Does Asuka die?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael
User avatar
Posts: 925
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:57 am

Knives wrote:I simply figured ... well, to be honest, it doesn't matter what I "figured" Image , clearly whatever it was, isn't the case. I'll just continue (in my coridal, friendly discussions) as I have been until I become more accepted.

Aside from that, my inquiry over the author of the RCB may have been overlooked. I'm curious as to its author ... anyone know? (some form of evidence would be nice too Image [i.e. not just "Anno did, stupid" ... but like, if Anno had written it ... reference to a site stating this or something ...]).
I'm not aware of any evidence that Anno personally wrote it. It's the program booklet for the theatrical release of EoE, so I suppose its a product of the Publicity/Marketing Departments of GAINAX and whatever outfit released/distributed the movie, tho I would assume that it was submitted to Anno and the other writers and directors for their approval, at the very least. It contains a few obvious errors that I seriously doubt Anno would have made if he had actually written it himself...

Originally posted on: 23-Sep-2004, 04:34 GMT

Knives [ANF]
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 125
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Knives [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:57 am

Reichu wrote:If you've come here expecting people to automatically accept your ideas, you're not going to get too far. Ol' RahOtaku strolled onto the forum with rather grand aspirations of becoming "the next MDWigs", or some such thing, and all he really did as a result was irritate a lot of people and get himself banned; apparently, he didn't take at all into consideration what has made Wigs such a respected figure in the first place... But I digress. If you're going to debate NGE in a forum setting, I would be quite wary about treating your ideas as something precious; inevitably, a lot of them are going to go out the window, but it's all in the name of progress!

I have this feeling you've already made your mind up about me (to quote Misato) ... so I won't stress the matter. I'm just here for friendly discussion, but apparently you only wish to be friends with those who agree with you and feel that if someone has a view different than yours and can actually back it up with something, that this person is your enemy.

I'm not saying this the way you "necessarily" are ... it's just what I'm sensing, based on certain responses to things I've said (debate related or not).

I hold no personal animosity, nor do I intend to stir up anger in you or any other person here. My intention has always been to simply point out where I find what I believe to be erroneous commonly held beliefs on the Eva universe, supported by what I feel to be compelling evidence, in a friendly manner of open discourse.

If I have strayed from this unwittingly (which I concede I may have at some point), then I apologize. The only time I can remember doing such was a sarcastic comment that I had assumed would be recognized as such, given my time here. What I had figured was that by now, my style would be recognizable, especially by you with whom I have discussed much. Clearly (that time) I was wrong. Therefore, in the future, I will make myself much more clear in my intentions, and assume nothing Image .

Originally posted on: 23-Sep-2004, 05:59 GMT

Knives [ANF]
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 125
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Knives [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:57 am

Shin-seiki wrote:I'm not aware of any evidence that Anno personally wrote it. It's the program booklet for the theatrical release of EoE, so I suppose its a product of the Publicity/Marketing Departments of GAINAX and whatever outfit released/distributed the movie, tho I would assume that it was submitted to Anno and the other writers and directors for their approval, at the very least. It contains a few obvious errors that I seriously doubt Anno would have made if he had actually written it himself...

About that ... why is it then that the RCB is considered the "Eva" Bible so to speak? I admit there's some interesting stuff in there, but as you say, there are some clear errors.
I concede that I am not versed in the RCB, but while looking up this info about the author (very briefly), I scanned a section on "LCL" where it gave the manga's definition (what the letters stand for), which, from what I understand, is generally agreed not to be the case for the series ... but that it was just something made up by manga's author. It just seems to me that given that so much is in error, that perhaps the RCB should not be considered the end all, be all of Eva (I'm prepared for my flaming now ... Image ).

Originally posted on: 23-Sep-2004, 06:05 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael
User avatar
Posts: 925
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:57 am

