The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Plum [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Plum [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:33 pm

r they really making an eva moive or is this just ur hopes

Originally posted on: 24-Jul-2003, 19:02 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:34 pm

Some people may get into Eva and Anime as a result

Originally posted on: 25-Jul-2003, 01:09 GMT

aku ankka [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby aku ankka [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:34 pm

It has been updated.. http://us.imdb.com/Title?0368466

Apparently the movie`s going to be in danish Image....

Originally posted on: 27-Jul-2003, 17:43 GMT

HimuraProns [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby HimuraProns [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:34 pm

thats some danish movie, not Evangelion

Originally posted on: 28-Jul-2003, 04:39 GMT

tbozfan [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tbozfan [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:34 pm

aku ankka wrote:It has been updated.. http://us.imdb.com/Title?0368466

Apparently the movie`s going to be in danish Image....

Oh no. Not this again. That's not our Evangelion.

Originally posted on: 28-Jul-2003, 05:21 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:34 pm

I've asked this before, but because the thread where my question was originally located got deleted thanks to sir Spam-a-lot (quote: "monkeys r kewl") I'll ask it again here. Sorry if I'm being repetative.

So, where does it say that the live-action Eva is going to be an alternate retelling of the story? The couple of web pages I've seen only talk about retelling, nothing about "alternate".

Of course the movie, if made, has to be an alternate retelling because they're going to have to change or cut 95% of the original: I just want to know where it is stated (the old thread about it said it was "confirmed")

Originally posted on: 28-Jul-2003, 11:22 GMT

elfwannabe [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby elfwannabe [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:35 pm

im wondering how thry're going to pull this off with only a $100 million budget. i mean, the matrix had about $300 million for two movies and made every bit of use from it adn look what happened. eva is going to cram 40 hours of material (including all the tim needed to figure out what you just saw) into a two hour movie. if anno is on the team they might be able to pull it off, but im not sure. where can i get more info besides newtype?

btw, dr. nick, check out the july issue of newtype. it's got a small amount of info, but enough to tell you that it's going to be an alternate telling

Originally posted on: 28-Jul-2003, 15:50 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:35 pm

http://anime-tourist.com/article.php?sid=472

The live action Evangelion movie is in pre-production right now. Weta has done about 1200 color concept illustrations. After several drafts (they've been working on it for about six months now), they finally have a draft screenplay with the essence of the first half of the Evangelion series. It looks like the movie will only focus on the first half of the series since a 90 minute movie could not do justice to a 26 episode series. Everyone at Gainax loves the script and Ano said that it raised some ideas that he hadn't expected. Speaking of Ano, he will not be directing the movie nor will Peter Jackson, who just got the green light on King Kong (a series he *really* wants to do).

They are currently shopping the script around with various directors to find a director with the right background (sci-fi). Once they pick a director, the script will probably go through a few revisions to reflect the vision of the new director.

When asked if there is a big 7 studio involved, the answer was that there are several studions involved, but nothing can be said until all of the ink on the contracts is dry. To address concerns about how the special effects would be done, it was disclosed that Weta turned down two major projects to take on the Eva project ("They would shock you", Matt says). [ed note: So it would seem that Weta is very dedicated to the project. Look how good LOTR turned out.]

My opinions about the article: This "first half" thing is quite surprizing, because that would require a sequel later on. It seems they'd like to create a new science-fiction mega-brand out of Eva... Image

"There are several studions involved." Yeah, maybe in the planning stage, but when the time comes when true cash is actually needed, they're gonna chicken out. Eternal Truths of Hollywood, part 54: Science fiction doesn't sell (except Star Wars / Trek).

Just a side note: How long have they been planning live-action Akira? Helluva more simple concept to make a movie about, and still nothing...

And about "dedication of WETA": Dedication means nothing without skills. We're talking about the company that turned the massive trees near the gates of Moria into Monty Python -style shrubberies... :uhoh:

Same s**t, different day. I still have zero faith about the chances of this project to be realized.

