The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:48 pm

In my opinion the scariest part there is Shinji starting to look like his dad. Imagine if Shinji and Asuka were to overcome their mental problems and to end up as a pair in some distant future: Then in one morning she wakes up and finds herself in bed with Gendo v.2.01... Image

(Why am I talking sick things like that? Well, I just finished GoS for the first time, and with my playing tactic - as much as there was anything interactive in that 3-hour long flash-presentation - I almost managed to get Shinji and Asuka married!)

Originally posted on: 28-Oct-2003, 19:15 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:48 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:In my opinion the scariest part there is Shinji starting to look like his dad. Imagine if Shinji and Asuka were to overcome their mental problems and to end up as a pair in some distant future: Then in one morning she wakes up and finds herself in bed with Gendo v.2.01... Image

*screech!*

But I don't think he looks that much like Gendou, actually, or to be growing to resemble him. Shinji doesn't have those scary bug eyes that Gendou had when he was younger, and Shinji's facial features are smoother.

I think the hoax-maker did a good job of aging the characters, though Shinji holding Asuka like that looks weird. The pose is far too lovey-dovey for *those* two. Image

Originally posted on: 28-Oct-2003, 19:31 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:48 pm

Incisivis wrote:I think the hoax-maker did a good job of aging the characters, though Shinji holding Asuka like that looks weird. The pose is far too lovey-dovey for *those* two. Image

Bah, they were once again lovingly strangling each other (as they do every Saturday after couple of beers), but this time Asuka forgot the safety word (=Oklahoma).
Wait, that doesn't explain the presence of RNR. There's something more going on in that pic... :goof:

Originally posted on: 28-Oct-2003, 19:54 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:48 pm

Incisivis wrote:But I don't think he looks that much like Gendou, actually, or to be growing to resemble him. Shinji doesn't have those scary bug eyes that Gendou had when he was younger, and Shinji's facial features are smoother.

Well, we don't really know what Gendou looked like when he was a teenager, do we? For all we know, he could have looked so much like Shinji it'd be scary. (Well, except for the hyper-thyroid eyes, of course.)

I think the hoax-maker did a good job of aging the characters, though Shinji holding Asuka like that looks weird. The pose is far too lovey-dovey for *those* two. Image

Well, to be picky -- Asuka looks virtually the same to me. Image But, yeah, the pose would have been more convincing if Asuka was biting Shinji savagely or stabbing him with a knife or something.

Dr. Nick wrote:Bah, they were once again lovingly strangling each other (as they do every Saturday after couple of beers), but this time Asuka forgot the safety word (=Oklahoma).

Oh, frell, I hate it when I miss out on potentially-funny references... Though, yes indeed, I can envision their future sex life as being full of much strange fetishim/S&M rituals indeed. (Not that I really DELIGHT in envisioning such horrors.)

Wait, that doesn't explain the presence of RNR. There's something more going on in that pic... Image

Your guess is as good as mine.

Originally posted on: 29-Oct-2003, 02:38 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:48 pm

Reichu wrote:Well, we don't really know what Gendou looked like when he was a teenager, do we? For all we know, he could have looked so much like Shinji it'd be scary. (Well, except for the hyper-thyroid eyes, of course.)

Dammit, quit scaring me like that! I'll admit that mentally, Shinji has a lot of things in common with Gendou, but...

Ah, I lost my point. Image

Anyway, I always thought the characters in that pic looked to be in their early 20's to me.

Well, to be picky -- Asuka looks virtually the same to me. Image But, yeah, the pose would have been more convincing if Asuka was biting Shinji savagely or stabbing him with a knife or something.

Yes, yes.

Oh, frell, I hate it when I miss out on potentially-funny references... Though, yes indeed, I can envision their future sex life as being full of much strange fetishim/S&M rituals indeed. (Not that I really DELIGHT in envisioning such horrors.)

Yes, I can picture that, too. I'm scared now. :scared:

Originally posted on: 29-Oct-2003, 14:17 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:48 pm

Image stabbing him with a knife.... Image Image

Anyway thanks for posting the picture. Though I must say it's not the way I had thought it was. I mean, it's definetly the right picture but now I remember why I never beleived it in the first place, it doesn't look at all real to me. None of the characters look natural. Asuka looks sorta like she fainted or something.... Rei looks alright I guess, although her hair is wrong (and what was that about her growing? Of course she'd grow...?) She is sort of glowing though... which would imply she's about to do something godly... oh no, it's the fourth impact! Wait a minute....