Knives wrote:About that ... why is it then that the RCB is considered the "Eva" Bible so to speak? I admit there's some interesting stuff in there, but as you say, there are some clear errors.
I concede that I am not versed in the RCB, but while looking up this info about the author (very briefly), I scanned a section on "LCL" where it gave the manga's definition (what the letters stand for), which, from what I understand, is generally agreed not to be the case for the series ... but that it was just something made up by manga's author. It just seems to me that given that so much is in error, that perhaps the RCB should not be considered the end all, be all of Eva (I'm prepared for my flaming now ... Image ).
The consensus around here is that it is reliable, except, well, when it isn't... In other words, feel free to quote it to back up an argument, except for a very few inexplicable flubs where it is directly contradicted by the evidence of the show itself. The hierarchy of canonicity goes something like this:
1: What is said and shown in the series/movies. The New Production Cut and EoE are the "final" version, and thus supercede the broadcast version in canonicity, in any theoretical divergence between the two.
2: The words of Anno himself, and of other senior members of the NGE team at GAINAX.
3: Supplemental published sources officially sanctioned by GAINAX, such as the RCB, the various Newtype filmbooks, and the Cardass Masters card game, etc.
4: The manga by Sadamoto. The manga is basically canon only with reference to itself, but may be referenced in those areas where it offers more detailed info on subjects that the series is vague about, such as the background of SEELE, as long as it doesn't actually contradict the facts as presented in the series.
5: Least reliable is the stuff that ADV (or VIZ, for that matter) came up with that they put on the packaging and other promotional materials.

Originally posted on: 23-Sep-2004, 13:31 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3651
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:57 am

Knives wrote:I concede that I am not versed in the RCB, but while looking up this info about the author (very briefly), I scanned a section on "LCL" where it gave the manga's definition (what the letters stand for), which, from what I understand, is generally agreed not to be the case for the series ...


The "RCB" actually says that LCL does NOT stand for "LINK CONNECT LIQUID". This is an error that Viz propagated in one of the manga dossier sections, but it actually originated within the Japanese NGE fan community (why else would the "RGB" mention it?).

Originally posted on: 24-Sep-2004, 00:12 GMT

Brada1988 [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 6
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Brada1988 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:57 am

Hey i think your all wrong about the end of the series. Here's why:
1) Rei is Lilith.
2) Lilith is the mother of all humanity.
3) Everyone but Shinji died.
4) Lilith(Rei) places Shinji next to a rencarnated Asuka
5) Thus humanity recieves a new Adam and Eve and starts all over again.
if you find any errors(other then spelling) or have any comments please let me know.

Originally posted on: 01-Dec-2004, 04:05 GMT

Brada1988 [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 6
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Brada1988 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:57 am

I forgot to mention that Asuka died in the assult from the Eva series and that is why she didn't burst or even see the "Rei-Vision"

Originally posted on: 01-Dec-2004, 04:08 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1145
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:57 am

Brada1988 wrote:Hey i think your all wrong about the end of the series. Here's why:
1) Rei is Lilith.
2) Lilith is the mother of all humanity.
3) Everyone but Shinji died.
4) Lilith(Rei) places Shinji next to a rencarnated Asuka
5) Thus humanity recieves a new Adam and Eve and starts all over again.
if you find any errors(other then spelling) or have any comments please let me know.

Rei is a Yui clone with Lilith's soul. She herself is not Lilith. Even at the end where she is gigantic, she is a merge of Rei, Lilith(plus her soul),Kaworu, and Adam's fetus(and her soul as well). Adam is female
Also, Everyone has the chance to come back into their human(or and other living creature's)form, If they they can see themsevles.They are not going to start humanity over again.
We(or at least I) can't verify on weather or not Asuka saw Rei. I'm assuming she did, as all the Reis saw every creature.

Originally posted on: 01-Dec-2004, 04:31 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3651
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:57 am

Rei appearing to a paramecium... :chortle:

Shinji "died", BTW. His ego went "bloop" and he turned into a puddle, just earlier than everyone else did.

Originally posted on: 01-Dec-2004, 04:37 GMT

Knives [ANF]
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 125
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Knives [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:57 am

Brada1988 wrote:3) Everyone but Shinji died.

... Everyone died in a physical sense, yes. But spiritually .. well, that's a matter for another discussion entirely Image .

Originally posted on: 01-Dec-2004, 04:41 GMT

yjs [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 12
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby yjs [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:57 am

tv33 wrote:The rust on the cross

But doesn’t rust take mouths to develop? I don’t think they have been just laying there for that long.


By the end of the movie, I don't think it's a good idea to take things as they are. It's kind of like the bible, if we intepret everything visually then it won't make any sense. So I think the rust is there either for visual effect or to represent the mood of the scene (which you can argue, is also a visual effect).

Originally posted on: 04-Dec-2004, 06:35 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3651
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:57 am

Is there any reason to believe that "I Need You" isn't taking place in reality?

Originally posted on: 04-Dec-2004, 20:38 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael
User avatar
Posts: 925
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:58 am

Reichu wrote:Is there any reason to believe that "I Need You" isn't taking place in reality?
Indeed; I thought that the notion of "harsh reality" is what 'I Need You' is all about...

Originally posted on: 04-Dec-2004, 11:01 GMT


Return to “AnimeNation Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest