The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

elfwannabe [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby elfwannabe [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:42 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Alien-like head designs, worst-cliche-ever dark cyberpunk cityscapes... I fear my head is going to explode into bloody shreads when they'll release some of their angel (alien) concept-art. Lets face it, angels in NGE are too toy-like for a live-action film. I speculate they'll add some fangs and stuff for more menacing look and come up with Roland Emmerich's God-awful-zilla.

hello! the evas are aliens! and the cities in the series also have that cyberpunk thing going for them. the only difference is that in the series you almost always see them in daylight. id say the designs look cool as hell as of now

Originally posted on: 05-Aug-2003, 19:59 GMT

Orin_Quon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Orin_Quon [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:42 pm

elfwannabe wrote:i noticed that a lot of you people are basing your opinions on roumors and speculation. think about this logically for a minute. i highly doubt they'll use 12-14 year old kids for this movie. that might be what they want, but more often than not, what the studio wants is not what they get. count on 17-18 year olds. they might shift the timeframe a little to work, but that's fine by me. also, since harry potter is caught up in his own set of movies, i doubt he'll be in it. besides, he's already about 15, so by the posts given earlier, he can't play the part. judging from the released screeshots, WETA is keeping true to the overall look and feel of Eva (NERV looks very cool). of course it's not going to be an exact duplicate of the series, but what movei is? if they get the right director, like and earlier-mentioned Tim Burton (batman 1 and 2, the nightmare before christmas, sleepy hollow), or even Speilburg, the movie will be good. im expecting no less than a pg-13 rating

"SPEILBURG" would make the kids beat dinosaurs (Angels) bare-handed and crack jokes about it. Just like in Jurassic Park. Hell, he wanted to make Harry Potter into an american kid with a completelly different personality when he was offered the movie!

And Burton did SH_T with Sleepy Hollow and the Planet of the Apes remake.

We're complaining because

1. We already know the cast will not be Japanese.

2. Tokyo 3 doesn't look like Tokyo 3 (or should we say "New York 3"? Or "San Francisco 3")

3. The Eva heads.

4. It's definetly going to be a PG-13 movie.

5. Anno will be dealing with the Cutey Honey movie and won't do a thing in this one.

6. Adv is running the show, meaning we'll probably get cameos from their stupid dub actors, and who knows, maybe Foster wrote the script... "F_ck Shinji (actually called Bob)! What the f_ck do you f_cking think you're f_cking doing?".

7. How many animes/mangas worked in live-action?

8. Two hours can't tell Eva's story.

9. We already know they want a sequel, but we also know the first movie will tell a complete story.

10. This is America. Kids can't get messed up in mainstream movies.

Originally posted on: 06-Aug-2003, 08:42 GMT

Orin_Quon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Orin_Quon [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:42 pm

JmInuyasha wrote:I would have to say do not worry about the Evangelion live action movie. So far from concept art that was released in the July edition of New Type Magazine, it looks to be an incredibly interesting movie, (and sexy at that since also included was concept art of Asuka's, skin tight, plug suit:crush: ) so, i would have to say, watch out, and don't be so harsh to judge the movie yet, I have high confidence it is in the right hands.

How about we talk about the concept art of Godzilla, Armaggedon, ID4?

They look good. The movies are crap.

Originally posted on: 06-Aug-2003, 08:50 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:43 pm

Yea, concept art in no way reflects plot or charter developemnt. Which I am sure will be lacking.

I cant wait to see the trailers....

"In the streets of New York-3, one boy, whos name is bob, will defend the world against evil alien invaders. With the help of this friends, such as Marry, the hot tempered, red headed, English girl, and Betty, the quite loner with completely normal skin and eye color. With there giant robots at there hands, and they drunken, ****y, horribly mischarterised commander at there disposal, there is no way the can louse!! Come, see the travesty that is LIVE ACTION EVANGELION!!"

