The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Radio_Free_Mars [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Radio_Free_Mars [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:39 pm

I think your thinking of RoboJocks, and yes it was the worst thing I have ever seen. In terms of mecha movies. I think it was very loosly based on the Battletech books.

Originally posted on: 03-Sep-2003, 04:13 GMT

Kiyone [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kiyone [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:39 pm

Tweek wrote:I've personally never seen an action movie starring children that wasn't geared toward children.

Leon: The Professional, with 12 year old Natalie Portman, though that's an exception.

But, I don't think the Evangelion film will ever get past the planning stage, so I'm not worried.

Originally posted on: 03-Sep-2003, 07:23 GMT

laken cascade [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby laken cascade [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:39 pm

Confident git aren't you

Originally posted on: 03-Sep-2003, 19:08 GMT

Kiyone [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kiyone [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:39 pm

I don't need to be confident, actually. ADV and Gainax can't possibly afford to risk $100 million they say is the projected budget between them; they aren't huge media conglomerates. So, you know, if they make some sort of announcement regarding a deal with one of the major studios, that would be the time to start worrying or eagerly awaiting the thing, but... while they said they had been discussing things with one or several studios, these discussions don't seem to have produced anything solid yet.

Originally posted on: 04-Sep-2003, 02:11 GMT

Kiyone [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kiyone [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:40 pm

Besides... if we find out, somehow, which studio is the one expressing interest, all you have to do to stop it is find one of the guys in suits or attend a shareholders' meeting and then say out loud "Wow, a big budget, intellectual sci-fi film based on a foreign production. It might be as popular as Solaris!"

Originally posted on: 04-Sep-2003, 02:29 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:40 pm

^ Good point, Kiyone! Image

nicotine wrote:the whole eva live-action was a mistake, you just can't take any sci-fi anime to live-action, we just don't have the technology. maybe they could do something like Inital D

Dear god no!!! :scared: Tokyopop has already americanized Initial D and it is told to be baaad! I hope I'll never get to see their "tweaked out" version.

Originally posted on: 04-Sep-2003, 12:44 GMT

The_Last_Exile [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The_Last_Exile [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:40 pm

the special effects are going to be amazing

Originally posted on: 06-Sep-2003, 01:51 GMT

leapram [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby leapram [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:40 pm

Floyd doing the soundtrack Im not sure how it would turn out since the fact its nearly been ten years since Pink Floyd has played together let alone look how old they are and feelings towads each other. I dont know if anyone has ever seen i but the video of eva set to the song from wall Mother was very good. I would hope at least there would be a new and updated version of Cruel Angel's Thesis

Originally posted on: 07-Sep-2003, 23:01 GMT

Orin_Quon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Orin_Quon [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:40 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Dear god no!!! :scared: Tokyopop has already americanized Initial D and it is told to be baaad! I hope I'll never get to see their "tweaked out" version.

Too late.

Tsui Hark is already well into pre-production of the Initial D movie. The rights left Jackie Chan's hands (he's a big racing fan, and was going to produce it, not star in it) and are now on Tsui's, who's not going to wait a second. He says there's going to be CG effects. Why, i'll never know. Why the hell would a racing movie need SFX? This is not that F&TF crap...

Some popular young talentless HK singer is already cast (i assume for Takumi's part).

Originally posted on: 14-Sep-2003, 00:49 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:40 pm

Oh, Orin_Quon, thank you for destroying the last bit of my childlike innocence and faith to mankind. If mr. Hark ever gets that monstrosity done, I'll probably download it out of perverse curiosity. I don't understand the usage of CG-effects either, unless they are planning to replace Itsuki with a hilarious dinosaur-sidekick voiced by Ahmed Best. Maybe he knows kung fu too!

Although to be honest, I think a shoelace-budget Hong Kong sweatshop version of Initial D is still a less disgusting thing than a Hollywood-Evangelion. But it's still like choosing between a mutated anthrax and an ultrasonic diarrhea.

Originally posted on: 14-Sep-2003, 16:56 GMT

Orin_Quon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Orin_Quon [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:40 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Although to be honest, I think a shoelace-budget Hong Kong sweatshop version of Initial D is still a less disgusting thing than a Hollywood-Evangelion. But it's still like choosing between a mutated anthrax and an ultrasonic diarrhea.

HK is way past the small budget movies. They even have good DPs nowadays.

The bad part is that now they like SFX.

Go for kfccinema.com for more info on Initial D.

Originally posted on: 14-Sep-2003, 17:50 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:41 pm

(from an interview with Tiffany Grant, on ADV's site)

THE PULSE: What do you think of the plans for a live action NGE movie? What have you heard about it?