(Actually I'm starting to think that Rei doesn't like being naked as much as some people think....unless she's in Lilith form)

- hey now I'm starting to realize why I wanted the picture in the first place. It's like mezmorizing.... I'm liking it more and more... it's sucking me in.... ........ ........

Originally posted on: 01-Nov-2003, 03:07 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:48 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:and what was that about her growing? Of course she'd grow...?

I believe I was griping about the entity "Rei" existing long enough to grow up in the first place. The last Rei was destroyed in EoE. Lilith became a giant Rei, fell apart, and petrified, and all we have left are these little schoolgirl phantasms. THE Rei YOU KNOW IS GONE! SHE WILL NEVER GROW UP TO BE A BLUE-HAIRED YUI!

Poor Lilith never should have been removed from her body in the first place... Rei was a mistake that can't be mended with words alone. :evil: Not that Rei didn't have a couple of worthwhile moments in the show. ~_

Originally posted on: 01-Nov-2003, 06:37 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:48 pm

Reichu wrote:SHE WILL NEVER GROW UP TO BE A BLUE-HAIRED YUI!

Damn straight she won't. Image

But I refuse to beleive that Rei is over with. First of all, it's not like she's the only one who died in EoE. If Misato, Asuka, and the rest of ém can survive their own death, Rei obviously will do so aswell. Isn't that what the whole end scene with Rei, Kaworu (& Yui, right?) is about?

On a side note, I see Evangelion as a 2 track thing, especailly Rei, and since I refuse to watch EoE again until I own the whole series, I can't really make any sense of my theories. But anyway, Evangelion seems to have these two sides - living/growing/existance through the characters, and the story/plot of mans battle against God and the death/rebirth of the world as told in EoE. The fact that Rei ended and left only her schoolgirl self in the world, and not a tool, god, angel, or clone only serves to prove that she had finally become herself at the end of EoE. Mwahaha!

Originally posted on: 01-Nov-2003, 16:36 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:48 pm

Reichu wrote:was a mistake that can't be mended with words alone.

Damn! That line drove me nuts for the last half hour. Then I finally realized it was from Eva, Episodes 19.

Oh, and I would like to point out a little inconsistency, my dear Reichu. You love Lilith, but dislike Rei? I find that quite confusing seeing as how they are the exact same person. Unless it is Rei's body (Yui's body) that you have a problem with.

First the Kaji connection, now this? I think I am beginning to understand you all too well, Reichu my dear! :evil:

Originally posted on: 01-Nov-2003, 19:16 GMT

Kiyone [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kiyone [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:49 pm

Any real news, anywhere, about the live-action film? I've heard jack squat since about July, and I've been looking.

I mean, I'm not going to declare yet that I (and Sharp-kun) was correct that this thing will be far too expensive for ADV and Gainax to produce without the backing of a major studio, and the less they announce, the more I think this will never get out of pre-production.

The fly wrote:Image
here ya go

While a DBZ film is in preproduction at Fox, you are aware that poster has long been discredited as a fake, right? The logo is awful... DZB?

Originally posted on: 06-Nov-2003, 04:14 GMT

SeannyB [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SeannyB [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:49 pm

oh, um... in case nobody saw this today -- err, that was supposed to link to ADV's site.

will include an exclusive 25-minute interview with Richard Taylor, co-founder and head of Effects and Creatures at Weta Workshop, the multiple Academy Award-winning (for The Lord of the Rings trilogy) special effects studio currently working on the Neon Genesis Evangelion live-action feature. Also included are numerous never-before-seen production images from the theatrical release.
although not particularly important, this is pretty amusing
Piloted by a special team of teenage warriors, these giant bio-mechanical humanoids are the only thing that can withstand the force of the Angels' defense fields long enough for the pilots to tackle the invaders themselves in hand to hand combat!

Originally posted on: 07-Nov-2003, 05:06 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:49 pm

SeannyB wrote:oh, um... in case nobody saw this today -- http://www.free-adult-hosting.net/s...ichi/text21.htm
Um, that link is a Hentai site...

Originally posted on: 07-Nov-2003, 05:16 GMT

UberDirector [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby UberDirector [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:49 pm

The things you learn about people when copy and paste goes horribly wrong............

