Interesting little details in 1.XX

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Interesting little details in 1.XX

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:29 pm

Edit: Rephrasing- these are details I noticed that might be relevant to plot.

1. Except for the scene with Pen-Pen, Rebuild is all "seriousness", with Ritsuko's swimsuit moment among other omitted things. Misato doesn't really seem to have been lost, as opposed to delayed by the blast wave from the N2 mine. (She might have been embarassed to have that map because she wasn't familiar with the place).

2. More noteworthy than the last one- when the LCL fills up, Shinji doesn't gurgle "Kimochi Warui". Anno and company seem to have kept that infamous line out this time along, although it might have also been because Misato's response was "Bear with it! You're a boy!", which would seem repetitive in a movie (Misato shouts "You're a man, aren't you?" in Episode 02 when they're at her home).

3. Eva-01 seems a whole lot more subdued this time along. It's already been pointed out that we can't see the Eva's face this time (Although Shinji apparently has Eva POV visions, like Sachiel's face jerking upwards), and that the Eva doesn't shield Shinji from lights that don't fall. I suppose the way the Eva overrode the stop signal plug the last time around had been too easy to explain how Nerv kept such a beast restrained. While some might say "Webuild Yui-sama is PHAIL11!!!!1!1", Anno probably wanted to show that something Nerv did was right, or was aiming for something totally different altogether. We'll see...

4. One of the (unsubbed) announcements seems to be saying something about "dai-hachi shoboban...". Does Sachiel's attack break through eight layers or armor at once or is that an attack on sector eight? We might have a scale for comparing X-blasts. Also of note, Sachiel's attack breaks through the roof of the Geofront once again while Ramiel takes his time drilling through.

5."This is what happens when an AT Field collapses." Quite appropriate, that's the same way people turned to goop in EoE.

6. G: "The Dummy Plug has been tested. If the pilot is unusable, we will sortie Rei in Eva-01"
F: "Rei in Eva-01? Very Risky."
Dummy Plug? Rei in Eva-01 is risky? And also, "The construction of Eva-03 is progressing nicely". It looks like the precedents for the Bardiel incident have already been set up, so this one might come sooner than we think.

7. Ramiel can alter his "phase space" so an Eva can't neutralize it (No mention of the amount of energy needed to kill it and no "Strongest ATF" yet. Figures.). I assume it has to do with the shapeshifting and core splitting. No mistake: he took a direct shot through the core and lived to go boso. Also, N2 mines might "pass through the A.T. Field" and cause damage to headquarters: it seems like that Armor is pretty useless against thermal attacks. If Ramiel had known...

8. Something I missed from earlier: Sachiel's face regenerates, but he isn't seen shooting down the recon aircraft like before. Nor do we get the dodgy accompanying lines "It can upgrade its functions." "Yes, otherwise it could not serve as an independent weapons platform". Good enough.

9. Seele speaks of the "Contract with Lilith" and Seele-01 speaks to Kaworu about a "Contract" again. Sadamoto had Keel speak to Kaworu about a contract in the Manga, but it looks like that's found its way into Rebuild. The Dead Sea Scrolls are mentioned again, so those foolish things haven't been chucked. I'd be curious to see what this "Contract" is all about.

10. Rei's holding a book with two columns of text per page, with what appears to be a large blotch on it. It has been suggested that this is a bible, on account of the twin columns of test, but at the moment, we lack high definition versions.
Last edited by UrsusArctos on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:58 pm

Edited. I'll add more when I get to them.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:24 pm

1. Except for the scene with Pen-Pen, Rebuild is all "seriousness", with Ritsuko's swimsuit moment among other omitted things. Misato doesn't really seem to have been lost, as opposed to delayed by the blast wave from the N2 mine. (She might have been embarassed to have that map because she wasn't familiar with the place).

I think that Misato having the map meant she still did get lost, but you know, "off screen". Yes this still makes it serious.

And yes....now Angels reverting to blood EVERY TIME means that, given that LCL doesn't look like Tang but like blood now.....the Tangification of humans and Angels is now identical.

I added in a buttload of other stuff I noticed in the "Differences between Rebuild and Original Series" stuff
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:08 pm

I should've clarified: I added details that I thought were plot-relevant. I suggested that Misato not being lost, apart from adding to the "seriousness" might mean that she's less goofy and more professional (And this is the overall impression I get from Rebuild. She's a lot more professional).

