Monstrous Heights

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Monstrous Heights

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:15 am

I was reading somewhere that Sachiel is hundreds of feet tall, which got me wondering... Just how big are the dimensions of the Angels and the Evangelion's? How tall are each of them? How wide? Weight?
Discuss.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:19 am

Reichu has a chart somewhere about. Evangelions are officially something like 40-200m tall (yes, a range is quoted).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:53 am

Evangelion heights, like Tines said, vary from 40 to 200 meters depending on the situation, and their weights vary from 700 to 96,000 tons(Heavier than an aircraft carrier!). It's all for dramatic effect.

This should do.

http://www.evacommentary.org/appendix/angel-size-comparison.jpg
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:18 am

OFFICIALLY, Eva are "40 meters tall".

This varies up to 200 meters in animation...HOWEVER, ALL of th establishing shots we have, that is, when people are inside the palm of an Eva (Toji and Kensuke in episode 3, Misato in episode 7, Kaworu in episode 24) plus entry plug size, etc., all seem to agree on the "40 meters" figure.

So it's "they are 40 meters tall, but sometimes they have fun and draw them bigger than that but that doesn't really count"
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:41 am

No, Gainax actually said that they "officially" go from 40 to 200 meters in height, with the same weight variations. Forty meters is their "normal" size since it's the size they take in most of the shots, but they expand for dramatic effect when needed. In fact, the official height and weight statistics for an Eva were never brought up until the Super Robot Wars game creators came to Gainax asking for Eva specifications.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:57 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:No, Gainax actually said that they "officially" go from 40 to 200 meters in height, with the same weight variations. Forty meters is their "normal" size since it's the size they take in most of the shots, but they expand for dramatic effect when needed. In fact, the official height and weight statistics for an Eva were never brought up until the Super Robot Wars game creators came to Gainax asking for Eva specifications.

well yeah, but "varies for dramatic effect in some shots" means it shouldn't REALLY be that way, if, for example, a live action movie project were trying to set it up....
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:53 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:No, Gainax actually said that they "officially" go from 40 to 200 meters in height, with the same weight variations. Forty meters is their "normal" size since it's the size they take in most of the shots, but they expand for dramatic effect when needed. In fact, the official height and weight statistics for an Eva were never brought up until the Super Robot Wars game creators came to Gainax asking for Eva specifications.

We have a bit of a sourcing problem here...

Here's the relevant image from the in-game robot encyclopedia (or whatever) found in Super Robot Wars Alpha, showing the aforementioned 40-200 meters size range. And based on this, we've all assumed Gainax had supplied Banpresto with these stats. But I wonder if this really is the case, as I've come upon this chart from an earlier SRW game (it has to be F or F Final), which displays rather different dimensions.

Of course, the bizarro sizes in the second chart could simply be a case of gameplay balancing. But my point is, do "official stats" actually exist at all? Perhaps Gainax doesn't care one bit, and these numbers are educated guesses made by some Banpresto employee, thus making them rather low-tier material canon-wise.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:11 pm

The possible explanation for this is
a) Gainax isn't really interested in the PHYSICAL relevance to everything else. More interested in the CONTENT
b) There is a secret plot where Evas are allowed to grow in size (most unlikely)
c) They are trying to get it off as one of those 'it is because of the theoretical camera angle'
I feel old

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:21 pm

The Imperialist wrote:The possible explanation for this is
a) Gainax isn't really interested in the PHYSICAL relevance to everything else. More interested in the CONTENT
b) There is a secret plot where Evas are allowed to grow in size (most unlikely)
c) They are trying to get it off as one of those 'it is because of the theoretical camera angle'

D) They're fucking with us.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:43 pm

@ earlier quote:
Well, Evangelions ARE humans, so it's not surprising if they grow.
And it is particularly hard to draw height similarities from varied angles, and especially when you've got surroundings like building etc.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:49 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:But I wonder if this really is the case, as I've come upon this chart from an earlier SRW game (it has to be F or F Final), which displays rather different dimensions.

There is no way an Eva can be only fifteen meters in height. That chart is totally, totally off. Judging from the size of the Eva next to people like Kaworu and Misato, forty meters is the minimum height.

Also, check your Emails, Nick. I've been asking you things about your newspaper project.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:52 pm

BEsERk EVA01 wrote:@ earlier quote:
Well, Evangelions ARE humans, so it's not surprising if they grow.

