Several questions

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
KamaKase
Embryo

Several questions

•      
  •      

Postby KamaKase » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:54 pm

Yep, for true initiation onto an Eva forum you must pose some questions on EoE....or show a diff opinion on something......maybe not; but I'm gonna anyway.

I was just watching a few segments with commentary on (I was researching another board related question), anyway. There were a few things that either spawned from this....or are direct questions:

At the end of the film when Rei faces the Eva (which appears to be totally brown) someone says "sending away the final soul" or whatever. What exactly does that mean? Is it that Yui is still in there, but we "see" her again in the LCL a split second later? Shinji's obviously not still in there....as he's in the last bit.
It could very well be a defunct comment from the cast....but even then, Yui is saying over the top that there will be one soul left remaining to carry on human existance...and that would have to be done in the Eva, right? Could it be Gendou stuck in there? Is that his real "redemption"?

Secondly:

When they say that Asuka and Rei have the same bandages, from Rei at the beggining, and Asuka at the end.
Do you think it's possible that Gendou had been trying to create a third impact with Rei beforehand? That would possibly explain Shinji's vision of Rei at the start, yet perhaps she had already rejected it, and so the vision was called back quicker, and the whole "wanting to return" bit hadn't started yet.

A few things to perhaps ponder over (or not I dunno).
Comments?

Oh, and Merry Christmas. ;)
As seen many.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:01 pm

Watch EoE again, and this time turn the commentary off. It is bullcrap.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:00 am

Reichu wrote:Watch EoE again, and this time turn the commentary off. It is bullcrap.

Seriously, half of the ill conceived rumors surrounding Eva are the result of ADV's crap commentary--all it will do is confuse you...Now, if you wanna get some truly fine commentary, see the sig in the post above :)
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:29 am

bp32 wrote:Now, if you wanna get some truly fine commentary, see the sig in the post above :)

:oops:

To nitpick, it wasn't ADV this time -- it was AWL and her friends. I also doubt that she made up the rumors herself; she was just propagating preexisting ones.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:03 pm

Reichu wrote:
bp32 wrote:Now, if you wanna get some truly fine commentary, see the sig in the post above :)

:oops:

To nitpick, it wasn't ADV this time -- it was AWL and her friends. I also doubt that she made up the rumors herself; she was just propagating preexisting ones.

Crap, you are right--I always forget that it was Manga who did EoE (although they got most of the original english dub cast for it)...
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:32 pm

Manga distributed D&R and EOE, however they did not do the translation or ADR work. That was done by Gaijin Productions, which is essentially an offshoot of ADV, as it was founded by Amanda Winn Lee and Jason Lee, former ADV employees. So it may as well be ADV. Amanda Winn Lee did ADR work on the series, however had full reign on the movies. Considering that, they came out surprisingly well.

KamaKase
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KamaKase » Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:15 pm

If you would care to get off of your soap boxes and actually read the entirety of my post you will see that even if you the content from ADVs commentary you will find points of question and development.
The commentary may be rubbish (atleast in places.....the "brown eyes of Asuka" immediately come to mind), but it can still be used to bounce ideas of, so much so it surpasses the original point, which is what I have done here. I know very well that an argument based on a rickety premise holds no grounds......and yet the Ontological argument for God still exists.

All I'm asking is for you to do, is consider.
As seen many.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:47 pm

Okay, dude, I don't even know what the second question is asking.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:33 pm

And I can't really elaborate on what "sending away the final soul" means, since nothing along those lines even registers in my memory banks. Might help to pop the DVD in again and check what you're referring to. (Or, even better, quote the exact line off bochan_bird's script, which is somewhat more reliable than the one Manga's release used.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

KamaKase
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KamaKase » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:00 pm

Second question...or second point?

Either:

"Is it that Yui is still in there"? (My mistake...the counter should be out of the sentence)

"Do you think it's possible that Gendou had been trying to create a third impact with Rei beforehand?"

...I thought that was pretty self explanatory.

"I can't really elaborate on what "sending away the final soul" means, since nothing along those lines even registers in my memory banks."

It's on the commentary.
As seen many.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:49 pm

KamaKase wrote:"Is it that Yui is still in there"?

For the unforseeable future -- yes.

"Do you think it's possible that Gendou had been trying to create a third impact with Rei beforehand?"

"Possible"? Rei was his little personal tool for initiating and controlling the bloody thing.

"I can't really elaborate on what "sending away the final soul" means, since nothing along those lines even registers in my memory banks."

It's on the commentary.

Well... the commentary is crap. Nuff said.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

KamaKase
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KamaKase » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:05 pm

"For the unforseeable future -- yes."
Read the counter

""Possible"? Rei was his little personal tool for initiating and controlling the bloody thing."

That's not even close to answering the question.

"Well... the commentary is crap. Nuff said."
I've already responded to this.

You haven't even bothered to read my post at all!!
You know what. I give up. I just bloody give up.

You all just think you're so much better than everyone else...well. You're not, far from it. Get your heads out of your arse.
As seen many.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

The comic "non-sequitur" isn't non-sequitur enough

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:35 pm

KamaKase wrote:Do you think it's possible that Gendou had been trying to create a third impact with Rei beforehand? That would possibly explain Shinji's vision of Rei at the start, yet perhaps she had already rejected it, and so the vision was called back quicker, and the whole "wanting to return" bit hadn't started yet.

You see, the key to this question is this section:
KamaKase wrote:That would possibly explain Shinji's vision of Rei at the start, yet perhaps she had already rejected it, and so the vision was called back quicker, and the whole "wanting to return" bit hadn't started yet.

I know, our eyes sometimes tend to get lazy and skip a line or . . . three, so this should clear up any confusion.

