[LAEM] An all Asian cast could work in America

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

S.A.L
Embryo

Postby S.A.L » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:07 am

Alaska Slim wrote:You are mentioning Hollywood as if they are the dominant force here... why? WETA is based in New Zealand, and though it's a bit of a stereotype now, I wouldn't mind them shooting the film there because, like Japan, it's an Island, and imitates their terrain very well.

If Saving Private Ryan can get away with filming the "beaches of Normandy" in Norway, and many "American" set films that were actually filmed in New Zealand, I don't see why they can do the same here, they would probably only need location shots like that for whenever the characters were out and about the city, which is... well, a rare occurence in Evangelion, most of it would probably be the school yard.

As to the cast, I'm counting on that they will get a lot of people we don't know of, especially for the pilots whom they promise to cast as the proper age. 8)

They can't and won't cast the "proper" age. It's a flexible term. Note the quote marks.

They'll probably just use Singapore as filming location for Tokyo-2/3 (either), since it's closer to NZ.

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

Postby CitizenGeek » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:58 pm

Nah, an all-asian cast will not happen. American audiences would not go to see such a film on the scale that ADV probably wants. It'll be European actors. Maybe they'll just change Shinji's nationality and make him British or something, but his mother can still Japanese and therfore there'd be an explanation for his name being Japanese. It's not like nationality played a big part in Shinji's character, anyway.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:38 am

While (AFAIK) there is no precedent for an American action movie with an all Asian cast, there are precedents for American movies with all Asian casts. I believe that ADV, if they ever get this project out of development hell, will use a mostly Asian cast. Not necessarily mostly Japanese, but definitely mostly Asian. Or at least, people pretending to be Asian. I'm worried that Robin Williams will be Gendo, but still play him as an Asian. The logic being if David Caradine can pull it off...

The reason we are saying this will be majorly influenced by Hollywood is that they are the ones with the money to pull this off. WETA is not financing this, they are being hired. And yes, many Hollywood movies shoot outside of the US, so just because this is shot in another country, that doesn't mean ADV will be free of Hollywood's reign.

Like I've said, I truly believe that what will ruin this movie will not be Hollywood, but Matt "I created Eva" Greenfield.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:02 am

shinesman_cobalt wrote:"Letters from Iwo Jima" and Evangeliong are two different things. Also, as someone pointed it, it may have gotten Nominations, but it bombed at the box office. I imagine Eva will be a summer-blockbuster kinda movie, so the box office preformance will be important. Personally, race never bothered me, so long as the actors can ACT. I do however, hope they atleast get an Asian Rei, and that she is albino. jsut because, that will express the inherent creepiness that is Rei.

It can be said that Letters bombed for reasons other than the ethnicity of its cast. Subtitles, for one. Dull saturation as well, perhaps. In any event, while it did gross less than half of what its sister film, Flags of our Fathers did in the US, it beat Flags worldwide by about eight million dollars. Take also into account that at the height of distribution, Letters was shown in half as many theaters in the US as was Flags. I didn't see it until near the end of its run because it was not showing anywhere close to me; someone must have eventually requested it at the local AMC. (You can do that, you know.)

There are too many variable conditions and not enough examples overall to determine what response an action/sci-fi movie with a predominantly Asian cast would elicit from American audiences. The argument that "Americans will not go to see a movie filled with Asians" is too broad a conclusion to draw and based on thin evidence whose validity is often conditionally-enforced by things like lax distribution and sometimes overall shittiness--whether in content or production--of the product. If the film is good and engaging and deserving of a large audience, and is given proper distribution (as Asian or Asian-themed movies*, it seems, seldom are for some reason), I don't know how we can reliably predict the outcome.

*And no, martial arts films don't count. They are martial arts films and nothing more. Fill them with nothing but black guys and they are still martial arts films.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:16 pm

We're talking a film that would have a budget most likely north of $150 million.

Do you think any studio is going to take risks of ARTISTIC INTEGRITY and FAITHFULNES TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL when that much cash is at stake.

To studios Evangelion is a PROPERTY. It's a possible FRANCHISE. Factors like actually having 14 years in plug suits and casting the right actors will be second nature to assuring the longevity of a series. Expect 1, perhaps 2 Asian actors in the entire cast. Expect a New York 3. Expect roles going out to the actors of the highest box office appeal.

- Tyler Perry as Fuyutsuki.

