Resident Evil

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:41 am

fadingreminder wrote:#1: I'm not through with it yet!
#2: Cleveland is only like, 5 or 6 hours away, just come over and play it!

Actually, my copy from Amazon shipped last night (much to my surprise). I should be getting it sometime this afternoon (Yipee!).

Playing as Wesker is really fun, but his levels are really hard. I had to fight this huge Shaft looking guy and he took three rocket launcher shots to the head and kept coming.

Did he look like this by chance?
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby fadingreminder » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:06 pm

Woah, double-post hiccup... My mistake.

No, it isn't Nemesis. It's a human (as far as appearance goes). He really does look this huge, Samuel-L-Jackson-as-Shaft guy with these weird wrap-around sunglasses. I had to fight him in the RE:0 portion of the game. The closest thing I can compare him to is a human Mr. X. He's with a yet-unnamed Russian, who isn't Krauser, who are trying to kill/bully Wesker.

Regular headshots don't work on the zombies either, you really do have to hit either the forehead or the top of the head to destroy the brain, just shooting them in the cheek or chin doesn't cut it. It really adds to the difficulty. The crimson heads are back from REmake and I have yet to headshot one, they're so damn fast.

I could go on and on, but I don't to ruin this game for anyone... IGN apparently gave this game a poor/mediocre review. Total bollocks.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:03 pm

fadingreminder wrote:IGN apparently gave this game a poor/mediocre review. Total bollocks.

I saw that. But to their credit, they said hardcore RE Fans (us) would enjoy it no matter what, which seems to be the case.

Frankly, I'm more bothered by the fact that Resident Evil 2 didn't make it into the game. I was really looking forward to revisiting the police station damn it! IGN said it might be because Capcom was making a Resident Evil 2 remake. God I hope so, that'd be the shit!

BTW, did Code Veronica make it into the game, or did they stop after 3?
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby fadingreminder » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:14 pm

TriLink12"][quote="fadingreminder wrote:Frankly, I'm more bothered by the fact that Resident Evil 2 didn't make it into the game. I was really looking forward to revisiting the police station damn it! IGN said it might be because Capcom was making a Resident Evil 2 remake. God I hope so, that'd be the shit!
Shit! I didn't know RE2 wasn't in it, that sucks... I hope they are remaking it, that would be amazing.

As for RE:CV, don't know yet. There are apparently 4 main scenarios, I've only got 3 of them open: RE:0, REmake, RE3. I'll try to finish RE3 when I get home, I was hoping the fourth would be RE2, maybe it is RE:CV. There are a crap-ton of sub-scenarios too. You can play as Rebecca to see what she did during REmake, play as Wesker to see what he was doing pre-RE:0 until whenever... Good stuff.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:29 am

fadingreminder wrote:He really does look this huge, Samuel-L-Jackson-as-Shaft guy with these weird wrap-around sunglasses.

wow, what a coincidence, im wearing a Samual L. Jackson T-shirt
"there are muther F***cking snakes on this muther F***cking plane"

wait, is RE:CV and RE:UC have the same camera view as in RE4
i really liked that compared to how it was before
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby fadingreminder » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:40 am

Sachiel_13 wrote:wow, what a coincidence, im wearing a Samual L. Jackson T-shirt
"there are muther F***cking snakes on this muther F***cking plane"

wait, is RE:CV and RE:UC have the same camera view as in RE4
i really liked that compared to how it was before
No, RE:CV has the original camera view with rendered backgrounds. RE:UC is a whole new take. It's like House of the Dead meets Resident Evil.

I never got to beat RE3 last night, the difficulty got turned up about 500%, it's diabolical!

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:20 pm

fadingreminder wrote:I never got to beat RE3 last night, the difficulty got turned up about 500%, it's diabolical!

Yeah, I noticed. I beat 3 a couple of hours ago, and they definitely kicked it up a notch.

As for the 4th scenario; it's not Code Veronica. It's a totally new level that takes place in Russia. On the one hand this is a good thing, because we get to see Chris and Jill re-united to kick some Umbrella ass. But unfortunately, we won't get to see that sexy bitch Claire (damn it!).