Originally posted on: 07-Nov-2003, 05:37 GMT

Kiyone [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kiyone [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:49 pm

Well, since we've heard zilch (solid, not stupid rumours) about the cast and crew, I'm willing to bet what WETA's working on right now is just a demo reel to show investors.

Still, that has got to be the best news page I've ever seen. I used to have a whole bunch of bookmarks to Japanese news pages like that, but they got erased when I wiped my hard drive last summer. Image

Hmm... I wonder if the time I got briefly banned was because of a cut-and-paste error; I hope I didn't link directly to that famous gore hentai page instead of the Portal of Evil forum making fun of that page which I intended to link to.

Originally posted on: 07-Nov-2003, 07:52 GMT

SeannyB [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

UberDirector wrote:The things you learn about people when copy and paste goes horribly wrong............
LOL! Big oops on my part

*note to self: when accidentally linking to hentai-doujins, link to better ones

Originally posted on: 07-Nov-2003, 14:38 GMT

SeannyB [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

here's the actual link, in case someone's still looking for it. http://www.advfilms.com/news/index.asp?c=&i=1153

in short, the Evangelion director's cut DVD from ADV will have a special feature on the production of the Live-Action Evangelion

I also wonder what the official title of the film will be. Evangelion is already an odd title, if you remember your first efforts in trying to pronounce it right (and even by itself is a strange title for an action sci-fi). I hate calling it Live-Action Evangelion all the time.

Originally posted on: 08-Nov-2003, 08:50 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:49 pm

Reichu wrote:I believe I was griping about the entity "Rei" existing long enough to grow up in the first place. The last Rei was destroyed in EoE. Lilith became a giant Rei, fell apart, and petrified, and all we have left are these little schoolgirl phantasms. THE Rei YOU KNOW IS GONE! SHE WILL NEVER GROW UP TO BE A BLUE-HAIRED YUI!

Poor Lilith never should have been removed from her body in the first place... Rei was a mistake that can't be mended with words alone. :evil: Not that Rei didn't have a couple of worthwhile moments in the show. ~_

If Rei can grow a new arm, then she can grow a whole new body too. However, I agree that she probably won't come back, though because wouldn't want to. She was never happy as a human. I think she'll be content to watch over Shinji as a phantasm. She could, nonetheless, come back if she wanted to.

Originally posted on: 07-Nov-2003, 22:18 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:49 pm

thewayneiac wrote:If Rei can grow a new arm, then she can grow a whole new body too.

She only grew a new arm after assimilating Gendou's (sort of like what Yui-sama did in episode #19 with Zeruel's arm). It is true that Lilith herself has the ability to produce infinite biomass even without a super-solenoid (she was perpetually bleeding LCL), though that biomass has to come from a preexisting body, it seems. After 3I went kaputt, the bloody chunks of GNR's body mysteriously petrified, not unlike the harpies.

Though, yeah, I suppose Rei/Lilith could return to a Lilim body the same way as everyone else post-3I, though, as you already said, why would she want to?

Originally posted on: 07-Nov-2003, 22:26 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:49 pm

Reichu wrote:She only grew a new arm after assimilating Gendou's (sort of like what Yui-sama did in episode #19 with Zeruel's arm). It is true that Lilith herself has the ability to produce infinite biomass even without a super-solenoid (she was perpetually bleeding LCL), though that biomass has to come from a preexisting body, it seems. After 3I went kaputt, the bloody chunks of GNR's body mysteriously petrified, not unlike the harpies.

Though, yeah, I suppose Rei/Lilith could return to a Lilim body the same way as everyone else post-3I, though, as you already said, why would she want to?

As I note reppetatively in every post I make, I haven't seen EoE in a while. But I remember a scene very near the end with Rei standing around, in her average human form, fully clothed (in her school uniform I beleive, no less) and this would lead me personally to beleive that she obviously came back, and likely as an average person.

Originally posted on: 07-Nov-2003, 22:31 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:49 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:I remember a scene very near the end with Rei standing around, in her average human form, fully clothed (in her school uniform I beleive, no less) and this would lead me personally to beleive that she obviously came back, and likely as an average person.

And here's a huge freakin' screenshot of said scene, courtesy of them Collector's Discs. This is clearly a repetition of the "blink and she'll vanish!" Rei phantasm from episode 1. I believe Shin-seiki has some sort of logical explanation for it, 'cause I don't.

As for "average person"... Good luck finding one who can float above liquid bodies high enough to let their feet dangle in the air.

Originally posted on: 07-Nov-2003, 22:39 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”