Look, I'm against an Eva movie cause its most likely NOT going to be original. With so much cash and possibiltiy of a franchise at risk they're not going to sitting there saying "We should cast an all Asian cast for this film based off a series that has very few leads who actually look Asian". No. They're going to check the Whats HOT and whats NOT list and decide from there who's gonna play who.

Jessica Alba as Ritsuko huh? Well, Fox did it with her and Fantastic Four. Sure, people hate the movies but they make money. Let's also cast cast Chris Evans as Gendo.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:15 pm

Nah, I seriously believe that if a white guy is Gendo it'll be Robin Williams.

If they do Americanize it badly, the only way it can be saved is if they actually make Hyuga black.
:D
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:18 pm

cat42 wrote:the only way it can be saved is if they actually make Hyuga black.

QFMFT
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:33 am

S.A.L wrote:
They can't and won't cast the "proper" age. It's a flexible term. Note the quote marks.

They'll probably just use Singapore as filming location for Tokyo-2/3 (either), since it's closer to NZ.

No, I say they will, until I see some evidence to say what ADV stated was wrong.

CitizenGeek wrote:Nah, an all-asian cast will not happen. American audiences would not go to see such a film on the scale that ADV probably wants. It'll be European actors. Maybe they'll just change Shinji's nationality and make him British or something, but his mother can still Japanese and therfore there'd be an explanation for his name being Japanese. It's not like nationality played a big part in Shinji's character, anyway.

They've stated they will keep the original names for many of the Characters, Asian names with Caucasian appearance? Yeah, THAT will work REAL well...

Gendo'sPapa wrote:We're talking a film that would have a budget most likely north of $150 million.

$120 million, oddly enough, I somehow mixed it up with 150 myself for a while....

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Do you think any studio is going to take risks of ARTISTIC INTEGRITY and FAITHFULNES TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL when that much cash is at stake.

Based on what Richard Taylor has said (and that he's now all "chummy" with Hideaki Anno), what ADV stated WETA’s state of mind is on the project, the things they've promised will occur, such as proper casting for the pilots, and names staying as they are, not to mention Mr. Anno himself has signed on as an advisor (which could mean nothing, yet, could mean everything, it all depends on the capacity he is utilized), I believe they will, they had the audacity to call Eva the "Lord of the Rings of the East", and if they can sell on that, any studio would be blinded by dollar signs to much care what "risks" were taken, as there will be, to them, a serious chance to be involved in a top 5 world grossing series (something WETA accomplished with LOTR, and is the very thing which would give them much leeway on any project they do).

Gendo'sPapa wrote:To studios Evangelion is a PROPERTY. It's a possible FRANCHISE. Factors like actually having 14 years in plug suits and casting the right actors will be second nature to assuring the longevity of a series. Expect 1, perhaps 2 Asian actors in the entire cast. Expect a New York 3. Expect roles going out to the actors of the highest box office appeal.

For the adult roles, maybe, for the pilots, I'm expecting unknowns, as to the location, forget it, Asian names but an American location? Same problem as casting white-American actors.

Look, I'm against an Eva movie cause its most likely NOT going to be original. With so much cash and possibiltiy of a franchise at risk they're not going to sitting there saying "We should cast an all Asian cast for this film based off a series that has very few leads who actually look Asian". No. They're going to check the Whats HOT and whats NOT list and decide from there who's gonna play who.

I don't mind some deviation, lord knows it would be a bit boring if were JUST the animated series adapted into live action, everything would be way too predictable.

So long as the characters remain true to who they are, and some hint to Eva's original message remains, and nothing happens that would make a mockery out of the original in general, then I'll be satisfied.

Nah, I seriously believe that if a white guy is Gendo it'll be Robin Williams.

If they do Americanize it badly, the only way it can be saved is if they actually make Hyuga black

Williams is too type-casted to play the role, there's no way people would be able to take him seriously. The guy was able to find and play a comic role in HAMLET for Christ’s sakes! His mannerisms, his appearance, heck, even his voice just wouldn't cut it. 8)
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

bap_120790
Adam

Postby bap_120790 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:58 am

Asians that look part caucasian are ok. But Asians that look, well, Asian, don't fit the characters in Eva in my opinion. White actors are ok, but whoever's casting should still consider if there are Asians that could play, _and_ look the role of whoever.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:16 am

Honestly, I've never seen anyone who was white who could make a convincing Kaworu.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”