The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:46 pm

Why can't we just leave the dub out of this? :boom:

Originally posted on: 30-Sep-2003, 14:06 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:46 pm

Incisivis wrote:Why can't we just leave the dub out of this? :boom:

Well, since I respect your opinion, I attempt to make negative references to the dub as little as possible. Though, you must admit, the dub is awfully easy to make fun of...

Kaworu: I mean I love you.
Shinji: !?! B-b-but, why?! I'm weak... and a coward. There's nothing likeable about me.
Kaworu: That may be true. However, unlike everyone else in the dub -- including, ironically enough, myself -- you are the only one who can pronounce my name right.

Originally posted on: 01-Oct-2003, 05:33 GMT

SeannyB [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SeannyB [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:46 pm

However, unlike everyone else in the dub -- including, ironically enough, myself -- you are the only one who can pronounce my name right.
aaahahahah, so true

Originally posted on: 01-Oct-2003, 05:54 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:46 pm

Reichu wrote:Well, since I respect your opinion, I attempt to make negative references to the dub as little as possible. Though, you must admit, the dub is awfully easy to make fun of...

Kaworu: I mean I love you.
Shinji: !?! B-b-but, why?! I'm weak... and a coward. There's nothing likeable about me.
Kaworu: That may be true. However, unlike everyone else in the dub -- including, ironically enough, myself -- you are the only one who can pronounce my name right.

Well, it's a damn sight better than "Qwa-roo", is all I can say about that. Image

Unless, erm, you *were* talking about that pronunciation.... (still uses TV series as EVA dub yardstick)

But I'm not talking about the dub in general. What I mean is constant cynical asides to the dub cast and production staff when talking about the live-action EVA movie in this thread.

It's anyone's guess as to what the ADV people have in mind for this...thing, and their abilities as adaptors, whatever you think of it, isn't a good barometer for measuring how they'd help with a live-action movie made from scratch.

And I'd eat my own shirt before I admitted a scratchbuilt, live-action version of EVA, made for mainstream consumption, is comparable to the dub in terms of closeness to Anno's vision.

Yeah, the dub is a flawed adaptation, but the live-action movie will no doubt exceed even Amanda Winn Lee's wildest sugar-dreams of alterations, so I resent them being put on the same level.

If there are cameos, so friggin' what? I can't remember what most of those people look like, anyway. Anyways, American cartoon-to-live-action movies do similar things all the time, and in this case I don't think it would be any more or less self-indulgent and useless

Originally posted on: 01-Oct-2003, 14:15 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:46 pm

is this thing actually going to happen? I haven't heard anything about it for awhile, it might not happen and we might be saved. and it could live without any of the people we've mentioned, a good director could make it brilliant, truly something for everyone, references and a fair amount of accuracy, change a name maybe, but nothing that has any major impact, it could be done

Originally posted on: 04-Oct-2003, 02:34 GMT

Yokai [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Yokai [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:46 pm

Last I heard they were looking for some major studio to pick up the bill for them..AFter that I dont know what happened.

Originally posted on: 06-Oct-2003, 23:59 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:46 pm

^ No chance in hell.

Originally posted on: 07-Oct-2003, 09:42 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:46 pm

Here' s a scary thought: suppose they get Marlon Brando to play Keel Lorenz, and Gary Oldman to play Gendo? :scared:

Originally posted on: 10-Oct-2003, 01:33 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:46 pm

actually Gary Oldman would probably do a decent job as Gendo (assuming the script is good).

Originally posted on: 10-Oct-2003, 01:57 GMT

elfwannabe [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby elfwannabe [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:46 pm

kamidake90 wrote:Barring those two situations the christian coalition will probably sh*t a solid gold brick over the movie and try to get it canned, and you know as well as i do that studio execs don't have the gall to stand up to religious groups

Dogma got released didn't it? and it made a lot of money, didn't it? i don't think you'll have to worry about religious groups getting involved past a protesting stage

Originally posted on: 11-Oct-2003, 08:45 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:47 pm

elfwannabe wrote:Dogma got released didn't it?

Trust me, this is liiittle different matter.

Originally posted on: 11-Oct-2003, 07:21 GMT

Master Gackt [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Master Gackt [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:47 pm

Are you sure that theres truly going to be a Live Action version of Evangelion? I heard the same about a Live Action movie for Dragon Ball Z 2 years ago and haven't seen anything as far as the poster image. No teaser trailer, no nuthin. Image

Originally posted on: 11-Oct-2003, 23:42 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:47 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Trust me, this is liiittle different matter.

yeah, it is different, but how, and will it matter. dogma b*tch slapped the church, and most of what it said could easily be true

Originally posted on: 12-Oct-2003, 00:03 GMT

elfwannabe [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby elfwannabe [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:47 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Trust me, this is liiittle different matter.

how is it different? dogma played upon facts found in the catholic religion and eva doesthe same, excet that it puts it into a drama rather than a comedy

Originally posted on: 12-Oct-2003, 05:15 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:47 pm

I can certainly see why there may be a difference.

Dogma is a parody. Parodies are not taken seriously, and the fanatical people will just right it off as filth and move along. But Evangelion is a work of art and integrity, first of all fanatical people despise anythings of that sort. Also, if Christian symbolism is used in a serious light rather than a parody, fanatical people may see it as a critisism of, or else a religious thing in itself. A religious show that defys the christian belief system while using Christian symbols.

I don't think anyone would be able to stop it though. This is the ****ing Free World. I still don't want an Evangelion live action movie though.

Originally posted on: 12-Oct-2003, 05:29 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:47 pm

elfwannabe wrote:how is it different? dogma played upon facts found in the catholic religion and eva doesthe same, excet that it puts it into a drama rather than a comedy

The answer is right there, like nekked-eye said. Imagine it, cross-shaped explosions killing innocent people, angels trying to destroy humanity, Lilith-related mythology... Fundamentalists would go apeshit. Evangelion is just too politically incorrect to become a live-action film. No studio dares to take the risk.

Originally posted on: 12-Oct-2003, 16:38 GMT

Orin_Quon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Orin_Quon [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:47 pm

Dogma flopped in theaters.

And this, even after getting (free) media exposure thanks to the religious fanatics making protests in front of the theater.

But it was a cheap movie, so it made money in video and DVD sales.

Notice that, i've seen Dogma, and it's nothing to be crazy about. Now Eva makes religious people combust.

By the way, elf. Spell-check your signature. PLEASE. At least Onizuka's name, for God's sake! Bad spelling in posts is fine, but in sigs?

EDIT: Unless you're not talking about GTO's character and the other word actually exists without an "s"... Image

Originally posted on: 14-Oct-2003, 05:01 GMT

The fly [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The fly [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:47 pm

Master Gackt wrote:Are you sure that theres truly going to be a Live Action version of Evangelion? I heard the same about a Live Action movie for Dragon Ball Z 2 years ago and haven't seen anything as far as the poster image. No teaser trailer, no nuthin. Image

here ya go

Originally posted on: 27-Oct-2003, 05:25 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:47 pm

Yeah, that image showed up sometime in the last 2 years. I'm certain it's a fake though, it doesn't look very real to me at all. Reminds me a bit of that Evangelion poster that was suposed to be the new Evangelion series where the pilots are older. Speaking of which, that was an awsome picture, would anyone be kind enough to post it for me? Thanks!

Originally posted on: 28-Oct-2003, 01:15 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:48 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:Speaking of which, that was an awsome picture, would anyone be kind enough to post it for me? Thanks!

And when Rei somehow manages to get older Image, she will start to cut her hair just like Yui. I R SCARD!

Originally posted on: 28-Oct-2003, 13:10 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”