Or something to that affect

Originally posted on: 05-Aug-2003, 21:27 GMT

tbozfan [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tbozfan [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:43 pm

Orin_Quon wrote:It's definetly going to be a PG-13 movie.
That would be a bad thing?

It will probably be a little kids movie with the rating of PG.

Originally posted on: 05-Aug-2003, 21:39 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

tbozfan wrote:That would be a bad thing?

It will probably be a little kids movie with the rating of PG.

That is a bad thing in the sense that if they remained true to the story line, it would probably be "R". So thus editing will take place to make it available to a wider audience.

Originally posted on: 05-Aug-2003, 21:49 GMT

tbozfan [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tbozfan [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:43 pm

tv33 wrote:That is a bad thing in the sense that if they remained true to the story line, it would probably be "R". So thus editing will take place to make it available to a wider audience.
I don't see why it would be rated R. The Evangelion series really wasn't that bad.

Originally posted on: 05-Aug-2003, 21:53 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

tbozfan wrote:I don't see why it would be rated R. The Evangelion series really wasn't that bad.

Yes, the series was bound by TV restrictions. But look at it from the perspective of real actors, think episode 16. Though that part could be omitted to maintain the rating.

Originally posted on: 05-Aug-2003, 21:57 GMT

elfwannabe [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby elfwannabe [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:43 pm

Orin_Quon wrote:1. We already know the cast will not be Japanese.

no, you really don't. besides, the characters don't look Japanese, now do they?

2. Tokyo 3 doesn't look like Tokyo 3 (or should we say "New York 3"? Or "San Francisco 3")

big cities all look the same. just put some grassy hills in there, and it'll look like the tokyo in the series

[quote]3. The Eva heads. [/b]{/QUOTE]

look almost the same as the animated ones

[b]4. It's definetly going to be a PG-13 movie.

show me where you people learned this to say it with such confidence

5. Anno will be dealing with the Cutey Honey movie and won't do a thing in this one.

people can multitask. he's going to be involved, but most likely forgoed directing because of his other works. ill bet the it will work like the animatrix where anno will be consulted every so often to make sure everything goes smoothly

6. Adv is running the show, meaning we'll probably get cameos from their stupid dub actors, and who knows, maybe Foster wrote the script... "F_ck Shinji (actually called Bob)! What the f_ck do you f_cking think you're f_cking doing?".

have a little more faith then that. besides, manga entertainment put the profanity in the movies, not adv.

7. How many animes/mangas worked in live-action?

how many have been given this much attention? besides, GTO was awesome

8. Two hours can't tell Eva's story.

hence the two-part plan. i think it will be like the lord of the rings, where the 2nd part simply continues the story with no overlap

9. We already know they want a sequel, but we also know the first movie will tell a complete story.

again, please leed me to this information. what's the point of a sequel, which you said yourself they want, if you're going to tell the whole story in the first movie?

10. This is America. Kids can't get messed up in mainstream movies.

kids get killed, raped, and cut open on CSI: Miami, i think they can do the same in movies. besides, i said earlier that they might change the script to make the kids 18 or so, therefore giving them free raom to do all the twisted stuff they want

Originally posted on: 05-Aug-2003, 22:03 GMT

Orin_Quon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Orin_Quon [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:43 pm

elfwannabe wrote:no, you really don't.

Official word from ADV: the cast will be "international".

Is the cast in the Eva anime "international"?

Nope.

elfwannabe wrote:besides, the characters don't look Japanese, now do they?

So, are you saying Shinji is not Japanese?

elfwannabe wrote:big cities all look the same. just put some grassy hills in there, and it'll look like the tokyo in the series

If you say so.

elfwannabe wrote:show me where you people learned this to say it with such confidence

100 millions. Teen actors. SFX.

Who do you think they are aiming at?

Have you read the PR for the movie?

elfwannabe wrote:people can multitask. he's going to be involved, but most likely forgoed directing because of his other works. ill bet the it will work like the animatrix where anno will be consulted every so often to make sure everything goes smoothly

After EOE, Anno said he would never work with Eva again. He may be full of sh_t, who knows. But Hollywood producers and director would look at him and go "who's this Japanese guy? tell him to go away".

elfwannabe wrote:have a little more faith then that. besides, manga entertainment put the profanity in the movies, not adv.