Originally posted on: 30-Jul-2003, 09:04 GMT

elfwannabe [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby elfwannabe [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:36 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:http://anime-tourist.com/article.php?sid=472
My opinions about the article: This "first half" thing is quite surprizing, because that would require a sequel later on. It seems they'd like to create a new science-fiction mega-brand out of Eva... Image

"There are several studions involved." Yeah, maybe in the planning stage, but when the time comes when true cash is actually needed, they're gonna chicken out. Eternal Truths of Hollywood, part 54: Science fiction doesn't sell (except Star Wars / Trek).

And about "dedication of WETA": Dedication means nothing without skills. We're talking about the company that turned the massive trees near the gates of Moria into Monty Python -style shrubberies... :uhoh:

i think you're going into it with the wrong attitude. i think it was smart for them to break it up into two movies, seeing as how no one movie could encompass all of eva. as for sci-fi, you forget the matrix and MIB did pretty well along with ID4. most studios are afraid of sci-fi because of it's track record, but when it's done right, sci-fi looks amazing. about the ents, organic creatures are much harder to design and animate then machines. i know that the evas are really creatures, but they still have all that armor, which gives the definite shape and structure and are thus easier to make believable on-screen.

Originally posted on: 30-Jul-2003, 16:28 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:36 pm

MIB and Matrix also had sequels that sucked. And to nitpick, MIB was a succes because of the humor and dynamic main actors. Matrix became a hit because of its action scenes and style. The scifi-element in those films wasn't the most important factor.

I think Minority Report is a better example of a modern movie with true "hard scifi" involved. Can anyone give some numbers about its production costs and how much money it made? I'm too busy / tired to search them myself...

And BTW, I wasn't talking about ents, I meant just ordinary trees. I haven't yet seen the Two Towers, but I've heard the ents look like they've escaped from cheese factory.

Originally posted on: 30-Jul-2003, 17:51 GMT

elfwannabe [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby elfwannabe [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:36 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:MIB and Matrix also had sequels that sucked. And to nitpick, MIB was a succes because of the humor and dynamic main actors. Matrix became a hit because of its action scenes and style. The scifi-element in those films wasn't the most important factor.

I think Minority Report is a better example of a modern movie with true "hard scifi" involved. Can anyone give some numbers about its production costs and how much money it made? I'm too busy / tired to search them myself...

And BTW, I wasn't talking about ents, I meant just ordinary trees. I haven't yet seen the Two Towers, but I've heard the ents look like they've escaped from cheese factory.

you mean to tell me that the fact that the matrix was in the future and machines rules the world and there are cool hovercraft and they can hack into computer programs and the entire plot of the movie is to save the future by entering a world that simulats the past had nothing to do with the movie's success. it was all the total of 20 minutes of fights and bullet time? i think not. judging by the risks studios take on movies like the matrix and MIB and ID4 and the huge returns they get on them, i would think a smart studio would get the rights to eva as quickly. and in the future, don't comment on movies you haven't seen

Originally posted on: 30-Jul-2003, 17:58 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:36 pm

elfwannabe wrote:you mean to tell me that the fact that the matrix was in the future and machines rules the world and there are cool hovercraft and they can hack into computer programs and the entire plot of the movie is to save the future by entering a world that simulats the past had nothing to do with the movie's success. it was all the total of 20 minutes of fights and bullet time? i think not.

Considering that the Matrix Reloaded was almost wholly about fighting and CG-effects, I'd say yes, they matter the most. If the original Matrix didn't have its "hallway sequence", "the helicopter-minigun -sequence" etc., I think it wouldn't be half the cult film it is today.

Originally posted on: 30-Jul-2003, 18:04 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:36 pm

elfwannabe wrote:i know that the evas are really creatures, but they still have all that armor, which gives the definite shape and structure and are thus easier to make believable on-screen.

