Rebuild: Canon???

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

Rebuild: Canon???

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:01 pm

With Evangelion as "a story that repeats itself"
Can we rely on it as cannon?
Say if rebuild "seems" to answer some older questions about the original
not that it will
Can we can we actually say that the question was answered correctly?
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:03 pm

So far, it seems to be its own continuity. But we'll see, it may end up being the same as the TV series.

Wevangeliwon
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Wevangeliwon » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:20 am

If it is indeed true that Rebuild proves that time is a circle, then it can be considered a sequel.

Although, since it is like a reboot, I consider it a canon unto itself.

Squiggy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Squiggy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:28 am

I think the real question is "Is Rebuild actually necessary?"
Don't like Eva?

What's the matter, too DEEP for you?

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:31 am

It's all an elaborate plan to get the new generation snared. Anno needs the revenue, so he's getting new teens to like the series, and since Rebuild isn't gonna be just a retelling, they'll all go back and watch the old series, but since it isn't airing, they have to buy it. So they spend money. Then they buy EOE. Then they buy merchandise. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Wevangeliwon
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Wevangeliwon » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:32 am

Well, we won't know until we know the final outcome. Besides, if they are making such a commitment as to make four new movies, then I think they deemed it necessary. If not, just make a PSP called Rebuild of Evangelion taking the player through the series.

Squiggy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Squiggy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:36 am

Shiro wrote:It's all an elaborate plan to get the new generation snared. Anno needs the revenue, so he's getting new teens to like the series, and since Rebuild isn't gonna be just a retelling, they'll all go back and watch the old series, but since it isn't airing, they have to buy it. So they spend money. Then they buy EOE. Then they buy merchandise. Rinse, lather, repeat.

... You could not have made a more accurate description of how I got into Eva..... fuck you Anno....
Don't like Eva?

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:18 am

It's not Anno, it's mainly Gainax. Anno's already expressed disdaine at tthe incredible amount of Eva merchandise out there, so I seriously doubt he'd wholly support the system.
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

Squiggy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Squiggy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:27 am

Indigo Arcangel wrote:It's not Anno, it's mainly Gainax. Anno's already expressed disdaine at tthe incredible amount of Eva merchandise out there, so I seriously doubt he'd wholly support the system.

He's still a very twisted man
Don't like Eva?

Wevangeliwon
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Wevangeliwon » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:29 am

Indigo Arcangel wrote:It's not Anno, it's mainly Gainax. Anno's already expressed disdaine at tthe incredible amount of Eva merchandise out there, so I seriously doubt he'd wholly support the system.

Exactly. Anno isn't going to support that kind of system when I have heard him say before he doesn't like it. I believe in Anno to honestly deliver us something that we will all enjoy. And who knows, if it is a sequel, I just know he will make it good.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:57 am

I really hope Gainax doesn't tie Rebuild with the old series. They said they wanted it to be more accessible to people who've never seen. Having the films tie into the old series would brake that, plus it would make people have to watch the old series to know whats going on.
Last edited by The Goose on Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:14 pm

No, I don't think it can be considered canon for the TV series. It's 'canon' all by itself.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes.

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:00 pm

I think it would be quite possible to make this into a sequal withought it being inaccessible to new audiences. You just have to keep things ambiguous in the same sort of Eva-ish way that we're used to. People would therefore become interested in the older series, but they wouldn't have to watch it.
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:09 pm

In a completely unrelated question way off topic-

I don't have time today to rant and rave as per usual (sidenote- I believe anything Eva based by Anno himself immediately becomes cannon to some degree or another)

My simple question is one that I don't think I've ever heard come up
-
Does Hikari in any way shape or form show up in Eva 1.0. I know her part would be limited to one or two lines at best but that question hit me today at work. And for such a popular 2nd tier character I've not heard a thing.

Later

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:45 pm

From what I can make out, Hikari Horaki is nowhere in sight.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:49 pm

Wow. That's an interesting observation, I didn't notice that in the Rebuild 1.0 audio! :shock: Somewhat ironic, considering Newtype mentioned 1.0 will be a "school setting" and one of the two Theatrical Posters feature Hikari along with the other students on there...

Anyway, it's really too early to tell whether or not Rebuild is Canon with the original series/movie. If it is, I think it's possible that it'll be done right (Eva IS Anno's baby, after all ;)), but I guess only time will tell either way.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:57 pm

Newtype also put Asuka in those posters, IIRC, and Asuka isn't introduced in 1.0. I listened to the part where Toji and Kensuke leave to see the Shamshel fight, because they have a conversation with Hikari at that point. If they had to put the class rep in, that's the place to do it.

And Toji and Kensuke are clearly seen in the official trailers so far, and even Pen-pen is seen, but no Hikari.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:59 pm

so if no hikari in1.0 can we expect to see her in the future?
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:07 pm

EvaCub wrote:so if no hikari in1.0 can we expect to see her in the future?

WHAT WHAT WHAT?
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:48 pm

I fail to see how a movie that's essentially a remake of the original series can be considered canon.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”