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:37 am

Yes, after watching a series of crappy and good quality camrips, I also seem to notice that change of seriousness. Maybe Anno thought that if they really were deeply in thought with Evangelion, they wouldn't mind if some of the "good" scenes got taken out and edited.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:50 am

I mentioned the seriousness as the first(and least important) of the points. Take particular note of what they say about the Evangelions- if anything, it's an indication of what might happen later.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:52 am

Does anyone have any similar details they've noted that they might want to add? Not "Kaworu on the Moon", "Sachiel-mask Lilith" or "Red Water"- we've done those already. What else do you notice that might be plot relevant?

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:29 pm

Does anyone have any similar details they've noted that they might want to add? Not "Kaworu on the Moon", "Sachiel-mask Lilith" or "Red Water"- we've done those already. What else do you notice that might be plot relevant?

Touji and Kensuke don't make fun of Shinji for staring at Rei. (shrugs)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:32 pm

1. Misato's comment on Terminal Dogma self-destructing if an Angel crosses the Triple EEE level does not bode well for anyone if Kaworu has his big "Hold Me Shinji" moment.

2. Kaworu either has a small package or is a Female in disguise according to his nudity on the moon. In his favor though it must be damn cold up there.

3. Misato's new frilly underwear can only mean good things if Asuka's first introduction to Shinji and the gang remains the same.

4. If such scenario happens the Toji fans (are there any? I like the guy) should be excited about Rebuild Crotch Shots. Complete with it changing shape and defending itself depending on the environment.

5. The loveable Ritsuko becomes a bitch a lot lot earlier.

6. Maya's still as cute as ever. But she needs to say her catchphase "THE ENTRY PLUG IS NOT RESPONDING" more often.

Not a plot point but an interesting tidbit- when Shinji is at the edge of the road and the search lights pick him up, I'm 100% sure those lights come up in exactly the same framing and relationship to the eyecatch sparkles on the TV show.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:15 am

Thank you, The Goose. :)

Yours is the only relevant reply in this whole spam thread. >_<

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:25 pm

6. Maya's still as cute as ever. But she needs to say her catchphase "THE ENTRY PLUG IS NOT RESPONDING" more often.

That's her "catch phrase"?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:52 am

I think it's her catchphrase as well. E.g,
Ritsuko: "Cut the nerve connections, now!"
Maya: "It's not working!"

Misato: "Eject the Entry Plug!"
Maya:"It's not working!"
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:54 am

"It's not working" is, I assume, "Dame desu!" Apart from that, Maya is well known for her, "Fuketsu..." ("Dat's naz-ty!").
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:51 am

But isn't that just how they say Hello in Japan?

Anywho, interesting tidbits. If the subtitles on the camrip are correct, Misato has had PenPen for 15 years. Now if she has the same relationship with 2nd Impact as she did in the show, is PenPen a fellow survivor of that incident who was genetically modified to live in warmer climates?

Another thing I noticed is Lillith is no longer kept in TERMINAL DOGMA. It's been simplified to CENTRAL DOGMA.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:36 pm

How can Pen-pen be 15 years old? O_o Do Penguins even LIVE that long? I thought he was only 2-3!!

And though it may have been already brought up, the fact that Lilith (with or with " ") is in Central Dogma now makes me wonder if there's ANOTHER giant in Terminal Dogma.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:10 pm

Doesn't Misato also clearly say that Pen^2 is one of those NEW warm-climate penguins.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:12 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:How can Pen-pen be 15 years old? O_o Do Penguins even LIVE that long? I thought he was only 2-3!!

Penguins don't have claws, either. Pen-pen is special. I get the impression he'd been GMed before 2I.

"Terminal Dogma" as I pointed out on the Wiki, is not a proper biological term. It's either made up by the creators, or misappropriated from some other (dubious) source. Notice that Episode 13, in particular, contains a gratituous amount of biological terminology. In my opinion, they either realized that there was no "Terminal Dogma" in molecular biology or decided not to toss a made-up term with so many real ones, and stuck to using "Central Dogma" (A very real term) instead.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:20 pm

Terminal Dogma just means that VERY VERY VERY bottom. I liked that name. It was TEH AWESOME!!! :w00:
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:00 am

All right, added the part about Rei's book to the first post.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:35 am

As for RoE Pen2, Misato says he's an "onsen" penguin. Shinji asks, do those kind of birds exist? Misato replies that 15 years ago there were lots of them.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”