ADV is the company known for adding cursing just to fill mouth flaps in the dubs, or just for comedy (I remember someone saying that they made a character in Sayuki curse, when it's cannon that he does NOT curse at all).

I don't watch dubs (i'm not that idiot), but my point is: ADV's dub directors and voice actors DO want to get into movies, some of them work on tv and teather. There's a good chance they'll put their finger in there.

elfwannabe wrote:how many have been given this much attention? besides, GTO was awesome

GTO is a 10 bucks movie, with no effects, no message, no religion, no drama, no "international cast", in the same country that the anime was made.

I guess GTO = Eva in your head, right?

elfwannabe wrote:hence the two-part plan. i think it will be like the lord of the rings, where the 2nd part simply continues the story with no overlap

I hope so (hmm, actually i don't), but everything says otherwise so far.

elfwannabe wrote:again, please leed me to this information. what's the point of a sequel, which you said yourself they want, if you're going to tell the whole story in the first movie?

First con report where they discussed the movie. The rep said it was a alternate (or retelling) of the FULL tv series in ONE movie. Look back in this and other threads here, because the link was posted in this forum. Have fun, because i'm not doing a search for you.

elfwannabe wrote:kids get killed, raped, and cut open on CSI: Miami, i think they can do the same in movies. besides, i said earlier that they might change the script to make the kids 18 or so, therefore giving them free raom to do all the twisted stuff they want

CSI is a not a 100 milion movie going against blockbusters. CSI can sustain itself on an adult viewership and the critics slowly leaning to praise it. Not to mention, CSI is a criminal, adult real-life-based show, not a 100 million (attempted) blockbuster movie.

Teens are what keeps Hollywood on its feet.

And in the last con (what, two pages back?) it was said it was 14 year-olds actors. Back a few weeks, they mentioned the Harry Potter kid (what is he? 16?). Meaning, no adults.

Originally posted on: 06-Aug-2003, 02:37 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Orin_Quon wrote:So, are you saying Shinji is not Japanese?

He is not saying that and you know it. How Japanese does Misato look with purple hair? How Japanese looking Yui with light brown hair and green eyes? The artiest just do that so the characters look unique. But you already know this.

If Shinji looks so distinctly Japanese why is he indistinguishable from Asuka as for as race goes? Hell, they both have blue eyes.

I don't expect them to cast Japanese actors anymore than I expect Japanese film makes to hire Europeans when they make movies based on Western stories.

Orin_Quon wrote:But Hollywood producers and director would look at him and go "who's this Japanese guy? tell him to go away".

Ang Lee (Well he is Chines, but you get the point) Image

Edit- Dont get me wrong, this moive will suck long and hard.

Originally posted on: 06-Aug-2003, 03:07 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:43 pm

I can't help but look at the idea of a live-action EVA movie and just think "DIE!" with a glare of death. I understand it's irrational to close off any possibility of me liking the movie, but I'm comfortable with that position.

Basically, I dislike the idea of a live-action EVA because the animation has something "special" to it, and that many of the things I love the most about EVA strike me as incredibly unsellable to the mainstream American market (Shinji, I'm quite sure, will get a makeover beyond an American name).

One thing I'm not worried about is the film "misrepresenting" Evangelion, creating a group of fans devoted to the "wrong" version of the story. In my mind, the live-action movie and the series will be seperate, but that doesn't mean people can't like BOTH, and they will be there for any fans that seek them out. Hell, the live-action movie may even introduce them to the EVA anime....

Naming names of companies involved doesn't get me excited either way. Both ADV and Gainax were involved with EVA, but Anno is its heart and soul, while those two merely adapted it to English, or helped Anno make it into an anime. In the case of either company, it's hard to say whether they'll try for EVA's "spirit" or take the basic ideas and go to town.

