to respect Tolkien's work. Well, I consider the Fellowship of the Ring to be just a lame adventure-flick with mediocre effects, but that's just my uneducated opinion (GandalfsWhisper can rant more if he wants to). But I have to admit that it was a superb adaptation film...

Instead of writing my own rant, and turning this into another LotR movie debate. I'm going to agree with Dr.Nick, it was how Jackson saw the story (which was a skewed vision of the books). As far as adaptations go it was a decent one (Blade Runner being an example of an exellent adaptation). Evangelion can't really be adapted in the same way LotR was because they are vastly different styles of story-telling, LotR is a series of elaborate physical events which develope the characters and story, while Evangelion is told through character interactions spiced up with a few of the LotR-esque epic events (Shinji and Eva01's fight with Bardiel comes to mind).

Also: Dr.Nick, your english was quite exellent in the above post.

Originally posted on: 21-Nov-2003, 03:21 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:51 pm

Both of you have raised good points and I definatly appreciate the fully developed responses.

I guess I should clarify some of what I meant about the "fleshing out" of LOTR. While the story and events are definatly condensed, the characters in the film are far more fully developed than in the novels. Especially Aragorn who comes off as a wooden 60's superhero in the books. (he ends up the same person in the end that he was in the beginning)

But, I can definatly see the holes in that argument when speeking of the Evangelion adaption. Yes Evangelion is mainly a character drama in the first place, so making a shorter film adaption wouldn't help in this aspect as it did in LOTR. But i still feel that if they were to come up with a uniqe angle on the sci-fi aspects, this film could be worthwhile. It will NEVER-NEVER-EVER-EVER replace the anime, but at the very least could be worth the cheap thrill of seeing Evas battle in all there big screen glory.

No matter how good or bad this is it will not effect the impact of Anno's original in any way. Speaking as someone who is a lifelong Star Wars fan, I don't become discouraged over stupid side projects like the ultra lame Clone War cartoons or the umpteenth different origin of Boba Fett because I know nothing matters but the films themselves.

BTW, Dr. nick- is that avatar really a picture of you? If so, greetings I'm your long lost twin. Image

Originally posted on: 21-Nov-2003, 04:20 GMT

TK [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TK [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:51 pm

Im quite looking forward to the Eva live action just to see how they handled it but wht ive heard of live actuon they all turn out bad but i really hope this doesn't

Originally posted on: 22-Nov-2003, 00:30 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:52 pm

thx3876 wrote:Well, It would seem that the similer shots I mentioned before (and Reichu so kindly posted) were coincedence after all.

In the Appedixes sections of The Two Towers extended DVD it is clearly stated that the scene in question was based on an older painting by Alan Lee or something. Still, even in coincedence, I believe there is a little more than "vague" resemblance between the two scenes.

In both scenes we see figures decending through a hole in the ceiling into almost the exact same foreground. Even the music is eerily similer.

Coincedence sure.

Vague, IMHO not neccesarily.

And on the subject of the Eva movie itself, what's so evil about wanting to have a live-action Eva movie see the light of day? After all it could possibly be a improvement. Now, before anyone starts boiling the tar and feathers, let me explain.

Evangelion, with all it's brilliant originality, is far from being perfect. It is possible that a clever screenwriter could flesh out the certain core elements with more clarity than the animation much in the same way as the Lord of the rings movies did for the (again; brilliant but not in any way perfect) novels. Always keep in mind that because the mysterious aspect of the animation a lot of the weight of the story is what we as fans project on to it. Everyone here has thier own connection to the story that is different from anyone else and there is no right or wrong way to interpret the meaning of Anno's great story.

Again, as some have mentioned before, this movie may never happen. And even if it does could turn out to be another Battlefield Earth or Starship Troopers. In any event, I know that no matter how this turns out, my love of Evangelion cannot be changed, nor should any of your's be.

So, best of luck to ADV, GAINAX, WETA, and whoever funds the film. If the project has Anno's blessing, it can have mine too.

I don't know about you, but I think epic stories are at best when left imaginative and vague. It's like music, the facts are there but anyone can put them together whatever way will do the most to improve their own self.

I undesrstand that a live action Evangelion movie could be totally awsome. I absolutely love the LotR films even though they decided to take out the part that IMHO is the most important part of the story, it's a main part of the resolution (Return of the King: Scouring of the Shire). But I understand that live actionized things are usually not as good as they are imagined, especailly emphasized by the fact that anime is an extremely watered down enterprise in America, not to mention the Hollywood aspect. As much as I enjoy the Jurassic Park movie, if I had read the (vastly better) novel before I ever saw the movie, and had imagined how awsome a Jurassic Park movie could be, I would have been utterly dissapointed by the Hollywood adaption, because much of the novel's atmosphere had been completely removed. There's even more at stake with the Evangelion movie. It could be great, but using reason to see the likely possibility, it probably won't be. Either way, I don't think it will ever get made.

One thing I'd like to point out - just like the Lord of the Rings project, which is 3 movies adapted out of an extreme novel made up of 6 stories split into 3 groups. This caused the movie to be completely without one of the main affects of the Lord of the Rings, the extreme passing of time, days and days of travelling, waiting in anticipation for war, things like that. Tolkien did this quite well. Evangelion strongly relies on a fair ammount of free time, to show basic relationships and establish mood. Obviously, a film would be extremely rushed and without such things. Not that any of you didn't already know this, I'm just thinking out-loud.

Originally posted on: 22-Nov-2003, 01:50 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”