Haven't seen Rebbecca or any of the other characters in Level 4 yet, but I'm hoping they'll make an appearance too. I've always wondered what happens to her after RE 1.
Last edited by TriLink on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:11 pm

TriLink12"][quote="fadingreminder wrote:I never got to beat RE3 last night, the difficulty got turned up about 500%, it's diabolical!

Yeah, I noticed. I beat 3 a couple of hours ago, and they definitely kicked it up a notch.

As for the 4th scenario; it's not Code Veronica. It's a totally new level that takes place in Russia. On the one hand this is a good thing, because we get to see Chris and Jill re-united to kiss quote]

???? :? ?????
I won.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:23 pm

The preview button is your friend...

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:50 pm

fadingreminder wrote:RE:UC is a whole new take. It's like House of the Dead meets Resident Evil.

oo, wow, i guess i'll have to check that out
but i guess i have to get a Wii 1st
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:17 pm

the_seventh_child wrote:I also liked RE4, i don't know why so many people hate it.

i liked that one, it was way easier to play then the other games. I WAS ACTUALLY ABLE TO USE THE ANALOG STICK!!! as to, in the other games i have to use the arrow-pad. but, as all the RE games are, it was cheasy. how many times did Ashley get kidnapped??? and why didnt Leon give her a gun or a knife or somthing?
- Sachi

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:03 am

I’m 2/3 years late to the party, but I finally got around to playing RE5. I need an outlet.

Bouncing-Buddhas, I loathe this game.
    Terrible presentation, unintuitive controls, some of the worst boss battles ever designed, words cannot describe my hatred of Sheva, and needless to say- the game had about as much horror and atmosphere in it as a trip to the cake shop.
The only moment things seemed to be going well was during the build-up to the Lickers:
Teh Lickers R comming 4 joo  SPOILER: Show
We see pools of blood.
Scratches cover the walls.
One of them crawls across the ceiling before you get a good look at it.
We pass by a bunch of caged animals…
Something’s going to jump out. I know it. This is going to be great. Scare me, Capcom, scare me.
I reload my shotgun and pause to check my inventory-

(Most feeble sounding glass-shattering sound effect ever)

…huh?

Oh.

Two Lickers are crawling towards me.

…very slowly.

Kablam. Kablam.

HOW do you screw up a glass-shattering scare!?
I’ll probably wait another 2/3 years for RE6 to go down in price, RE5 sure as hell wasn’t worth its full price.

The gamecube remake of RE1 remains one of my most favourite games.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:54 pm

Call me blasphemous for saying it, but I have a feeling all the current problems with resident evil stem from RE4, namely the fact that it went from the fixed camera actually scary game genre, to a new CoD:Michael bay explosions formula with simple over the shoulder third person mechanics.

While the new RE games suck as RE games I generally enjoy them as shooters, as well as what little connection they share with the original titles.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:12 am

I tried out the Resident Evil HD Remaster today on Steam. For some reason, amidst all the various control options, there is not a single one that replicates the PlayStation original's, nor one that analogously replicates the GameCube version for that matter. The one that comes closest uses Circle rather than Triangle as the menu button, which is annoying enough when I've been using the topmost face button as the menu button since at least REmake, but it double-annoys because it leaves no way to back out of the status screen with a single press. All the other pre-sets are either a shoehorning or mimicry of modern controls where they don't belong (and are not even consistent with the modern control schemes they're trying to ape anyway) or else truly, truly bizarre. As in "B to walk forward, double-tap B to run, A to walk backward" bizarre.

I can at least kind of imagine the logic behind some of these pre-sets, but why not a single one that provides the control scheme that's been in every RE since at least REmake and up to as recently as RE5? The one where (using XInput terminology) Y is menu, A is action, X is run, RT is aim, and RT+A is shoot (X and A sometimes trading roles). Even RE4 on the PS2 had exactly that control scheme, translated to PS2 equivalents of course. And if they were going to offer control schemes this outlandish, why couldn't they allow custom mapping like they already do if you're playing with a keyboard? Or like they did already on a previous version of the same game: the PlayStation Director's Cut version, which let you assign buttons however you pleased (within certain constraints)... back in 1997. This is neither new nor difficult.