Well, the female growth spurt is between ages 7-12, the Evangelions are about 15 years old. :wink: Or getting more technical, they're hundreds of years old, because they're genetically Adam.
Shuddup 私はあなたを殺す。 ^_^
- Sachi

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:01 pm

Getting a bit off topic here, but I just want to ask, Do Evas actually experience what ordinary humans experience, like puberty, sexual emotions?

But judging from the Evangelion' size and dimensions in Episode 12 and other "running" movements, it must be for dramatic purposes.

Also, note that Eva 01 in Episode 12 is substantially taller and larger then all the buildings in Tokyo-3. But in Episode 3 in the battle against Shamshel, also note that Eva 01 is of similar size to the adjacent buildings. And the Eva can fit into the buildings as well.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:03 pm

BEsERk EVA01 wrote:Also, note that Eva 01 in Episode 12 is substantially taller and larger then all the buildings in Tokyo-3. But in Episode 3 in the battle against Shamshel, also note that Eva 01 is of similar size to the adjacent buildings. And the Eva can fit into the buildings as well.
The buildings shrink and grow all the time.
Maybe you should post a new thread asking that. :wink:
- Sachi

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:32 pm

This is the closest thing to SAUCE I've found so far, from the Proposal comments in Chronicle. MDWigs has mentioned something that sounds suspiciously similar, so I bet there's earlier word on the matter that I haven't located (yet, at least).

HEADING: All-Purpose Giant Humanoid Weapon

The majority of leading mecha in giant robot animation are “all-purpose giant humanoid weapons”. However, given the ambiguity of the expression “giant”, individual variability ranges between 20 and 200 meters depending on the production. Meanwhile, the Proposal describes the Evangelions with a “height of approximately 40 meters”, but, in reality, no definitive size is established. This allegedly is a result of “coolness” taking precedence over a set size. In contrast to people, buildings, etc., the Evas are depicted at whatever scale looks best.

(IMAGE: Shinji next to Eva-01 looking up at Gendo, episode 01.)

When contrasted with people, they are depicted at about 40m in height, which is approximately that of a 13-story building. However, their scale appears to be variable when entry plugs are being inserted and ejected.

(IMAGE: Eva-01 rushing through Tokyo-3, episode 12.)

Evas are also depicted at a considerable scale for battles within the city. Going by such scenes, they appear immense, standing about 3 times taller than the building district. Incidentally, a set height range of 40 ~ 200 m was published in the unit specs for Banpresto’s consumer game “Super Robot Wars F”.

Well, that doesn't help a whole lot, does it? All that suffering for nothing!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:16 am

Therefore, it was my theory a) that seems to fit.
I feel old

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:31 am

When contrasted with people, they are depicted at about 40m in height, which is approximately that of a 13-story building. However, their scale appears to be variable when entry plugs are being inserted and ejected.

My point is that if a live-action Eva movie is made and we're nit-picking about how "correct" they are, we should insist on "40 meters" if anyone asks....
Who is "Codename V"?....

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:11 am

Reichu wrote:Incidentally, a set height range of 40 ~ 200 m was published in the unit specs for Banpresto’s consumer game “Super Robot Wars F”.

Makes me wonder what kind of crazy bullshit booklet that scan I posted is from... Anyone want to try deciphering the Japanese text?

Also, I'm not entirely sure about that first status screen being from Alpha, so take those file names with a grain of salt.

a) Gainax isn't really interested in the PHYSICAL relevance to everything else.

See also: Gurren Lagann.

Operation Yashima
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Operation Yashima » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:15 am

Dr. Nick wrote:
Reichu wrote:Incidentally, a set height range of 40 ~ 200 m was published in the unit specs for Banpresto’s consumer game “Super Robot Wars F”.

Makes me wonder what kind of crazy bullshit booklet that scan I posted is from... Anyone want to try deciphering the Japanese text?

Also, I'm not entirely sure about that first status screen being from Alpha, so take those file names with a grain of salt.

a) Gainax isn't really interested in the PHYSICAL relevance to everything else.

See also: Gurren Lagann.

Huh? On the scan, in the table, the EVA sizes were all unlisted, which I suppose means N/A. The pic scale is meant to illustrate those with a correct height I think...

We'll establish that EVAs are ~40m, but everything in the EVA world shrinks and expands as Gainax wishes...so...

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:58 pm

But doesn't that mean Gainax might try to say about 'theoretical effects caused by the position of the imaginary camera'?
I feel old

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”