Maya's Emotions

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Gboz [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gboz [ANF] » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:59 pm

When did Anno say Maya was a lesbo?

Originally posted on: 30-Mar-2006, 04:14 GMT

BigBet [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby BigBet [ANF] » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:59 pm

In the script for this scene,:-
Maya's Tangification
Maya's dialogues have Hearts after them. <3

In fact, I always felt that seeing how happy Maya is in that scene is what made it so disturbing :-
Maya: “SEMPAI ♥ SEMPAI ♥ SEMPAI ♥”
<splash>
<shot of Maya's hand>

Man... this is one sick movie. (I mean that in a good way, of course).

Originally posted on: 30-Mar-2006, 10:12 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:59 pm

BigBet wrote:In fact, I always felt that seeing how happy Maya is in that scene is what made it so disturbing :-

When I first saw that scene, that was the only time I thought there might be a happy ending, that despite SEELE's machinations, and Gendo's own agenda, that the Techno-Rapture might actually unfold, that poor innocent Maya had actually managed to escape a world that was slowly running down, emerging into something finer.

Just shows that what you see is contingent on what you bring to the party.

Originally posted on: 30-Mar-2006, 16:39 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:59 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:When I first saw that scene, that was the only time I thought there might be a happy ending, that despite SEELE's machinations, and Gendo's own agenda, that the Techno-Rapture might actually unfold

Hey, what's wrong with Gendo's agenda? :P

Regarding the Maya-lesbo stuff, just because nobody's mentioned this:

I was actually thinking -- maybe, possibly, AWL actually had made at least one "profound observation" on the Commentary of Evil after all.

During Shekinah's ascent...

...Maya seems to watch with a strange fascination...

...until she gets, uh... "fingered"?

(Beware: The linked animation is impractically hy00j.)

And then what sort of reaction do we get? (Okay, I'm just going to be a jerk and embed the GIFs this time.)

(CONTINUING...)

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 08:38 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

The way Maya clutches her head and shakes it from side to side seems somewhat reminiscent of this:

(The animation's timing probably sucks. Don't feel like fine-tuning it right now.)

Misato's gesticulations are the culmination of the following exchange with herself in episode #25, after Shinji watches her indoor recreational activities unapprovingly:
Misato (VOICE):
In all honesty, you are actually happy to show this to Shinji.

Misato:
That's a lie! You're wrong! Wrong!

Misato VOICE:
I don't know about that.
You actually want to show this to your father, don't you?

Misato:
You're wrong!

Misato VOICE:
You sought peace in Kaji's face as he slept.

Misato:
You're wrong!

Misato VOICE:
You sought peace in Kaji's warmth.

Misato:
You're wrong!

Misato VOICE:
You sought your father in Kaji's arms.

Misato:
It's not true!
Misato's, obviously, expressing rather extreme discomfort with her sexuality.

Is there some sort of connection to be made between Misato and Maya's head-shaking? Could "The Fingering" be in anticipation of this? (Seems like it damn well could be, regardless.)

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 08:50 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:59 pm

Good work!
Tho, when other people notice visual correlations like that (95% of the time, that means you, Reichu Image ), it makes me feel like I've been getting slack in my duties around here; I figured it was mostly up to me to notice things like that...

Originally posted on: 30-Mar-2006, 21:25 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Shin-seiki wrote:Tho, when other people notice visual correlations like that (95% of the time, that means you, Reichu Image ), it makes me feel like I've been getting slack in my duties around here; I figured it was mostly up to me to notice things like that...

Well, you've been a great teacher! Image

Originally posted on: 30-Mar-2006, 21:38 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:59 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Well, she was clearly trying to escape from his attentions. I'd filed it alongside her very sniffy reaction to seeing him and Misato in a tangle on the lift floor, and the naive idealism of some of her dialogue with Ritsuko, and thought of her as being more inclined to seek sighing and swooning romantic love, and try not to think about the messy squelchy carnal commerce of sex.

I think this scene plays out a little differently than that. Certainly, Maya's exit does not suggest that Misato's arrival was a welcome salvation. And her behaviour throughout is not indicative of somone recoiling from unwanted advances. And Kaji certainly appeared to think he was getting somewhere.

Then again, perhaps Maya was simply amused by his futile advances. But does her exit suggest it?

Reichu wrote:Is there some sort of connection to be made between Misato and Maya's head-shaking?

Almost certainly. But what can be said. It's interesting to note here that Misato is tormented by the suggestion that she sought her father in Kaji's arms? But what then would have tormented Maya so?

Consider that Maya obviously deeply respects and admires Ritsuko, but yet never at any point whatsoever, gave an indication of any romantic interest in her Sempai. Might Maya be secretly denying an attraction, even to herself? Might this be the suggestion that tormented her?

Originally posted on: 30-Mar-2006, 21:54 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:00 pm

No indication of romantic crap? Dude, look at what's already been said. Hearts on the script itself. HEARTS, for God's sake. I'm betting that if anything tormented her, it was that she knew Ritsuko would never go and be hers, being that she was heterosexual (the affiliation with Gendo being a prime example).