While I can technically hack together a solution thanks to the magic of the PC, I'm not happy that I have to go to such an extreme, and I was enough of a marginal buyer anyway that if I could get a refund I'd be seriously considering it. If that sounds picky to you, consider that I've already beaten this game at least 6 or 7 times now across the GameCube and Wii versions and care little enough for the upgraded graphics (which are legitimately spotty in places and surprisingly clash with the overall aesthetic many a time) that even something like this is enough to make yet another playthrough of questionable value.

Given how many hours of my life I've already poured into this game, I had severe misgivings in the first place about purchasing yet another version of it, so don't take this as any kind of disrecommendation for the game. I suspect most people will consider this a minor nitpick at best. In my case rather it's that I was looking for some thin excuse to play the game again when my every inclination otherwise is to not, so of course any little thing that mars the experience is going to be enough to dissuade me.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:58 pm

It's happening: Capcom is officially remaking Resident Evil 2.

http://gematsu.com/2015/08/resident-evil-2-remake-officially-announced

Fingers crossed that they remake Code Veronica X and RE3 in the near future as well.
[Redacted]

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:35 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:It's happening: Capcom is officially remaking Resident Evil 2.

Honestly never thought I'd see the day; people have been saying this since, like, 2002. I'm incredibly happy about the announcement since RE 2 is one of my all time favorites, but I just hope, hope, hope that CAPCOM doesn't change the gameplay, camera angles or controls to satiate the idiot "TANK CONTROLS LOLOLOLZ" haters on the internet. Hopefully they don't change Leon's sweeeet late 90's haircut either. :wink:

But yea still really awesome news. I always found the police station to be the creepiest location in any of the games and seeing it rendered with the current technology should be a real treat for us lifelong Resident Evil fans.

And if good ol CAPCOM keeps the old timey controls and gameplay and this title sells well(like REmake earlier this year) maybe they'll fulfill my dream of releasing a new RE with new characters but in the same vein as the pre-RE4 games. Doubt it'll happen though..
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:35 am

I am absolutely ecstatic. RE2 was easily my favorite until the remake of RE1 stole the show. Just thinking about all those Crimson Heads dashing through the police station in glorious HD fills my heart with a unique combination of terror and joy. Let's hope they add just enough new content to keep things fresh without compromising the feel of the original game. The first remake pulled it off without a hitch, so I'm feeling confident.

I'd really like to see Mr. X have a greater presence, similar to Nemesis. I'd also be slightly disappointed if they didn't add another enemy type besides Crimson Heads. Maybe a new V-Act for dead Lickers? They always seemed a little underpowered to me.
Set phasers to thrill.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:11 pm

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:Honestly never thought I'd see the day; people have been saying this since, like, 2002. I'm incredibly happy about the announcement since RE 2 is one of my all time favorites, but I just hope, hope, hope that CAPCOM doesn't change the gameplay, camera angles or controls to satiate the idiot "TANK CONTROLS LOLOLOLZ" haters on the internet. Hopefully they don't change Leon's sweeeet late 90's haircut either. :wink:

But yea still really awesome news. I always found the police station to be the creepiest location in any of the games and seeing it rendered with the current technology should be a real treat for us lifelong Resident Evil fans.

And if good ol CAPCOM keeps the old timey controls and gameplay and this title sells well(like REmake earlier this year) maybe they'll fulfill my dream of releasing a new RE with new characters but in the same vein as the pre-RE4 games. Doubt it'll happen though..

Fuck no. The main reason I stayed away from the old RE games is the shitty controls. Same reason I dropped Onimusha pretty quickly. They can keep the fixed camera but dear god, send the tank controls to hell where they belong. They were shitty then and they're shitty now.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:17 pm

^As one of the few people who legitimatey liked the old fixed-angle tank controls, I hope they do what REmaster did, and give us an option between the original controls and reworked controls that operate based on how the camera is positioned.

That being said, I wouldn't be altogether disappointed if they made the whole thing over-the-shoulder like RE4-6. Still, having options is nice.
Set phasers to thrill.

Ieyasu
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Ieyasu » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:14 pm

My desire to see a RE2 remake predates my longest serving RE forum membership of 12 yrs... I can hardly believe they say they're actually going to do it.

I feel like I should drink to it.... or something...
WHERE'S PAUL VERHOEVEN WHEN YOU NEED HIM

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”