WETA might do good special effects, but I honestly don't care about that, especially since many visual elements look to be heading for a revamp.

But in the end, I just wish this never happened in the first place. Bah. :complain:

[And Orion_Quon? The language you watch anime in has nothing to do with your intelligence level. Image ]

Originally posted on: 06-Aug-2003, 04:21 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:43 pm

Hmm, well, first time I heard about this whole movie business, I got butterflies in my stomach. (Or I might have even felt like a bunch of harpy-fiends were descending upon me and violently ripping my viscera out. I can't remember exactly.) That tends to be the first thing that happens to me soon as I hear something "disconcerting".

Now that I've settled down a bit, I'm trying to maintain a detatched attitude. The movie could be very good or very bad. It's too early to tell and too early to make such a bloody fuss over it. I'm not crazy about the conceptual stuff that's been released so far, if it's any indication of what the final product will look like.

Personally, I would love to see what "NGE" might look like in "real life". I would love to see the closest real-life equivalents available of the Lilim characters and physical setting. I would love to see the Evas and Angels glorified in beauteous CG that maintains their original looks and spirit (while compensating for the huge upgrade in visual realism). And, as you folks might know, naked Evas that aren't unconvincingly ridiculous-looking -- as per GAINAX's meager offerings -- would make my heart soar. ::sighs happily::

But, yeah, this is a Hollywood movie, so things aren't going to be translated that straightforwardly. At best, we might get a fascinating reinterpretation. At worst... Well, you guys have already forseen some of the heart-shattering possibilities, so I don't need to get into it.

My philosophy is to wait and see. If it ends up sucking as so many of you fear, you can express your distaste rather simply: Don't give Hollywood your hard-earned cash. [Download the movie instead of actually going to see it! I know plenty of people who do!]

BTW, does anyway know exactly WHAT that strange thing in the Newtype scan that seems to harbor an Oviraptor-style head crest is? Anyone?? [Something in my gut tells me it might be poor Sachi-chan's makeover, though the scan is too crap for me to be sure of anything.]

Originally posted on: 06-Aug-2003, 05:28 GMT

Gundam_Warrior1 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gundam_Warrior1 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:45 pm

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/432/432931p1.html

Thoughts? It's only a rumor but eh it will heat something up.

Originally posted on: 10-Aug-2003, 18:31 GMT

PanzerGrenadier [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PanzerGrenadier [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:47 pm

I hope the eva movie gets canned. Should have kept eva as anime only.

Originally posted on: 10-Aug-2003, 18:38 GMT

PanzerGrenadier [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PanzerGrenadier [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:49 pm

I hope the eva movie gets canned. Should have kept eva as anime only.

Originally posted on: 10-Aug-2003, 18:38 GMT

PsycoGoth [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PsycoGoth [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:49 pm

PanzerGrenadier wrote:I hope the eva movie gets canned. Should have kept eva as anime only.

I agree; Evangelion shoud'nt be a movie. How the hell are they gonna make EVAs? CG or what? *can just see some 7 foor guy dressed as an EVA walking around trying to beat up another 7 foot tall guy dressed as an Angel* UNBELEIVEABLE!! :complain:

And don't get me started on Harry Potter being Shinji...:complain: That's absolutely unforgivable!! (if it's true)

Originally posted on: 10-Aug-2003, 18:47 GMT

Hathaway Noa [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hathaway Noa [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:49 pm

Hell if he saw Eva that they definately should make them all do he'll go back to making pothead movies.

Originally posted on: 10-Aug-2003, 19:22 GMT

Onv [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Onv [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:52 pm

That stupid little Harry Potter guy as Shinji:complain:....I might have to kill someone...:twitch:

Originally posted on: 10-Aug-2003, 19:34 GMT

The fly [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The fly [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:53 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOO

i hate that kid so much!!!!! hes a terrible actor!!! he is NOT Shinji!!!!!:complain: :complain: :complain: :complain:

Originally posted on: 10-Aug-2003, 19:44 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”