GRANT: I think it's going to be INCREDIBLE! Since my husband, Matt Greenfield, is one of the producers, I know WAY more about it than I am allowed to tell >=)

The folks who produced the 'Lord of the Rings' movies down in New Zealand, WETA, didn't want to be out of a job when LOTR finally wraps all its post production, so they were looking for work. Since many of them were Eva fans (realize that the entire show has aired in Australia at least twice on regular television), they thought why not do a live action Eva film?

Rest assured, since ADV and Gainax are both on board for this project, it will be handled with kid gloves. And, if it's successful, you can look for one or two more sequels since it won't be possible to tell the whole 26 episode story in one two-hour movie. If you want to get an idea of the types of techniques that will be involved, just watch the behind-the-scenes documentaries on the LOTR DVDs. Amazing stuff!

THE PULSE: These characters are obviously very near and dear to your heart. Whom would you like to see cast in the film?

GRANT: Funny as it may sound, I haven't thought about too many of the parts. I do have an idea about a possible Asuka, but I don't think I am at liberty to say. However, since the film won't begin shooting for about two years, keep your eyes out for up-and-coming thirteen-year-olds who will be fifteen when filming begins. ;-)

Originally posted on: 16-Sep-2003, 18:42 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:41 pm

Scary, scary sh*t. And there's probably a juicy cameo-role waiting for mrs. Grant.

So, the guys of WETA are "Eva-fans"? Nice way to show your respect, polygon-wankers. From that text I got the impression that they were the ones to propose this idea to ADV. A movie planned by SFX-people... That's actually really friggin scary! Image :scared:

But still, as 1337 W1z4rDz5 OMG!!! as they may be, I still don't think even they could pull that $ 100 million out of thin air.

Originally posted on: 17-Sep-2003, 08:39 GMT

SeannyB [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SeannyB [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:41 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:GRANT: I think it's going to be INCREDIBLE!
for those who have ever seen Tiffany Grant live doing her "Wow AWESOME! ADV is soOOOOoOOoOoo COOOL!" -voice at a convention, well you know the rest. I was about to duck for cover ("I think it's going to be INCREDIBLE!")

Originally posted on: 16-Sep-2003, 21:05 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:41 pm

SeannyB wrote:"I think it's going to be INCREDIBLE!"

Good gawd... Now I'm starting to have flashbacks of AWL's audio commentaries... :twitch:

Well, at least we don't have to worry about Ms. Grant playing Asuka herself... -o-;

Originally posted on: 17-Sep-2003, 02:43 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:41 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:(from an interview with Tiffany Grant, on ADV's site)

THE PULSE: What do you think of the plans for a live action NGE movie? What have you heard about it?

GRANT: I think it's going to be INCREDIBLE! Since my husband, Matt Greenfield, is one of the producers, I know WAY more about it than I am allowed to tell >=)

The folks who produced the 'Lord of the Rings' movies down in New Zealand, WETA, didn't want to be out of a job when LOTR finally wraps all its post production, so they were looking for work. Since many of them were Eva fans (realize that the entire show has aired in Australia at least twice on regular television), they thought why not do a live action Eva film?

Rest assured, since ADV and Gainax are both on board for this project, it will be handled with kid gloves. And, if it's successful, you can look for one or two more sequels since it won't be possible to tell the whole 26 episode story in one two-hour movie. If you want to get an idea of the types of techniques that will be involved, just watch the behind-the-scenes documentaries on the LOTR DVDs. Amazing stuff!

THE PULSE: These characters are obviously very near and dear to your heart. Whom would you like to see cast in the film?

GRANT: Funny as it may sound, I haven't thought about too many of the parts. I do have an idea about a possible Asuka, but I don't think I am at liberty to say. However, since the film won't begin shooting for about two years, keep your eyes out for up-and-coming thirteen-year-olds who will be fifteen when filming begins. ;-)

Kimochi Warui

Originally posted on: 17-Sep-2003, 05:56 GMT

Shimizu [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shimizu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:41 pm

Originally posted on: 17-Sep-2003, 09:08 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:41 pm

GandalfsWhisper wrote:Kimochi Warui
Image So, Tiff is married to Matt Greenfield! That explains a lot...[cough]nepotism[/cough]

Originally posted on: 17-Sep-2003, 11:51 GMT

Jay Fanel [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jay Fanel [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:41 pm

sorry, I don't feel like surfing through 200+ posts. what's the estimated timeframe for this movie to be made/released?

Originally posted on: 18-Sep-2003, 08:44 GMT

elfwannabe [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby elfwannabe [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:42 pm

i tihnk they should start filming in late 2004 if they can get a studio to back them, which would mean a fall 2005 release date

Originally posted on: 18-Sep-2003, 15:17 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”