What do I think? It's an interesting idea, but it raises too many questions.
KamaKase wrote:You all just think you're so much better than everyone else...well. You're not, far from it. Get your heads out of your arse.
If you're going to insult someone, make sure your insult isn't bad enough to where you're insulting yourself.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:01 pm

Overall, it's not very difficult to be informative than AWL and her friends were in that commentary. I'm still striving to reach her level of comic idiocy, though.

I think the reason you haven't gotten the answers you want is because people don't really understand just what it is you're asking. At least, I don't... and I'm usually decent at this sort of thing. It might help to be a little more lucid and slightly less acid.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Several questions

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:31 pm

KamaKase wrote:Yep, for true initiation onto an Eva forum you must pose some questions on EoE....or show a diff opinion on something......maybe not; but I'm gonna anyway.

I was just watching a few segments with commentary on (I was researching another board related question), anyway. There were a few things that either spawned from this....or are direct questions:

At the end of the film when Rei faces the Eva (which appears to be totally brown) someone says "sending away the final soul" or whatever. What exactly does that mean? Is it that Yui is still in there, but we "see" her again in the LCL a split second later? Shinji's obviously not still in there....as he's in the last bit. It could very well be a defunct comment from the cast....but even then, Yui is saying over the top that there will be one soul left remaining to carry on human existance...and that would have to be done in the Eva, right?

I haven't watched the ridiculous commentary in a long time so I don't remember that line, but as usual the commentary is wrong. It makes no sense to say that this is the last soul to be sent away, because it is the only soul to be sent away; the other souls all tumbled back to Earth when the Black Moon shattered. Yes. it's made clear that Yui and Unit-01 are going to float off into space permanently. Since Evas are immortal, at least one human soul will survive forever.

Could it be Gendou stuck in there? Is that his real "redemption"?

No, Gendo's fondest wish was to join Yui in Unit-01; his punishment was to be barred from that and suffer the same fate as the rest of us.
Secondly:

When they say that Asuka and Rei have the same bandages, from Rei at the beggining, and Asuka at the end.

The commentary is wrong again. Asuka's bandages are the opposite of Rei's, and correspond to the injuries she received fighting the Mass-Production Evas. The real point of the bandages is that Asuka reembodied herself with them the same way that Shinji manifested a plug-suit in Ep. 20, even though he was piloting in his street clothes in Ep. 19.
Do you think it's possible that Gendou had been trying to create a third impact with Rei beforehand? That would possibly explain Shinji's vision of Rei at the start, yet perhaps she had already rejected it, and so the vision was called back quicker, and the whole "wanting to return" bit hadn't started yet.

Do you mean Shinji sees Rei in Ep. 1 because Gendo was trying to start Third Impact right then? No, the Angels have to be defeated before Gendo can launch his version of 3I; otherwise they could still get ahold of Adam and kill us all, even in Instrumentality. That's Rei III at the beginning; once she gets god-like powers she transcends time and can show up whenever and wherever she wants.

I hope this clears up your questions.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:45 pm

thewayneiac wrote:The real point of the bandages is that Asuka reembodied herself with them the same way that Shinji manifested a plug-suit in Ep. 20, even though he was piloting in his street clothes in Ep. 19.

If the whole "plug suit pseudosubstance" thing was a lame-o attempt to correct a mistake, why would they want to 'validate' it in EoE?

Since Evas are immortal, at least one human soul will survive forever.

That's assuming she doesn't get herself killed somehow. :P
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:59 pm

Or falls into the center of the sun. =/
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:11 pm

Reichu wrote:
thewayneiac wrote:The real point of the bandages is that Asuka reembodied herself with them the same way that Shinji manifested a plug-suit in Ep. 20, even though he was piloting in his street clothes in Ep. 19.

If the whole "plug suit pseudosubstance" thing was a lame-o attempt to correct a mistake, why would they want to 'validate' it in EoE?

It's what Bob Ross used to call a "happy accident". The error correction gave them something useful.
Since Evas are immortal, at least one human soul will survive forever.

That's assuming she doesn't get herself killed somehow. :P

Yes, Evas are like the Elves in Tolkien, immortal except for when they aren't.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:35 pm

thewayneiac wrote:Yes, Evas are like the Elves in Tolkien, immortal except for when they aren't.

Quit dissing on Tolkien, the Elves in middle-earth don't die; if their bodies are slain their spirits go to Mandos and they are reborn. Evas, on the other hand, end after they are ripped to bloody shreds.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:40 pm

thewayneiac wrote:It's what Bob Ross used to call a "happy accident". The error correction gave them something useful.

How praytell is it "useful", except for providing a slipshod manner in which to dodge the whole issue of how someone could reembody from LCL with clothes on? (Most people wouldn't even bother with this kind of pretense.)

I'm still not really convinced that there is any "pseudosubstance" reasoning behind Asuka's bandages. I'm probably just dense, but I never did quite understand the point of them in the first place...

Yes, Evas are like the Elves in Tolkien, immortal except for when they aren't.

Can the Elves take the ungodly amounts of abuse that the Evas can?

I get the sense that "immortal" generally means "you live forever unless forcibly killed", generally remaining in an ideal and unaging physical state, whereas us lousy mortals have to deal with physical degradation and our bodies eventually committing suicide no matter HOW much care we take of them.

Dave wrote:Quit dissing on Tolkien, the Elves in middle-earth don't die; if their bodies are slain their spirits go to Mandos and they are reborn. Evas, on the other hand, end after they are ripped to bloody shreds.

Same thing with Evas. When they die, their souls go to Eden and they, too, are reborn.

Hey, stop looking at me like that.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”