Originally posted on: 30-Mar-2006, 22:11 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:00 pm

OMF wrote:I think this scene plays out a little differently than that. Certainly, Maya's exit does not suggest that Misato's arrival was a welcome salvation. And her behaviour throughout is not indicative of somone recoiling from unwanted advances. And Kaji certainly appeared to think he was getting somewhere.

Then again, perhaps Maya was simply amused by his futile advances. But does her exit suggest it?
Is that really what your take on that that scene? I disagree with almost all of it. First we have Maya primly threatening to 'tell' on Kaji, to Misato or Ritsuko. Then, when Misato catches Kaji red-handed hitting on her, Maya scuttles away, red-face and embarassed that a superior officer caught her in such situation. I think if Misato hadn't shown up, and Kaji tried anything physical, Maya probably would have freaked out and kicked him in the ****...

Originally posted on: 30-Mar-2006, 22:22 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:00 pm

Treize X wrote:No indication of romantic crap? Dude, look at what's already been said. Hearts on the script itself. HEARTS, for God's sake. I'm betting that if anything tormented her, it was that she knew Ritsuko would never go and be hers, being that she was heterosexual (the affiliation with Gendo being a prime example).

The point is that there's no indication of any "romantic crap" before that one scene, which brings to mind the question of whether she was a lesbian through the entire series, or if it's just something that doesn't "happen" until EoE.

Originally posted on: 30-Mar-2006, 22:26 GMT

BigBet [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby BigBet [ANF] » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:00 pm

Unfortunately, Maya gets far too little screen time.... the exact nature of her relationship with Ritsuko is something I certainly wanted to see.

Of course, you could be right in implying(?) that the whole "Maya is a lesbian" thing was created just for EoE. After all she and the rest of the Bridge crew are the only ones who dont have a messed up past, so it is fitting that their "tangification" scenes show us that they too, are as messed up as the rest of Nerv.

Has anyone ever found a decent reason for why Aoba sees so many Rei-tachi and why he cowers in a corner from them? Methinks this scene is as strange as the Maya-Ritsuko scene, yet its the latter that has spawned the most fanfiction (Not that I'm complaining Image)

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 02:26 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:00 pm

BigBet wrote:Has anyone ever found a decent reason for why Aoba sees so many Rei-tachi and why he cowers in a corner from them?

Uhhh... ask Shin-seiki. Yeah. :elbow-elbow:

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 02:32 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:00 pm

Isn't Aoba the last of the group to go? If so, he may just be freaked out from seeing everybody else explode.
Why there are a bunch of Rei, and why they're naked (none of the others are!) is a different, weirder question.

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 02:44 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

LuigiHann wrote:Isn't Aoba the last of the group to go? If so, he may just be freaked out from seeing everybody else explode.

Nope, it goes...

#1: Hyuga
#2: Aoba
#3: Kozo
#4: Maya

(You can always reference this thing when in doubt.)

Although there's actually no reason why the Tangifications can't be occurring more or less concurrently. The above is just the sequence in which the individual characters get to hog the camera. Gendo's scene is probably happening at the same time, as well. ("Ikari, did you see Yui, too?")

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 02:49 GMT

Takumi [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Takumi [ANF] » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:00 pm

LuigiHann wrote:Isn't Aoba the last of the group to go? If so, he may just be freaked out from seeing everybody else explode.
Why there are a bunch of Rei, and why they're naked (none of the others are!) is a different, weirder question.

Maybe he's a 4chan veteran, and is now freaked out by DONATE TO 4CHAN-chan.

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 02:53 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:00 pm

They are naked because they are the destroyed Tank Reis (note the giggling). The problem you need to solve is: how can Aoba be seeing the Tank Reis? The other characters are familiar with the person they see. Aoba certainly has no knowledge of the Rei tank (Misato is his superior and she didn't know until Ritsuko showed her). I won't jump the gun on Shin-seiki and attempt to explain this. He has a project to examine this entire scene, which was started in order to refute a theory postulated on Eva Monkey's forum by OMF. Unfortunately, this project has been on his back burner for quite some time.

Hey, Scott!!!:

Talking Heads wrote:We're still waiting,
We're still waiting,
We're still waiting,
We're still waiting.........

When this is finally posted, it will blow OMF's theory (that instead of posing as peoples' loved ones Rei is channeling the genuine article) completely out of the water.

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 14:23 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

I've got it!

For every week that Shin-seiki procrastinates on his NGE-geek projects, Shinji masturbates at an unconscious Asuka's bedside. Twice if it's an especially bad week. "Tasukete... Tasukete, Asuka..."

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 15:17 GMT

Oburi [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Oburi [ANF] » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:01 pm

I think I just see an incredible admiration of Ritsuko from Maya.

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 18:41 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:01 pm

Reichu wrote:I've got it!

For every week that Shin-seiki procrastinates on his NGE-geek projects, Shinji masturbates at an unconscious Asuka's bedside. Twice if it's an especially bad week. "Tasukete... Tasukete, Asuka..."

You really don't have room to talk, Rach. Image

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2006, 18:56 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”