"Creatures"? They're as human as you or I! But that's just a nitpick, pay it no mind...

I definitely think the Evas have the potential to look kick@$$ in CG, but that depends on the final design they use... Odds are, they'll be portrayed "in armor" for most, if not all, of the screen time, though I continue to dream that MAYBE Weta will come up with (semi-)nekkid Evas at least marginally more convincing that what Gainax has done. ::drools at the thought::

If Zerogouki ends up looking anything like she does in that one concept artwork that's been released, though... "Interesting", "cool-looking" perhaps, but hardly the Evas I know and love.

I didn't have any qualms with the Ents in "Two Towers", but, then, I wasn't a fan of the books and I thus didn't have any expectations.

Originally posted on: 30-Jul-2003, 21:07 GMT

Lizarkeo [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lizarkeo [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:38 pm

Hiya,
I did some cool Evangelion Movie posters as a hobby (I post sometimes on comics2film.com's digital artist gallery), and I would like to share them with you dudes and dudettes, Eva lovers as myself Image

My homepage is in portuguese, but I prepared a "casting profiles" in english, just for the fun of it. Please, it's a fan's work, the castings are all my choices, nothing official.

http://zanitors.cjb.net/index.phtml?log=4&ed=33

Have fun!

Lizarkeo
The Brazilian Lizard

Originally posted on: 31-Jul-2003, 00:06 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:38 pm

Lizarkeo:

Oh my gawd, that was great... I don't know if it was your intention or not, but I laughed my arse off seeing those cast pictures. (Don't worry, I was laughing in a "good way".) ::tenderly wipes the tears from the corners of her eyes::

Maybe it's just me, but there's something terribly... surreal about imagining anime characters as real-life people played by actors in the flesh. Even if it was just for "the fun of it", great job, there. ;;D

Originally posted on: 31-Jul-2003, 00:21 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:38 pm

I'd just like to say that the ever present nature of this thread serves as a grim reminder of the unsavory future of the Live Action Evangelion Film. I hangs over this forum like a grim monolith casting it's shaddow over the discussions which find their home here.

Originally posted on: 31-Jul-2003, 06:01 GMT

tbozfan [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tbozfan [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:38 pm

That'd be funny if this movie was just a late night Sci Fi movie instead of a big theatrical moive.

Originally posted on: 31-Jul-2003, 07:46 GMT

elfwannabe [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby elfwannabe [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:39 pm

GandalfsStudent wrote:I'd just like to say that the ever present nature of this thread serves as a grim reminder of the unsavory future of the Live Action Evangelion Film. I hangs over this forum like a grim monolith casting it's shaddow over the discussions which find their home here.

that's because most people here refuse to consider the possibility that eva will be a good movie

Originally posted on: 31-Jul-2003, 16:17 GMT

HimuraProns [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby HimuraProns [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:39 pm

Lizarkeo wrote:http://zanitors.cjb.net/index.phtml?log=4&ed=33
Lizarkeo
The Brazilian Lizard

Thats probaly as close as we can get to actualy looking like the characters, its hard to port an anime character to real life. Maya ibuki will be easy to do.

Originally posted on: 01-Aug-2003, 00:14 GMT

Orin_Quon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Orin_Quon [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:39 pm

From ADV, on AFO4. Posted by Severance Darkseed onm AOD.com

"Currently in Preproduction.

Weta has done 1000's of coloured illustrations and concept sketches.
There have been several screenplay drafts done.

The movie is being done with the intention of doing a sequal as one movie couldn't hold the entire Eva storyline.

They are currently shopping directors. As expected there were no names other than "You've heard of them".

It's obviously going to be a mainstream production with an international cast.

They are currently looking for actors in the 12 year old range so that when they start shoting the kids will be the correct age of 14 or so.

Weta is currently working on the new King Kong movie and is split between prepro on Eva and work on King Kong."

Originally posted on: 03-Aug-2003, 21:47 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”